Episode 6: "A Golden Crown"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Episode 6: "A Golden Crown"

So many good ideas go wrong this week.

Read Full Article

I do hope Bran will stop getting people killed eventually. The kid is like a careless Hope diamond.

I think you said it before, but it bears repeating : is there a child in this show that is not a complete pill? I get that we are supposed to like Arya, but she's no better than the rest. She is merely a different kind of irritating. Sulking Sansa the Senseless is now her official name. Alliteration win!

The Targaryens are such a loss in this show. Perhaps the books do a better job of them. Gods but it would have to in order to turn a purchased "wife" that gets raped nightly into a loving spouse that embraces the culture in the space of a couple weeks. Perhaps they are going with Stockholm syndrome, but I don't think so.

I disagree regarding Ned's actions against the Lannisters. I think it makes good sense to go way overboard the way he did against the Mountain and the Lannisters. I think he (rightly) knows that he can't bargain with them. He is the Hand and will flex his power in a way that should cow them: cross me and you die, your land and wealth are forfeit, and your boss gets called to stand before the King. I think its a dicey move and not as dumb as stated. It could certainly backfire, but to appease them gets him nothing.

HBaskerville:
I think you said it before, but it bears repeating : is there a child in this show that is not a complete pill? I get that we are supposed to like Arya, but she's no better than the rest. She is merely a different kind of irritating. Sulking Sansa the Senseless is now her official name. Alliteration win!

The Targaryens are such a loss in this show. Perhaps the books do a better job of them. Gods but it would have to in order to turn a purchased "wife" that gets raped nightly into a loving spouse that embraces the culture in the space of a couple weeks. Perhaps they are going with Stockholm syndrome, but I don't think so.

I disagree regarding Ned's actions against the Lannisters. I think it makes good sense to go way overboard the way he did against the Mountain and the Lannisters. I think he (rightly) knows that he can't bargain with them. He is the Hand and will flex his power in a way that should cow them: cross me and you die, your land and wealth are forfeit, and your boss gets called to stand before the King. I think its a dicey move and not as dumb as stated. It could certainly backfire, but to appease them gets him nothing.

Except Fat Bob flat out tells him that he can't go against the Lannisters because he owes them so much money - a point I didn't address in the recap. So even if Ned is in the right, it might not matter.

And the Targaryens are far, far more complex in the books. Dany's relationship with Drogo makes perfect sense; you can really see the evolution from prize to loving wife, and it doesn't feel at all fake. It's really a shame it's been given such short shrift in the show.

Still though, 6 episodes into the show that remains very faithful to the book, it's doing a damn fine job.

Characters are still very awesome, Ned's a pretty giant bad ass without even killing anyone for a while, I'm enjoying.

Enough so that I paced myself and didn't take an early peak at next week's show.

Susan Arendt:

HBaskerville:

Except Fat Bob flat out tells him that he can't go against the Lannisters because he owes them so much money - a point I didn't address in the recap. So even if Ned is in the right, it might not matter.

And the Targaryens are far, far more complex in the books. Dany's relationship with Drogo makes perfect sense; you can really see the evolution from prize to loving wife, and it doesn't feel at all fake. It's really a shame it's been given such short shrift in the show.

I don't think you understand who Ned Stark is. He is an overly noble and honorable guy to the end. He will move against the Lannisters because it is the right thing to do, even if he knows it will cost him much hardship. He isn't the type of person who could ignore the cries of the peasants, or allow a fake knight to exist.

Personally I really liked the episode. Not sure why you think this one of all episodes falls flat.

godofallu:

Susan Arendt:

HBaskerville:

I don't think you understand who Ned Stark is. He is an overly noble and honorable guy to the end. He will move against the Lannisters because it is the right thing to do, even if he knows it will cost him much hardship. He isn't the type of person who could ignore the cries of the peasants, or allow a fake knight to exist.

Personally I really liked the episode. Not sure why you think this one of all episodes falls flat.

