Trailers: Guild Wars 2: Engineer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Guild Wars 2: Engineer

Lay traps, slow your enemies, and control the battlefield as an engineer in Guild Wars 2.

Watch Video

Not sure which should be my main now... Charr Warrior, or Charr Engineer...

inb4 TF2 Engineer references.

Nope.avi

dragongit:

inb4 TF2 Engineer references.

Nope.avi

B-but the TF2 engineers solve problems!..Practical Problems! D:

If thief can disarm the turrets, I will be very pleased.

It's interesting, but I'm still hesitant on the whole F2P with an item shop thing.

Oh well, got another year of Rift unit it releases anyways

I wonder if I make a Asuran engineer would it get any benefit toward the Golem (the big mech thing that Asuran can use)?

dragongit:

I suppose that would fall under the perview of your conundrums of philosophy

Huh, that last human engineer coincidentally looked almost EXACTLY like my warrior main from GW1 (except for the lack of heavy plate armour of course).

Interesting to look at I guess; the Engineer is the first class with absolutely NOTHING in common with any class from the original. Not sure if it would really be all that fun to play though, have to admit that none of those combat scenarios really looked that enjoyable, especially the charr one where the engineer just kited backwards throwing different kinds of bombs.

Every time I see it, it's bloody awesome... but where's the Jump Shot (rocket jump!) video? It was on the home page...

I like it when stuff blows up. heh.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's in there... I should probably pay more attention, huh?

dammit, they are making it really hard to decide what class to play first

See this? This is my "Oh, HELL YES!" face.

Looks rather nice. Haven't played the first game, but this looks tempting.

At first I was really looking forward to the "gunner" class, but this left me a bit disappointed. Somehow it doesn't feel fantasy enough. As if it had nothing in common with the other classes.

I definitely understand that they made progress over those 250 years, and I will play this class eventually, but it kinda left me hanging a bit... Idk.

I don't know, I like the way the other professions are turning out, but this...something doesn't feel right.

To me, it feels like they took the April Fools joke and tried to make it believable...but for realz this time.

so... they're a ranged class... they rely on traps and slowing/conditioning the opponent... um... they don't really feel all that different to rangers of the original GWs. Clearly they have slower/more powerful weapons but any turrets or golems kinda seem like a ranger's pet...

or am i missing the point entirely for this class?

Arcane Azmadi:
Huh, that last human engineer coincidentally looked almost EXACTLY like my warrior main from GW1 (except for the lack of heavy plate armour of course).

Interesting to look at I guess; the Engineer is the first class with absolutely NOTHING in common with any class from the original. Not sure if it would really be all that fun to play though, have to admit that none of those combat scenarios really looked that enjoyable, especially the charr one where the engineer just kited backwards throwing different kinds of bombs.

Ranger's had traps in the original. The idea of turrets just seem like ranged pets. The green gas looked like one of the wilderness (clogging gas or something, its been a while since I played ranger) or the frozen trap.

So far... the only classes who are doing it for me are rangers and mages. I've seen the warrior vid and they're just the same hack and slash. Rangers are very similar but with the added speed and ranged abilities.

...Eh... not impressed. Looks like I'm still rolling Mesmer, if they're bringing them back.

Only 5 different abilities to kill mice? Talk about overpowered.

Uhm... is that a giant tank in the background at 1:40? Unless I get to drive that I don't think engineer is something for me.
Guess I'll still have to wait for a proper support class I'd like to try.

Rationalization:

Yeah, pretty weak for a race of warrior kitties!

Deathfish15:
It's interesting, but I'm still hesitant on the whole F2P with an item shop thing.

It isn't F2P, its Buy-To-Play, exactly the same as Guild Wars one. The "NCStore" for GW2 will most easily be the same thing as GW One's store. All it sells is item unlocks and skill unlocks for PvP characters, something you can get anyways through playing PvP or PvE.

There is no "I win" button, no overpowered thing of the month that lets you win. In fact, the biggest portion of what they have is cosmetic.
https://secure.ncsoft.com/cgi-bin/Store.pl

See for yourself.

