Brink Review

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

psivamp:

Zhukov:

I have an iMac running Windows 7 (aka a "hackintosh"), i7 processor.

Hackintosh is actually the other way around, running Mac OS X on a machine not built by Apple. By the way, Apple's protection is easily the stupidest thing ever. A proprietary chip on the motherboard that decrypts a few chunks of the kernel?

Oh.

I did not know that. Better do an edit before I confuse somebody.

As for Apple's protection... I have no idea. I'm really not computer-savvy. To me, "kernel" means a grain of corn or wheat. I just use Macs because I like OSX a lot more than Windows.

After 40 hours, I don't think I will be bored anytime soon. I love the bots for one since I always wanted a MP game with bots, and the bots ain't that bad, once you get used to their aptitude to always do secondary first then the primary, if the weather is good. They care about the weather these damn bots.

I like this game...not love but like. It's fresh and it's not COD. So I'm still giving it a chance to mature. Worse come to worst Splash Damage will learn and come back stronger next time.

A balanced and even-handed review, Mr. Butts. Brink definitely isn't perfect, but for some people (like me) is the perfect mix of slick aesthetic and (mostly) cooperative gameplay. And it actually makes me want to play against real people, so maybe the dodgy AI is actually doing exactly what it's supposed to...

I'm glad you got to play into it more, because I've been having hopes for this game and you have convinced me that on my first paycheck (which isn't far out) I'm going to get this game. And thanks for the headsup on the SMART controls, I'll try to be a little more careful.

matrix3509:
inb4 "Spy sappin mah sentry!"

No, its more Akin to "Operative Taking control of my Sentry and now using it to mow my Team Down from behind" kinda play.

Also, Weapons arnt Class Specific. you could have a Heavy Medic with a minigun and shotgun or a Light Medic with Just an SMG and Pistol Running Around like Mad Healing and buffing Everyone. Weapon Changes are done CoD4 Style with Attachments and Scopes added. Unlocking Weapons isnt hard either. you get 50% from The Start and the rest can be gained from Doing the 4 challange maps on the 2/3 Difficulties it gives you.

Not Tried Multiplayer yet since ive been told LAG is an issue until at pach is out(or could be out not been on in a few days. but i reckon the Game will be fun with you and a group of mates.

I'm really not in the mood for yet another:

If you can get past all the obstacles the game puts in your way, there's a lot of fun to be had here.

What's the deal with this being the case for so many games these days? I feel it's a sad state of affairs when "positive" reviews always have to include this disclaimer. If you have to dig through layers of bullshit to find an enjoyable aspect, to me it's not a good game.
Is Bethesda becoming the leader in releasing shoddy bugged games?

I really tried to like Brink, I just couldn't do it.

vxicepickxv:
I don't really know if I have the time to devote two hours to learning how to play a game before it starts to get good anymore, especially now that Steam is offering stuff up daily.

The only reason you'll have to learn it is if your mind is filled with generic COD shooters so much that you only respond to 2 bullet kills and head shots.

beema:
I'm really not in the mood for yet another:

If you can get past all the obstacles the game puts in your way, there's a lot of fun to be had here.

What's the deal with this being the case for so many games these days? I feel it's a sad state of affairs when "positive" reviews always have to include this disclaimer. If you have to dig through layers of bullshit to find an enjoyable aspect, to me it's not a good game.
Is Bethesda becoming the leader in releasing shoddy bugged games?

Splash Damage - Developer (they worked on Enemy Territories: Rtcw and Quake Wars)
Bethesda - Publisher

Based on the performance I get on my PC initially, and the outdated visual that goes along, it plays more like a badly ported, and poorly optimized game.

Another good review from Mr Butts. Hopefully more patches are going to roll out soon.