Where did I say it fell flat? And I understand Ned quite well. I just think he's a fool.

godofallu:

Between the overly obvious court audience scene (really, did they have to point everything out with fingerpaints to make sure no one in the audience got lost?) and the somewhat underwhelming fight for Tyrion's freedom - mostly just due to Bronn being portrayed as this agile cat-like fighter in the book where in the show he seems sorta...awkward - I'd have to say episode six is the first one to feel a bit weak to me. It's not a bad episode, but it doesn't hold up to the previous five; it feels rushed.

Worth it to capstone the episode with Vis's crowning, though. That scene, at least, held up very nicely.

Oh, as to kids in the show who aren't complete pills: Bran's a bit sulky (with good reason, I'd say?), but he seems an okay kid.

Only semi-related, I'm just curious: why is the Escapist doing episode-by-episode recaps for this show? Nothing against it, just not something I'd noticed going on with other shows, so it seems sorta random, unless I just haven't noticed it going on before.

Shjade:

godofallu:

Between the overly obvious court audience scene (really, did they have to point everything out with fingerpaints to make sure no one in the audience got lost?) and the somewhat underwhelming fight for Tyrion's freedom - mostly just due to Bronn being portrayed as this agile cat-like fighter in the book where in the show he seems sorta...awkward - I'd have to say episode six is the first one to feel a bit weak to me. It's not a bad episode, but it doesn't hold up to the previous five; it feels rushed.

Worth it to capstone the episode with Vis's crowning, though. That scene, at least, held up very nicely.

Oh, as to kids in the show who aren't complete pills: Bran's a bit sulky (with good reason, I'd say?), but he seems an okay kid.

Only semi-related, I'm just curious: why is the Escapist doing episode-by-episode recaps for this show? Nothing against it, just not something I'd noticed going on with other shows, so it seems sorta random, unless I just haven't noticed it going on before.

IDK I thought the fight went exactly the same in the book and in the show. In fact I remember him knocking over the pillar, jumping off the stairs, and basically running away the entire fight. Waiting for the heavily armored fighter to tire.

I don't remember the court scene enough to comment on it, but my favorite exchange of the book was in this episode.

Ceseri: I want Ned killed! He attacked my brother after getting drunk and whoring!
King: *punches Ceseri in the Face
Ceseri: I shall wear this bruise as a badge of honor!
King: Wear it in silence or I will honor you again!

That entire exchange just speaks volumes about the characters. Robert knew Ned would never go whoring, Ceseri was attempting to protect her family through treachery, and Ned sticks up for his wife against overwhelming odds.

There was also a bad idea going good...

hmmm...what if i put a dragon egg into the fire...wait a while...and pick it up!

WOW...I do not get burned...I am Dragonsblood!

godofallu:
IDK I thought the fight went exactly the same in the book and in the show. In fact I remember him knocking over the pillar, jumping off the stairs, and basically running away the entire fight. Waiting for the heavily armored fighter to tire.

I wasn't nitpicking the details or blocking itself - if I were to do that I'd point out that he doesn't knock over the pillar as in the book, which pins his opponent (who's supposed to be visibly older as well) for the kill. I was nitpicking the performance; Bronn just doesn't come across as a very agile guy in the show. He just seems less-slow than the guy in all the armor. Good enough to win, but not really the same thing.

I'm still shocked due to the homoerotic scene of Renly and Loras on Episode 5.
Was this even in the book?!

I don't know I enjoyed the episode. Everything is falling into place as far as the novel is concerned. a few liberties have been taken, but nothing to start crying about. And yes Ned is a fool but it's not out of stupidity, it's out of honor and the carrying out of his duties truly and honestly. he lacks guile, which is unsuitable for a man in his position. If Robert had truly loved the brother he chose, he would have let him stay in Winterfell. the kids are complete pills because kids are complete pills. It's just rare that they're taken seriously in a very adult fantasy setting(or period for that matter)

dibblywibbles:
I don't know I enjoyed the episode. Everything is falling into place as far as the novel is concerned. a few liberties have been taken, but nothing to start crying about. And yes Ned is a fool but it's not out of stupidity, it's out of honor and the carrying out of his duties truly and honestly. he lacks guile, which is unsuitable for a man in his position. If Robert had truly loved the brother he chose, he would have let him stay in Winterfell. the kids are complete pills because kids are complete pills. It's just rare that they're taken seriously in a very adult fantasy setting(or period for that matter)

I don't know about the kids not being taken seriously. Arya is a huge part of the story, Sansa is supposed to be very jaded/bitchy in order to provoke emotion, and both the bastard and Rob step up on multiple occasions.

