Jimquisition: Defending Call of Duty

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 19 NEXT

Defending Call of Duty

Very much how men and women of the military defend this nation's freedom overseas, Jim Sterling defends Call of Duty. In many ways, Sterling's cause is more righteous and noble than anything a soldier has ever, ever done.

Watch Video

*sigh* Is his solution to each complaint about his overacting just to overact even more? Is he deliberately trying to try way too hard to be funny? Is his intention to come off as desperate "ironically?"

It's not the fact that it's a huge thing ALONE that makes it shit. It's the fact that (like you said) because it is so big, so many other companies try to emulate it. Often alienating their original fans in the process and making a poorer product. Example: Bioware and Dragon Age 2.

It's like a videogame version of the Shoe Event Horizon.

Also, it is true that swearing teenagers are not the biggest part of CoDs audience. Unfortunately they are the loudest though.

Also, Jim, have I mentioned that with that outfit and flag behind you, you remind me of Norsefire from V for Vendetta?

This episode felt more serious than the previous ones. While I do enjoy the humorous parts of the show, this one showed that you are a very reasonable kind of person. Good stuff.

While not very subtly put, I completely agree with what he's saying. People will always be hating on what's popular, because that's what the 'cool kids' do, but a bit of sense seldom goes amiss.

Oh god, this is my favourite video series on this site. Jim is awesome XD

Don't know why I'm still awake but this was a pleasant surprise.

And also nice to see someone defend this franchise for a while. Black Ops was my first COD- game and I clocked a total of 150 hours. It was a simply good game.

And I'm not a hardcore online shooter fan.

you want a good reason why cod sucks?
not only has everyone else copied the game but the additional content delivered in MW2 and blops is on a scale other companies would achieve with a patch and a ladder wipe.
kiddies are not a majority, just a very vocal minority.
and i generally just prefer the speedier gameplay that comes with things like quake live.

oh and as somebody who does not own an xbox i just feel insulted by the way i am being treated as a customer.

Sylocat:
*sigh* Is his solution to each complaint about his overacting just to overact even more? Is he deliberately trying to try way too hard to be funny? Is his intention to come off as desperate "ironically?"

You sir, seem quite frustrated, maybe it was the subject of this episode that made you so?

Anyways, I welcome this new show and its counter-opinion to what is essentially the ethos of many gamers (and that includes members of the Escapist), that is, complete generalization of people based on something as unfounded as taste in video-games.

EDIT:

Mantonio:
It's not the fact that it's a huge thing ALONE that makes it shit. It's the fact that (like you said) because it is so big, so many other companies try to emulate it. Often alientating their original fans in the process and making a poorer product.

Video-game companies have been emulating whats the most popular since forever. I'd suggest you look up on the mascot- and fighter-craze of the nineties for an example.

Also...

Example: Bioware and Dragon Age 2.

...wat

I love the music in this show.

There were several points of his I agreed with, but his manner of speaking was simply to make the people in which he is speaking to angry, instead of actually making a point to them.

Also, the singleplayer's story is extremely generic and doesn't really make anything new.
Ohh look, the Russians are attacking the mercyless US civilians...ohhh no, russian ultranationalists, they must be evil...look, a nuke or emp for the 60th time in order to make you excited.
It just isn't good.

He seems awfully but sore over this.

You're defending CoD on the Escapist, one of the most sequel-phobic, anti-mainstream, "popular is bad (Unless it's Valve)", indie-snobby sites on the internet... that takes balls.

Anyway, the defenses have been pretty good. It's not the best defense, but it's good. And I do not like the whole "CoD players are dicks" mentalities.

People went back and captured Osama? That's news.

Jim just remember

Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's good *looks at Twilight*

Mr. Omega:
You're defending CoD on the Escapist, one of the most sequel-phobic, anti-mainstream, "popular is bad (Unless it's Valve)", indie-snobby sites on the internet... that takes balls.

Or maybe jim is doing what he always does and is being a despirate troll.

*sigh*

Y'know... when this guy is making points and arguing his case he actually comes across as intelligent, reasonable and articulate.

But then he goes and peppers it with that juvenile strawman crap. It's like a kid in a playground going "nyah nyah nyah". He is not helping his case. Because now when I think of CoD fans, I'm not going to be thinking of swearing 12 year olds, I'm going to be thinking of this guy in his flower hat saying, "Ohhh, all games have to comment on the human condition" in a stupid voice. Which is hardly an improvement.

And yes, I am aware that he does it on purpose and it's not meant to be taken entirely seriously. But at the end of the day, intentionally juvenile and annoying is still juvenile and annoying.

PS. Black Ops has a well paced narrative? That's the funniest thing I've heard in quite some time. CoD:MW? Sure. MW2? Eh... pushing it. Blops? Ha!

Lol why are you getting angry at CoD because other game studios are copying it? How does that make any sense at all?

I only play CoD:WaW really, because it's the one that I have. Although I can imagine easy ways of improving it, as others are copying CoD therefore making CoD the pioneer on this front i'd say they're doing well.

Can i not hate CoD for being 'too big' and think the "Games are Arts" wankers are also a bunch of dipshits who need to be crucified with even more prejudice than the CoDkiddies? Its weird how CoD develops a kneejerk hate reaction, it must be doing something wrong.

Edit: Also. Im really bad at shooters.

"Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is a game which defined what a modern multiplayer shooter could be".

Wrong, that would be Team Fortress 2.

Jim is doing a great job of embarrassing himself. He didn't acknowledge any od the main reasons people tend to dislike COD.

Boring environments.
No innovative mechanics.
No teamwork

etc...

My problem with CoD MW is not the gameplay or the mainstream succes of the franchise, but more that it alienates me as a consumer.

CoDMW has made it pretty obvious that my ethnic group is not the target audience and this has kept me from playing any of the Modern Warfare games...

Which is really a shame considering that I have mainly heard good things about it.

I loved Modern Warfare. It was the sequel whose patently stupid plot really drove me insane. Bleck. And Black Ops was just insulting.

First one was great though.

Hyper-space:

Sylocat:

You sir, seem quite frustrated, maybe it was the subject of this episode that made you so?

Anyways, I welcome this new show and its counter-opinion to what is essentially the ethos of many gamers (and that includes members of the Escapist), that is, complete generalization of people based on something as unfounded as taste in video-games.

I have no problem with the subject of this episode. I'd like to see him actually say something that hasn't already been said much more insightfully by James Portnow and MovieBob, and I'd like to see him deliver his lines in some other way than "trying way way way way WAAAYYYYY too hard to put on an over-the-top persona," but I fully agree with his basic premise that being popular doesn't automatically make something bad.

I quite like the storylines in CoD:Mew, and CoD:Mewtwo (though I think CoD:BO was stupid), though the gameplay is cookie-cut from every other fucking FPS on the market but what else is new.

You're awesome.

You know what this show's problem is? You are to modest! Seriously, with your intelligence, good looks and overall awe inspiring presence, your modesty does not suit you. You sir, need to man up to the big pack of awesomeness that is: You!

I dont think peopel say its shit completely (well, they do) but I think more people say the games are shit in comparison to other games int he series.

Actually, I thought he was going to talk about that Thing Fox News Did.

I actually liked hearing someone defend COD for once, instead of all the shoot downs. (But still hearing the list of horrid stuff snuck in there.)

Very good episode, glad I kept watching, but I have to say, some of the humor is still dry. Though its nice to Jim trying to go about it in a... lets just say different... way this time.

Oh... and thanks for helping catch Osama, Jim.

I agree with you, Jim, except for one statement:

I dislike the advantages (more perks, weapons, etc.) an experienced player has. You covered this in the video and stated that it was not any different than an experienced player in i.e. Quake. I disagree.

A player (let's call him Dave) that gets wrecked in Quake because of him not knowing where the weapons are is going to want to change that by, for example, looking it up on the internet. If Dave still gets wrecked after that, it is the experience of the better player that gives him the advantage over Dave.

If Dave played Call of Duty, weapon spawn locations don't matter too much (except for some FFA gametypes). Of course, Dave gets wrecked. But this time he can't do anything about that because the advantages of the other players are not (only) based on knowledge (weapon spawns) and game experience, but gametime, too. Sure, if Dave is bad at FPSs he gets wrecked no matter what, but Perks/Weapons/Killstreaks are something that he can't do anything about even if he is decent at gaming.

I hope you get my point.

mfG diiebane

EDIT: Also, I don't buy in the hatred towards younger gamers. I'm sure most of us have played games before we were legally allowed to. What gives us the right to deny those players the game? People who bash little kids for playing CoD (and other games) are most likely Hypocrits.

Warlord Timmy:

Scrumpmonkey:

Or maybe jim is doing what he always does and is being a despirate troll.

>despirate troll
>despirate

Lol what? You could at least bother to spell a word you don't understand right...

**posts like they are on 4chan**

Yeah... im gonna listen to you...

Jim reads the Escapist I see. He takes upon some discussed topics to troll everyone with at the beginning - quite funny in my opinion. Also Jim, no, COD didn't invent unlockables in FPS - Battlefield franchise did. Much earlier. Just saying.. not like there is an internet argument to be won.

... I actually agree with him, so much.

I especially like his making fun of the abnoxious pricks who say it's bad because it's not art.

I typed all the stuff above this line before the bit where he decided to be utterly retarded about Bin Laden.

Never mind, hate him.

Another good video by Ser Jim.

Too bad Blops SP/MP were just awful: sure the first time playing the SP was great, but the second time, was just awful when you just notice how much cutscenes is embedded into the game shortening its length by a good few hours of boring exposition. The MP on the other hand, all of the problems of CoD4, without the improvements of MW2. Felt more like CoD4.5. [/rantingaboutBLOPS]

Yeah, So, I didn't care for war shooter long before it was cool.

Mantonio:
It's not the fact that it's a huge thing ALONE that makes it shit. It's the fact that (like you said) because it is so big, so many other companies try to emulate it. Often alienating their original fans in the process and making a poorer product. Example: Bioware and Dragon Age 2.

It's like a videogame version of the Shoe Event Horizon.

Also, it is true that swearing teenagers are not the biggest part of CoDs audience. Unfortunately they are the loudest though.

Also, Jim, have I mentioned that with that outfit and flag behind you, you remind me of Norsefire from V for Vendetta?

Lolz you made me chuckle

Way to say : " I totally understand you and agree with everything you said"
and then
"But I fucking disagree so THERE!"

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 19 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist: