Trailers: Frozen Synapse

Frozen Synapse

X-Com meets Rainbow Six in Tron for Mode 7's indie tactical strategy game Frozen Synapse.

Watch Video

Seems...interesting. Is there a demo or something? I'd hate to buy something then not care for it...

However...mentioning X-Com is never a good thing around me. So many bad memories. "Oh look, one of the aliens thinks that he can hurt my Commander with a widdle Sonic Pistol, what with his uber gear. Go right ahead! I'll even give you a free shot." -Double Critical Hit, Commander dies- "SON OF A FUUUUUUUUU-"

Isn't that more of a teaser? Or was that seriously the whole game right there?

Not that that's automatically a bad thing; I just usually associate "trailer" with something a little more substantial. This doesn't really tell me anything about the game.

I thought I got bugged at first, 16 seconds then BAM! Founder's Club ad popped on!

That is not a trailer. That is a teaser. I still know literally nothing about this game. The stupid ad I watched was longer and more informative.

Andronicus:
Isn't that more of a teaser? Or was that seriously the whole game right there?

Not that that's automatically a bad thing; I just usually associate "trailer" with something a little more substantial. This doesn't really tell me anything about the game.

chemicalfire:
I thought I got bugged at first, 16 seconds then BAM! Founder's Club ad popped on!

EvilPicnic:
That is not a trailer. That is a teaser. I still know literally nothing about this game. The stupid ad I watched was longer and more informative.

Sorry about that. Somewhere between me leaving the office and getting home our system ate 3 min of that video, it was playing fine when I left. The whole thing should be playing now though.

Awesome! Thanks for the fix (and as such, I got my fix)!

X-Com ? I see nothing here that even remotely looks like it .. Im thinking Yuk.. but thats just me as im Waiting for Diablo 3 Next year :D

I've been playing in the beta for a few months now and, trust me people, this game is great.

Looks like something I can play on Kongregate. Looks quite generic tbh.

The game is great, but the video doesn't really show how the game is played.

This is turn-based. You plan what your squad will do the next 5 seconds or so. Then you come come back to a planning phase for the next turn, etc.
The planning tool is nicely done, easy to use, and allows you to simulate the movements of your enemies, and simulate the outcome of your strategy. Then you submit your plan and pray.

Such gameplay, btw, allows for a "play by mail" system. When you play against someone else, your game is stored on the server. You can close any moment and continue it later (you can receive notifications by mail that your opponent posted a new turn).

Games are very short, usually 5 turns, so it makes it great for a quick game before doing something else, as well :)

Pre-ordered, in the Beta. It's awesome.

And not just because I get a small cameo ;)

How is the gameplay like X-Com? The gameplay looks like a 2d top down shooter that can be made in flash.

Vapus:
X-Com ? I see nothing here that even remotely looks like it .. Im thinking Yuk.. but thats just me as im Waiting for Diablo 3 Next year :D

Moromillas:
How is the gameplay like X-Com? The gameplay looks like a 2d top down shooter that can be made in flash.

If you remember the original Laser Squad, you'd set up turns with Action Points. This basically allows you to set your action points first and then run the turn so you get 5 seconds of movement (with your character reacting to changes in the environment due to his standing orders).

Instead of it being Turn followed by a Turn, both sides set up their Turn and then it plays them simultaneously.

The_root_of_all_evil:
Pre-ordered, in the Beta. It's awesome.

This game is 5 shades of awesome.
And I'm saying that even though Root here whooped my ass twice!

It's like the original Rainbow Six planning stage mixed with chess and X-Com. I freaking love this game. You can play multiple games at once, so you aren't sitting there waiting for one slow guy to make his move. Plus, you can even play with people who are offline, by setting up what is essentially 'play by email' system, where they email you when the next turn is ready!

Seriously, this game is just awesome.
It's a little pricey at $25 US, but since you get TWO copies of the game with one purchase, I just split the cost with a friend.
Totally worth it.

Enjoy Strategy? Enjoy Tactics? Don't have a beefy machine? Or even if you do?
Get this game.

Baby Tea:

*whistles innocently*

Got completely slaughtered on the next round though. I prefer sneaky to scorched earth gameplay.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Baby Tea:

*whistles innocently*

Got completely slaughtered on the next round though. I prefer sneaky to scorched earth gameplay.

YOU UPLOADED IT?!
That's a low blow.

Ahh well, I'll have to just make you pay for it NEXT time we play!
Best 3 out of 5, remember!

The_root_of_all_evil:

Vapus:

Moromillas:

If you remember the original Laser Squad, you'd set up turns with Action Points. This basically allows you to set your action points first and then run the turn so you get 5 seconds of movement (with your character reacting to changes in the environment due to his standing orders).

Instead of it being Turn followed by a Turn, both sides set up their Turn and then it plays them simultaneously.

It is too.
Found some gameplay on youtube.

Baby Tea:

YOU UPLOADED IT?!
That's a low blow.

I just wanted to see how well it worked. I'll upload the match where you decimate me as well.

Ahh well, I'll have to just make you pay for it NEXT time we play!
Best 3 out of 5, remember!

Bring it :)

I've fallen in love with this game. It's amazing.

Ya I also have the beta for this game and its a lot of fun. Also the soundtrack is awsome :)

One thing this does look like is Subversion, the game that Introversion Software have had in development for a while now. Looks interesting though.
http://www.introversion.co.uk/subversion/

Basically awesome. Maybe a little steep at $25 ($20 now) but you get 2 copies so split the cost with a friend and its well worth it.

best soundtrack of the year

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here