Trailers: Red Faction: Armageddon Sketch Mode

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Red Faction: Armageddon Sketch Mode

Play in the style of A-ha with the sketch mode of Red Faction: Armageddon.

Watch Video

That was surreal.

No really, That was weird.

*watches trailer*

*looks at copy of the original Red Faction*

... what the hell happened to this franchise?

Well.

That's just silly.

cool, and nice choice of music, fits the style very well

Vanguard1219:
*watches trailer*

Have you seen what TF originally was?

Just what I thought: Looks like Borderlands in even less colors.

STONKING GREAT TITS!

Seriously, I do like the look of this game... but I've no idea what to think of this particular trailer other than: "They're showing off the female character AND a quaint little pencil mode."

Of course there's a woman who makes sexy faces and shows her cleavage while wearing armour! Oh and then bangs the main character. Obviously this game isn't for the more... cultured tastes lol.

*goes home to play Witcher 2*

Tuqui:

Vanguard1219:
*watches trailer*

I think you misunderstand the angle I'm looking at this from. Let me try to explain.

The original Red Faction? It was the first shooter I had ever played online and the first game I ever bought for a computer way back at the tender age of ten. Sure, the story wasn't exactly a masterpiece of fiction, but it was still interesting and enjoyable. Toss in the GeoMOD engine and it's destructible terrain, which was flat-out unheard of at the time, and even vehicles to drive around long before Halo came along to make it an standard thing and you have a pretty decent game for the time it was made.

... and then Red Faction 2 came out, a game that completely ignored the first's story except for one very minor detail that was hardly touched on in the original that it used as a hand-wave to justify why, in-universe, your character essentially has superpowers. Hell, somehow the GeoMOD tech seemed to even take a step backward. The entire sequel seemed sub-par.

It was a game so bad that Volition had to completely ignore it in their canon, jump the story ahead three generation and completely change game genres to get past it. And then with this one, Armageddon, they time skip the story forward a few more generations and scrap the miner rebellion theme again to toss everyone underground where they have to fight aliens.

Red Faction is a franchise that, believe it or not, essentially is following the same pattern as Highlander, minus the fact that every entry in the franchise doesn't suck. The original game was, yes, pretty good, but it didn't leave itself open to a sequel. The entire plot dealt with the miners on Mars rebelling from the Ultor Corporation and, surprise, at the end they won. Myth arc over, happy endings all around, at least until someone looked over the sales charts and said "Hmm, this sold well. Let's make another one!"

... and thus Red Faction 2: "The Quickening" came out and every decision about what to do with the series' universe and story since then has only given me a headache out of confusion.

... wow, I did not plan for this to become the rant that it did. Sorry about that, folks.

Vanguard1219:

Tuqui:

Vanguard1219:
*watches trailer*

I think you misunderstand the angle I'm looking at this from. Let me try to explain.

The original Red Faction? It was the first shooter I had ever played online and the first game I ever bought for a computer way back at the tender age of ten. Sure, the story wasn't exactly a masterpiece of fiction, but it was still interesting and enjoyable. Toss in the GeoMOD engine and it's destructible terrain, which was flat-out unheard of at the time, and even vehicles to drive around long before Halo came along to make it an standard thing and you have a pretty decent game for the time it was made.

... and then Red Faction 2 came out, a game that completely ignored the first's story except for one very minor detail that was hardly touched on in the original that it used as a hand-wave to justify why, in-universe, your character essentially has superpowers. Hell, somehow the GeoMOD tech seemed to even take a step backward. The entire sequel seemed sub-par.

It was a game so bad that Volition had to completely ignore it in their canon, jump the story ahead three generation and completely change game genres to get past it. And then with this one, Armageddon, they time skip the story forward a few more generations and scrap the miner rebellion theme again to toss everyone underground where they have to fight aliens.

Red Faction is a franchise that, believe it or not, essentially is following the same pattern as Highlander, minus the fact that every entry in the franchise doesn't suck. The original game was, yes, pretty good, but it didn't leave itself open to a sequel. The entire plot dealt with the miners on Mars rebelling from the Ultor Corporation and, surprise, at the end they won. Myth arc over, happy endings all around, at least until someone looked over the sales charts and said "Hmm, this sold well. Let's make another one!"

... and thus Red Faction 2: The Quickening" came out and every decision about what to do with the series' universe and story since then has only given me a headache out of confusion.

... wow, I did not plan for this to become the rant that it did. Sorry about that, folks.

Nah, it's ok, I talked without knowing, but I mostly meant how things can change from one to another, being good or not any of the two.

Oh Kara, I'd take you home any day.

And my love for Red Faction Re-emerges ... and so does my nerdy love of the 80s!

