Trailers: Terraria: Gameplay

Terraria: Gameplay

Explore, fight, and create in the sprawling worlds of Terraria.

Watch Video

Having bought this a couple days ago, I feel the need to recommend it massively. For the price, there's tonnnes of crap to do, and it's a laugh with friends, I've been LAN-ing it for hours.

Yeah this game is awesome! I've played a good 30 hours already. . . more gaming then I've done in the past month.

I haven't got far into it, so its more like "Minecraft" for me--but that isn't a bad thing! The trailer here definitely shows how this differs from "Minecraft" and I'm really eager to get down underground to find some of the good stuff. For $10 bucks, you really can't go wrong for this indie game. :)

So, a 2D Minecraft-ish RPG?

Not a bad idea. 2D is limiting, but limits can encourage creativity.

I might like to see some more documentation and/or gameplay vids before purchasing, but the $10 price tag makes me reasonably sure it's a safe bet.

Bought it on release. Lost tremendous amounts of sleep.

I approve.

Now, for the longer recommendation: The visuals are pleasant so you won't get annoyed with them while playing for extended periods of time. The extremely varied amounts of building options are available to you fairly early within the game. No need for upgraded equipment to get your gold, gems, obsidian or whatever. Building is fast and fun, upgrading your equipment sometimes takes time but is rewarding. Worlds are HUGE (like your ex's behind). Computers that are being thrown into the dump could play this. Playing and adventuring with friends is a riot.

I have clocked in over 25 hours and have barely scratched deeper than the surface of what this game has to offer. I took a quick peek at the wiki and there's a great number of environments I have yet to discover, a couple I have discovered but am getting my ass kicked in when I enter them, a great deal of items I have yet to find/craft, and tons of ideas for structures floating around in my head that I have yet to realise.
The game's challenging if you want it to be but extremely laid back when you don't. Even night time is peaceful eventually.

Look at me rambling. I'll stop now. All you need to know is that it's great fun.

Oh, and if anyone wants to help me beat Skeletron, hit me up in about a week ;)

Looks like a pretty good deal for 10 bucks.

Will check it out when I am not broke.

I'm a huge fan of this game as well, but can't convince any of my cheap ass friends to get it. Anyone want to play multiplayer? It seems like it'd be more fun with more people

Sylocat:

I might like to see some more documentation and/or gameplay vids before purchasing, but the $10 price tag makes me reasonably sure it's a safe bet.

There's a 23-part video of the creators playing it. The retail release is essentially the same, although I feel like they nerfed the spawn rates

For your viewing pleasure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udp5ozoYfxM&playnext=1&list=PL4129CC1F5130E0C9

Josh Duke:

Sylocat:

There's a 23-part video of the creators playing it. The retail release is essentially the same, although I feel like they nerfed the spawn rates

For your viewing pleasure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udp5ozoYfxM&playnext=1&list=PL4129CC1F5130E0C9

Must say this, that LP has a lot of the game, also they are great doing it. Spawn rates been nerfed a lot, you won't get pounded by slimes or skeletons as much as it happens on that version, I played a while and I haven't seen more than 2 worms at the same time, while they been attacked by 4.

woops

NooNameLeft:
4 minutes ago I was proud at my crafted gold broadsword and the Magic boomerang I found (really fun weapon btw)...

Now I need to go back playing until I get lightsabers, guns and jetpet.

Double post...

I certainly see the appeal, especially for Minecraft fans looking forward to MC having a bit more "game" in its sandbox (which includes myself). I'm not the biggest fan of side scrollers though so I think I'll hang back for a while and see what happens.

Nothing seems to mention that you can allign yourself to one of four different teams, and toggle PVP.

Four-way Dungeon fortress siegeing!

Josh Duke:

Sylocat:

Cool, thanks. :)

After watching several of those videos, I don't think nerfing the spawn rates was a bad idea...

looks like a 2d minecraft ripoff

ginsengaddict2:
looks like a 2d minecraft ripoff

At first glance, I said the same.

Then I saw a bit more of it and found out, it does more differently then it does the same.

Bought it a couple of hours ago. Already feel like I got my money's worth.

gonna level with you here

as much as minecraft allows much more sprawling venues of creativity with the 3d aspect, in terraria the 2d aspect allows them to make the game much, much more engaging for less time needed to add more gameplay elements

overall, you'd go to minecraft to build ridiculously large things, and terraria to explore and fight, because they actually have STUFF to do rather than just mine and all sorts of crazy treasure to discover, far beyond that of minecraft

both games have their own appeal that, while similar at first glance, offer largely different experiences

at the risk of sounding like a complaining troll i have to say it looks like someone took a game from website and smashed it together with minecraft and hoped people wouldn't notice the difference.

Bought it over the weekend. I've only played around 14 hours but ive enjoyed every bit of it.

Biodeamon:
at the risk of sounding like a complaining troll i have to say it looks like someone took a game from website and smashed it together with minecraft and hoped people wouldn't notice the difference.

That do make you sound like a troll yes.
It isn't that at all.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here