Trailers: Alice: Madness Returns: Combat

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Alice: Madness Returns: Combat

Alice battles her inner demons with horse heads, tea kettles, and butterflies.

Watch Video

I hope I'm not spoiling too much for myself. I placed my preorder long ago so it's not like I need to see anymore. I think I'll stop here.

Lewis Carroll... What have you unleashed?

I'm surprised by how low-blood it is, yet it still looks visceral. Good show!

Oooooh, can't wait. Hooray! And wow that second boss looks cool...

Hey, four-legged samurai bugs: I was just thinking about that.

But even with that, the game still looks rather generic.

Casual Shinji:

My first thought was "Jare jare, Dante, you look awfully teeny and girly".

I can haz now? Pwease.

Seems like they are switching the action/adventure formula of an FPS game to the action/adventure of the "God of War" or "Devil May Cry" series.

I'm not sure how if I'll like that transition, but I'll hold my opinion until I can play the game. It still looks good, so far.

Abedeus:

Casual Shinji:

It does seem like they're going for the straight up hack 'n slashy type gameplay here. I never played the first Alice, but I always figured it was more of an adventure game.

But my biggest issue with this game is how it seems to scream,"Look how dark and grim it is; It must be good!"

I couldn't be less in love with this if I tried.

Shame I can't find a place that allows me to pre-order this game for the PC.

Casual Shinji:

Abedeus:

Casual Shinji:

It does seem like they're going for the straight up hack 'n slashy type gameplay here. I never played the first Alice, but I always figured it was more of an adventure game.

But my biggest issue with this game is how it seems to scream,"Look how dark and grim it is; It must be good!"

It did have quite a lot of combat, but let's be fair, the combat was pretty damn awful. You played it for the story and setting, not for the fighting, heh.

OT: While I'm worried that they're trying to make it into an action game above all else, I'll reserve my judgement until I hear about the strong suit for the series: story.

It's like God of War in Wonderland!!

My face is that of sheer impatience and joy!

Kevlar Eater:
Shame I can't find a place that allows me to pre-order this game for the PC.

It will probably end up on steam or Impulse.

wow, this trailer is old. I can't believe how long it took for the escapist to put it up.

Catalyst6:

Casual Shinji:

Abedeus:

It did have quite a lot of combat, but let's be fair, the combat was pretty damn awful. You played it for the story and setting, not for the fighting, heh.

Exactly why I enjoyed the first thirty or so minutes of AG'sA, but didn't get much farther. I was surprised to see a GoW-style play, but it could end up working out.

I wish people would stop comparing it to God of War or DMC, it's NOTHING like those games. (well maybe a sliver but not as much as these people seem to say)

looks just like darksiders....

Art direction's pretty cool, combat's very DMC by the looks of things. Not gagging for it, but would be interested on a Steam sale should it come by :]

linkvegeta:
wow, this trailer is old. I can't believe how long it took for the escapist to put it up.

ummmm this trailer came out today. . .

Madness?

THIS

IS

WONDERLAND

I might have to brush up on Through The Looking Glass, but was there ever a Chinese/Japanese-esque chapter or characters in there? It feels familiar but I can't place it. Anyway, really looking foreward to this, the first American Mcgee's Alice was a masterpiece.

Guessing this is the console version here. The lack of PhysX really makes the game look dull. The gameplay looks fun, but the graphics look lacking here. I'll probably get the PC version after I'm done taking in the mighty steed that will be Duke Nukem Forever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAbzszifbJI

To give you an idea what I'm talking about.

danirax:
looks just like darksiders....

Duuuude! I thought I was the only one thinking that.

It looks pretty good, but I just don't want another hack&slash game.
I was pretty disappointed with Darksiders :/
...still, it IS Alice.

Am I the only one that just think that this looks a bit... rubbish? It just plain doesn't look good.

It actually looks more like the combat style from Legend of Zelda: Windwaker, namely the lock on, the sword play, and the way dodging is used.

So, it's the Legend of Zelda: Devil May Cry Edition. I have mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand I'm excited, I rather enjoy that type of game, and to have it set in the sheer madness that is Alice in Wonderland makes me fully believe that it will be a joy to play and experience. I look forward to the story and setting more than I have in a while, it just looks so very, delightfully insane.

On the other hand, I feel like I've played this before, already. Yes, part of the very reason I'm excited is part of the reason why I'm not. I'm funny like that. See, I'd been more excited to play this before seeing this video than I am now, simply because I was curious to see what cool game-play would be attached to this brilliant madness, but now, I feel a lot more "meh" about the game-play.

I suppose I'll wait and see how it all works out.

HankMan:

Madness?

THIS

IS

WONDERLAND

Nice, and yeah this game looks so awesome :D

Doesn't look as fun as I thought, but than again, the original Alice was pretty repetitive too. The charm was in the level design and overall insanity.

However, I'm still not a fan of the grey-and-brown color palette I see here.

Is it a dungeon crawl now? No platforming?

Well, that was... er... something. Something I'm reasonably sure wasn't Dante's Inferno. Reasonably so.

Gameplay looks floaty.

It looks like it will stay true to the original's aesthetic style, but it's the combat I'm worried about. I know that, in order for the game to be viable on consoles, it would have to change more than a few aspects, but I am unsure if the hack-and-slash way was the right call.

I guess nobody here picked up Bayonetta, because the butterflies are a complete rip from Pulley's Butterfly - an item in the game that allows you to dodge enemy attacks (hopefully an intentional nod to Kamiya). Speaking of which, the combat is very similar to Hideki Kamiya's guns and blades combinations. I'm hoping that the game has combat even remotely close the the flow of Bayonetta. Anyway, looking good so far.

Holy mackerel, that looks awesome! I am 100% buying this.
It looks like it will make me feel the same way Brutal Legend does. As in... WONDERFUL.

Looks pretty badass. Didn't play the last one, but perhaps I should.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here