Trailers: Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale Launch

Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale Launch

Create your character and fight Rezlus the Zhent in Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale.

Watch Video

I downloaded this to try it from Xbox Live Arcade: I'm not paying to unlock the full version and that's for sure. If you play D&D and try this you will be sadly disappointed. It's a thin veneer of Dungeons and Dragons over a realllllly mediocre dungeon crawler from all I got out of the demo.

"How D&D is supposed to be played". That means that all these years I've been playing D&D the wrong way? Good thing this hack and slash game will show me exactly what D&D is about. Sheesh.

i played the trail adn the only feeling i had was meh....
beleive, i want to enjoy the game, but first of all, the character models are damn ugly, normaly i wouldn't mind, but now...

its just a dungeon crawler hack and slash, and from what i saw not one that is really deep qua character/abilities custamation.

So it's like NWN but without all the good features. Yeah.. I'm gonna pass.
Got enough of these games, all I want is a good 3.5e. Is that too much to ask?

This looks painfully mediocre.

jonyboy13:

The reason it's a hack and slash is because those sell. D&D rules don't and people are unwilling to learn them, because they either view them as too nerdy (the douche bag way of life) or frightened by the technicalities (dice rolls, armor class, thac0 (although that isn't used anymore), number of attacks per round, spell casting mechanics, the massive number of skills etc etc).

I would die for a 3.5e game done properly *looking at nwn2 (although motb was fine)*, and no 4e crap please. It won't happen though, because it won't sell.

Tragedy's Rebellion:

jonyboy13:

The reason it's a hack and slash is because those sell. D&D rules don't and people are unwilling to learn them, because they either view them as too nerdy (the douche bag way of life) or frightened by the technicalities (dice rolls, armor class, thac0 (although that isn't used anymore), number of attacks per round, spell casting mechanics, the massive number of skills etc etc).

I would die for a 3.5e game done properly *looking at nwn2 (although motb was fine)*, and no 4e crap please. It won't happen though, because it won't sell.

Well, D&D 3.5 rules aren't that hard... The learning curve in NWN2 is quite simple and you don't need to calculate anything. People just view it complicated because of the pen and paper game. If it wasn't based on that it would just be called a unique battle system.

I really doubt that 4e would sell...
MOTB was good for me only after I hacked and removed the stupid soul eater bar. It was a horrible mechanic<<"

Of course a 3.5 game won't sell, 3.5 doesn't make for fun video games.

jonyboy13:

Tragedy's Rebellion:

jonyboy13:

Well, D&D 3.5 rules aren't that hard... The learning curve in NWN2 is quite simple and you don't need to calculate anything. People just view it complicated because of the pen and paper game. If it wasn't based on that it would just be called a unique battle system.

MOTB was good for me only after I hacked and removed the stupid soul eater bar. It was a horrible mechanic<<"

Who cares about NWN2? What about NWN1. It was great, and it is definatly easy, since I played alot on NWN before I actually played real DnD. Ive been itching to play it again, especcially now that I will actually know what all the numbers mean.

As for Daggerdale, ofcourse no XBLA is gonna actually reconstruct DnD. I dont think the game is so bad (from the demo). Its an arcade game that is essentially intended for a simplified action Dungeon Run. Some people like that. There was a game just like this that was on the origional Xbox. It was fun. (though you played as the Player Guide heros, Rydar, Liddi, Tordek, and Mialie)

kyosai7:

Exactly.

It doesn't translate well into a video game. It comes out at once both over complicated and too simplistic. For people not up on the rules it's terribly bewildering what's happening, while simultaneously the complexity of the numbers behind the scenes pales in comparison to your usual RPG, leaving it feeling clunky and basic.

Plus, who likes missing with your attacks and spells that much?

Wait, wait..."roll your character"? Aren't you limited to the four classes/race options they give you? That's not exactly the kind of thing I think of when I hear "roll your character".

Jumwa:

kyosai7:

Exactly.

It doesn't translate well into a video game. It comes out at once both over complicated and too simplistic. For people not up on the rules it's terribly bewildering what's happening, while simultaneously the complexity of the numbers behind the scenes pales in comparison to your usual RPG, leaving it feeling clunky and basic.

Plus, who likes missing with your attacks and spells that much?

Exactly. Although I'll totally admit I liked Neverwinter Nights. NEver tried 2, but I think that's the best RPG We'll ever get based on 3.5.

Forgotten Realms Demon Stone was also a good hack n slash, if only I could get past That spider boss in Chult...

This is part of what I love about 4e, though. For a 3.5 video game, you REALLY have to strip down the rules. Not so with 4e. It seems to me like a really quick and easy transfer.

kyosai7:

Although I'll totally admit I liked Neverwinter Nights. NEver tried 2, but I think that's the best RPG We'll ever get based on 3.5.

Neverwinter Nights 2 was unfortunately a horrible, buggy mess. The game was so awfully made that even the registration keys were often incorrect. It took myself and three of my friends days of messing with customer service or resorting to piracy to try and get our legitimate, store bought copies to even install, because the registration keys were messed up.

Once we did get in we found out that the game itself was no better.

And this isn't the launch version I'm talking about either, this was the gold edition bundled with expansions, where basic, game-breaking bugs should've been worked out.

For the first time ever, an RPG trailer for a modern game actually bored me to the point that other RPG's seem boring now.

Needless to say, I'll be passing on this.