TheShrimp:

No. There are some implications later on, but I haven't seen anything explicit about such a relationship yet (only about one third into the second book).

In that moment, she is the one who is strong, who is loved, who will rule - not him.

For some reason I found this one bit of Susan's writing quite odd. True, Daenerys is a victim of abuse, but since when does this particular murder to an adoring audience becomes a sign of strength and not good ol' payback? I don't feel like it shows up how strong she is particularly any more than it shows just how completely disposable, annoying and useless Viserys was that her own sis was wiling to watch him get an, ahem, Golden Shower. Budding sociopathy 101, anyone?

That to me is a sign that something ain't right with the girl...okay, that and her Stockholm Syndrome. The girl doesn't have a good mental track record.

I wonder what Ned will do with the knowledge that

godofallu:

dibblywibbles:

I don't know about the kids not being taken seriously. Arya is a huge part of the story, Sansa is supposed to be very jaded/bitchy in order to provoke emotion, and both the bastard and Rob step up on multiple occasions.

Sorry I should've clarified. I meant to say children aren't normally taken seriously in a fantasy setting, this would be the exception. It's still really hard to like Sansa though. I don't really consider Rob and Jon Snow to be children though, well at least Jon has grown into himself as a man.

question would having melted gold poured on your head kill you or just severely mess up you face? :P sucks to be Viserys

Susan Arendt:
Game of Thrones Recap - Episode 6: "A Golden Crown"

Read Full Article

Is it just me or did the direwolves get involved in the wildling fight for bran in the book?

Yea, I'm pretty certain shaggydog and Grey Wind tore the throats out of the two wildlings who were killed by robb in this ep.

.[B@lL15T1C].:
Is it just me or did the direwolves get involved in the wildling fight for bran in the book?

Truthfully I don't remember. But they need to remember to show the audience the dire wolves at least once an episode. Non-book fans will forget about them and they play important parts from time to time.

So does Rickson not exist in this show? I know it is hard to have a very young child. Because where are we really without Shaggydog?

Anyway I have really enjoyed the last two episodes. Though I wonder how non-book fans are doing. Because the show is basically fan service to fans of the books and I feel that non-fans will not know a lot of details that are important but never explained in the show.

Susan Arendt:

So many good ideas go wrong this week.

Read Full Article

I don't often (ever) make editorial suggestions for revision, but I think you really need to include a short bit about how Daenerys put the stone dragon egg in the fire and then picked it up without being harmed, while her servant was burned in the scale pattern when she took the egg away from Daenerys: it's fairly crucial in that it demonstrates to Daenerys that she may be the true Dragon, and almost definitely has much to do with her withdrawing her protection from Viserys.

Shjade:

TheShrimp:

No. There are some implications later on, but I haven't seen anything explicit about such a relationship yet (only about one third into the second book).

It was heavily implied in a conversation between Renly and his brother Stannis in the 2nd book. Something along the lines of Renly mentioning his new wife, who was a virgin. and Stannis replying "With you she's likely to stay that way"

animehermit:
It was heavily implied in a conversation between Renly and his brother Stannis in the 2nd book.

I haven't gotten that far yet, but even earlier at Renly's feast Catelyn observes he seems to be paying more attention to the Knight of Flowers than to his wife - not that he's neglecting the wife, but that his attention paid to her seems more token.

I miss The Dragon already :(

"YOU CAN'T DO THIS...I AM THE DRAGONNN!"

TheShrimp:

Most likely.

Like someone else said, I expected Bronn (muscle) to be more agile, but hey, he shared a few smirks with Tyrion (brain). So that's all right :p

A crown for a king.

A message from Tyrion to Catelyn and Lysa:

I think this was the best episode yet. It's been said before, but the younger actors on this show are freaking fantastic. Isaac Hempstead-Wright conveys Bran's restlessness well, Maisie Williams is an incredibly adorable asskicker, and Sophie Turner pouts like a freakin' champ. I even enjoyed the kid playing Robin/Robert Arryn (with the exception of his introductory scene.)

