Jimquisition: Defending Call of Duty

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 19 NEXT

I like CoD.
Just not the ones coming after CoD2.

It's not so much that I think CoD is a bad series, but it's far more popular than it needs to be. Yeah, Modern Warfare was a great game, and revolutionized online multiplayer. MW2...just did more of that. And Black Ops, even more of that. I mostly hate how CoD is synonymous with video games these days. Every time I tell someone I like playing games, the first thing they ask is if I like Call of Duty. Why don't I ever hear people ask about Assassin's Creed or Fallout or Red Dead Redemption? Those are all big-budget, mainstream titles with their own merits and appeals, but all I meet are people who like Call of Duty. I'm not saying everyone has to like obscure games like Shin Megami Tensei. Just, you know, put a little more variety into your gaming diet.

Got up to the point where he donned the yellow cap and acted like a gay man. I do have to say that I am straight and take offense to that stereo-type. And I am not watching another of his videos.

He mentioned Farmville. I hate Farmville for this reason: MONTHS before Farmville started I was playing an App called Farm Town. Farmville came out and was the EXACT same thing. Zynga doesn't make their own shit they blatently rip off others.
He mentioned Angry Birds. I have to say that I do not agree with it destroying gaming. Its a fun casual game to play when your trying to kill 10-15 minutes at a time.

And now to my reason why CoD is shit. Yeah the multiplayer is fun but seriously multiplayer isn't the only thing it needs. It needs a solid single player so you can play by yourself once in a while. I did enjoy the story of MW1 didn't bother with WaW thought it was too soon for another good game. Then MW2 came out and my brother got it since I didn't have a job to get the game at the time. The story was quite a bit lacking. Then there was BlOps. I purposely went out of my way to find out every spoiler about the story. Yeah story doesn't have a prayer once you've played through it once. The only thing that helps the story is its one plot twist.

I actually still have hopes for the CoD series because they seem to have the Multiplayer part down now hopefully they can get the single player to have an actual good story.

Jim, Call of Duty is terrible for two reason that I'm sure that you and everyone else here, including Yahtzee, will find enlightening:

1. It's initials are COD and that's the name of a fish, therefore, as a series, it's qualities are all fishy.
2. There are no RPG elements (or rather, it lacks the most important ones, those being action points, giant swords and navel-gazing philosophical quandaries) or Nazis to kill in it.
2 1/2: This guy!

This is your mind on COD! Any Questions? (That question was rhetorical!)

Q. E. D.! Therefore, your points are invalid!

Nah, I'm joshing with you. Not only do I agree with your points, they can easily be applied to any form of entertainment at all. Good show, sir Sterling.

I don't hate Call of Duty because it is popular or because the story can be far fetched. I don't even really hate the CoD series as I still love Call of Duty 4. I hate Modern Warfare 2 because of balance issues.

On behalf of England, I would like to apologise for this cretin.

This is the first episode I've gotten through, and Jesus fucking Budda with the star of David, this guy is a douche.

Srdjan Tanaskovic:
Also here are some arguments COD have for hating it and thinking it ruined FPS

Linearity
Rechargeable health
More time spent on making the Multiplayer then Singeplayer
Makings games to brown and gloom
Limit weapons

Nothing wrong with being linear.
That's in Halo,
That's not new *cough* Warhawk
I blame Gears for that
Halo again.

I'm warming up to this guy. Keep it up, Jim.

Dear Jim i going to try argue that call of duty while it has its good games i still find it a lack luster series other than call of duty four witch i found very fun. The fist call of duty was the first set in ww2. It was launched in 2003 and was new and interesting, then the sequel witch was good because it focused on the game from a different direction ie the European forces. Then it goes down from three with spin off after spin off set in world war 2 to the point it just stale. the after cod 4 trearc put the game back in ww2 and modern warfare 2 i just hatted because it was multi-player focused game and a small single player all so im a pc gamer so take last statement for what you will.

I agree! I didn't think that would actually happen.

aegix drakan:

1) The gameplay just doesn't appeal to me. I like the perk system, but I don't like the whole "you die in 2.5 hits" thing. To me, it feels like "whoever sees the other player first automatically wins".

For some reason it seems like a bigger problem in COD than any other shooter.

I'm really digging this guy he's real escapist material I mean look how much he gets under people's skin with his. Everything. Just like Yathzee and moviebob. James will be our nice guy. Movie bob will be the nerd. Yathzee the Cynic. and now Jim our narcissist. They are the archetypes of the escapist. Kneel before them.

Well I can't say that Call of Duty is not a absolutely horrible series (I, myself, adored CoD:MW) but I really don't like where Activision is taking the game.

