Escapist Podcast: 004: The Witcher 2 & LA Noire

Pages 1 2 NEXT

004: The Witcher 2 & LA Noire

This week we discuss The Witcher 2 and LA Noire, plus: How much tutorial is too much - or too little?

Watch Video

Maybe i'm just missing something, but could someone tell me how to download this so i can listen to it on my ipod like all my other podcasts? An hour is a long time to sit near my computer and listen. I can't make it through this one either, sorry. If i could download it i would have taken it with me to work today.

I skipped the last podcast for that reason, but i love listening to interesting podcasts! If it isn't a download, could it become one?

Greg,they pretty much said it.You should've also tried out the easy difficulty.That's your tutorial.At one point the game gets amazingly easy with it and you switch back.If you die tho you'll understand why you died at that point.Also all the tips are in the journals so you can reread them there.If you had done all that instead of jumping in expecting a God of War the game would've rewarded you rather than punishing you.

Admitedly there's a few quests that are stupidly hard to figure out and actually required me to stop and think for a couple of hours.

intheweeds:
Maybe i'm just missing something, but could someone tell me how to download this so i can listen to it on my ipod like all my other podcasts? An hour is a long time to sit near my computer and listen. I can't make it through this one either, sorry. If i could download it i would have taken it with me to work today.

I skipped the last podcast for that reason, but i love listening to interesting podcasts! If it isn't a download, could it become one?

I have to second this. I listened to the first Podcast and found it to be very interesting but I don't have the time to sit by my computer listening for an hour. I would gladly listen if I could put it on my iPod and listen to it when I'm in the car like I do with every other Podcast I listen to.

Concerning L.A. Noire providing on-screen hints every single time.

I never really got into the whole rotating objects to investigate them, as some of the items required you turning it just so to get the clue. I think that on-screen reminder was there to make sure that players didn't turn, turn, turn... didn't get the zoom, so they'd put it down without getting the clue.

But overall the game does a fairly good job of hiding the fact that you're not allowed to fail in any meaningful way. While you might put the wrong man in jail...

This realization late in the game killed a lot of my enthusiasm for the interrogations.

As for Super Mario Bros. not requiring a manual. It was of an era when most games didn't need manuals, since it was very much in the arcade tradition. There are random games here and there which used non-standard controls (such as the 2600 port of Defender), which required you to have a manual to figure out basic controls. As you get into the Nintendo Power Era, you start running into games that are pretty much impossible to play unless you not only read the manual, but picked up the relevant Nintendo Power Magazine which shows you the secret spot that advances you to the third level.

dnose:

intheweeds:

I have to second this. I listened to the first Podcast and found it to be very interesting but I don't have the time to sit by my computer listening for an hour. I would gladly listen if I could put it on my iPod and listen to it when I'm in the car like I do with every other Podcast I listen to.

As they say towards the end of this one, if you join the Publisher's Club you can download them in MP3 format. I haven't myself yet, but I may do soon.

NO! NO NO NO NO NO! Not the Mail Song! O_O

OT: Nice show once again :-)

Half kittens used to be frowned upon!

Loved the trip down memory lane, where just entering the world WAS your tutorial. Games like Mario and Zelda...ah, fond memories. Incidentally, I still read the game manuals. Largely due to the fact that I feel at home in front of the TV playing video games as much as I am in my local libraries.

Now, to whom do I PM or email a question to since I believe I have an interesting question to pose for the Podcast crew?

Alfador_VII:

dnose:

intheweeds:

As they say towards the end of this one, if you join the Publisher's Club you can download them in MP3 format. I haven't myself yet, but I may do soon.

Ah. I see. I didn't realise that because I didn't listen to it. Another Podcast, of which I already listen to many, is not worth it for me to join the Publisher's Club. Thanks for the clarification though.

On the topic of nostalgia making games seem better. I've actually been testing this out over the years. It made me realize that Super Mario Bros games were never really any good, or rather that I never really enjoy them.
But I also find that a lot of games still hold up. For example, I recently played through the original Shadow Hearts which I last played in 2003. While that game certainly feels it's age and has some really apparent issues, I still had a lot of fun and enjoyed the story just as much as when I first played it.

Alfador_VII:

dnose:

intheweeds:

That's unacceptable. I have no problem with the Publisher's Club for everything else it has, but i don't need it. I shouldn't need it for an audio podcast download.