Here's something I've been wondering: Do you think the next season will be called "Clash of Kings," in keeping with the books, or "Game of Thrones," to minimize confusion?

.[B@lL15T1C].:

Susan Arendt:

Read Full Article

Yea, I'm pretty certain shaggydog and Grey Wind tore the throats out of the two wildlings who were killed by robb in this ep.

It's not just you. They've really almost completely removed the direwolves from the TV show. I'm wondering if it's because the animals were tough to work with, or something.

solidstatemind:

I don't often (ever) make editorial suggestions for revision, but I think you really need to include a short bit about how Daenerys put the stone dragon egg in the fire and then picked it up without being harmed, while her servant was burned in the scale pattern when she took the egg away from Daenerys: it's fairly crucial in that it demonstrates to Daenerys that she may be the true Dragon, and almost definitely has much to do with her withdrawing her protection from Viserys.

It's the one thing I left out that I felt funny about not mentioning. You're absolutely right, it is a very important thing, but I figured that it would be coming up again in later episodes, and now that Viserys is out of the way, we could address it then. Not a bad suggestion, bringing it up.

Great show, but I'm now one of the ones to come out and say the books are SOO much better! But isn't that always the case?

Have they said the show will end at book 1's end, and has the author said how many more books he's writing? I heard the 5th is to be the last.

Anyways... great recap again. It's good to see Bronn getting some time. Hodor needs to speak more. A lot more. (hehe) Also THAT'S The Lightning Lord? Okay, I'm really going to need to reread these books when I finish the fourth. I missed that the first time reading and watching the show.

The relationship between Rob Stark and Greyjoy Jr. is a little bit more full of tension than in the books. Supposedly, they were like brothers, but of the same age. That's okay, but so far Theon is too unlikable, when I think you're really supposed to sympathize with him for quite a bit.

Also, the problem with Rob and Sansa being too old is really showing through as they are acting like children... whereas in the books they are pretty much children, growing into adults still. Sansa's character is also getting short shrift because there are no interior monologues, and she is probably the most subtle character to follow, as far as "good intentions gone bad" goes. She's moody and teenage bitchy, and more than a bit of a slow learner, but she's not downright unlikable in the books. I'll keep whining about this until they fix it :)

The scene between Joffre and Sansa I don't remember from the books, but it was an odd addition. Joffre is painful to look at, but they did okay.

Khal Drogo has been really disappointing, but I for the first time liked Harry Lloyd as Viserys in this episode, and Daenerys is slowly getting better. The real stand-out on that side is Mormont, who was really cast well. Still, it's still a little Kiping-esque in its approach to strange cultures, if you know what I mean.

The Aerie has been a little disappointing, it's not as high up or as steep as I had expected. Lysa is downright freaky, as is her son, but wasn't she supposed to be puffy in the books, not skinny as a rail?

Also, a minor pet complaint: Syrio Forel looks like a douche. Sorry. But not as bad as Jon Snow.

.[B@lL15T1C].:

Susan Arendt:

Read Full Article

Having just passed that point on my re-read in honor of the series, you're almost right. Shaggydog wasn't there, it was Summer and Grey Wind. And Grey Wind killed 2 wildlings. Robb, Theon and Summer each had 1 kill.

Episode 7 is on www.hbogo.com a WEEK EARLY! And yes, it's all as the title "You Win or You Die" is up for. It's amazing!

Irish Soulface:
question would having melted gold poured on your head kill you or just severely mess up you face? :P sucks to be Viserys

If I remember from the books, they bend him over backwards, then pour the molten gold over his face, effectively suffocating him. I have no doubt that having any molten metal poured over your head would eventually kill you, but not that quickly.

Sober Thal:

Have they said the show will end at book 1's end, and has the author said how many more books he's writing? I heard the 5th is to be the last.

This season will end at book one's end, but there'll be at least one more season.

As far as the books, George R.R. Martin has speculated that the series will cover about seven books. He's tentatively named parts six and seven "The Winds of Winter" and "A Dream of Spring," respectively.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here