Overall if I have one real complaint it's how linear the character progression is, I mean sure it's nice that I get perk upon perk upon perk, but the classes all develop the same way which does leave me a bit apprehensive, One classic example of this being a real problem is the engineer class and their turrets, there are 3 turret types (Light/Medium/Heavy) and they are all just linear upgrades, I just wish they did more to differentiate the class builds, for instance letting me build like 3 light turrets as opposed to the 1 heavy turret and stuff like that. Splash Damage has promised DLC so we may have new maps/guns/customization down the road.

The game is awesome, I like as it is, but I can't turn a blind eye over a couple of issues that are still bugging me, like the performance, the lag and a couple of gameplay related things.

Overall, this game is exactly as I expected it, it's simply awesome.

Maybe it's because I am a PC gamer, but I found that the gameplay was incredibly intuitive and easy. I jumped right in without needing to learn anything new. I have also not had any of the problems that other people say they are having, so I am happy as a pig in shit with this game. Especially now that I apparently get free DLC for the PSN being down and other people forgetting to update video drivers. Yay!

To anyone who gave up on the game, I would say don't. I have heard people saying, Oh I played it for two hours but I'm done it suck. All I can say is that it is impossible to absorb the game in that time. Play this game through, try out the different things it has to offer, and get to be good at it. I mean REALLY GOOD. It's few enough games these days that give us the opportunity to actually hone a skill. IMO the gamepleay is intuitive, but challenging. That is where the learning is, not in how to play, but how to play well. I think if you take that approach, and the time to get great at the game, you will love it to death. I know I do, and I'm not even great at it yet, but I can hold my own.

Also, for those with AI problems, just stop playing on easy.

AND TO THOSE LOOKING FOR TF2...PLAY TF2! This game is unique, enjoy it for itself and on its own merits.

cainx10a:

Splash Damage - Developer (they worked on Enemy Territories: Rtcw and Quake Wars)
Bethesda - Publisher

Based on the performance I get on my PC initially, and the outdated visual that goes along, it plays more like a badly ported, and poorly optimized game.

Oh yes, I'm aware that Bethesda didn't develop it.
I'm just saying, as publisher, Bethesda has some responsibility for QA.
Their last big release prior to Brink was New Vegas, another game infamous for bugs.
If they don't impose some better QA on their developers, they themselves should take on the bad reputation for bugs.

Im glad not everyone like brink, im hoping that could weed out most of the online jerks who shout profanity. Hopefully it will cut down on them anyway.

Brink...

The good, it's not CoD and that is truly what's great about it. The style and feel of the game were refreshing and nice. Despite what everyone says, I found the AI to be similar to everything else, dumb of course but rarely. SMART is a cool concept but usually unnecessary and occasionally runs you into stuff. The HUD didn't bother me.

The bad, pretty much everything else. I found it excruciatingly boring and easy even when it's trying to be hard, everything's really samey to something I've played before. The classes aren't really varied and there's a plethora of games that have done this much better. I do really like the art style and the customization though, too bad they couldn't give us 3 female models in addition though, strange for a game that boasts its insane customization to drop a gender. The skill sets were odd, why could I not shoot a grenade on the ground unless I have this arbitrary point?

I played it, beat it, and took it back yesterday. Thankfully I had my receipt so I got a full cash back. :3

Steve Butts:
Brink Review

If you can look past the problems, there's a lot of fun to be had here.

Read Full Article

On an unrelated note: oh, my freakin' God, that old "Land of Confusion" video. Seriously, how did that even enter your mind after all these years? I haven't thought about it for waaaay too long...

First review I've actually seen discussing the game rather than spewing on the nitpicks for paragraphs at a time. It even feels like Steve Butts took the time to learn how to play the game before finishing the review. In an era where most reviewers will throw a game under the buss if they don't "get it" right away I'm duly impressed.

I found the game strongest once you start to learn the effective ranges of specific weapon types and how to leverage the incredible martial combat aspect of the game. Grenades, Molotov's and slide kicks make for some really memorable moments within the game. Couple that with the SMART system, the various traversal routes and verticality of each map you'll learn something new each time you play.

