Trailers: Minecraft 1.6 Update

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Minecraft 1.6 Update

Get lost in Minecraft or craft yourself a map instead.

Watch Video

A map!?
WOW!

Oh wait, I've seen things like this before.....15 years ago.

Handy! Not really all that exspansive though =/

Truthfully, I'm more excited for the Hatches than the Map, but they don't show up here at all.

WILSON!!! WILSON!!!

Seriously though, this is gonna be awesome. I'm going to enjoy just going out to fill up the map so I can have a top-down idea of what the landscape is like.

TB_Infidel:
A map!?
WOW!

Nice, it amused me anyway.

I'm a little bit curious why a somewhat mediocre title is getting a trailer for a patch that adds maps. I mean really... is this actually a development worth discussing at all? Let alone a development worth making a video about.

Whatever keeps those crazy Minecraft fans happy and pouring their life and effort into a time sink though I guess.

Wait... Isn't this the exact same video shown in the escapist right here, which was posted not too long ago?

I heard he is going to make hatches and that speed boosting rails will go faster... how exciting. =)

webby:
I'm a little bit curious why a somewhat mediocre title is getting a trailer for a patch that adds maps. I mean really... is this actually a development worth discussing at all? Let alone a development worth making a video about.

Whatever keeps those crazy Minecraft fans happy and pouring their life and effort into a time sink though I guess.

A time sink? You mean like posting on a forum?

And if your response is "Posting that was worthwhile," then you've made my point for me.

webby:
[quote="TB_Infidel" post="6.286670.11308568"]

Although I really do like Minecraft, it does seem a bit redundant for such an update to get a news post... maybe its just a slow news day.. =P

what i want notch to add is a friendlist, and a player invite to "single Player" maps. because im sure so many of us have built huge structures and everything, but we dont want to open them to griefers, yet want others to either help or admire our work.

Meanmoose:

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/5775170768/the-changelist-for-1-6

It's mostly fixes, but don't judge an entire update off one video.

TB_Infidel:
A map!?
WOW!

Oh come now. Are you still bitter?

Anyways, with that attitude, you can't get excited about anything game-related these days.

lacktheknack:

Meanmoose:

It's mostly fixes, but don't judge an entire update off one video.

I am trembling in excitment for the Nether in SMP, that is a big deal for the server I'm on. Maps will be handy, I won't have to keep hassling the server owner to cartograph our world. Plus Exploring is my favorite part of Minecraft.

lacktheknack:

TB_Infidel:
A map!?
WOW!

Anyways, with that attitude, you can't get excited about anything game-related these days.

A whole new patch version and video for a map.......really?
Can you not see how that is only an achievement for a kid making his first game yet alone a company sitting on a throne of cash?

Seriously, what is there to talk about? Maps have been around for years and I am surprised this was not already in it, so how does it warrant a trailer and a thread dedicated to it? Maybe a "Congratulations for turning up with a map. You maybe 15 years late but at least you got here..." ???

ShadowKatt:
WILSON!!! WILSON!!!

Seriously though, this is gonna be awesome. I'm going to enjoy just going out to fill up the map so I can have a top-down idea of what the landscape is like.

You're joking right?

Why don't you just get google maps, layer on top of it a blank canvas and then erase that layer on paint with a 2 pixel brush? I actually can't see the difference.

TB_Infidel:

lacktheknack:

TB_Infidel:
A map!?
WOW!

Can you not see how that is only an achievement for a kid making his first game yet alone a company sitting on a throne of cash?

Seriously, what is there to talk about? Maps have been around for years and I am surprised this was not already in it, so how does it warrant a trailer and a thread dedicated to it? Maybe a "Congratulations for turning up with a map. You maybe 15 years late but at least you got here..." ???

Learn to read other posts.

WaffleCopters:
what i want notch to add is a friendlist, and a player invite to "single Player" maps. because im sure so many of us have built huge structures and everything, but we dont want to open them to griefers, yet want others to either help or admire our work.

I call it: Hamachi.

OT: About time, really. The bug fixes, I mean. Oh well, maps! Hatches! More bugs!

lacktheknack:

TB_Infidel:

lacktheknack:

Why would I have read that? rofl

Either way - 6 additions, a few changes, and about 95% bug fixes....
Again, is this really worth a video? I don't think so.

TB_Infidel:

lacktheknack:

TB_Infidel:

Why would I have read that? rofl

Either way - 6 additions, a few changes, and about 95% bug fixes....
Again, is this really worth a video? I don't think so.

Considering how much you hate Minecraft (I remember March Mayhem), you probably shouldn't seek out Minecraft threads, or chastise the Minecraft related content. You will lose.

Also, you would have seen that if you bothered to read one post above the one you quoted earlier.

so this is what he was doing instead of releasing the patch earlier?

TB_Infidel:

lacktheknack:

TB_Infidel:
A map!?
WOW!

I assume by "You maybe 15 years late but at least you got here..." that you mean he is 15 years behind the industry of adding maps in his game? Even though this game has not been in development for 15 years? Oh well, I guess Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 is about 20 years late of adding guns to its game, but at least they got there...

Seems odd if you obviously hate Minecraft so much for you to come to a Minecraft thread and whine about it. This patch adds some nice new things to play with, and fixes a ton of bugs.

Movie was cute, but it is more for fans as a tidbit than anything substantial. I have been playing on the escapcraft server for a long while now. First it was wolves then weather and now maps.
Wolves were a fad until players found out they were annoying and a nuisance when they bumped you off things.
The rain (initially) came and never went away, it was loud and annoying (and shortly afterwards nerfed by server admin at request of the players)
And now maps, which I predict to be also a flop for MP servers. Good for single player, but not much else.

