Zero Punctuation: Mortal Kombat

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Best fighting game of this generation, by far.

Whether a person likes it or not is their opinion, but to say it's irrelevant is a bit of an ignorant statement, considering that less than a month after its release, it sold 1 million units in the US alone.

I thought the story mode was refreshing from not having one at all, and the mass retcon actually fixed up a lot of crap with the storyline up to the Armagedon game.

thebreadbinman:
Mortal Kombat isn't trying to be 'relevant'
You literally spent one line review the game and the rest complaining about how it doesn't conform to your ideas of what a game should be.
At the end of the day, if it works and you enjoyed playing it then give it a good review, and if it didn't, then don't. I couldn't tell because you spent the entire time bitching about fighting games in general and how this game is too 'gory'.

Yahtzee, too bitchy? That surprises you? Ha! What other Yahtzee have you been watching until now?
Also his comments about the gore wasn't that there was too much, but that it wasn't that good.
Example: You do an x-ray move and break the enemies legs, he gets up, and then kicks
your face. The gore has no weight to it, and becomes boring after long exposure.
Also Yahtzee never settles for anything. Especially Fun! I have always thought
Yahtzee was hard on games, but he is right a lot too.
Besides, why should we settle?

I know that you're a paid video game critic but I'm still a little surprised you so much as bothered with this game. It's hardly news that Mortal Kombat is trying to sell gratuity to a puerile audience (only further proven by the fact that they still use a 'K'). Either way it's kind of nice to know it is pretty much exactly what I expected from the game.

ScarBrow07:
Marty Mcfly would win. Just sayin

Hell no!!

Sam Beckett (that's the guys name from Quantum Leap)was at least trained in a form of martial arts. Nothing against Marty personally, but he would just get stupid whenever someone would call him chicken. Then end up being chased all over Hill Valley when he realized how out matched he was...lol

As someone whose pretty much never been into MK before this, I have to say like this one. I do find the gameplay tighter than the previous iterations. As for the blood and gore, while it does get boring after a bit, I will say it does feel like the dev team worked to get back to what they felt was their old school vibe.

Whether or not that helps the case of the games are art debate or helps move the medium forward, I believe that is subjective, though my opinion is that while we don't go back, we don't really go forward.

The costumes of the females...I don't care too much either way, though I'll admit when the cop chick is not properly dressed for work and is showing cleavage like a canyon, it's a bit much. I'm still feel like we are waiting for a female character design that looks sexy without being hookerish....

I've always been more a tekken and street fighter guy so that probably should be taken into consideration.

But yahtzee hit it on the head with the story, the one character just coming and killing half the cast was just stupid.

But as alway another good episode of ZP. Keep up the fine work, Sir Croshaw

hmm, depends is Quantam Leap guy allowed to... uh... quantum leap, into someone like say bruce lee? If not, then i'm gonna go with Marty Mcfly, just because.

Yahtzee......dont care who you slept with to get it but ill offer you 500$ for your copy :PPP

p.p: Now seriously how come HE gets the game while 21,999,999 others are being denied that privvilage :(
He MUST be tight with the PM X_X

I always found Mortal Kombats story intresting. And I thought how they decided to re-boot it was pretty cool. I mean, they did something like that in Star Trek (The new one.), and everyone praised it, and it works here too.

I don't agree either with the X-rays. I still get that same, Oooo.. feeling whenever I watch, say like Sindel's X-ray, or Johnny Cages. Painful, and I still grimance at them.

Gekidami:
Jax's fatality is also a rehash from DC Vs. MK; Its Supermans, only with a kick added at the end.

Which Superman took from Sheeva in Mortal Kombat 3.

Anyway, I get that he doesn't like the game, fine. He has fun reviews of games I liked that he didn't (I liked Super Smash Bros. Brawl, for example).

He's entitled to his opinion...and I'm entitled to have fun with the game.

...though I do agree with him that the simplistic titling of the game could get kinda confusing.

That thing which Yahtzee referred to in the end already exists. It's called MUGEN.

Yup. Never cared for this series, nor did I understand why everyone was so keen on it. Now I know, it's a REBOOT! HOORAY.

I never even knew that the first mortal kombat had a story... Weren't stories illegal to have in video games pre-N64/PS1/Sega Saturn era?

This made me laugh out loud more than the last few reviews.

The Rotherham gag was a nice touch.

It's a shame that he spent the entire time complaining about arguably the best fighting game to be released in the last year :/.

It wasn't perfect by any means but he rarely shits this hard on worse games.

144:
It's nice to see I'm not the only one who thinks the MK universe is a bit bland.

You honestly need reaffirmation that in a world of 6 billion people you aren't unique?

Dragonblade146:
I always found Mortal Kombats story intresting. And I thought how they decided to re-boot it was pretty cool. I mean, they did something like that in Star Trek (The new one.), and everyone praised it, and it works here too.

I don't agree either with the X-rays. I still get that same, Oooo.. feeling whenever I watch, say like Sindel's X-ray, or Johnny Cages. Painful, and I still grimance at them.

I like to time them at the point where they'll kill the person and top that off with a fatality.