Well that wasn't what I expected...

That video seemed like....A huge waste of time. I mean, "Whoo hoo, you guys made a color filter!" Not really worthy of it's own trailer, in my humble opinion.

I mean, I'm buying it because I loved "Guerrilla" and the demo is great fun, but this trailer was...Well, like I said, a waste of time.

qDreams:
cool, and nice choice of music, fits the style very well

I think the music was always going to be a given, considering what they were trying to do here...

So in guerrilla we are treated to an incredible game mechanic which allows us to destroy things, to literally smash them into tiny pieces with anything from a hammer to some sort of antimatter rifle thingy.

So what do we get in Armageddon? Oh a black and white filter so we can't really see what we're destroying/doing/shooting/fixing? Way to go, Volition! Oh and you put footage of it to Aha's "Take on me?" Well now isn't that clever!

Seriously, it's just gimmic after gimmic with these guys isn't it? Hopefully there'll be a good game under all this fluff and stuffing.

wow, doesnt anyone get the reference? Even with the wink?

It seems like only Proverbial Jon understood.

Also, dont complaint about extras, if you dont want them then its fine but atleast you have the option to choose. People complaint that games arent what they used to be with cheat codes that unlocked fun stuff and all that crap but then when a game does bring that stuff everyone just yells that it ruins the theme of the game.

Another extra

And since we are talking about Volition and A-ha I have to put this here

I have to say that I was really impressed by the graphics of the models - there was no clipping, and everything looked kinda solid and physical (at least when there was no filter, heh). Honestly, I'd say that those were some of the best models I've seen around for ages, mostly because there was no noticeable clipping. Weird how that had such an impact on me...

I don't know if I should be proud or ashamed that I wasent' expecting the Aha refrence.

Anywho, I just don't know. I liked Guerrilla,I liked the open world, I liked the distruction, but now it seems they're undoing everything that I liked about that game. No open world, the ability to REBUILD things, and then we get this wierd trailer that doesn't really show us anything but an extra.Doon't get me wrong I like extras, I just think they should't need they're own 3 minute trailer.

And then there is this new female charater. To be fair, I didn't play through the who story of Guerrilla yet, but atleast in that, the main female role (Sam) didn't have massive clevage and (To my knowlege) they never had an ass shot of her (0:38).

I'm really not into this. It my be cool in the end, but I seriously doubt it.

Well... um... that was weird.
But I love that song, great stuff.
And also, the sketch mode didn't really look that bad... it had a weird charm in it with the destructible environments.

Looks like this one will have more of a story. Which would have seemed scary before, but that trailer made it look pretty good. Not that it needs one, I would pay full price just for a couple new areas with some new shit to blow up :)

Its saying something that the protagonist looks less generic in black and white than he does in color.

Lets all be glad the sketch a style isn't forced on us. I may play on that mode as long as there are achievements for it though. Also just to play on it because it looks awesome.

I get the reference, i just don't think it looks anything like the original video...

Also, A-Ha have kept making albums, their 2005 album "Analogue" is fucking awesome! Sounds nothing like "Take on me" though, except for the great voice.

I'm not looking forward to this (hated RF:G), but I surely can appreciate how Volition always acts so fucking excited about everything they make. There are indie devs without that energy.

Also, Take on Me is naturally of great importance to them.

*explosion*

*cleavage*

*explosion*

*cleavage*

Arrg! Stop it!

Can this be the in-game music? I wanna blow up everything while listening to Ah-HA, Rick Astley, and Pseudo Echo.

I sang along and now my balls hurt...

I can't wait for that one to be released! I really wish I hadn't traded away Guerrilla now...

I heard that you had the ability to rebuild things, and I thought it would be lame. Then I downloaded the demo, and, turns out, its really freaking fun. You can rebuild your cover, destroyed stairways, heck, you can even rebuild stuff just to destroy it again. Teehee!

OT: This trailer was really random. It didn't even look professionally done...

Checked it out only because it had Aha. Aha still awesome!

Proverbial Jon:

I like this one a little better:

I've hated Red Faction ever since Red Faction 2, but this made me chuckle.

all rightey then, I'm guessing it was a slow day over at volition. I still have no idea why anyone would want to play with a visual filter on when all it does is mess with the game's visual design, but then again if Take on me plays while its on then all is forgiven

Vanguard1219:
*watches trailer*

Awesome did.

OT: I remember back in the day when you could use wireframe cheats. I like that it is sorta coming back.

Metalhandkerchief:
I've hated Red Faction ever since Red Faction 2, but this made me chuckle.

My exact thoughts. GeoMod was disqualified too easily. It would have made for great game-play for the sequals if it had evolved.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here