Zero Punctuation: Mortal Kombat

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

definitely the guy from quantum leap.

He has an excellent point at the end, it would be far more enjoyable debating X vs. Y through this medium.

Ranorak:

iLikeHippos:
---

Also, why is it spelled Kombat, with a K?!

Kause It's kool.

Too bad there are so many lawyers with figures in the pie, a AAA mugen with EVERYONE would be really awesome

Garfield vs Robocop, Godzilla vs Kermit, Abraham Lincoln vs The Bride from Kill Bill, Fat Elvis vs Bob Ross, Tom Cruise vs Hammurabi etc etc etc

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:

Henkie36:
Another great review.

Huh, I see you've perfected the time machine. I mean, that's the only way you could possibly watch a roughly 5-minute video in time to comment on it only one minute after it was posted...right?

OT:...What's wrong with the new Dr. Who?

Maybe he IS Dr. Who!

Dead_Boy:
I actually fund last weeks episode brilliant (doctor who that is) :(

Seconded. Neil Gaiman is a god. Proof: http://jimhines.livejournal.com/463935.html

imnotparanoid:
Hey! I like new Doctor who!
And I hate fighting games, what does that make me?

Somebody who probably had no real reason to watch the review?

The last Mortal Kombat game I bought was um, hmm, let me think. Oh, right, Mortal Kombat 2. Not looking to start now.

ScarBrow07:
Marty Mcfly would win. Just sayin

Yeah, but it's not that simple. Sam would have the upper edge physically for most of the fight, they'd both jump back and forth between 1942 and 1990 then finally Marty would trick Sam into jumping into one of Biff's ancestors and send him driving into a truck of manure.

FYI, Marty McFly all the way.

So the best thing to do for fighters is to essentially turn them into a punchy version of the Madden franchise?

Dear me. What could possibly go wrong.

Something felt off in this review. Im not sure what but it was something.

farq1414:
how did he get it?

good review none the less

Lots of Australians have the game.
When it really comes down to it, Customs don't open every package that comes into the country to look at it directly and try and match it up to a huge list of banned content/materials.
Hell, an Australian online store called ozgameshop had it in stock (Not that it lasted very long, and they're useless when it comes to re-stocking)

I just can't get my head around why so many fighters are so same-y. Why has the design of 'memorize esoteric combos in a side-angle perspective' hardly changed in two decades?

Apart from being piss-awful, Final Fantasy Dissidia seemed like a step in the right direction. Three dimensions, quick and responsive platforming; it was like Kingdom Hearts or Devil May Cry if they had multiplayer. I want more of THAT.

I wonder what Yahtzee thought of David Tenant...

So yeah, neither Yahtzee's review not the fact that Mortal Kombat is being banned in Australia really aren't going to have a lot of impact on my decision not to buy it. Still, funny one this week. I did audibly laugh at the challenge tower thing.

Dr Sam Beckett would clearly win. The show had him kicking ass six ways to Sunday regularly, where as Marty just tends to get lucky or rely on cheap tricks to win.

I thought 'Doctor Who' was was a silly kids show until Charlie Brooker convinced me otherwise.

BAH! That opener was HILARIOUS! XD

Whether or not Kratos was put added to the roster as an act of "desperation", I'm not ashamed to say I've fallen victim to the ploy. I wasn't even considering the game (never was a big Mortal Kombat fan in the first place) until I saw the one+ minute trailer of Kratos kicking MK character ass. I mean, I still haven't bought it yet: I'm waiting for it to come down in price (Kratos isn't worth $60 unless it's his own game, and not one he's just featured in), but I am going to get it. Sooner than later.

teknoarcanist:
I just can't get my head around why so many fighters are so same-y. Why has the design of 'memorize esoteric combos in a side-angle perspective' hardly changed in two decades?

Apart from being piss-awful, Final Fantasy Dissidia seemed like a step in the right direction. Three dimensions, quick and responsive platforming; it was like Kingdom Hearts or Devil May Cry if they had multiplayer. I want more of THAT.

Dissidia was an RPG masher.
Tourney players don't want games like that because spacing attacks and movement becomes too guess-y with Dissidia's camera style, not to mention there's very little mind work going on in Dissidia, it's very much a Rock Paper Scissors game.
And because Tournaments, and tourney players in general are GREAT sources for cheap/free marketing for the game, Capcom and Namco became very good at creating a middle ground where both casual players and Tourney players can really enjoy SF and Tekken (As opposed to Virtua Fighter, which Casual players completely ignore these days, or Soul Calibur, which tourney players laugh at, but is never played super-seriously anymore)
HOWEVER.
Tourney players worldwide all agree that Virtual-ON, a game with dissidia's style, but with a huge focus on long-range combat, is an incredibly good game, it's the casual players (The one's who enjoy Dissida) who, for the most part, didn't care about Virtual-ON, which is a big reason there's been a lack of "innovation" in Fighting games in the recent years.

ScarBrow07:
Marty Mcfly would win. Just sayin

But Sam Becket knows like three kinds of kung fu and has repeatedly punched racism in the face!

Holy double post, batman!

uh oh
Did he just insult Doctor Who?
My fwagile wittle world is cwumbling!

Pretty sure the guy from Quantum Leap was an ex-military martial artist or something. I'm gonna put my money on that guy.

I haven't been into fighting games in a long time. I traded in a couple games and got this game for $7.33, and I'm not disappointed at all. I wouldn't pay full price for the game, but $40 would be the most I would. There is quite a bit to do in the game to keep you entertained.

Either way, This review, like all his other ones, entertained me.

well it WAS one of the original gore-fest games that most likely started the whole "video games make kids shoot kids" fad.. I do remember playing it back in the day... but honestly, it's been done, i don't care anymore...

The new Doctor is bloody awesome, nearly Tennant class.

Didn't really enjoy this review tho, didn't entertain me like others have

Thumbs up if you're going off to play mugen now.
Oh wait, this isn't youtube.

I think I got a "I'm feeling too old now" + "too young" at the same time. Never watched the doctor thing, and missed the latest adaptation.

Hmmm...I'm probably not getting this game.

well it WAS one of the original gore-fest games that most likely started the whole "video games make kids shoot kids" fad.. I do remember playing it back in the day... but honestly, it's been done, i don't care anymore...

Why did the video show Yahtzee's friend sitting on a phone booth when Yahtzee said he liked the new Doctor Who? I think I've seen that before in previous videos but I don't get the reference.

What's wrong with new Dr. Who?

Hahaha, thanks Yahtz for the laugh :D

fare777:
I didn't like this one. Not that I take your reviews seriously but you might be dragging people down.

His reviews are meant to be taken seriously. There are a lot of jokes, and he doesn't typically hit the high points of a game except in passing, but he levels only serious criticisms at a game. I think that is a big part of the reason for his popularity as the mainstream gaming "press", so to speak, basically print reviews that the publisher's PR department gives them, or else they'll stop getting review copies, they won't be able to have launch day reviews, then their readership will suffer, which means ad dollars suffer, which means they go out of business.

Sounds like he should just play M.U.G.E.N.

Maybe it's just me, but the improvements they've made to the combat engine for this release tell me they're actually taking it seriously over and above just "peddling gore" (well, relatively seriously).

I'm well aware that the fatalities and blood are selling points for the niche the series has carved out for itself, the fact that they're still trying to improve and update the combat and add new features (however successful) means they're not just slapping violence into it to sell a slapdash product.

And who knows, if MK does well enough maybe we'll see reboot of Eternal Champions.

... or Time Killers.

This is review is stupid and ludicrous...the new Doctor Who is AWESOME!!!!

Doctor Who is cool...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or