Or as my key dyslexia would have it a "light punch to the neck." Happening less and less these days but still :P.

Marty mcfly, no contest

I enjoyed this review as usual, but the jab at new Doctor Who was just uncalled for.

Random berk:
Meh. Never was a major fan of these fighting games anyway. I liked Deadliest Warrior the game though.

Tell Spoony that if you want to send him into a rage fit.
http://spoonyexperiment.com/2010/08/04/deadliest-warrior-game-review/

Petromir:
Fairly sure the answer to the who woul;d win a massive fight between efeveryone was;

Mr Rogers in a bloodstained sweater!

C'mon, we all know Mr. Rogers is Old Testament. I think he was Esther's pimp.

Why is this happening? Who has been buying Mortal Kombat games for the past 15 years? Is Primal Rage next?

Street Fighter came back after a long absence (and waaaaay too many faux-sequels) because people wanted it. SF2 and all its various permutations aged pretty well overall, as they laid the groundwork for the entire genre. Mortal Kombat was just a bunch of pallet-swaps with all of the exact same moves except for a couple of unspectacular specials and the ability to rip someone's spine out (yeah, that sure isn't pandering to adolescents...). Seriously, what's next, Duke Nukem? Wait, what? You're kidding, right?

*narrows eyes* And what is WRONG with the new Doctor Who? Eh?

Anyway, Doctor Samuel Beckett vs. Marty Mcfly depends on which body Sam has jumped into. And if Ziggy says it's 98.7% important.

Won't be playing, not a fan of fighting games. However my money's on McFly.

K84:
I like the new/old MK, reminds me of times when gaming was fun.
And when arcades still.....*emotion*
Of times when Doctor Who was still worth watching.

I do not like the new one, no sir, i do not.
Torchwood, on the other hand, tres bien.
And that show about the smeghead.

Sir, I challenge you to Mortal Kombat for even mentioning Toshwood.

fare777:
I didn't like this one. Not that I take your reviews seriously but you might be dragging people down.

Same. This is a great game to play with your friends and get drunk over for some cheap LOLs.

I love the Mortal Kombat Franchise and I found this new one to be quite invigorating to say the least....mostly because the Last Mortal Kombat I played was on the Nintendo 64.

Either way I'm going to disagree with Yahtzee on this one. While the story line is a bit haphazard the 2 player mode is grand as all hell. Don't play online though. Always good to play with a friend within slapping distance XD

Y'know, I really wish Yahtzee had reviewed the first BlazBlue, because that was a fighter with a great storyline with multiple paths that all actually happened. The second BlazBlue's story was less amazing although no different mechanics-wise and really requires the first game to make any sense out of it....
In other news: Mortal Kombat is still a casual fighter. Suck it.

marty would totally win. i assume he has a gun for some reason...

Sam Beckett (the Quantum leap guy) would totally win! He's had much more like experience than Marty (multiple life experiences in fact) and would therefore have much more experience in things like combat and the like.

boag:
I thought the story mode was refreshing from not having one at all, and the mass retcon actually fixed up a lot of crap with the storyline up to the Armagedon game.

Indeed. It was a MK game that had some sense and reason to it. I mean I finally discovered who Noob Saibot was.

N00B Saibot is BEASTLY!!! Him and Smoke

Was anyone else honestly expecting the review to end with sound effects of police sirens and barking attack dogs, or was that just me?

I agree with Yahtzee's stance on the gore in Mortal Kombat.

I don't have a problem with gore, but this x-ray thing is really not impressing me...

Funny how awesome our generation has become, since we do no longer get offended or grossed out by people ripping out spines with their teeth, then decapitated the person with their spine while afterwards sticking it up their bumhole.

Sure, the first 2 times it's fun and stuff. But then we yearn for something else.
I love our generation! :D

Ps3 has no region-lock.So he ordered it from amazon I guess =P
(Did I mention that he wrote a novel and you can pre-order it on amazon.co.uk? Well he wrote a novel and you can pre-order it from amazon.co.uk!)

An anti-Matt Smith comment plus Back to the Future and Quantum Leap! Just throw out enough references and I'm happy.
And for the record Dr. Sam Beckett would kick Marty McFly's ass

Funny review, but Yahtzee's hatred of fighting games really shines through too much on this one. He makes good points about the mindless violence and the gore, but I thought that's what it was all about. It's not selling itself as anything else.

Thalios:

Henkie36:
Another great review.

How can you possible know if it's a great review, 1 minute after it's been posted...?

because yahtzees reviews are always great?

totally agree with Yahtzee.

never been a big fan of blood guts and gore in video games, it all seems rather pointless when the person you're attacking just gets back up again.
as if the TV advert for Mortal Kombat was incentive enough not to play it, perfect reinforcement from Yahtzee imo.

Another vote for McFly.

Backula would pull some very excellent, text book fighting moves, and marty would do something nutty and unexpected and put Bakula down with a skateboard across the mouth.

I hope this game causes Mortal Kombat vs. DC to drop in price. Then I'll pick that up instead.

Didn't the Xray breaking bones thing ruin Fight Club the game?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here