Lego: Pirates of the Caribbean Review

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I was hoping this game would be good :). Do you know anything about the different versions? Not sure whether to get this on DS or a console.

And reviewing another Lego game Susan? Shame on you for hogging them so :p.

Looks awesome, I will give it a try.

My brothers really enjoying this, im going to be helping him for the two player bits. You didnt mention the special musical Jack you can unlock! Original PotC song, YOOHOO indeed.

Watched On Stranger Tides last night. It's amazing!

And I will definitely be picking this up once exams finish. Haven't played a lego game in a while, and I'll need something fun at that point.

I can't wait to play this game!

Lego makes EVERYTHING better!

Vault Citizen:
I was hoping this game would be good :). Do you know anything about the different versions? Not sure whether to get this on DS or a console.

And reviewing another Lego game Susan? Shame on you for hogging them so :p.

Nobody else actually ever wants to do them, believe it or not. So I luck out. :)

Ah Susan, you Child-at-Heart, you.

But really? Pirates is good? After the atrocity that was Lego Star Wars III, I am surprised that the bar has been raised so significantly.

Although I guess it's because Lucasarts didn't touch it with their arm of eternal stagnation (Their last good game was Grim Fandango).

I loved the movies (I'm going to go see On Stranger Tides) so it will be good to see if it lives up to the humour in full.

Boyninja616:

But really? Pirates is good? After the atrocity that was Lego Star Wars III, I am surprised that the bar has been raised so significantly.

Although I guess it's because Lucasarts didn't touch it with their arm of eternal stagnation (Their last good game was Grim Fandango).

I loved the movies (I'm going to go see On Stranger Tides) so it will be good to see if it lives up to the humour in full.

No-one was more surprised than me, man. You couldn't force me to play more Lego Clone Wars - you can't stop me from playing more Lego Pirates.

I love lego pirates but I'm curious which lego Indy you didn't like

direw0lf:

The first one. It was a broken, unfun mess. Didn't play the second one, though.

Yes, finally, the game based on the toy that's based on the movie that's based on the Disney ride that's now based on the movie that has a brand of toys that now has a game based on them.

Susan Arendt:

Boyninja616:

No-one was more surprised than me, man. You couldn't force me to play more Lego Clone Wars - you can't stop me from playing more Lego Pirates.

The great thing about Pirates is it's a bit of a throw-back game for the series. Boss battles are back to the usual fare, instead of the overly complicated things in Indy 2 and Clone Wars. Vehicle bits are few and far between (don't know why the series has this obsession with making you run a timed race where half of it is toward the camera... where you can't see the checkpoint until you've missed it). And it looks like they assembled a greatest hits collection of character types. Diggers, jumpers, strong guys, even Dark Jedis (in a slightly different way) are here for mini-kit collecting fun. And the movies have lots of diverse locations, great action sequences, and funny moments to make the Lego treatment shine... although the middle two movies are on the incomprehensible side in Lego mime, but still fun to watch.

Although I do find it odd that the original Lego Indiana Jones gets tossed in with the bad ones. I seem to recall Susan saying it was a buggy mess, but I played it on the PC and PS3 and can't remember anything but the mildest of glitches that all the games seem to share. Worst problem I had was a non-functioning co-op AI for a Red Mail Drop... always seems to be one place where I have to co-op with myself to get a collectible (happened in Harry Potter and Pirates as well). Mostly I found Lego Indy to be lots of fun, right up there with the original Star Wars games.

Played the demo yesterday and I had to pause the game because I couldn't stop laughing at how LEGO jack walks and runs. The developers did a great job bringing him to LEGO from.

I'll definitely try this game out if I ever get the chance. Might even get a Pirates LEGO set as well.

direw0lf:

So am I. I played it on two different platforms and it performed up to standard.

Susan Arendt:

direw0lf:

Second one has the most amazing hub system. A bit of a pain to find the characters and power-ups you unlocked, but the four different hubs (one for each movie) was the best part of the game.

The levels, on the other hand. They had moved all the collectibles to the hub, so levels had zero replay value. Story mode was extremely straight-forward, often only with about two screens worth of map (criminally short levels) and Free Play was some sort of challenge mode that required you go in the right character types... oh, and you had to find said character types in the huge hub. No handy menus to switch characters.

Worth checking out for the hub (seriously, best hub system in any Lego game) and I enjoyed seeing a different take on the story... but the levels and their Clone War style boss fights were just not up to standard.

Star Wars was pretty damn cool, and this looks good. Might have to pick it up, although most likely not until the price drops (poor student).

I do love the way they adapt the cutscenes.

Netrigan:

Second one has the most amazing hub system. A bit of a pain to find the characters and power-ups you unlocked, but the four different hubs (one for each movie) was the best part of the game.

