Critical Miss: Gamer Science

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

ShadowsofHope:
While somewhat true, I would argue that taking out the "exacerbated, pre-existing" requirement out of the speech in the first square, and just putting in "is a root cause of" tends to be more in line with what most anti-gaming or overtly-critical-of-gaming studies put out overall. There is a very notable difference between "games cause this condition", and "games may help exacerbate a pre-existing condition".

How I see it is something like "games may help exacerbate a pre-existing condition" gets picked up by media sources and turned into a sensationalist news story("new study claims games cause violence!") both because there is profit involved and it seems so many people do not know the difference between correlation/causation and have no concept of degrees of magnitude. Gamers rage against the implication that is being made and it sets the stage for any study that talks about a link between video gaming and aggression to be reflexively dog-piled on because of previous portrayals. This phenomenon happens with other things as well.

I wuv this comic.

ALL forms of media and art CAN have a bad effect on certain people but if you play Devil May Cry and decide to set fire to your family as to emulate one of the characters, chances are your not all there in the first place. At least thats what I think.

*Shrug* true enough, but my personal experience with video games has made me less violent, and this is coming from the guy previously known as 'the local psycho'(just because I retaliated against bullies using my fists rather than my useless, useless words).

RedEyesBlackGamer:
Too true. Gamers are so quick to try to discredit or dismiss studies that come out in some way against their hobby, but herald pro-game studies as the truth. You can't have it both ways, guys.

True but it works the other way too.The anti-gaming brigade will jump on any negative study and herald it as proof that games are bad but are just as quick to dismiss any studies that show the positive effects gaming can have

Kakashi on crack:
Lol, basically

There's a happy medium, I just think neither scientific "side" of the arguement wants to look for it.

BTW: Most Stealth Bombers have at one point in their life played a video game with a joystick. Proof that video games can have a practical application ^^

Holy shit? Planes can play video games??? OH MY GOD WE'RE DOOMED, NO MR STEALTH BOMBER, DON'T TAKE MY GAMING RIG. NOT MY PCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC!!!!!!!!!! (gets blown up by stealthy missile launched by stealth bomber)

Apologies, it's 3AM where I am now. Anyway there will be good science and bad science, however what most people will believe is the science that reinforces the opinions or behaviour they already have, irrespective of the validity of the study's findings. This is true for almost all facets of humanity and is by no means limited to gaming. Hell even the scientific community has been known to quash studies that contradict common knowledge.

MetalDooley:

RedEyesBlackGamer:
Too true. Gamers are so quick to try to discredit or dismiss studies that come out in some way against their hobby, but herald pro-game studies as the truth. You can't have it both ways, guys.

True but it works the other way too.The anti-gaming brigade will jump on any negative study and herald it as proof that games are bad but are just as quick to dismiss any studies that show the positive effects gaming can have

Simple solution. We act better than them. Take the high road.

Grey Carter:
Critical Miss: Gamer Science

Slander versus Pander.

Read Full Article

Is that Cory playing the stereotypical gamer?

Too much of a good thing is always a bad thing...Sadly enough.
Anyway, great comic!

GaltarDude1138:
Well, what's sounds better, having millions of stupid, introverted people, or millions of people with laser vision and flight?

Maybe that's just wishful thinking...

But the people with laser vision and Flight will probably be the stupid introverted ones.

Yup, this is exactly how gamers see the world. Anything negative about gaming must be BS, while anything positive must be factual truth. Conclusion: gamers are just as irrational, illogical, fanatical, and close-minded as anyone else, if not more so.

My issue is with the scientists that say games will turn ordinary people into murderers and rapists, not the scientists who say that people with pre-existing mental conditions may be more likely to do such things, that's pretty damned obvious. To be fair though, it's the same of any medium, if you're a nut job and you watch a gory horror movie you're probably gonna get as many ideas from that as you would a gory horror game.

martyrdrebel27:
personally speaking, i think if i never had a game to come home to and slaughter legions of soldiers, or zombies, or cops, or... whatever i'm choosing to de-life that day, i most likely would've looked for that same satisfaction IRL. but, knowing that i DID have that optional, consequence-free outlet for my anger at my peers and elders, i chose that nearly every time. humans had war and violence and murder and rape and pillaging and destruction and genocide and justin bieber and all the other bad things in life WAAAY before tv's and videogames were around. this may be hard for some people to accept, but at the end of the day, we're all just ultra-violent war machines looking for a reason to push the button.

The way that's written makes me wonder if you once went on a murderous rampage but don't normally do so.

So...half of you think this comic is totally the truth, and half of you think it's total rubbish...

Is anyone else reminded of Inception?

I love this comic. I love it even more when it validates my opinion!

Kakashi on crack:
Lol, basically

There's a happy medium, I just think neither scientific "side" of the arguement wants to look for it.

