Zero Punctuation: Brink

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

this is the first Zero Punctuation in a while now that actually made me laugh out loud rather than just smile!

props to you, mr yathzee!

I have to say, this is why I like Zero Punctuation. I have been hating on Brink since it was first announced, thinking "so it's Team Fortress 2 with Mirrors Edge thrown in. Why wouldn't I just play Team Fortress 2 instead?" And low and behold, the game releases, and it's utter crap. And when that happens I'm just itching to hear Yahtzee get his hands on it so he can rip it a new one. Then set the game on fire with the flaming of its fanboys and have a nice marshmallow treat while playing an unarguably better game that came out within the same week as Brink that utterly crushed it in sales (LA Noire)

Video game Darwinism at work, ladys and gents.

I'm probably the first to point out that the gun sounds In BRINK are pretty dang awesome; they sound viscous, Security weapons sound clean and clear while Resistance guns sound more rusty, and Splash damage certainly didn't take shortcuts on the silencers either like other FPSs (I'm looking at you two CoD & Combat Arms).
Yes, I like gun sounds, I like sounds in general. Deal with it.

Staying on topic here, I enjoy the game, the bots haven't really been too much of a problem for me, and all the weapon and body types seam balanced. Speaking of bots; to all those who are saying that the bots in BRINK are incredibly stupid and that they have to do everything themselves, I should point out that I HAVE COMPLETED THE ENTIRE 'CAMPAIGN' IN SINGLEPAYER (All on normal, a couple on hard) WHILST ONLY USING THE SOLDIER CLASS. You just need a bit of patience... and make sure the area is clear.

And I'd probably have to disagree with Yahtzee when it comes to the early classes;
-Soldiers never have to worry about running low on ammo, and they get to throw a few Molotovs every now and then
-Engineer get to buff team mate's weapons (a big thing with sniper rifles), and place mines on the battlefield (I swear those things are worse than Claymores...)
-Operatives get to go undercover and perform wedgies to the opposing team in the form of a shotgun blast to the back of the head.

Lol at using mostly weps from the TF2 review.
Yeah, have to agree with most of that

Brink isn't made by Bethesda! They just get the game from the developer to your local store. Well talk after Skyrim has been released...

Oh Yahtzee, I beg thee, you ask why people have to grind for unlocking items?
1) Raising playtime for the box cover
2) Arguably giving the player a sense of achievement and growth.[1]
3) There are actually people that reaffirm their sense of whether they had fun with a game via their play length. Curious, isn't it?

It's really mind-boggling how much Brink tried to copy TF2 without understanding it, especially considering the stylization. The TF2's character stylization works well because it works together with the world stylization and the humor while Brink just stylizes the body a bit (most strongly the head, but those hardly count to the silhouette - hence TF2's easy-to-read-silhouettes haven't been strongly affected by hats... oh Dapper's Topper, you bitch).
Brink took itself totally seriously. What's the point of cartoony proportions there?
Not to mention the frikkin color filter ruins your outfits color composition.

I consider myself really lucky since I played it at a friend's. Since TF2 is slowly going down the drain[2] I had hoped for a clone with less Mannconomy-Update-induced shite. Brink had more customization, true, but at least it all fit somewhat well together, as opposed to... no, I can't take another shot. Anyway, I underestimated the power of silhouettes once more and I tip my hat to the original TF2 design team.
Because there's no way they're still working on it.

[1] Tho the intelligent unlocking process that doesn't incorporate grind, especially not for every fucking character you create (concerning the Abilities, not weapons or clothes). Instead the reason why you're not given all the toys at once is because it's an implemented tutorial that makes sure you know how to play with the normal toys before giving you more and more complicated ones. In shooters with different classes this also means you need to learn your role and general strategy.
[2] Not just because of the artstyle. Community Contributions lead to Valve first picking a model and then thinking up (boring) stats, which are often +stat1 -stat2. Community Contributors orientate their models around already existing ones, which means variety both goes down (except in melee weapons - everything can be one) in style (harder to identify) and in concept. That means we won't get stuff like the Wrangler that's incomparable to any other item in use and looks. And those weapons are the most fun ones. Valve also doesn't have the heart to remove already added items, so QA suffers even more. They can't correct mistakes as easily as before. Tier 2 set items didn't have hats as a requirement anymore because Valve realized it had been a mistake, but Tier 1 still has hats as a requirement because some players payed dearly for the hat because of the bonus. Talk about digging your own grave.

