Commentary on "A Golden Crown"

Commentary on "A Golden Crown"

The best part of the series are the minor characters.

Read Full Article

Death by gold.... about time.

A Golden Crown - Best bit so far. And we got rid of that tit.

Also thinks Tyrions a great character - haven't read the book, but I hope he lasts a long, long time.

i would of liked to see the strategy that Bronn put into fighting in the trial and lysa overly pushy attitude getting him killed. i think everyone weve seen so far has been using splint mail rather that plate or chain mail

To hell with season 2, we need a spinoff series featuring just Bronn and Tyrion. They were awesome in the books, but the series just cranks it up to 11.

Talking about minor characters I'm noticing a lack of Jeyne Poole, Sansa and her were together a lot in the book right? but so far in the show I think we see her once, during the dinner back at Winterfell?

I also would have liked more screen time for the hand's tourney.

Um what was that whole "You fight without honor" thing about at the end of the trial? I mean Bronn was standing there waiting for Lady Arryn to end the fight and she didn't say a dam thing. And he even stood as Tyrion's champion (granted it was a given that he wouldn't go unrewarded for his efforts) but he's still got more honor than anyone in Eyrie. (excluding the members of the Stark house of course).

Also it's really starting to bug me the way they portray Khal Drogo. The more I see of Tyrion owning every shot he's in, the more I'm aware that they're leaving Drogo so one dimensional. I haven't even read the books and it feels like there's something missing.

HankMan:
Um what was that whole "You fight without honor" thing about? I mean Bronn was standing there waiting for Lady Arryn to end the fight and she didn't say a dam thing. And he even stood as Tyrion's champion (granted it was a given that he wouldn't go unrewarded for his efforts) but he's still got more honor than anyone in Eyrie. (excluding the members of the Stark house of course)

Running around, throwing chandeliers and bystanders at your opponent is generally not regarded as a valid tactic in an honourable duel between True Knights (tm). Bronn, being a sellsword, doesn't actually give a damn about that sort of thing of course, but still.

Mathak:

HankMan:
Um what was that whole "You fight without honor" thing about? I mean Bronn was standing there waiting for Lady Arryn to end the fight and she didn't say a dam thing. And he even stood as Tyrion's champion (granted it was a given that he wouldn't go unrewarded for his efforts) but he's still got more honor than anyone in Eyrie. (excluding the members of the Stark house of course)

Running around, throwing chandeliers and bystanders at your opponent is generally not regarded as a valid tactic in an honourable duel between True Knights (tm). Bronn, being a sellsword, doesn't actually give a damn about that sort of thing of course, but still.

I can tell he and Tyrion are going to get along just fine >)

HankMan:

In lady Arryn's mind, Bronn was using underhanded tactics. Running away from the heavier, slower, more protected fighter. Jumping over furniture, knocking down lightstands, throwing bystanders in the way. All methods of tiring out the armored knight and then surgically striking the weak areas of the armor.

In Lady Arryn's mind, the only honorable method of fighting is probably just to hammer at each other with sword and shield. The knight's dance as described by Syrio. Bronn wouldn't have any of that and chose a more effective tactic.

Also, Lady Arryn is fucking crazy, so her opinion on honor is skewed.

HankMan:
Also it's really starting to bug me the way they portray Khal Drogo. The more I see of Tyrion owning every shot he's in, the more I'm aware that they're leaving Drogo so one dimensional. I haven't even read the books and it feels like there's something missing.

Must resist spoiling ...

Suffice to say that Khal Drogo is pretty one-dimensional and the drama of the story there is preserved in the show fairly well.

HankMan:
I mean Bronn was standing there waiting for Lady Arryn to end the fight and she didn't say a dam thing.

In addition to what was already said above RE: knight fights, I'm pretty sure his pause at the end was more of a taunt than a "want him to yield?"

When Khal Drogo poured the gold on ...that guy with a funny name (you know who I mean)'s head...
that was one of the most awesome and horrible things I've ever seen on TV. It was just epic.
Khal was just like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WWloVLRt24&feature=related.

