Zero Punctuation: Mortal Kombat

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Akalabeth:

Thomas Ella:
What's the difference between the X-Ray moves that you have to watch over and over and Supers and Ultras in Street Fighter that you have to watch over and over? Normally, Yahtzee makes really smart criticisms, but here, he was clearly out of his element and made lots of really dumb points.

You're assuming that he likes supers and ultras too. Maybe if he were reviewing that game as well he'd make those same points instead.

Sure, but then how is Mortal Kombat irrelevant? He's saying it's all about the violence and shock value, as though that's all the game has to offer, and never once talks about what it's like to actually play it. Yeah, you get desensitized to the violence, but... so what? We've all gotten pretty desensitized to people getting shot in the face, yet nobody complains about that for FPS games. Fatalities aren't just about the shock value of the first time you see it. It's a show of skill. It's bragging rights. It's like teabagging an opponent after they're down. It carries a message. It's not just about the gore.

And who really cares if the X-Ray attacks would be impossible to live through? You can get shot infinitely in all modern FPS games as long as it wasn't in quick succession and nobody gives a sh-t.

Plain and simple, Yahtzee's arguments hold no water. This is the most uncharacteristically biased review I've ever watched from him. Mortal Kombat never stood a chance; he was already determined to hate it. I usually agree with most of the complaints he brings up, but here, his arguments make no sense.

2D fighters aren't at a glass ceiling at all. They're not designed to appease the mainstream audiences who want more and more and MORE, like with every new CoD. 2D fighters (and some 3Ds) are about coveting competitive scene. This has sorta been the point since, oh I dunno, 1991.

Trying to 'evolve' or whatever just to appease the masses nearly killed the genre off once already.

thebreadbinman:
Mortal Kombat isn't trying to be 'relevant' in the same way Die Hard isn't a deep meaningful film about relationships within a modern day society.
They're both awesome because they're fun, not because they have something to say.
You literally spent one line review the game and the rest complaining about how it doesn't conform to your ideas of what a game should be.
At the end of the day, if it works and you enjoyed playing it then give it a good review, and if it didn't, then don't. I couldn't tell because you spent the entire time bitching about fighting games in general and how this game is too 'gory'. It's got an 18 rating for a reason.

Agreed! Yahtzee is awesome and all but he's also kind of pretentious. I knew he wasn't going to say anything good or constructive because he dislikes the fighting genre, which is fine but like you said all he did was bitch instead of review.

OT: This is one of the few ZP reviews that I didn't enjoy. Yes you see the same X-ray move over and over but it's like the super moves from other fighters like street fighter (it's the same every time you see it) so how is this any different? I am not much into fighting games either (this game is the only fighter out of my 21 PS3 games) because they are so hard to get in to and I always get beaten easily. I have never been good at fighting games but Mortal Kombat is the only fighter that appeals to me because it's easier to get in to than street fighter, soul calibur, and Tekken; and the the characters and story are at least somewhat interesting. Now excuse me while I go have mindless fun playing Mortal Kombat :D

Meh. I'm a big fan of mk9 and have a masochistic love of games I like being torn to pieces in reviews, followed by people jumping on the reviewers argument(or lack thereof) and using the review as evidence for their own misconception on a game they wanted to hate, tis all quite cathartic really.

But alas found this week a bit bland >< Mk9 wasn't that ripped upon (and there are things to rip into if you look hard enough, other reviewers such as spooneyone have done a few angry rants on it) and when it was, it was just kinda "meh", if I was a die hard mk9 fanboi what is there for me to rage about? Oh you found the gore and violence disturbing, like we mk fans never heard that one before. Guess mk9 didn't leave much of an impression on yahtzee overall :|

Yahtzee: 80% comedic writer 20% video game analyst (generously)

How much depth did he wanted inserted into a fighting game besides fun mechanics, repetitive value and a stable online mode.
It's true what someone said before about how yahtzee's reviews shouldn't be taken in all seriousness but come on mate, he's just embarrassing himself trying to keep up with all the implemented deadlines concerning his written articles and also videos with written scripts.
Take some time off to clear your head, reread the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and get a bit more inspired.

Mortal Kombat to me is like the Saw of the video game world. Violence and gore strike me as the main seling points, which alone I can't get into.

While agree with this whole review and what you said about Mortal Kombat, I think you're way off with Saw.

I'm pretty sure most Saw fans are into it because there is actually an interesting, over-arching storyline, not because of gore and death traps.

I didn't actually think I would get to here someone else say the fatalities and x-rays are boring. the first time I saw any of them I thought "huh, That's it? there doesn't seem to be any substance in there".

Apparently my captcha wants me to go roll over a car.

On the subject of every character ever having a fight, ever heard of Mugen?

SageRuffin:

I think that's a little harsh, but goddamn were those matches awesome.

Hmm... both of those guys are pro Dead or Alive players. Interesting how they've picked this game up. :P

Not saying yahtzee is a bad person because he isn't competitive, it's just the way he is. I'm just saying that as a fighting game, MK9 is one of the better ones out there.

I really like the new Doctor Who...