For the tactical FPS player this game is golden. It's got multiple flanking routes, team buff mechanics and some of the neatest toys the FPS genre has to offer. You'll never be out of things to do with Brink.

If you're a deathmatch fan who can't stand objective team play, approach Brink with caution. Transition from games like CoD, Halo and Gears will be an uphill struggle. It's a game where kills aren't the lynchpin, it's tactics. And learning tactics take time.

.[B@lL15T1C].:

EDIT-(also I would use D2D but I heard their steam keys are not working atm aswell)

Just a heads up, myself and 2 friends bought Brink from D2D yesterday with absolutely no hassle. I know D2D had trouble when the game first came out, but as far as I know it's all fine now.

Great review :) it was the first even-handed review I've seen, actually. Too many reviewers are focusing on the flaws in the SMART system and not on the fantastic objective-based, team play. The game definitely has flaws, but at the very least it's worth a rental.. and I'm happy to have spent 30 on it.

Dastardly:
On an unrelated note: oh, my freakin' God, that old "Land of Confusion" video. Seriously, how did that even enter your mind after all these years? I haven't thought about it for waaaay too long...

Right? Something about those strangely proportioned heads just kept reminding me of those horrid puppets from DC Follies. But since most people remember the Genesis video more than the show, I just went with that.

AngelicSven:
Brink...

The good, it's not CoD and that is truly what's great about it. The style and feel of the game were refreshing and nice. Despite what everyone says, I found the AI to be similar to everything else, dumb of course but rarely. SMART is a cool concept but usually unnecessary and occasionally runs you into stuff. The HUD didn't bother me.

The bad, pretty much everything else. I found it excruciatingly boring and easy even when it's trying to be hard, everything's really samey to something I've played before. The classes aren't really varied and there's a plethora of games that have done this much better. I do really like the art style and the customization though, too bad they couldn't give us 3 female models in addition though, strange for a game that boasts its insane customization to drop a gender. The skill sets were odd, why could I not shoot a grenade on the ground unless I have this arbitrary point?

I played it, beat it, and took it back yesterday. Thankfully I had my receipt so I got a full credit back. :3

While I admit Brink is not for everyone I must say that you didn't play it long enough to fully figure out what makes the game unique and fun. Sure you might have beat the campaign mode but how did you beat it? Against bots? Easy or Hard? Versus humans? With friends?

Brink takes longer than a day to learn and by your samey comment I know immediately that you were playing it like a standard shooter. While you can easily equip all your weps with an RDS and stand at range firing from a camped position Brink does far more. I'm pretty sure there's not a single other shooter out there that lets you vault over a ledge, kick an enemy over and shoot him without actually breaking stride.

You're probably just the wrong kind of player for Brink and that's fine. I'm just certain there's a lot of game you missed by simply playing it like a something it's not.

Bought it for 37 quid in the local shop, mainly because I didn't have anything else to play. Can't really say I enjoyed it massively, as I completed the 2 campaigns in a few hours to find that the multiplayer was just those maps again. The experience was definately more fun online, but I kinda wish I'd held back until it was cheaper.

Luckily, HMV are doing a deal this Friday where you can trade in Brink and get 35 off anything instore. Will trade it in, and get L.A Noire. :)

beema:

cainx10a:

Bethesda - Publisher

Oh yes, I'm aware that Bethesda didn't develop it.
I'm just saying, as publisher, Bethesda has some responsibility for QA.
Their last big release prior to Brink was New Vegas, another game infamous for bugs.
If they don't impose some better QA on their developers, they themselves should take on the bad reputation for bugs.

A sad and ugly truth, considering the poor reception of Rogue Warrior was it? The first game Bethesda released as a publisher.

But on the positive side, Obsidian did a decent job of fixing New Vegas, which is, in my honest opinion, superior to Fallout 3. Brink is just one week old, now it all depends how SD will handle the support of this game. They already have a free DLC pack scheduled for release in June.

Old school shooters? This has pretty much nothing in common with them.