I love this series, and am desperately wrestling with myself not to read the books as it will spoil it :/

I enjoy the series so far but for me I think it would better if there was pov character narration during some of these scenes.

For example in this episode, during the trial by combat scene Catelyn Stark has some extremely revealing insights about the fight.

The way it is present in the show it just makes Ser Vardis Egen look incompetent when that wasn't case.

Also when Tyrion first called for a champion, in the book this is where we first learn that Tyrion really hates being laughed at, but that's missing from the show just like all the other character narrated insights.

For anyone thinking about reading the books. Don't, get the audio book read by Roy Dotrice instead it's absolutely fantastic and much more enjoyable than the eyestrain that would come from reading the novel.

Lex Darko:
I enjoy the series so far but for me I think it would better if there was pov character narration during some of these scenes.

For example in this episode, during the trial by combat scene Catelyn Stark has some extremely revealing insights about the fight.

The way it is present in the show it just makes Ser Vardis Egen look incompetent when that wasn't case.

Also when Tyrion first called for a champion, in the book this is where we first learn that Tyrion really hates being laughed at, but that's missing from the show just like all the other character narrated insights.

For anyone thinking about reading the books. Don't, get the audio book read by Roy Dotrice instead it's absolutely fantastic and much more enjoyable than the eyestrain that would come from reading the novel.

But reading is "fun"damental. :)

I agree about the narration parts. I knew what was going on because I had read the books, but a newcomer could easily miss those elements. Of course I think any narration added at this point, would detract from the style already implemented

Lex Darko:

Except if they did it like the book, you'd have a bunch of internal monologues from various characters, which doesn't work nearly as well for tv/movies as it does in novels (different mediums, different ways of telling a story). See the Dune movie for an example of how annoying that can get.

An awesome recap, but I would have mentioned that the spoilers given would not be limited to the episode. I can't unread those last few sentences now.

I second the need for introducing more characters of the Brotherhood, I was so looking forward for a bald monk dressed in red swinging around a flaming sword :(

Also, where the hell is all the Jon Snow I asked for last week? sigh

Anyway, aren't we still missing a scene where Ned tells Cersei "I know who the father of your children is"?

Oh and the shrug Bronn made when he volunteered to be champion was priceless :D

Anyone else wondering when the filler is gonna start coming in? I mean if they pick this up ala True Blood, then GRRM only has 5 years to get out the 6th book, and then book 7 would have to come out right after. Considering the 11 years it took for books 4, and soon 5, I don't see that happening. That's of course assuming GRRM doesn't pull a Jordan on us. With his stance on fan fiction, I would find it ironic if someone else had to finish the series.

rickthetrick:
Anyone else wondering when the filler is gonna start coming in? I mean if they pick this up ala True Blood, then GRRM only has 5 years to get out the 6th book, and then book 7 would have to come out right after. Considering the 11 years it took for books 4, and soon 5, I don't see that happening. That's of course assuming GRRM doesn't pull a Jordan on us. With his stance on fan fiction, I would find it ironic if someone else had to finish the series.

Nahh he said that this one was just messed up, and that the last two would be coming out a lot quicker.

OT: I really enjoyed that one, however was disappointed at the lack of Jon. Ah, well, you can't fit every character in the episode.

Also crowning with gold was eevveennn better than I imagined it to be.

The Diabolical Biz:

rickthetrick:

Nahh he said that this one was just messed up, and that the last two would be coming out a lot quicker.

OT: I really enjoyed that one, however was disappointed at the lack of Jon. Ah, well, you can't fit every character in the episode.

Also crowning with gold was eevveennn better than I imagined it to be.

So I read into that, that he's being paid more to finish faster. Lol all kidding aside, this show is great, and I'm loving it so far.It will be interesting to see how the more mystical elements are implemented.

Well, I have to disagree this time around. I found that the scenes with Tyrion (who is by far my favorite character in the HBO production) and Mord didn't work well. Mord did as much, or more, cringing then Tyrion did. Every time Mord approached Tyrion he did so with so much timidity, that he comes across as cowardly. So much so that I could not envision Mord being in charge of any prisoner who could possibly be a physical threat. He gave the impression that he could barely handle Tyrion.