And my problems with the game are (I'm limiting this to the Multiplayer):

1. The players are too bullet-squishy.

I play Team Fortress 2 and Brink, which is probably where this complaint comes from. In the CoD series, if someone is under another person's crosshairs, they're dead. Nevertheless this happens in real life, but it's important to give players a chance to fight back if they're ambushed.

So in CoD, no one really bothers to venture out in groups, because three bullets to the leg can kill you. So people usually just sit in a corner, waiting for some unlucky sort to pass by.

2. No sense of teamwork.

I never get a feeling of teamwork in CoD games. People always seem to go on their own, because there's no real way of defending your team-mates because of how easily they die (See #1)

3. Everyone looks the same.

There's no real differentiating looks between enemies and allies alike. The classes in TF2 are all easily recognizable, as you're near always able to tell what weapon they have and what team they're on (classic red/blue contrast). I can never see this in CoD games.

4. Health regeneration.

Yep, this little nugget again. Another problem with the lack of team-work is this. Medics on multiplayer games are always important, and games winning or losing can be determined by Medics. People will protect them, making an objective for both teams, helping ensure team-work.

But when you can just sit in a corner, suck your thumb for 4 seconds, and grow both your legs back, this can deter team-work and have people go own their own, not needing anyone's help.

While I'm slightly okay with it in single-player games (begrudgingly so), multiplayer games never work with health regen.

Though some health regen has worked. I like the idea of a regen armor over a squishy interior (Crysis 2, Halo, etc.).

Davroth:

Maraveno:

Davroth:
Yeah, So, I didn't care for war shooter long before it was cool.

ah the new meme

Reported for being a troll since that is a troll meme

I was not aware of that. Is there a list somewhere of things I'm allowed to answer so I wont run into this situation again?

Also, what I wrote was nothing but my honest opinion.

Trolling and Meme's are frowned upon
Just a heads up

You're post had to have some actual foundation.

Stuff like " I can't fap to this" "Herp Derp"

Or the Hipster troll of " I hated it before hating it was cool" < your's

Are usually not looked upon that kindly

In that sense however I don't think this one is that widespread yet so people won't notice it much

But people tend to get really pissy on this site.

Warlord Timmy:
Oh god, this is my favourite video series on this site. Jim is awesome XD

You're kidding right?

To me, this show is nothing more than unintelligent ramblings on topics that everyone already understands and bad humor.

Couch Radish:
Well I can't say that Call of Duty is not a absolutely horrible series (I, myself, adored CoD:MW) but I really don't like where Activision is taking the game.

And my problems with the game are (I'm limiting this to the Multiplayer):

1. The players are too bullet-squishy.

I play Team Fortress 2 and Brink, which is probably where this complaint comes from. In the CoD series, if someone is under another person's crosshairs, they're dead. Nevertheless this happens in real life, but it's important to give players a chance to fight back if they're ambushed.

So in CoD, no one really bothers to venture out in groups, because three bullets to the leg can kill you. So people usually just sit in a corner, waiting for some unlucky sort to pass by.

2. No sense of teamwork.

I never get a feeling of teamwork in CoD games. People always seem to go on their own, because there's no real way of defending your team-mates because of how easily they die (See #1)

3. Everyone looks the same.

There's no real differentiating looks between enemies and allies alike. The classes in TF2 are all easily recognizable, as you're near always able to tell what weapon they have and what team they're on (classic red/blue contrast). I can never see this in CoD games.

4. Health regeneration.

Yep, this little nugget again. Another problem with the lack of team-work is this. Medics on multiplayer games are always important, and games winning or losing can be determined by Medics. People will protect them, making an objective for both teams, helping ensure team-work.

But when you can just sit in a corner, suck your thumb for 4 seconds, and grow both your legs back, this can deter team-work and have people go own their own, not needing anyone's help.

While I'm slightly okay with it in single-player games (begrudgingly so), multiplayer games never work with health regen.

Luckily each issue you named is clear in the battlefield bad company games

So

Ehm

guys I don't know what to do now!
you tell 'm to clap
Like this?
yeah...no but nevermind

I don't think anyone has a problem with the COD games specifically. I myself don't enjoy playing war games, or very many first person shooters at all, but I played MW2 and Black Ops and they're pretty good. The thing that people don't like are people who play them. Obviously, I don't mean everyone. Most of the guys who play COD are perfectly respectable people. But the few who do nothing but yell into the mic all the time and ruin the fun for everyone else.

Another great episode, Jim. I've enjoyed all of them so far, even if others might not get the humour. I think the show is brilliant, keep it up.

