The Big Picture: The Numbers

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 15 NEXT

The Numbers

How Scott Pilgrim ruined Guillermo del Toro's day.

Watch Video

this made me sad :( good video bob

My only thought after watching this was "...and the exact same can be said for gaming." It's always about the bottom line.

God Dammit, i want my Lovecraftian Horror!

Wow, i didn't even know about this. It's so sad that such a promising movie had to be canned. I hope Lovecraft horror hits the big screen someday. That one classroom sex-ed. was truly scary and mindbending an that was just a parody! :s

Let's hope Del Toro finds a home for his project.

That's really sad news. Granted, I'm not the biggest fan of Lovecraft, but I was still very keen to see At The Mountains of Madness; it sounded like it had the potential to be a terrific film. I suppose we ought to be grateful that we actually got Scott Pilgrim, but it's still a damn shame.

Very good video, by the way. Is it just me, or are the ones where he's pissed off at something often the best ones?

I didn't know that that film existed and it's a shame that it's been canned. Fuck you average moviegoer for forcing universal to make another mediocre film because it's the only way to make money.

The movie business is rated R
for RETARDED!

HankMan:
for RIDICULOUS!

Is your entire vocabulary made up of one line puns?
EDIT: Now you've you just made it mean

Depressing. This is probably as pure an example as there is of capitalism simply not working.

EDIT: I'll rephrase, since people are quite legitimately countering me on this. It's an example of capitalism doing more harm than good. It is working, but it's working against it's intention.

More Scott Pilgrim bullshit? Also The expendepals was not that bad. There are worse movie out there like Twilight

Part of Scott Pilgrim box office fail could also be blamed on limit release

Hell I'm not even sure if the movie was released in some countries at all (like Sweden)

So after your Atlas Shrugged review I decided to actually read the copy I had bought a couple years ago. It sounds to me like we're living in Ayn Rand's hell.

The only solution is for all the people with a brain to go on strike and disappear from the world. Once the world falls apart from getting nothing but Action sequels for the next 5 years we all come back to reclaim the world. Who's with me?

A bit of a film geek myself, I knew most of this already.
And yet... god it was hard to hear it.

Anyway, I saw Scott Pilgrim in theaters, I did my part.
That movie is great- but will be sadly irrelevant within 15 years.

I sooooo badly want to see "At the Mountains of Madness" get made.

MacNille:
More Scott Pilgrim bullshit? Also The expendepals was not that bad. There are worse movie out there like Twilight

don't get your knickers in a twist. bob actually has a significant point this time.

hawk533:
So after your Atlas Shrugged review I decided to actually read the copy I had bought a couple years ago. It sounds to me like we're living in Ayn Rand's hell.

The only solution is for all the people with a brain to go on strike and disappear from the world. Once the world falls apart from getting nothing but Action sequels for the next 5 years we all come back to reclaim the world. Who's with me?

Sadly, the world wouldn't fall apart, since audiences have proven themselves more than willing to sit through the same godawful crap over and over and over again while ignoring good movies completely.

Isn't the whole business model for the film industry kind of broken nowadays? People haven't primarily used theaters to see movies for a while now...why such emphasis on box office?

Sad but true. Very well explained.

What do you think could be done to counter this problem?

As far as the Lovecraft movie, I'm surprised Cameron didn't have enough pull to get the thing done on his word alone. Also, why did it have to be rated R? it's not like HPL's works are innately graphic, or it's not like there couldn't be a superior directors cut with all the juicy bits unmasked and included. In all I think the movie would make a lot more money if the theatrical release was good and accessible and the extended or directors cuts were as strange or graphic as the director wants them to be.

Art isn't art if it is never created.

It's depressing because it's true.

and it's true because life is depressing, so the miserable general public throws their hard-earned money at anything that distracts them for 90+-minutes, just so they keep making all that pointles pointless money

which they will then throw at more stupid shit

you know what's also depressing? I can't do anything about it. I'm not American and Domestic Gross is so much more important than International (with a few exceptions, all of which I forgot).