Mord is supposed to be a brutish lout, who enjoys taunting and abusing the Eyrie's prisoners. But in this episode he comes across more as a mean spirited little boy - in fact, you could have played out both scenes with Robert Arryn (Lysa's sickly son) and not change a single thing up to the point where the bribery occurs.

And lastly, in the first scene they took away Tyrion's greatest asset - his intelligence. When Mord comes into the room, Tyrion retreats to a SKYWARD corner. I know they did it to show the dire nature of the skycells, but that was just as easily done in the scene where Tyrion almost rolls out of the cell in his sleep. Tyrion certainly could have retreated to the landward corner across from the door.

Crimson_Dragoon:

Except if they did it like the book, you'd have a bunch of internal monologues from various characters, which doesn't work nearly as well for tv/movies as it does in novels (different mediums, different ways of telling a story). See the Dune movie for an example of how annoying that can get.

Maybe when the series goes on dvd they will do a director's cut with added narrations.

The Dune movie is one my favorites and I agree an internal monologues that are really long can be annoying but this show wouldn't have long monologues if they did the narration.

They wouldn't even have to narration they could just short one sided conversations in some places. For example Catelyn's insights during the trial could have been conveyed via conversation with Ser Rodrik instead of an aside.

But there should be something there to help newcomers understand that the fight wasn't just a case of heavy armor and power strikes vs light armor and death by a thousand cuts; but that Ser Vardis Egen wasn't even using his own sword.

rickthetrick:

Actually, the best thing I like about the series is that if it succeeds and continues beyond the first few seasons is that it should give GRRM a pretty good kick in the seat of his pants to get future books out. I actually stopped reading the book series after the third book because I'd heard that the 4th and 5th novels were splitting characters up between the two of them; and due to the totally ridiculous wait between books.

I'd also be surprised if HBO doesn't have some type of clause in their contract with GRRM, or his publishing house, allowing HBO to continue the story as they see fit if GRRM doesn't complete the next book(s) in a reasonable amount of time. Now granted, typically I'd see something like that as a pretty crappy thing to do to an author; but at the same time, I doubt HBO would commit to the expenses involved in a production of this size if they didn't have some sort of guarantee of completion on GRRM's part - especially considering how poor GRRMs track record is when it comes to putting out books in a timely manner.

Are there any publicly available details of the contract?

Lex Darko:

Seriously? I could see this if I was visually impaired, but I'm certainly not going to pay almost $30 for an audio version when I can purchase the paperback (or Kindle version) for $9. I guess it could be a decent investment if you're stuck in a car for hours a day... but other than that, no thanks. :)

Greg Tito:

Must resist spoiling ...

Suffice to say that Khal Drogo is pretty one-dimensional and the drama of the story there is preserved in the show fairly well.

Would you agree that Khal Drogo is probably the most intriguing support character in the series (book or tv) that you'd have like to have seen developed more?

El_Ganso:
Anyway, aren't we still missing a scene where Ned tells Cersei "I know who the father of your children is"?

That'll be next episode. Ned talks to her while Robert is away on the hunt, and at the end of the conversation she says "You win or you die" which is the title of the next episode.

Just finished reading Game of Thrones (and went straight into Clash of Kings) and I still feel like there's some pretty epic stuff coming up.
SPOILERS IF YOU'VE NOT READ THE FIRST BOOK:
I'm also curious how they'll frame...

I don't have enough praise for the casting in this though. Joffrey is a prick and the actor who plays him makes it really easy to hate him. And I can't wait to see Charles Dance as Tywin Lannister.

itf cho:
Would you agree that Khal Drogo is probably the most intriguing support character in the series (book or tv) that you'd have like to have seen developed more?

I agree that Drogo could have been developed more, but even in the books his character is just not as entertaining as the rest of them. When you're adapting a novel, you have to pick your battles.

I just wish they had spent a little more time with Sandor Clegane. He's got a pretty nuanced character and I wish we could have seen a little more interaction between him and Sansa.