OT: I don't like the game, as I bought it for singleplayer based on the promises of it being good. The gameplay and mechanics are pretty solid, but I find the slow pace boring.

It's a real shame, as this was my most anticipated game for a long time :(

Wandrecanada:

AngelicSven:
Brink...

I played it, beat it, and took it back yesterday. Thankfully I had my receipt so I got a full credit back. :3

While I admit Brink is not for everyone I must say that you didn't play it long enough to fully figure out what makes the game unique and fun. Sure you might have beat the campaign mode but how did you beat it? Against bots? Easy or Hard? Versus humans? With friends?

Brink takes longer than a day to learn and by your samey comment I know immediately that you were playing it like a standard shooter. While you can easily equip all your weps with an RDS and stand at range firing from a camped position Brink does far more. I'm pretty sure there's not a single other shooter out there that lets you vault over a ledge, kick an enemy over and shoot him without actually breaking stride.

You're probably just the wrong kind of player for Brink and that's fine. I'm just certain there's a lot of game you missed by simply playing it like a something it's not.

I beat the campaigns on hard (mostly with bots, friends joined in later), as I typically go for the most difficult and scale down if need be. I dabbled in multiplayer objectives/deathmatches when it was up a bit with a couple buddies who snagged it and it was alright, not outstanding. As how I play it, I play tactically not how you're assuming I do, I love objectives opposed to deathmatch and I don't really run and gun, I typically play medic/support (I preferred Light Medic), which did have fun play mechanics, and find flanking/vantage points. After campaign, we pretty much just dicked around in multiplayer, and I decided I wanted my 60 bucks to buy something else.

Where'd you get a day from? It was released the 10th, but my local shop broke street date and I got it on the 8th, I played it for 6-8 days, easily enough time to find enough of Brink to hook me with something, it just didn't. You shouldn't be so assuming or passive aggressive about it, just because I didn't like a game you did.

mmm...i think i'll just stick to s.t.a.l.k.e.r, like the customization though.

This is a mini-review I wrote elsewhere and gives my feelings on the game.

---

I own Brink on the PC, via Steam preorder. I bought as a Splash Damage title, having enjoyed the gameplay of Wolf:ET and ET:QW on both Linux and Windows for years, along with their associated mods. Here's my impressions so far

Bugs/Quality etc...: So far, I'm not seeing the glitches other seem to be. Admittedly, I'm running a Core i7 920 at 3.8ghz, 6gb RAM, and an ATI 6970 2gb (with 11.4 Catalyst drivers). Everything is smooth, good looking

Appearance Customization: More than what one would expect in a generic FPS, but the whole "We had to cut out female player models because we couldn't customize it" I can see is absolute bullshit. There's a nice handful of clothes, hairstyles etc... and all that unlockable stuff, relatively quickly, but from someone who's played Borderlands, Global Agenda, and any modern MMORPG, we're not looking at "a lot" of appearance add-ons. The stuff that exists looks good, and there's little overlap between Security and Resistance. Player faces and whatnot are a bit plain and often look like everyone's juiced way too hard on steroids and afflicted with Sarah Jessica Parker face. If you like "short and messy" hairstyles, you'll be happy. If you like long hair, prepare to be disappointed. Of note, there is probably the highest ratio of black hairstyles to non-black hairstyles in any game, ever - they can be equipped on anyone of course, but they just don't look quite right. If you like tattoos, there are a handful to choose from, but nearly all of them are obvious "I am a crazy gangbanger, my entire face is covered" types. Body size is the only stat that means something in the game (Light, Med, Heavy), so pay attention to the tooltip when they unlock for you.