The key here really is that Bethesda, like many Game Developers, are well on their way down the slippery slope that comes with money and a few big titles in their pants. Unfortunately, just like cars, once a manufacturer puts a couple of nice titles out there and makes a few quid there are two inevitable outcomes. The first is that they get hungry for more cash, the second is that they will shorten deadlines and push more and more weak titles out onto the market to cash in on their "Badge value".
Bethesda have pretty much existed off the back of Oblivion, and Fallout 3 and pretty much continue to do so.

Aww man, I was hoping Brink would be kinda Timesplitters-y...
It looks kinda Timesplitters-y, I get that feeling from the trailers anyhow.

The closest kebab place is closed right now...

I am going to re-watch this but with a beer, and I thought brink was going to disappointing, and everywhere conformed what I said.

Lol. That wasn't a bad review...

But the 'staring at a blank screen to unlock the start button' bit reminded me of a couple of flash games that purposely messed with things like that.

The most relevant being:
http://armorgames.com/play/3955/upgrade-complete

And of course, on a slightly different tack:
http://armorgames.com/play/2893/achievement-unlocked

Heh.

It's fun when someone has implemented one of Yahtzee's throwaway comments...
Even (or perhaps because) it's intentional satire, they're actually still kind of fun.

lol nice review. I like Brink but this was still a good funny review :).

I really enjoy playing Brink.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Not entirely sure why some people hate on first-person platforming. Metroid Prime did it quite well, and Mirror's Edge wasn't bad at all (just occasionally very buggy).

It CAN be done right.

HankMan:
I guess Brink's attempt to rip-off TF2 (take a drink) just wasn't very
*puts on sunglasses*
Classy

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Well done :P

I'm still waiting for a subscribe to poster button. Is there one? One can never have too many puns.

HankMan:
I guess Brink's attempt to rip-off TF2 (take a drink) just wasn't very
*puts on sunglasses*
Classy

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I lulz'd.

This does create a paradox though. You don't usually see games like TF2 get ripped off, much less THIS badly. I mean, Mario Kart can get ripped off and no one would give a shit (but then again it's Mario). Then when shit like this happens, you really gotta start wondering what's happening to the games industry.

Anyone else a little surprised that Yahtzee went through an entire review about a game full of thousands of customization options in which exactly zero are female without making some form of joke about homoeroticism?

Maybe he deemed it too easy.

One thing that I see overlooked (and this review is no exception) is that there's actually two class systems to Brink - the "class" and the "body type". The body type determines health, weapon types, and maneuverability whereas the class determines how you interact with your teammates, enemies (outside of just them), and objectives. Honestly, this may be a bit too complicated for its own good, as the silhouette-shortcut that Team Fortress 2 uses simply doesn't work in Brink, and to determine someone's class you have to point your cursor at them and pay attention to the floating class symbol (which clutters up the already cluttered HUD even more). This makes it difficult to shoot whatever class that is necessary to complete the objective (i.e. defend it properly) or to shoot those damn medics who keep reviving everyone.

The only other major complaint I have with Brink is that I wish they did more with the parkour stuff in the maps. Usually it's used to climb and slide and that's about it but there's actually quite a bit of depth to the leaping around that I realized during training. (Some of which might be restricted to the light body type, though. I haven't really played around with that too much because I found a style of play that I enjoy and it's not possible to change body type during a game, which is actually very unfortunate, now that I think about it.)

That isn't to say that Brink is bad. It's not. It's just not exceptional. And you need to play it with people because the bots are not adequate as teammates or enemies (and they do swing wildly from ineffectual to overpowering on a whim, which is very annoying). Also, don't watch the intro video and very much do the training (which is filled with training-only unlocks and helps to smooth over the very large learning curve).

Thanks for making a psychotic vacuum cleaner joke right after I saw Brad Jones' review of Oversexed Rugsuckers from Mars.

Thespian:
.... WHY MUST YOU NOT LIKE WHAT I LIKE YAHTZEE :(

Oh well. Fair enough review anyway.

... Just give Brink a chance peoples. PLEASE D:

Why? It's another multiplayer only shooter for the price of what a FPS would charge with a single player.

I have those already. BF2142. Team Fortress 2(take a shot). Counterstrike. DoD. All of these go for relativley cheap.

Hell. TF2? 10.00 USD on steam. Bam. Cheaper. Arguably less graphic intensive and a better color palette than brown grey and oh look some blue.

A multiplayer shooter with classes, yeah, that's totally a TF2 rip-off :'D

Did Yahtzee just review a (mostly) multiplayer game? That's the sign of the apocalypse!

How come parcouring doesn't work in the first person? Of course it does: it worked bloody well in "Mirror's Edge". But I do get where he's coming from. I played the PC version and Yahtzee probably played the console one. The controls in the PC version of "Mirror's Edge" were pin-point precise, something a mouse provides. You can't get that kind of precision out of a gamepad. "Mirror's Edge" punishes imprecision more than anything else. Also the close combat was simply amazing in that game, as Yahtzee would've said: "it flows". Probably the only FPS where close combat works.