Best episode since the 3rd one.

The Expendables sucked too, although I didn't see Scott Pilgrim, not my thing.

Srdjan Tanaskovic:
Part of Scott Pilgrim box office fail could also be blamed on limit release

Hell I'm not even sure if the movie was released in some countries at all (like Sweden)

Here (Portugal) Scott Pilgrim was not only released months late, it was released in a total of 3 theatres nationwide. After one week, 2 of them had moved it to night slots only, by which point I gave up on actually being able to see it.

I totally agree with this apart from:
1. The expendables was actually a pretty good film.
2. Scott pilgrim was an incredibly poor film.

Yeah, it's disappointing. But, what more can be said? Not a perfect place.

HankMan:
for RETARDED!

Actually there's much calculation about sales and demographics involved so it's not the business that's retarded. It's us, the people that pay to see movies, that are retarded, since we choose to pay to see all the Hollywoos%#" instead of the really good movies, and so Universal that suprisingly showed integrity in moviemaking lost money because they chose integrity over calculation.
Also, if you think "but I didn't go see any of the bad movies, I only saw the good ones." You're still part of the retarded demographic that wants to see really vrappy movies and their remakes.

Ashcrexl:

MacNille:

don't get your knickers in a twist. bob actually has a significant point this time.

True, but i'm tired of him prasing Scott Pilgrim like it's the spawn of Jesus. Do you want to know why it failed? It has a very small demographig who would go see it.

First half= geek out
Second half= on the verge of tears

Fuck you general population, fuck you very much.

Hhmmm, so that's why Del Toro has been quiet all this time. He was trying to get Lovecraft out there. A hard sell at the best of times.

I'm on the fence about the Expendables. In a way it's aimed as squarely at movie fans as Scott Pilgrim was at the nerd demographic. But where everybody's seen a couple of movies that will make you get a few in-gags in the Expendables the Scott Pilgrim movie aimed at a niche within an already smaller demographic. Ie. not all comic book fans have read or liked Scott Pilgrim. It's not like it's The Sandman.

While I'm annoy this is another complaint about Scott Pilgrim failure however this does seen valid.
Heck this is the reason why modern Alien vs Predators films were 15 and not an 18 like the old ones. Money make the world go round...

CleverNickname:
It's depressing because it's true.

and it's true because life is depressing, so the miserable general public throws their hard-earned money at anything that distracts them for 90+-minutes, just so they keep making all that pointles pointless money

which they will then throw at more stupid shit

you know what's also depressing? I can't do anything about it. I'm not American and Domestic Gross is so much more important than International (with a few exceptions, all of which I forgot).

I think it is even more depressing that the publics lives suck so much that they will sink their money into anything that takes the suck out of their lives for a hour and a half. People did the same thing in the economic slump in the 1930s.

wow. That is rather depressing. This isn't exactly a movie that would be a product placement thing either. How did Scott Pilgrim fail?

Anachronism:
Very good video, by the way. Is it just me, or are the ones where he's pissed off at something often the best ones?

Yeah, Bob does his best when he's pissed, or when he has made some great connections other people might not have seen. It's when he gets on the same old soap box or just uses personal preferences as justifications that I quickly lose interest. (Yeah, I tune-in to get Bob's personal preference, but when that's the only content without any other meat I get frustrated.)

In any case his columns seem to be back on track with moviebobish-informative-ranty-goodness.

Myself and all my fiends spent quite a bit of money in total in supporting Scott Pilgrim, saw the film at the cinema multiple times, and all bought the DVD and the soundtracks. And it is very upsetting that it had to fail so badly. Although it did fair better here in the UK, but Edgar Wright has that pulling power. I'm just thankful that universal took that risk. Shame it seems like their last...

I watched Scott Pilgrim in cinemas twice in one day. it was depressing to see my contribution evaporate against the tidal waves of the ignorant.

*Sigh* Yeah....unfortunately military jack-off material will always bring in more money than innovation. No matter what the medium it's presented in.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 15 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here