Weapons - A nice compliment of weapons unlocked from the start. Note that your default "Medium" body, will NOT let you see ALL the weapons - you have to switch to others. Remember that ammo is bloody important, so be or find a "Soldier" class to resupply or else you're going to run out. You'll see a lot of users with SMGs because they strike a balance between power and ammo - Spray and pray is NOT going to work in this game. I do find that I'd like there to be a little more variation in the different guns and hope they add more later - sometimes it seems there's no reason to use certain guns at all, like the pistols, which seem underpowered, especially the revolver - which makes the sound of the big handcannon and has huge kick, but less damage than it really should given its low ammo and fire rate. Guns feel pretty..conventional, but the customization is nice. Basically, you unlock a set number of customizations - for instance, different scopes (Those pre-ordering from Steam get a nice low bulk scope along with a machine pistol. Generally, I think the scope is the best preorder bonus in terms of actual function. In addition, the Hockler Machine Pistol is very nice for a light bodytype, though someone said its stats are identical to another MP) have different effects on your vision, but its a balancing act - a bigger scope zooms you in farther, but also obscures your peripheral vision more, and weighs your gun down so you swap to the weapon slower. Do you choose an extended clip, or duct-tape clips that make every other reload near instant? Underbarrel grenade launcher, or a front handle to increase stability? Silencers keep you from being shown on the minimap when you fire, but reduce damage around 7%.

Abilities - Each character levels up and gets points to spend on talents, a la Battlefield BC2 and whatnot. There are general pools and those specific to each of the 4 traditional Splash Damage classes. These range from allowing you to toss a grenade when sprinting, to an engineer constructing heavier turrets, to a medic's "revive grenade" bringing everyone back to life in an AOE. Each ability costs 1 "point", but it is important to note that until you rank up (1 Star, 2 Star etc...) there are certain abilities that are locked to you. These ranks are not the same as levels, but it seems that every few levels (5?) you gain a new rank. I wish that there was more of a display of rank/titles in game - with persistent characters it would be nice to have different insignia applicable to any clothes unlock, or certain clothes that could only be worn by someone with a certain Level, Rank, and proficiency in a class (For instance, a gold wrench with laurels around it on your shoulder and collar is only available to someone who has totally spec'ed out the complete engineering tree, or someone at level X can choose a Lieutenant's bar for Security, or a hastily scrawled icon for Resistance). This kind of thing would be a simple layer of configuration that seems silly not to include.

Gameplay - Overall, this is an Enemy Territory heritage game, mixed with movement from Mirror's Edge. Definitely "skill based' and teamwork is required. The movement is fluid, and learning the best way to navigate various levels is important, taking into consideration the body type you're using. Wall jumps and whatnot are important, you "see" your arms and hands as you pull yourself up and much like Mirror's Edge, movement has the correct "weight" to it. I haven't decided if I like how the weapons feel yet, but I'm not a connoisseur of modern FPS. I can see how a lot of people are going to pan the game for what amounts to their own shortcomings - there's no "get a kill streak and hit the I win button" here, TEAMWORK is the name of the game. I like that. Nomatter your class, you have a job to do and Brink makes it easy to do - hold "F" to do whatever you're supposed to do to someone else, or X for some self-action. Soldiers replenish their own ammo or others, and plant det packs for destruction objectives. Engineers buff their and others damage (plus other features, such as armor, depending on talents), build turrets, fix/build/break objectives etc... Medics heal and buff others and revived downed allies through a relatively novel approach - they toss "revive syringes" to downed-but-not-dead allies, who then have to press X to use it and revive, stopping the whole "Shock paddles, I'm standing straight up, now I'm dead again" thing, Agents can don disguises from a dead enemy (with talents, doing so shows everyone on your team the enemy team's location, for a second), complete hack objectives, throw stickybombs, "firewall" control points, and "spot" enemies which creates a red outline of that enemy's location that your team can see even through walls,. Its important to note that classes do not restrict weapons unlike most games - body type does. Melee Attacks take skill and you can actually knock an enemy down, but I'd like to see a little more variety than simple smacks with rifle butts or pistol whipping - bladed or blunt weapons would have added another layer to the game. Work together or you'll find yourself out of ammo and getting blown to bits.