The market has already spoken on what it believes the value of an audio podcast download is: $0.

No one pays for podcasts.

I always read the manuals when I was installing the games. . . I miss them too :(
Elderscrolls games had cool manuals and of course CIV games.

intheweeds:

Alfador_VII:

dnose:

That's unacceptable. I have no problem with the Publisher's Club for everything else it has, but i don't need it. I shouldn't need it for an audio podcast download.

The market has already spoken on what it believes the value of an audio podcast download is: $0.

Completely agree with this. I'm not going to pay money to download a podcast and nor am I going to sit by my computer for an hour listening to something which....well I WANT to listen to but don't the capacity to sit by my computer for an hour.
Perhaps we should start some sort of campaign?

Good podcast. The Witcher 2 thing is interesting, I didn't feel dropped into a world without a tutorial though, nor did I feel that it was to hard (the first time I fought the Kayran I did get my ass handed to me though, hardest part of the game for me)..

But then I'm one of those people who sits there and presses every button on the keyboard to see what they do as soon as I gain control, even if I'm being rushed by a support character, yes it takes you away from the world a bit, but its much better than not knowing what your doing, or how to do something.

I miss the big manuals though, like my Fallout 2 manual, its like 200 pages of greatness.. both educational and entertaining.

CrazyCapnMorgan:
Now, to whom do I PM or email a question to since I believe I have an interesting question to pose for the Podcast crew?

podcast@escapistmag.com

akfg666:

intheweeds:

Alfador_VII:

Completely agree with this. I'm not going to pay money to download a podcast and nor am I going to sit by my computer for an hour listening to something which....well I WANT to listen to but don't the capacity to sit by my computer for an hour.

I have to say, I'm glad though for the guy above who mentioned the Publisher's Club thing towards the end. It is because i can't listen to the whole thing, that I didn't know that. That is awfully convenient! LET THE CAMPAIGN BEGIN! lol

Too much tutorial? Fallout 3. In fact, I nominate that game for worst tutorial ever.

Netrigan:
Concerning L.A. Noire providing on-screen hints every single time.

I never really got into the whole rotating objects to investigate them, as some of the items required you turning it just so to get the clue. I think that on-screen reminder was there to make sure that players didn't turn, turn, turn... didn't get the zoom, so they'd put it down without getting the clue.

But overall the game does a fairly good job of hiding the fact that you're not allowed to fail in any meaningful way. While you might put the wrong man in jail...

This realization late in the game killed a lot of my enthusiasm for the interrogations.

I agree about the interrogations.

As for the rest of the game though, I dunno. You can fail from what I played. When I first started, I suck at figuring out how to question people, and I was always getting statements at the end like "you could have gotten the whole story if you pressed _____ harder" or "you wouldn't have had to run around chasing that guy if you had been firmer with _____". Maybe that's not failing in the sense you were hoping to be able to fail in the game, but it seemed like a failure to me. About the crime scenes/clues, that bit always seemed like a point and click adventure game to me. Plus, you can turn off a lot of the little hints like the controller vibrate and the music. I started with them off, but actually put them back on because I quickly got sick of walking around mashing A in the hopes that I could look at something, only to find more worthless beer bottles.

First!

My question was first! Oooooh yeaaaah! Thanks for answering guys.

Great episode with lots of interesting insights.

The Witcher 2 learning:

Oh, that guy hit me with a sword and I died. Should probably avoid that in the future. *Learns dodging*

Oh, I couldn't dodge all those three guys and they killed me, I should probably find a way to withstand their attacks. *Learns blocking*

Oh, I couldn't block all those attacks so they killed me, I should probably learn to balance my blocking and my dodging. *Learns to manage the vigour stat.*

Voilą, you are now ready to finish the entire game with the perfect amount of difficulty.

Very nice, though it sort of felt a little flat to me for some reason. Maybe I'm just used to G4's Feedback, which is pretty much the same thing but with actual video of the discussion and more.. in your face personalities.