ChristopherT:
Talking about minor characters I'm noticing a lack of Jeyne Poole, Sansa and her were together a lot in the book right? but so far in the show I think we see her once, during the dinner back at Winterfell?

I also would have liked more screen time for the hand's tourney.

Agreed on both points, but it seems the creators decided to use Septa Mordane and Littlefinger as Sansa's support rather than Poole. They likely couldn't have added another character without it becoming a mess.

Greg Tito:
I agree that Drogo could have been developed more, but even in the books his character is just not as entertaining as the rest of them. When you're adapting a novel, you have to pick your battles.

I just wish they had spent a little more time with Sandor Clegane. He's got a pretty nuanced character and I wish we could have seen a little more interaction between him and Sansa.

Agreed. They have laid some foundation in the tv adaption that he's not just a hired thug. And he does get some development in the 2nd book.

Well, all the people who thought that Syrio Forel, = Jaquen H'gar (who now is Pate) are now vindicated, due to the whole "There is only one God, and he is Death" thing.

It was a good episode overall, with refreshingly little sex. So at least they are not trying to shoehorn that in anymore, I hope.

And, yeah, the lack of Thoros of Myr does make me wonder how they are going to introduce him, and if that is going to be before the series ends. I doubt it though. I think that they are going to wait until they show Stannis and Melisandre before they introduce Red Priests properly. Well, that's my call, for whatever it's worth.

FFS nice warning about essentially giving plot lines away for the next 4 series . . .

Seriously the other ones have just talked about the episode in relation to the book, this one just gave everything away! Thanks!

Put it in bold at the beginning if that's what your going to do.

On another note, why is a gaming site reviewing/commentating on a tv series? Jumping on the band wagon much?

Greg Tito:

Agreed.The scene in the book where Sandor tells Sansa what happened to his face gave some nice insight into his character.We really got to see his hatred for his brother and his feelings on Knighthood and nobility etc.By having Littlefinger tell her in the series it didn't really have the same impact

Jedihunter4:
On another note, why is a gaming site reviewing/commentating on a tv series? Jumping on the band wagon much?

Maybe it's because this is a tv adaptation of a book series that has a lot of fans on this site(including Greg Tito the author of this piece).Just because this is primarily a gaming site doesn't mean they shouldn't cover other media types as well.Should they also get rid of MovieBob's weekly review show or get rid of all the non-game related forums too

Errahtik:
An awesome recap, but I would have mentioned that the spoilers given would not be limited to the episode. I can't unread those last few sentences now.

I agree with this, I should not have read it :-(

Gotterdammerung:
Well, all the people who thought that Syrio Forel, = Jaquen H'gar (who now is Pate) are now vindicated, due to the whole "There is only one God, and he is Death" thing.

It was a good episode overall, with refreshingly little sex. So at least they are not trying to shoehorn that in anymore, I hope.

And, yeah, the lack of Thoros of Myr does make me wonder how they are going to introduce him, and if that is going to be before the series ends. I doubt it though. I think that they are going to wait until they show Stannis and Melisandre before they introduce Red Priests properly. Well, that's my call, for whatever it's worth.

I didn't know that people thought Syrio was Jaquen. I (having just finished the fourth book, and the third only a few weeks ago) was wondering if Jaquen and the priest from the temple in Braavos (is that Pate?...I just remember Pate as one of the kids' names in Oldtown or something) were supposed to be the same person.

One thing that disappoints me a bit in this series is that they didn't go for the colored beards of the Braavosi and other people form the free cities. In fact, isn't Littlefinger described as having a green beard? I know the one who starts off taking care of Dany and Viserys (I'm terrible with names) does. I thought that would have been a cool visual effect.

Shjade:

In addition to what was already said above RE: knight fights, I'm pretty sure his pause at the end was more of a taunt than a "want him to yield?"

To me it looked more like what you would expect from a gladiatorial fight; one fighter overpowers his opponent and then looks to the VIP box (in this case the throne) to see whether or not the opponent is to live. then when he killed him i figured it must be a fight to the death, if the duchess (or whatever her title is) had wanted to keep him alive she would have declared that he yielded.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here