Multiplayer/ Campaign - Enemy Territory style, there is a campaign of around 12 multi-faceted maps with different objectives. Its what I expected for a Splash Damage game, but I admit I'm a little underwhelmed. I was expecting something a bit more comprehensive for a full price title, but then again I'm a bigger fan of Borderlands and Global Agenda (Planetside too!) than any other traditional FPS.

Single Player - This is where I have to say my greatest disappointment is found. There is no single player campaign. None. You can play any of the multiplayer campaign or challenges solo if you wish. There's a little intro and exit cinematic (not prerendered at least, game engine) to talk about the mission and how it relates to the story, but its quite terse. I was expecting a sprawling, Borderlands-like campaign - there was so much potential! The whole "Ark" thing had me envisioning walking through a slum and seeing the kids there, branching morality paths deciding if a Security officer like myself is going to let someone go even if they steal food (which will then help later, as that NPC would open a door for me etc..), or dispense "justice" with my nightstick (which would lead to another officer giving me a bandoleer for the entertainment) etc... I can't honestly believe they charge $50 for this. Even bloody Call of Duty had a better single player campaign. Inexcusable in this day and age. Had it been more like Borderlands, it could have been great.

Conclusion: If you're the type that cares about the single player game, this is not the title for you. If you focus mostly on multiplayer and like "traditional" FPSes, I'd rank it above all the Medal of Honor/Call of Duty/ Battlefield etc.. .clones in recent years. If you liked the old WolfET/ET:QW you're getting more of the same. Customization is good, but they really need to add a LOT of new content to make it worth $50. At the end of the day it comes to being merely "Good" , when it could have been "great". If Bethesda/SplashDamage doesn't drop the price quick and/or include a TON of free DLC, people will probably find it rather forgettable, which is unfortunate given its potential and setting. If you can pick it up for $25 or less or when it goes on sale, its probably a worthy addition to your FPS collection. I really hope the devs get on their ass to add everything under the sun, lest it be a flop.

Buy Instead: "Section 8: Prejudice" - Its amazing for $12-15 from Steam!

I really enjoy the game! Finished both campaigns, am doing the challenges, but the lag I have experienced online has been rather bad. When that's fixed, then I will probably love this game even more. LOVE the customisation!

i may not add much to this conversation but the game really is good if not for content alone. sure it may have MINOR flaws in execution but im enjoying it far more than ive enjoyed most shooters lately ._. shockingly even to me im kinda prefering brink over battlefield and halo right now so.....its worth picking up.

vxicepickxv:
I don't really know if I have the time to devote two hours to learning how to play a game before it starts to get good anymore, especially now that Steam is offering stuff up daily.

Took me about 10 minutes to get into the game.

DeaconSawyer:

Also, for those with AI problems, just stop playing on easy.

yeah, i agree here. i really dont understand the few complaints ive heard about the AI. I have been handed my own posterior a good few times playing the AI alone on normal. They will do some unexpected things sometimes that usually only a player would think of and leave you questioning what just happened. ive honestly had two different occasions where i meant to play online versus and didnt even notice i wastn playing against people until the match ended and i saw the names of the bots.

I haven't tried this game yet, but I don't think it is for me, sadly. I would like to try it out, but if I have to spend a lot of time learning how to play then I guess I'm not able to devote myself to it. I lose patience too quickly. I wish I could be young again... or work as a game reviewer...

I was hyping this game for a long time. When I first played it, I was really underwhelmed, but I soon grew to love it. My biggest dissapointments are the lack of a party system (You have to invite friends in-game) and how you have to wait for people to join your game. This has me playing with a lot of bots even when I have it set at versus where anyone can join. This game is very fun with friends as well, especially if your group has poeple using various body types and classes. I'm dedicated to heavy medic. If you find one psrticulor play style that suits you well, the game is more enjoyable.

Love this game, it's a shame that it's having problems with lag at the moment but when you get a game with a good connection it's one of the most fun multiplayer games I've played in a while. Can't wait until the lag is patched.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here