Frankly I loved it: after all the bland "realistic" shooters "Mirror's Edge" was like a breath of fresh air. DICE weren't afraid of doing something different and for that I take off my hat.

"Brink" looks cool, but I heard it was released raw and unfinished. It's probably better to wait for the patch storm first.

CrawlingPastaHellion:
Did Yahtzee just review a (mostly) multiplayer game? That's the sign of the apocalypse!

How come parcouring doesn't work in the first person? Of course it does: it worked bloody well in "Mirror's Edge". But I do get where he's coming from. I played the PC version and Yahtzee probably played the console one. The controls in the PC version of "Mirror's Edge" were pin-point precise, something a mouse provides. You can't get that kind of precision out of a gamepad. And "Mirror's Edge" punishes imprecision more than anything else. And the close combat was simply amazing in that game, as Yahtzee would've said: "it flows". Probably the only FPS where close combat works.

Frankly I loved it: after all the bland "realistic" shooters "Mirror's Edge" was like a breath of fresh air. DICE weren't afraid of doing something different and for that I take off my hat.

"Brink" looks cool, but I heard it was released raw and unfinished. It's probably better to wait for the patch storm first.

Clearly you are not aware/did not see his review of Mirrors Edge. I liked it to, but yeah... platforming in first person view does not work as well as it might. The first person to try something is always the worst at it, as they say XP

Jesus, sounds like a grab-bag mess of "whatever somebody else did that seemed cool"

I dig me some Brink. I also dig me some Zero Punctuation. What's cool is that I can like both.

Looking forward to seeing what the future holds for this game. Meanwhile, I am loving the Operative and Soldier classes. Stems from nearly every other person on the internets wanting to be a Medic. Fear not death, especially when you can take a few of 'em out with you.

I bought this, and I regret the purchase. The much-hyped SMART system basically amounts to the "push A to vault object" system that the Call of Dutys and Gears of War has had, and that the Halos have bypassed by giving you a jump button. It's something like Mirror's Edge... when Faith was holding an assault rifle. Also, you can't get rid of the rifle.

The close-quarter maps make all the objectives a total clusterf**k, and the AI's are flat-out STUPID when they're on your team and only incrementally better for the enemy. It's just a huge pissoff to be relying on them to complete an objective, or relying on them to be your medic in case you try and complete an objective yourself.

Even worse than mentioned in the review is the fact that all your customizable gear can have its color changed. Player model isn't a reliable indicator of faction, color isn't working either, it's basically down to "do I get a display over this guy's head when I look at him" for team differentiation. Same for telling what class a player is on your team. Bad Company 2 has better class distinction despite everyone wearing modern camoflauge patterns. Go figure.

For all the hype, this game has been a MASSIVE letdown. STAY AWAY unless you're getting it for $20 or less. Or if you'll buy my copy from me.

randomfox:

CrawlingPastaHellion:

How come parcouring doesn't work in the first person? Of course it does: it worked bloody well in "Mirror's Edge". But I do get where he's coming from. I played the PC version and Yahtzee probably played the console one. The controls in the PC version of "Mirror's Edge" were pin-point precise, something a mouse provides. You can't get that kind of precision out of a gamepad. And "Mirror's Edge" punishes imprecision more than anything else. And the close combat was simply amazing in that game, as Yahtzee would've said: "it flows". Probably the only FPS where close combat works.

Clearly you are not aware/did not see his review of Mirrors Edge. I liked it to, but yeah... platforming in first person view does not work as well as it might. The first person to try something is always the worst at it, as they say XP

Oh, but I did see his review. But that doesn't even matter, since he summed it up in two or three words in his review of "Brink".

I think it worked well. Sue me. If they would've gone with the 3rd person view it would have been just a "Prince of Persia" knock-off. I think I fell in that series of games about as many times as I did in "Mirror's Edge". I didn't find it frustrating in neither: it's just how those games are.

Yahtzee clearly didn't play Shinobi. It was really bad in that regard: pitfalls were your worst enemies, controls weren't as sharp and it had an equivalent of a timer as well.

That is actually my point: as long as the game has great controls it doesn't really matter which view it uses. First person might even be the best one, since you don't need to adjust camera all the time (oh, the non-existent god, how I hate this. I hate bad auto-camera even more). One more thing: can you parcour in 3rd person in real life? I don't think so.

They should've just made it 3rd person there's enough damn FPS in the market right now. I really wanted to like this game but finding out the parkour isn't properly applied turned me away.