Ever since Notch has said he is moving on to making "the next Minecraft" these updates have been abysmally low on content, long overdue on bug fixes, and few and far between in general.

At least the money from that deal with Sony got his attention back for the time being.

B-but, what if I die... What happens to my map T____T

The thing that bugs me about this patch is the loss of Water Elevators and Dual Minecart Boosters. Most of my world runs on the Dual Booster, so that's gonna be a pain in the ass. Also, every patch breaks my mods, and I use quite a few.

i want the multiplayer to work rightly my self and my mates cant get a sever running we can get it to work but no one can log in

I'm looking forward to this cos it looks like one step closer to the finished game. Yay! Mapping will be great (stop me getting lost all the time when I go expoloring) but I'm liking the look of foliage. Does this mean we're getting more crops?

antipunt:
B-but, what if I die... What happens to my map T____T

You make a new one, and you LIKE IT. >:T

No seriously, I'm guessing they'll make you go through all the trouble for a new one, so watch out for that lava! o:

starhaven:
i want the multiplayer to work rightly my self and my mates cant get a sever running we can get it to work but no one can log in

You probably have to open the port on your router that the server uses, and make sure it's forwarding to your 'server' machine.
By default, that's port 25565.

Then, of course, all other players have to connect to your network's external IP, not the machine's internal IP.

After doing both of those, I can't see why it wouldn't work. I just set one up this weekend, running on an old crappy linux machine. Runs like a dream. Well...a dream on an old crappy linux machine. It won't hold more then 4 or 5 people comfortably, but he's just for my few friends who play Minecraft, not for everyone.

Kontar:

I assume by "You maybe 15 years late but at least you got here..." that you mean he is 15 years behind the industry of adding maps in his game? Even though this game has not been in development for 15 years? Oh well, I guess Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 is about 20 years late of adding guns to its game, but at least they got there...

Seems odd if you obviously hate Minecraft so much for you to come to a Minecraft thread and whine about it. This patch adds some nice new things to play with, and fixes a ton of bugs.

Yes - 15 years behind the industry.
Your comparison of MW3 though is dire because MW3 is not selling itself on going ' HEY GUYZ WE JUST ADDED GUNZ LOL!', where as MC is advertising itself on adding maps.

My point is why is there a video and thread about something which is as impressive as a school kids project? Does it actually warrant a thread or just the escapist bowing to hardcore fans?

lacktheknack:
Considering how much you hate Minecraft (I remember March Mayhem), you probably shouldn't seek out Minecraft threads, or chastise the Minecraft related content. You will lose.

Also, you would have seen that if you bothered to read one post above the one you quoted earlier.

Nice way to avoid my point.
Does adding a map into a game warrant an entire video?
Yes or no?

Yes! Maps! Finally I can keep my fires going, nothing quite like it.

Oh yeah, I remember reading up on these changes a week ago, I'll need to update that.

This kind of thing's to be expected, it's a beta for goodness' sake. What you're seeing here is a real beta test as opposed to those release client tests that EA allows access to. This is about par for the course in software development really, add new features one at a time to see if they break the program, if you add fifty new features on top of each other and one breaks you then have the fun-fun-fun of working out which it is!

Semudara:

webby:

A time sink? You mean like posting on a forum?

And if your response is "Posting that was worthwhile," then you've made my point for me.

Posting that was worthwhi... Oh you and your tactical genius, I see what you did there, by stating the obvious comeback and claiming that using it would be "proving your point" you have actively prevented me from using it! Wow that was crafty! Or should I say... MineCrafty...

Let's be clear here, I have no issue with MineCraft but comparing it to participating in a forum which takes a few minutes a day is spurious to say the least. Also, yes, all forms of entertainment could be considered a "time sink" but would you really class reading Dosteyevsky as "wasting time"?

To clarify my opinion of a time sink, it is anything that has no definable end. Regardless of how many hours you pour into its gaping maw you haven't affected your completion rate in the slightest. To that end, MineCraft is the very definition of a time sink.

Also, only recently adding maps is a shocking series of events and having to carry it around in front of you so it's all you can see is terrible design.

TB_Infidel:

Kontar:

Yes - 15 years behind the industry.
Your comparison of MW3 though is dire because MW3 is not selling itself on going ' HEY GUYZ WE JUST ADDED GUNZ LOL!', where as MC is advertising itself on adding maps.

My point is why is there a video and thread about something which is as impressive as a school kids project? Does it actually warrant a thread or just the escapist bowing to hardcore fans?

lacktheknack:

Nice way to avoid my point.
Does adding a map into a game warrant an entire video?
Yes or no?

Considering that it's not "advertising itself on it", but Notch simply said "All right, I'm programming maps now" and then the fans got excited, and considering that getting lost was an absolute bitch before... sure, why not. It's their series, they can make videos on whatever interests them.

As to the Escapist bowing to the hardcore fans... The Escapist ARE hardcore fans, just in case you missed the entire issue focused entirely on Minecraft. This isn't an issue of The Escapist doing something out of character and irrelevant, this is simply an issue of YOU being an anti-fan. You're the odd one out.

If this really bothers you to the point that you feel the need to protest threads on it instead of just leaving it alone, consider trying different sites.

NameIsRobertPaulson:
The thing that bugs me about this patch is the loss of Water Elevators and Dual Minecart Boosters. Most of my world runs on the Dual Booster, so that's gonna be a pain in the ass. Also, every patch breaks my mods, and I use quite a few.

Mod compatibility is going to be properly implemented... at some point. I don't know when.

BUT WHAT A GLORIOUS DAY THAT WILL BE, AMRITE?

TB_Infidel:
A map!?
WOW!

i think that was the joke. I enjoyed this silly trailer.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here