BTW: Most Stealth Bombers have at one point in their life played a video game with a joystick. Proof that video games can have a practical application ^^

I think the happy medium in this case would be, "Games cause violence and laser vision".

Serious answer: take both sides seriously. Try to find flaws in all studies, question there methods, try to resolve the conflicting conclusions they draw. Most importantly, think about what it would mean if one side was right. Violent games cause violence? Time to make less violent games!

It could even be a good thing, if it gets us past the whole brown and grey (space) marine/soldier phase we're in.

BUT MY LASER VISION!? IT WAS A LIE!?

I've said this before, but I got flamed into the ground. You guys are braver than me.

Are you implying gamers only hear what they want to hear?

I think it's about the research that's done. The ones linking games to violence is more made in psychology, which is mostly non-science. The ones linking games to enhanced memory and learning is in neurobiology, which is actually science based. I'm more biased though since I'm in the biology field.

Well, there goes my social life...

at least the one on the left sounds more convincing then most of the study's I have seen.

Its funny because I think a caveat riddled conclusion like the one on the left is probably near the truth and would be largely accepted/ignored by the gaming public.

I gotta say, I find gaming a great way to chill out, but thats just me.

This what I think too I'm afraid

I thought all sorts of violence tends to make people more indifferent to more violence since you've been exposed to a small amount of it, giving you a foundation to take more in. It's like all emotions, they tend to build on itself and makes it easier to keep feeling that emotion.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

That's because the American Psychological Association has called BS on Anti-Gamer studies and refuses to take any of them seriously. When the highest authority in someone's profession says they're full of shit, I don't think I can take them seriously anymore.

hehehe so true...

lol sadly true in most cases, mind you it kind of even the score, most people ignore the studies saying the other side, it just means that people aren't unbiased. I don't really think those studies are BS, its just early years stuff, if parents would do their damned job and pay attention to what their kids are playing (its not that hard, all you have to do is look at the box) then they wouldn't be exposed to it until they are grounded adults and it wouldn't have an effect. But nobody likes to think about being responsible for your own action so its those damned murder simulators.

sorry, rant completed, I'm done now :)

This is so depressingly spot on :(

I think I need to play more video games then =D

The_root_of_all_evil:
So...half of you think this comic is totally the truth, and half of you think it's total rubbish...

What?
Half the people thought Inception was rubbish?

Funnily enough, I was thinking this.

Its especially true as I do it all the time.

TheMaddestHatter:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

That's because the American Psychological Association has called BS on Anti-Gamer studies and refuses to take any of them seriously. When the highest authority in someone's profession says they're full of shit, I don't think I can take them seriously anymore.

I'm going to need a source. Which studies were criticized, and when this was said.

Well personally I only believe studies that I faked myself.

HankMan:
I think I need to play more video games then =D

The_root_of_all_evil:

What?
Half the people thought Inception was rubbish?

The division between agreement and disagreement is recursive. As is the discussion on the division. As is the discussion on the discussion of the division...

Of course, the real problem here is that any legitimate study will be published in an academic journal and will never reach the mainstream media (gaming or otherwise) as anything more than a few out of context quotes chosen by a reporter unqualified to evaluate their significance. As such, no one outside the scientific community will realistically have the option to examine what experiment was actually performed, what data was collected and what conclusion was drawn in their entirety. I tend to scoff at most studies presented on either side when it comes to gaming because so few of them seem to have passed any sort of proper peer review.

Thank you for this comic. After I read this article and it's comments:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110382-Psychology-Study-Blames-Games-for-Aggressive-Behavior

it is good to see someone on the Escapist point out the hypocrisy. This is especially timely as it is difficult to call out Fox News on what it does if we do the same thing.

Also

TheMaddestHatter:

I just googled this and the closest that I found to a refutation is that the American Psychological Association does not believe that playing games equals violent behavior. However, it seems to be generally accepted by the APA that games do cause aggression and can become an addiction. Both are findings that could be taken as "anti-gamer". Do you have a link to this?

Edit: Ninja'ed and by someone with far more creativity.

Also "Anti-gamer" is often used on this site to mean "Anything that says that gaming can have negative side effects". That has as much validity as labeling me as "Anti-Driving" if I do a study that says "a lot of people die in car wrecks". While it may be an unpleasant fact, if we are to accept that Extra Credits is right in that gaming can elevate us mentally and spiritually, we also have to accept that gaming can also have negative side effects mentally and spiritually.

All I can say is, I like the guy's ID badge.
And only 2 frames today :(

It's not just gamers either, the entire population of the internet that isn't a religious fanatic is like this. I suppose it's always been a case of "pick the fact that you like the sound of".

Too true, it speaks more towards human beings than it does gamers, but it's the same thing.

I wish games could make me have flight and laser vision, that would be badass! No more driving around and I could fry the people that piss me off!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here