The way D&D was "meant to be played" is around a table with pencils and paper, a big screen for the DM to Peer over at you, a bunch of oddly shaped dice, and mugs filled with beer/soda.

kyosai7:

This is part of what I love about 4e, though. For a 3.5 video game, you REALLY have to strip down the rules. Not so with 4e. It seems to me like a really quick and easy transfer.

Yeah, that is the thing that always confused me.
I got a real "made for videogames"-vibe from the 4. Edition, like they planned to turn it into games asap and make money this way.
And then they... just didnīt (I donīt think this game will have much to do with the actual rulesset).

So I can only conclude that this was in fact NOT their plan and they actually thought 4. Edition in itself was a good idea.
Which leaves Pathfinder as the most lucrative "new" game on the market and KOTOR as the most lucrative D&D game ever.
What a bunch of idiots.

Yeah, because Pathfinder is so awesome! I love how they fixed the disparity of power level between classes, where wizards aren't useless at level one and fighters and rogues aren't useless at level 20.

Oh, wait...

jonyboy13:

I actually removed the soul eater thing too, it was way too annoying. After that the game became awesome, go figure.

I'm still playing NWN1 and it's the best D&D based game ever, and with its "unique" graphics, it has a special charm which will probably be lost if they try to make a similar game with current gen graphics.

kyosai7:

BS. 3.0 was fine in IWD 2 and 3.5 was great in NWN 2. 3.5 is far better than 2nd. 2nd was so unbalanced. I loved the Goldbox games but lets be real in the Goldbox games and Baldur's Gate humans and dual classing was woefully unbalanced. 3.5 offered so many rich multiclass combos. I couldnt go back to and dont miss 2nd edition at all and 4th is just a god damn joke.

And what is with you guys removing the Soul Eater bar? That just reinforces the stereotype that RPG gamers are the punks of the industry. All you had to do was trade a sliver of XP and it would rejuvenate itself to 75% full. Considering how easy the game was trading xp was more of a balancing tool than anything.

Jumwa:

Neverwinter Nights 2 was unfortunately a horrible, buggy mess. The game was so awfully made that even the registration keys were often incorrect. It took myself and three of my friends days of messing with customer service or resorting to piracy to try and get our legitimate, store bought copies to even install, because the registration keys were messed up.

Once we did get in we found out that the game itself was no better.

And this isn't the launch version I'm talking about either, this was the gold edition bundled with expansions, where basic, game-breaking bugs should've been worked out.

I didnt run into them. The NWN 2 OC was kinda cheesy and cliche but at least it was playable. The NWN OC didnt even try. It was like little kids made it. It was the worst story Bioware has ever produced.

I bought Daggerdale, and aside from the bugs (which the devs know and are working on a patch for, in addition to adding in DLC later), it's a REALLY freaking fun game. Seriously, me and my friends spent all of our time after work playing it. I've got a lvl 4 Cleric and a lvl 5 Fighter. Totally worth the money, IMO.

Good GOD, do those dwarves look like crap or what?
I never thought I'd say this, but (gulp) I'm actually getting kind of bored of all these high-fantasy DnD-based (or carbon copies thereof) games.
So unless the story is REALLY, REALLY GOOD (and it's got co-op so I'm gonna throw out a tentative nope on that account), I'm probably not gonna play it.

Kaanyr Vhok:

I didnt run into them.

Then I envy you, because I wasted a hundred dollars on two copies (one for me, one for my partner) of the biggest pile of steaming garbage ever to have the guts to call itself a video game ever. I try never to exaggerate or use hyperbole in discussions, but NWN2 was the biggest ripoff and letdown I've ever experienced in gaming.

Also Vhok, what you did to Aliisza was wrong. You should be ashamed of yourself. ) :

well... how about: i told you so?

I will just keep on playing DDO

Jumwa:

Kaanyr Vhok:

I didnt run into them.

Then I envy you, because I wasted a hundred dollars on two copies (one for me, one for my partner) of the biggest pile of steaming garbage ever to have the guts to call itself a video game ever. I try never to exaggerate or use hyperbole in discussions, but NWN2 was the biggest ripoff and letdown I've ever experienced in gaming.

Also Vhok, what you did to Aliisza was wrong. You should be ashamed of yourself. ) :

Well get down!! After 1000 post as Kaanyr Vhok on this site and rpgcodex you are the first to know me. And you know? Aliisza is just a tool.

I may have lucked out waiting for further patches. I didnt buy the game until Nov of 09. I had a good time with the cheesy OC thought MotB was good but a tad overrated and actually loved SoZ. My guilty affection for the cheesy OC, and my love of SoZ puts NWN 2 close to or in my top five... hated the camera though.

Kaanyr Vhok:

Well get down!! After 1000 post as Kaanyr Vhok on this site and rpgcodex you are the first to know me. And you know? Aliisza is just a tool.

I may have lucked out waiting for further patches. I didnt buy the game until Nov of 09. I had a good time with the cheesy OC thought MotB was good but a tad overrated and actually loved SoZ. My guilty affection for the cheesy OC, and my love of SoZ puts NWN 2 close to or in my top five... hated the camera though.

But she was an awesome tool.

I had kinda hoped Vhok and Aliisza would make up and go do something awesome again, but noooooo. So sad.

And I can't comment on NWN2's story at all, because I just couldn't play it enough to experience much story due to the overwhelming storm of bugs. I know it set itself up for a lot of the old tropes in the beginning, but eh, most games do that.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here