Honestly nearly everywhere else I've looked I've seen people getting apprehensive because they're adding technological elements to the GW universe, but frankly I don't see why, I understand if the idea is a bit out there but you have to consider what this means for an aesthetics viewpoint, Steampunk elements, which I wholeheartedly support. Also it's not as if they just sprung the idea that there is a much heavier presence of technology in the GW universe now, if you saw the Charr trailer (which you will be able to find below) you would know that they have a very industrial society now, if you also look at the lore for the Asurans they rely heavily on technology to cover for their obvious physical limitations. This shift in overall tone has been apparent for a very long time, this trailer just makes it very obvious.

Here's the Charr trailer as promised:

Well, the items shop is just one feature that came up (and yes, in my book giving the player the ability to buy an entire PvP set instead of earning it in-game is a one stop "I win" button).

But, Guild Wars launched mid 2000's and yet it didn't have a "jump" feature. One feature that's key to any MMORPG since earlier years and practically any game (RPG's especially). Sure, Guild Wars 2 has this feature from what I understand it, but the same development guys behind 1 are behind 2, so that raises my doubts.

Oh, and instancing must be insane in this game. It was true for Guild Wars 1, and that's something bothersome to me. Age of Conan annoyed the crud out of me because there would be 4-6 different instances of the same zone, and going through zone portals at the very edge of a zone was quite obnoxious. Great world they're showing, but from what I understand it's not very connected.

SketchyFK:
so... they're a ranged class... they rely on traps and slowing/conditioning the opponent... um... they don't really feel all that different to rangers of the original GWs. Clearly they have slower/more powerful weapons but any turrets or golems kinda seem like a ranger's pet...

or am i missing the point entirely for this class?

I haven't really played the original but it seems that in Guild Wars 2 the Engineer will be more of the crowd controler whereas the Ranger will be more of the jack-of-all-trades. However, from what we know now, it does seems like the two classes will be similar almost to the point of redundancy. Which would be a shame because I absolutely love the concept of the Engineer.

Rationalization:

Either grenades are underpowered or Micemen are improbably badass.

Also, am I the only one who really wanted to hear the end of the Micemens' conversation? It sounded like the were just about to have a freaky mouse orgy.

Suddenly I have an interest in Guild Wars 2.

So question for those that may have played the first, does it fall into the standard tank/healer/dps roles like WoW, and if not what's the standard group makeup like?

I hope it works so everytime you click you you shoot. Auto-firing is so boring.

I can already see "LFG Turretway".

Well, it was beyond obvious. As soon as people knew GW2 had an industrial revolution everyone assumed this class will be added. Everyone just hoped for something more original than Engineer.

What I don't understand is in the design.
We saw his mines, which looked like today's mines and not early technology mines, yet the bombs are barrels with a fuse...

Stevepinto3:
Suddenly I have an interest in Guild Wars 2.

So question for those that may have played the first, does it fall into the standard tank/healer/dps roles like WoW, and if not what's the standard group makeup like?

Well, in GW2 the developers practically "showing off" that GW2 isn't a tank\healer\dps MMO.
Every class must equip at all times at least one healing skill which is very different from class to class. Necromancer, for example, got a minion that his attacks heal the necromancer and a followup skill that consumes the minion for a large portion of health.
So all classes got buffs, some sort of heal, burst and DoT damage, debuff and are capable of some tanking.

And if you meant to GW1 and made me write all of that for nothing then I'll add this:
In GW1 you can still be pretty much anything you want with all classes until later in the game. Since in the hard dungeons on Hard Mode people go with only one or maybe two types of builds which include very specific skills and very little place for customization.

Hm. MMO combat. Strictly meh.

THe environments look pretty awesome though.

do want. stop teasing me and frakking hurry up and release it.

If a rocket jumping cow isn't a dealbreaker, I don't know what is.

NathLines:
If a rocket jumping cow isn't a dealbreaker, I don't know what is.

I was just going to post that, I mean, talk about awesome.

The turret looks rather lame though, I still prefer myself a Warhammer Dwarf Engineer.

Deathfish15:

An MMO with 1million+sales can live on just the box sales, And to be fair you only use around $2 worth of bandwidth if you play 4 hours everyday for a month,(that is chatting with people non stop and other things that cause packets to be exchanged)

So in the end they are all just playing you guys for fools.