Either way, I must also say that I agree with it being silly to limit the audio only version to Pub Club members. It feels a little like bad DRM to me where the Pub Club members should rightfully be getting something more (like actual nicely edited video footage a la Feedback) but instead are just getting what everyone should get and the Freescapists are getting an inferior version.

akfg666:

intheweeds:

Alfador_VII:

While I don't agree a podcast HAS to be free I do question the appeal of a podcast that isn't portable. I'm not sure this uncomfortable medium is a net benefit.

Much of the LA Noir interrogation options they talk about, like the computer assuming certain parts of dialogue as "canon" even if you didn't do them are one of the highlights for me with Alpha Protocol. So much wrong with that game but when it works.... wow. The whole failure possibility is managed well in that the conversations will always drive the plot forward but perhaps you will have the information necessary to reveal a character's bio and affect the plot or save someone or not etc.

Maur DL:

akfg666:

intheweeds:

While I don't agree a podcast HAS to be free I do question the appeal of a podcast that isn't portable. I'm not sure this uncomfortable medium is a net benefit.

http://video2.themis-media.com/c83db8cc1e9376f431c9f9317e338507/mp3/escapist/escapist-podcast/91c5e991fe39a4698be8115fed176a67.mp3
Yeah, I just know my way around the web like that... :/

(Feel free to mod edit that link away, I re-read the rules before I used 5 seconds to dig it out, and I can't find anything against it. At least not explicitly. The content is already there for free, and you'll spot ads on your way to the forums anyway. Also, you can make the content completely flash-based, which makes downloading the mp3 completely impossible. You know, if that's your thing.)

I either do homework or play botmatches (FPS)/skirmish games (RTS) while listening to podcasts. Basically, I'm more lazy than you out-and-about people. :P

CrazyCapnMorgan:
Loved the trip down memory lane, where just entering the world WAS your tutorial. Games like Mario and Zelda...ah, fond memories. Incidentally, I still read the game manuals. Largely due to the fact that I feel at home in front of the TV playing video games as much as I am in my local libraries.

That would be podcast@escapistmag.com. :)

kurokenshi:
Half kittens used to be frowned upon!

I think it's time for a new motto.

Square Whales and Half Kittens for everyone.

Maur DL:

akfg666:

intheweeds:

I'm more concerned with the fact that when I click the podcast button, I get a wall of xml text. It might work better in not Google Chrome, I don't know.

Are you guys gonna have Yahtzee back on any time soon? I liked it when he and Mikey rambled on for a while about random shit.

Maybe the Character or the Noire puppets will come out next month as DLC

Woo I was quoted in the cast! Anyhow to anyone who cares flying in "Giant" was like playing lunar lander you have to consider how much thrust you want to waste going up, correcting course, and how much you need to land at a reasonable velocity. All the while people will shoot at you.

Hey! How come you guys can mention and promote drugs on your podcast, yet we get penalised for mentioning it!

Anyways, good Podcast, cheers guys :D

I really love listening to you guys talk for an hour. All i can say is thank god these podcasts came out after i had finished my exams cos otherwise my education would've really suffered for it!

The Escapist Staff:
004: The Witcher 2 & LA Noire

This week we discuss The Witcher 2 and LA Noire, plus: How much tutorial is too much - or too little?

Watch Video

Please listen from 38:39 to 38:52.
Do it more than once.

CHANGE THE MODERATION RULES!

I'm sick and tired of getting reprimanded by moderators for typing what I think

klasbo:

Maur DL:

akfg666:

http://video2.themis-media.com/c83db8cc1e9376f431c9f9317e338507/mp3/escapist/escapist-podcast/91c5e991fe39a4698be8115fed176a67.mp3
Yeah, I just know my way around the web like that... :/

(Feel free to mod edit that link away, I re-read the rules before I used 5 seconds to dig it out, and I can't find anything against it. At least not explicitly. The content is already there for free, and you'll spot ads on your way to the forums anyway. Also, you can make the content completely flash-based, which makes downloading the mp3 completely impossible. You know, if that's your thing.)

I either do homework or play botmatches (FPS)/skirmish games (RTS) while listening to podcasts. Basically, I'm more lazy than you out-and-about people. :P

Thanks. I wonder how I can do this myself for future reference?

I will take the Witcher 2's no tutorial (all the info you need is there btw... it just only triggers as you first do something) over too much tutorial any day.

Only time i found the tutorial of the Witcher 2 a pain is not telling me i needed quen to survive the dragon. I died twenty times there lol

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 49190)