Kurt Horsting:

SageRuffin:

I think that's a little harsh, but goddamn were those matches awesome.

Hmm... both of those guys are pro Dead or Alive players. Interesting how they've picked this game up. :P

Not saying yahtzee is a bad person because he isn't competitive, it's just the way he is. I'm just saying that as a fighting game, MK9 is one of the better ones out there.

Trust me, I'm agreeing. I'm just worried about you getting crucified by some of the more Crusader-like Yahtzee fanboys/fangirls. :P

And I'm having a lot more fun with MK 2011 than with SSF4, BBCS (I still say CT is the better game, especially after the v1.03 patch), and MvC3. Netherrealm Studios put a lot of care into this game, and I definitely commend them for it.

Personally, I've always been more of a Soul Caibur/Tekken guy. But on the other hand, MK does have a special place in my heart. I clearly remember watching my brother and my cousin play it on our old Amiga. Good, and bloody, times =).

I agree with this one. I always felt like people only like MK for the violence, than the skill. Even though it looks good, I still get put off by that.

edudewired:
GAMETRADERS ROBINA!!!

Went out of business!! :3

I actually speak Portuguese.

Oi, Doctor Who is awesome. Also, Finnish Hymn made me smile. Thanks for that. :)

Oh, I forgot to mention this. There's an old school Mortal Kombat arcade machine in one of the bars I go to and it's fun for a couple of fights at a time, when you're not too drunk to play of course. It works there, but I wouldn't buy another fighting game for myself since I've already got Tekken 6 and at least there's a freaking Panda in that game.

So yeah, Mortal Kombat, I'll pass. At least the cinematic trailer was pretty cool.

I enjoyed this review!

Also, not that the intro music is bad or anything but I always liked it better when you had an intro and outro song that was related to the game or how you would be criticizing it.

TestType:
I really like the new Doctor Who...

As do I. It's not perfect, and a couple of the writers over the past few years need to be reminded that Deus Ex Machinae should be kept to an absolute minimum. Luck as a superpower is for forgettable Marvel characters.

As for fighting games, I've had some good fun with a few friends and Soul Cabbager 4 set to Random Everything. Astonishing numbers of the characters that process produces look like librarians. Generally flamboyantly gay ones.

SageRuffin:

And I'm having a lot more fun with MK 2011 than with SSF4, BBCS (I still say CT is the better game, especially after the v1.03 patch), and MvC3. Netherrealm Studios put a lot of care into this game, and I definitely commend them for it.

Waiting till BBCS2 gets fixed (no wallbounce? wtf?!), but its looking like that series is dieing horribly. Mahvel 3 is the craziest game I have ever played, still love it. In SSF4 ae hit Abel hard with the nerf bad, but yun looks fun.

Mk9 has a lot of polish compared to what they where doing before, too bad the online is fucking trash (same for every fighting game out right now).

I enjoyed MK in the early 1990s when it came out, but I don't really see the potential for it to expand beyond a 2-D, 1v1 combat environment, and as such it gets boring pretty quickly.

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:

Henkie36:
Another great review.

Huh, I see you've perfected the time machine. I mean, that's the only way you could possibly watch a roughly 5-minute video in time to comment on it only one minute after it was posted...right?

OT:...What's wrong with the new Dr. Who?

Don't ask, we'll take care of it, we are Doctor Who fans, we are armed with crowbars and nachos, and we will run the rivers red with Yahtzee's blood.

Wakikifudge:
Also, not that the intro music is bad or anything but I always liked it better when you had an intro and outro song that was related to the game or how you would be criticizing it.

I thought he stopped doing that for copyright reasons?

lollerskating:

Wakikifudge:

I thought he stopped doing that for copyright reasons?

Oh. I did not know that. Never mind then lol.

Quite the funny review, but it won't keep me from loving this game, I think it is pure fun and will never take this series seriously whether it's story, or content-wise but I will love the brutality and the kombat.

EDIT: Oh and that Doctor Who thing, why don't you like the new one? Okay he's not the best, but I like him anyway

This one was OK, it's not his best or his worst. But I liked the review

Thomas Ella:
Sure, but then how is Mortal Kombat irrelevant? He's saying it's all about the violence and shock value, as though that's all the game has to offer, and never once talks about what it's like to actually play it. Yeah, you get desensitized to the violence, but... so what? We've all gotten pretty desensitized to people getting shot in the face, yet nobody complains about that for FPS games. Fatalities aren't just about the shock value of the first time you see it. It's a show of skill. It's bragging rights. It's like teabagging an opponent after they're down. It carries a message. It's not just about the gore.

Tea-bagging's pretty irrelevant too. It's only as relevant as the guy on the other end cares about it. Maybe what he's saying is that violence for the sake of violence is no longer relevant because there have been many games which are equally violent but with a greater amount of meat behind that. Gears of War is over the top violence but there's a whole story behind it, there's more to it than just two guys fighting.

I think his main point is that, MK was relevant back in the day because it was so violent. But since that's no longer unique, having the same game today is kinda weak.

Plain and simple, Yahtzee's arguments hold no water. This is the most uncharacteristically biased review I've ever watched from him. Mortal Kombat never stood a chance; he was already determined to hate it. I usually agree with most of the complaints he brings up, but here, his arguments make no sense.

He's said in the past that he doesn't like fighting games. Neither do I for that matter. I don't know why they're still making Mortal Kombat anyway, they said Mortal Kombat Armageddon or whatever was going to be the last game. Now since then there have been two more! What a joke. They tried a cross-over with DC to revitalize it, and they tried to reboot the original to revitalize it, they're obviously trying to breath new life into a dying series and everything they're doing is copying Capcom's foot steps.

So yes, saying they're struggling to be relevant in today's market is very much an accurate statement.

Curiously, the last time I played a Mortal Kombat game it was also just called Mortal Kombat. Noticeably less controversy this time around. It's like the circle of life, or something.

Kurt Horsting:

SageRuffin:

Waiting till BBCS2 gets fixed (no wallbounce? wtf?!), but its looking like that series is dieing horribly. Mahvel 3 is the craziest game I have ever played, still love it. In SSF4 ae hit Abel hard with the nerf bad, but yun looks fun.

Some of the changes in CS are stupid (sweeps have damn near no hitstun), my man Ragna is almost useless while Jin is borderline broken since he plays closer to his CT incarnation, and I never understood how making a bad character worse (Haku-men) was good balance. But now it sounds like I'm complaining that my best character has been toned down tremendously, but whatever. I'm considering going back to CT, when the game was still fun. :/

I want to like "Mahvel" 3 (baby!), but there are more than a few things about the fighting engine that bother me: the way OTGs work, the combo mechanics at large, Wesker, how scrubby some of the characters are... the list goes on.

Same with the SF4 games: 1-frame link combos, projectile users having an definite advantage over most other characters, the fact that the game favors overwhelming offense, cross-ups being ridiculously easy to pull off, the soundtrack, the character models...

But I'll stop here since I'm starting to get on a soapbox.

Mk9 has a lot of polish compared to what they where doing before, too bad the online is fucking trash (same for every fighting game out right now).

I wouldn't quite say all that, but MK 2011 is definitely one of the "more complete" fighters out there right now. I hear a costume pack is supposed to drop soon, so long as they don't follow the Capcom route (only select outfits at a time, then releasing them all later at significantly cheaper) I'll be snatching that up with relish. I love the new character designs (though Kitana has a rather... "manly" face), coupled with the fact that Cyrax and Sektor have human forms with alternate character animations to accommodate, but I'll greatly welcome the klassic looks with open arms.

Photocopier:
On the subject of every character ever having a fight, ever heard of Mugen?

-_- Really?

Read the end of the video, like during the comments section.

And no one ask if he's heard of MUGEN before.

I better not find the word MUGEN in this thread anymore. Unless you read the end.

I'm going to quote one of my friends from another nerd forum: "If you're more interested in what happens after the fight instead of the fight itself, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!" And that is exactly what my main gripe about the entirety of the Mortal Kombat series (and its clones; good LORD, the clones!!). It thrive on nothing but the gory fatality that, while might seem fitting in the 90's ultra-violent counter culture scene, just seems like a fish out of water this day and age when we can get all our violence and raeg in more varieties elsewhere.

To copy-paste Yahtzee's words on the Sonic review: Mortal Kombat is DONE! It's past it! It doesn't need more games, it needs help. Specifically the kind of help that involves taking it behind the shed and tearfully putting both barrel through its confused, oblivious little face. Stuff it, mount it, repurpose it as a litter picking device.

Wow Yahtzee hates a new game, big surprize there. Even better that he hates it based on nostalia.

Funniest review for a while.

Marty, odviously.

farq1414:
how did he get it?

good review none the less

most likly he imported

SageRuffin:
*snip*

I don't know what version of BBCS you where playing but Hakumen was a beast in that game. Bigger combos, tk tsubaki off a dash, 4c, j. 5c, j. 5d, stabbing projectiles = void of doom, etc. And Ragna is fucking stupid broken in that game. 40% Berial edge combos that end in oki while building 50 heat, fatal counter on 2c which is +6 on block, 80% blood kain combos and etc. It was Rachel that got hit so hard wit the nerf bat it was renamed the "Rachel stick".

With marvels otgs, you need specific moves that can hit otg to work. Some characters do not have otgs. And if you have bounce moves, they can be used only once in a combo for either ground or wall bounce. There are really dumb mechanics (dhc glitch, xfactor, air throw hitboxes, etc)
but its still fun.

And last, SSF4 is defiantly a defensive game. The laxed reversal windows, low damage combos, emphasis on option selects make it hard to get in and stay in. SSF4 becomes more about footies and baiting reversals and jumps then smothering someone in attacks. And just a bit of advice, crossups where even easier back in the day and there was no auto correct. Learn to block.

I completely agree that the fighters should be limping or at least act staggered if their skull has been crushed into a thousand pieces. I actually prefer the 2D fighting compared to annoying strafing and the gore is a great stress reliever.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here