This was probably the most consistently entertaining Jimquisition to date. I think you work best when you're commenting on a particular game or franchise, which isn't really adding anything to this site but it DOES add a different perspective than the rest. So keep up the good work.

Zhukov:
*sigh*

PS. Black Ops has a well paced narrative? That's the funniest thing I've heard in quite some time. CoD:MW? Sure. MW2? Eh... pushing it. Blops? Ha!

You sir, may have a drink on me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7v0V58V3Uw

Basic summary of Black Ops' storyline? BANG, BANG, RUN, HELICOPTER!

OT: When this guy makes points in the voiceovers, he comes across as reasonable and intelligent. Unfortunatly, he then comes back with the live segments, in which he seems to be trying to exploit the comical arrogance of Yahtzee and Moviebob, with none of the wit.

Totally agree. I myself do not derive much enjoyment from CoD games and haven't played it since CoD4, but other people clearly do, and so what? Let them enjoy what they enjoy and stay out of it. It's almost as bad as people who tout their music taste as superior in every way and that pop and hip-hop are terrible genres with no redeeming features and everyone who listens to it is automatically stupid.

God, those people make me ashamed to call myself a metalhead sometimes.

I really like you, Jim, but I think perhaps you've missed the point of why Call of Duty is so (seemingly) universally panned. It's not because of overuse, or a "games r art" sentimnent. After all, Call of Duty 4 DID say something about the human condition, and made an incredible statement about nuclear weapons and war as a whole.

No. Things that make modern Call of Duty iterations bad are the declining, rushed-out quality of the singleplayer campaigns, and the fact that it comes out year after year after fucking year, an obvious cash-grab from the publisher's side, and little more than contract work on the dev's side.

Yay, the multiplayer is still as addictive as ever, but Call of Duty 4 had an INCREDIBLE single-player experience, which is what I remember above all about the game (as much fun as I had with the multi-player), and with the advent of lack of dedicated servers PC-side in MW2, to a poorly-written and paced campaign in Black Ops, the Call of Duty series, despite popularity, is of POOR QUALITY.

Here's hoping Battlefield 3 can show people how games like CoD are MEANT to be made. In the meantime, let bygones be bygones I say. There's absolutely no reason anyone says a game is shit other than THEY THINK THE GAME IS SHIT. Art for art's sake is possibly WORSE to "hipsters" than... just plain art. And Call of Duty 4 was art. Sorry, Jim.

COD 4 was awesome, no one is complaining about it, MW2 is the one that is hated, I find it crappy.

And the argument of the newcomer and the expert player is wrong, if a experienced player is using a new account he can lose a fight because of perks, an experienced player in quake can always kick ass.

Newcomers should always expect to get their asses kicked for a bit, its normal, that is why they are called NEWBIES.

PS: Why is the escapist going after pretencious dudes that think that they know "THE THRUGH", seriously, Movie Bob and now this guy. Go watch Extra Credits, they actually teach instead of rubbing useless facts on our faces that prove how great you are.

My argument against Call of Duty is less about the series itself and more about what it has become.

Call of Duty 4 was a friggin' masterpiece. In both its single player campaign and its multiplayer are designed to be fun for all levels of play. Offering many different game types and playstyles for players to pursue.

Call of Duty: World at War wasn't as well designed(With some things outright not working), but it was ambitious and legitimately tried to deliver something that people would enjoy.

Modern Warfare 2 is when the series hit the shitter. It wasn't a game meant to be enjoyed, it was a game meant to be played. Offering more ways to grind, more "cool" classes while throwing any sort of balance to the wind.

I frequently found myself just cursing the game whenever I played it. Its design was good for casual players(not a bad thing in itself) but it takes the casual design and twists it and turns it into some sort of casual abomination. A good multiplayer game is a game that is easy to access from a newbie point of view but offering great depth for long time players. Modern Warfare 2 forgoes the latter part to just sell as many copies as possible. And then adding skinner box methods to keep people playing and telling their friends to buy it. It's not a game, it's a billboard. The series needs to go back to basics and figure out where exactly the series was strong and where it completely failed. They need to figure out how they came up with Call of Duty 4. And figure out how they messed up Modern Warfare 2.

Oh, and its level design was absolute garbage too.

I usually hate Jim, but this was actually a pretty decent episode.

I don't hate Call of Duty because it's popular. I just don't care for it, mostly because it's a gritty, brown, """"""realistic"""""" game (although I'm not sure if it really is anymore), and also because it's a first-person shooter, and I don't like first-person shooters.

retterkl:
Lol why are you getting angry at CoD because other game studios are copying it? How does that make any sense at all?