Im thinking about this one, it appears to be heading to the right area for MMOs but its still an MMO with an MMO style community e.g "apply for my guild" BS i keep trying to get away from.

Iron Lightning:

I haven't really played the original but it seems that in Guild Wars 2 the Engineer will be more of the crowd controler whereas the Ranger will be more of the jack-of-all-trades. However, from what we know now, it does seems like the two classes will be similar almost to the point of redundancy. Which would be a shame because I absolutely love the concept of the Engineer.

I believe that they made the engineer out to be the jack-of-all-trades, seeing how he has AOE skills, traps, turrets, healing skills for teammates etc.

The ranger class is similar to the engineer only because they both use ranged weapons (the ranger can also use swords), but as far as I know, the ranger doesn't have half as many explosives as the engineer.

freaper:

Iron Lightning:

I believe that they made the engineer out to be the jack-of-all-trades, seeing how he has AOE skills, traps, turrets, healing skills for teammates etc.

The ranger class is similar to the engineer only because they both use ranged weapons (the ranger can also use swords), but as far as I know, the ranger doesn't have half as many explosives as the engineer.

Well, everyone got aoe, traps of some sort and healing skills. The torrents are just his unique class mechanic and he can only use one at a time. Also, he's pretty limited by his weapons. Only pistols, rifle and shield.

Ranger is definitely the jack-of-all-trades though everyone can do everything to some degree.

jonyboy13:

freaper:

Iron Lightning:

Well, everyone got aoe, traps of some sort and healing skills. The torrents are just his unique class mechanic and he can only use one at a time. Also, he's pretty limited by his weapons. Only pistols, rifle and shield.

Ranger is definitely the jack-of-all-trades though everyone can do everything to some degree.

Yea, I realised my answer was pretty redundant just after posting, since pretty much every class has a variety of skills for different situations.

It's probably just my personal impression then when I say that.

The fact that they limited his "first hand" weapon arsenal is because they've given the engineer so many kits, packs, turrets,.. that giving him access to swords, maces or wands would probably be too much.

Look at the thief; in confront of other classes the number of weapons at his disposal is limited, but because of his "dual skill" and his "steal" ability he still gets access to other skills more easily than other classes would.

Deathfish15:
Well, the items shop is just one feature that came up (and yes, in my book giving the player the ability to buy an entire PvP set instead of earning it in-game is a one stop "I win" button).

But, Guild Wars launched mid 2000's and yet it didn't have a "jump" feature. One feature that's key to any MMORPG since earlier years and practically any game (RPG's especially). Sure, Guild Wars 2 has this feature from what I understand it, but the same development guys behind 1 are behind 2, so that raises my doubts.

Oh, and instancing must be insane in this game. It was true for Guild Wars 1, and that's something bothersome to me. Age of Conan annoyed the crud out of me because there would be 4-6 different instances of the same zone, and going through zone portals at the very edge of a zone was quite obnoxious. Great world they're showing, but from what I understand it's not very connected.

In guild wars 1 they used a lot of shortcuts when making the maps ... so only part of the terrain was actually rendered leaving big chunks un-rendered saving time and money but this would have been undone if players were able to maybe jump over an obstacle or something like that, so they decided to leave jumping alone (I don't get jumping as a necessity any way). In Guild Wars 2 they fully rendered the world and added that mechanic some people desperately need!!!! (/rolleyes)

While yes the first game was almost 100% instanced (except major hubs and what not) This game has almost no instances, even great epic boss battles take place in open world. From what I've seen PvP is 100% instanced and some parts of major cities are "your personal instance" containing your "home" aka a "home district".

Quick note about PvP ... there are no factions here, people do not compete against anyone on their own server (in large scale pvp) but against other servers ... there will be week long Server vs Server vs Server (3 at a time) That have ALL players (that want to participate) be there fighting over scarce resources. There however is also competitive PvP in Arena-style deathmatches. Also ... gear and lvl means nothing in PvP only skill; while they have not explained how this works they have hinted that ALL PvP-ers get the same armors (maybe just stats maybe they change your armor look) and get boosted to max level (aka you might be lvl 35 but you have the abilities, stats, tallents, weapons, armor of a 80)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here