CrawlingPastaHellion:

randomfox:

CrawlingPastaHellion:

Oh, but I did see his review. But that doesn't even matter, since he summed it up in two or three words in his review of "Brink".

I think it worked well. Sue me. If they would've gone with the 3rd person view it would have been just a "Prince of Persia" knock-off. I think I fell in that series of games about as many times as I did in "Mirror's Edge". I didn't find it frustrating in neither: it's just how those games are.

Yahtzee clearly didn't play Shinobi. It was really bad in that regard: pitfalls were your worst enemies, controls weren't as sharp and it had an equivalent of a timer as well.

That is actually my point: as long as the game has great controls it doesn't really matter which view it uses. First person might even be the best one, since you don't need to adjust camera all the time (oh, the non-existent god, how I hate this. I hate bad auto-camera even more). One more thing: can you parcour in 3rd person in real life? I don't think so.

There are three kinds of people I hate in this world: people who can't admit any fault in things they like, people who assume others have or have not played a certain game with absolutely no evidence to support their claim, and people who think "realistic" games should be encouraged. You are all of those things. Congratulations.

Not found this game very appealing and this reinforces that feeling. Very funny though, wonder how many people actually got drunk watching this!

First off, well done sir. Long time fan, very well done. Second off, anyone else catch the really weird nike advertisement at time 3:39? Look on the wing of the butterfly. There is a friggin nike swoosh symbol! Why is there sneaky advertising in beautiful ZP? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Thespian:
.... WHY MUST YOU NOT LIKE WHAT I LIKE YAHTZEE :(

Oh well. Fair enough review anyway.

... Just give Brink a chance peoples. PLEASE D:

Yahtzee's review is exactly what I thought about the game. My friend got me into buying the game since I don't like that many of games he likes and vise-versa and really, the SMART movement is entertaining at times but I feel the game doesn't really make good use of it, or at least I haven't played to see how the Light class moves so I wouldn't know.Oh yah and the "you have to keep moving" is bullshit, I found myself just doing cover based shooting instead of running around because the Smart system is only useful was a Sprint function which isn't that good anyway.

The character customization is rather pointless, I found myself not giving a shit about how a character looked because the action was so fast I only noticed if a guy was wearing a helmet or if he wasn't. Not to mention it's not that free, all you get to do is make the same horse head in different colors, some different clothing as well. But really, Bethesda made another FPS that had much more satisfying customization then Brink, i.e. Fallout 3, I got Broken Steel the same day I got Brink and I pondered on that. In Fallout 3 you had distinct outfits, you had distinct hair styles, you had different skull anatomies, in Brink you don't have that.

The missions make you think each of them are different at first but in reality all of them are the same, blow up/capture then escort. The story is a joke, the cut scenes don't build up anything and I don't remember anyone's name, hell I doubt anyone had a name in the first place.

Lastly the levels, rather pathetic level cap, at 20? You can get to Level 5 in a few missions , sure later on it takes more time to level up true for every game, but say AC Brotherhood had a level cap at 50, and not every skill is in the levels and you had separate challenges you had to do, like saying kill someone with a particular skill or escape under a condition etc., in Brink you don't have this, in comparison a game like Fallout 3 it also has a level cap of 20 which you can get raised to 30 if you have Broken Steel, each level brings boosts that let you get into certain parts of the game, get you better at using guns, get special perks like eating people or having a guy help you out in VATS, Brink has none of this, just skills like reloading while you're running or noticing someone aiming their iron sights at you.

Although I'm rather mystified why Yahtzee didn't mention the Operative class, that one would've been different.

I'm just disappointed the SMART system was so heavily advertised and showed promise but ultimately is just a side gimmick thrown into the mix. I suppose they thought it would be more interesting than saying "like TF2 but not!"...but ah sadface

For people brilliantly yelling "It's was developed by Splash Damage Yahtzee!" Just remember, he was talking about player visual customization when he mentioned Bethesda. This is the kind of thing that probably does land on the publisher. It's simply a marketing style gimmick, not gameplay. That type of thing is often driven by the publisher of the game demanding a certain style for marketing reasons. He could have mentioned both, but if you had to choose which one drove the player visual customization, it would be more logical to pin that on the publisher and not the developer. The publisher does drive those types of decisions in most cases, and the developer implements them.

randomfox:

CrawlingPastaHellion:

randomfox:

There are three kinds of people I hate in this world: people who can't admit any fault in things they like, people who assume others have or have not played a certain game with absolutely no evidence to support their claim, and people who think "realistic" games should be encouraged. You are all of those things. Congratulations.

Boy, I don't even need an excuse to hate your sorry ass.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here