I only play CoD:WaW really, because it's the one that I have. Although I can imagine easy ways of improving it, as others are copying CoD therefore making CoD the pioneer on this front i'd say they're doing well.

Who are you talking to?

I cannot deny Call of Duty is well made, it's slick, it's well produced, every minute is planned and the presentation is flawless. But it is nothing new. It's the honing of a good idea, and I can't fault the game as a game. I can fault it as art though.

Art is rarely about the stimulus and all about the ideas behind it. The ideas behind a game like No More Heroes are to criticise western video game development and explore the "hollow symbols of American culture", the idea behind Call of Duty is to make the next Call of Duty. Maybe some stuff about war being shit but the focus has always been multiplayer, and I doubt artistic vision comes into that. I could be wrong, but I think any analysis of the ideas behind Call of Duty Multiplayer would be deeply misguided.

I liked Black Ops, because there was actually a theme running through that, and it did actually question the medium. Not thoroughly enough to be truly moving, it's not terribly good as art, but it is still a decent theme.

I played Modern Warfare 2 (single player) and it was good fun.

Ha ha haaa, as if CoD:MW defined modern multiplayer. As stated before, Team fortress is much better in that regard & you mustn't forget about the long running Battlefield series which has been focusing on multiplayer for a decade. So don't give me this crap, if anything they were the first ones to appeal to knuckle draggers & low brow gun fetishistic peeps in America... This is fact so get over it already, we shouldn't stagnate over this old hat argument!

Not everyone who dislikes call of duty just because it's popular,(although there are a good handful of these people) some just generally don't like it. Although Jim does have 2 really good points. Disliking COD or liking a certain game doesn't automatically make you superior to COD players. And, liking COD doesn't automatically turn people into a dumb jock or an insufferable 1337 gam3r.Overall Jim does have points but, I think he needs to stop attacking COD dislikers.

Edit: I also like to add another good point made by Jim is that it's not exactly Call of duty's fault that other companies try to imitate it. In a perfect world, all companies would try to be original but in the real world, if something is popular, others will imitate it to try to get a small sliver of that popularity.

I've got to totally disagree with Jim. I even feel a little agitated after watching him. He's no Extra Credits.

COD:MW2 has set the standard for games to neglect single-player campaigns in favour of multi-player. As a hater of mankind, I don't play a lot of multi-player. That and it's not fun to get continuously killed by higher ranked heavily armed ninja veterans or being the only blip on the radar as endless predator drones rain down when ever I'm outside. I almost immediately turned off incoming audio after there was some dick with a soundboard.

As for the single-player campaign of MW2, it has interesting moments, but it's a mess of a narrative with holes everywhere. What's with the cold war thing anyway? It's bad enough it has throwbacks to Red Dawn, one of the worst films I've seen (which homefront obviously loved). An interesting counter-point is that they didn't necessarily need a narrative and by adding one at all, shows some effort.

Then the was pricing, they jacked up the cost of the game by 10 and the DLC is extortionate. I only own a copy because I got it free with the console. And now they're realising one every year like a sports title. They don't care about quality, they just want a quick buck.

Mostly though, mostly, my main complaint is the douchebags on youtube. There are just so many...

This is the first video on The Escapist that made me miss the simplicity of Pac-Man. Thank you, Jim, for aging me and making me feel even more like my DAD.

Boy did this take some effort to get to watching. I thought the third vid was fine, or at least better from his first two. I guess that this guy has gradually made the transition from angry ranting person angrily ranting about nothing in particular to an incredibly smug person who really has no right to be. He really isn't as good as he thinks he is; he doesn't discuss important or even interesting topics like Extra Credits, doesn't serve a purpose like Movie Bob, and tries way too hard to be hilarious and off the wall, a talent that only Yahtzee can really get away with. As great as Yahtzee is, I don't need an entire magazine of him and people attempting to be him.

Notice how when addressing the opposition he went strait for the stereotypical high-brow gamer as the person who hates COD and who he puposefuly makes seem like a total dick even, but then defends COD players as not being stereotypes and says that they are decent people. I'm not saying that the second statment is untrue, but if part of his argument involves diffusing stereotypes, then he should not use them himself.

COD doesn't suck to people because its not "arty". Mock the right people Jim, otherwise you just come of as a tosser.

despite having a stick so far up his ass that he could lead a parade through Central New York (Which mixed with over-acting is part of the show anyways), I find Jim actually does know what he's talking about.

CoD series is full of good games, and people do like it. It isn't my cup of tea, but I certainly will not mouth off against it like some useless hick that finds any old excuse to bash a perfectly loved game. Closed minded people make me sick...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 19 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here