The levels, on the other hand. They had moved all the collectibles to the hub, so levels had zero replay value. Story mode was extremely straight-forward, often only with about two screens worth of map (criminally short levels) and Free Play was some sort of challenge mode that required you go in the right character types... oh, and you had to find said character types in the huge hub. No handy menus to switch characters.

Worth checking out for the hub (seriously, best hub system in any Lego game) and I enjoyed seeing a different take on the story... but the levels and their Clone War style boss fights were just not up to standard.

I loved the Hub system. while I agree the levels were too short and the boss fights kinda lame it is the only lego game I got 100% all because I enjoyed finding everything in the hubs.

Oh, good, might get that one.

Also am I the only one in the world to like Lego Indy? Lego Batman sucks on toast.

I'd been thinking about this game alot (Mostly because Pirates of the Caribbean is my favorite movie series), but this review cinched it. THE GAME WILL BE MINE!

That looked really fun, some of the parts of the video even made me laugh.
I'm not a real fan of the Lego games, but I do want to play this one. Looked hilarious.

Susan Arendt:

direw0lf:

Definitely! I got stuck in an infinite loop of death at one point. Had to complete re-start to get out of the stupid thing.

Going to get onto the Pirates though. ARRR!!

Definitely going to order this. The video of Jack walking is what sealed the deal for me. How can I resist a little drunken Lego pirate?

On Lego Indiana Jones (first one) I don't remember it being buggy just very very twitchy. It's partly why I didn't finish the game. If I have to fight the controls it just sucks the fun out of it. I felt like I was controlling jello instead of Lego. Even having Doctor Jones in it couldn't get me to finish it.

Great review, thank you, I look forward to playing it. My wife and I love working through the Lego games.

Cheers

Colin

I KNEW you were a Dog person!

Hey Susan, did you play co-op or singleplayer? Is it still fun without co-op, which I understand is the emphasis of the whole "Lego what's-it" franchise?

Apart from a comment about how the original Lego Indy wasn't good, good review. Glad to know the new game keeps up the fun and amazingness of the other titles. I'll have to pick this one up, hoping that it's better than the Batman one was.

As a serious, hardcore gamer, I find myself surprised that I really want to play this game.

Is it just me, or is Susan's voice an odd mix of soothing, calming and sexy?

*cough*

OT: it surprises me that I love creation and Lego type play, but find these games amazingly boring.

Oh so its actually good? Yay! My girlfriend and I love the Lego games ever since I conned her into playin the original Lego Star Wars. After that we tried out Lego Harry Potter...yayness followed. Unfortunately then we decided to try out the other...less than fun ones. Lego Indy was...frustratin and Lego Batman was a good distraction, but mostly meh worthy. When we picked up Lego Star Wars III she actually swore off Lego games because of how absolutely awful that game was.

Maybe I can convince her to give them one last try now with your recommendation Susan. Cheers ^-^

Susan Arendt:

direw0lf:

I'm curious now, what did you think of LEGO Star Wars II, and LEGO Batman? In my eyes, Batman was the best so far, although I've only played Star Wars I and II and Batman...
Anyway, I had no idea this was coming out, but I am now overjoyed that it is, and that it's so great. Now if only I could afford it...

to bad i don't like the lego games, since this game seams good and the review was awesome.

brunothepig:

Susan Arendt:

direw0lf:

I'm curious now, what did you think of LEGO Star Wars II, and LEGO Batman? In my eyes, Batman was the best so far, although I've only played Star Wars I and II and Batman...
Anyway, I had no idea this was coming out, but I am now overjoyed that it is, and that it's so great. Now if only I could afford it...

Finally, someone else who enjoyed Lego Batman. The original story might be a bit of a disconnect for some players, but I thought it did a wonderful job. It and Arkham Asylum are the two best Batman games.

Funny how I loved the Lego Indiana Jones games, but not the Lego Star Wars games.

KushinLos:
Funny how I loved the Lego Indiana Jones games, but not the Lego Star Wars games.

Me too, at least i love the first Lego Indy (the second was meh IMO), love it enough to have 2 versions of it, PSP and PS3, never really got into the Lego star wars games though, no idea why...

GrizzlerBorno:
I KNEW you were a Dog person!

Hey Susan, did you play co-op or singleplayer? Is it still fun without co-op, which I understand is the emphasis of the whole "Lego what's-it" franchise?

I have both a dog and a cat and dote on them excessively. It's really quite embarrassing.

I played single player and it's still loads of fun. Better with a friend, of course, but still absolutely fantastic all by yourself. It can be a bit awkward, of course, having to switch between characters, and sometimes the AI is a bit on the stupid side, but the annoyances are brief and minor.

Ive had friends say how much they loved the lego games (Harry potter mostly). This game actually looks preety good and i love lego.. i think i may actually go and buy it =]

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here