Jimquisition: Too Cool To Be Cool

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

I don't think I've met a single person who actually takes Duke seriously. Gearbox definitely doesn't. I mean, come on, you can throw literal shit in the game. You can pick up turds and throw them. That may be the least serious game mechanic I've ever seen.

I liked the episode, but I can't help but disagree.
In my opinion, Duke isn't taken seriously.

He's so over the top macho that he IS a parody.

But that is just my opinion.

Throughout the whole first half I was constantly muttering "DanteDanteDanteDanteDanteDante". Almost cheered when he put the spotlight on the right character. But I would disagree that Duke is being played straight. The game being all about "his world" was misinterpreted here I feel. It's all about his ego, he plays everything straight because he honestly thinks he's that awesome, which makes him ironic because we know how dated he is.

I found episode amusing and seeing show getting better and better every week.
I loved the ending :P

On more serious things.
Sonic analysing and dante as example on parody coolness were great.
I was not able to phrase anything special about DN stuff since i find both agreeing and disagreeing sides right but i find nothing to complaing when
people do shows about own opinion on subject whether fact is truth or not.

I kind of thought that the muscle head, over the top, all singing, all dancing, all fucking, egomaniac being played straight WAS the joke...

While I do agree with Sonic (I haven't really touched any late Sonic-games though), you completely missed the point of Duke. Nonetheless, good episode. The series is getting better.

In all honesty, Duke Nukem Forever still portrays Duke far too over the top for him to be anything but a straight-out satire. And that's what makes the character cool. I mean, how seriously can you take a character who instead of a rechargable shield/health bar has an ego so strong that it protects him from damage and needs to be recharged from time to time? He's intended as a joke, and even if he wasn't, he'd still be funny because he's so ridiculous.

Also, Jim, I'm going to out-hipster you and say that your attempts on douchebaggery are far from subtle enough to actually be funny. It's like, so mainstream. Work on them, as they are now they just make me facepalm.

I always thought some of the best parody was when you are completely sure if the creators were actually being serious.

That said I quite like this video, one of the best of the series so far, IMHO.

Sonic's "attitude" was cool when it consisted of him getting bored if you were just standing still for too long and he started looking at the screen while tapping his foot impatiently. Once he got voice acting, it did get embarrassing. Need I say more?
(Jim's right, BTW. It's funnier if other characters point out how stupid that is instead of taking it seriously.)

The difference between Duke and Sonic though is that at least Duke Nukem Forever has a chance to be good and make the Duke franchise one worth continuing after so long.

emusega:
I think it's a little sad that you need to point out that your persona is meant in an ironic way. Not because you want to, but because people wouldn't get it.

Indeed. That zing right in the middle towards all those people who take the video persona to seriously was great.

CINN4M0N:
*snip*

If what you say is true, it's everyone else who is missing the point of Duke. Pretty much all of his fanbase does take him seriously and act like he's a great character. People parrot off "I've got balls of steel." and "I'm here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all outta gum." like they're scripture or something. People do treat Duke as an idol, so if you're sure that they aren't supposed to, then nearly everyone is missing the point.

Indeed, Jim. What kind of arrogant cock would say "Thank God for me"?

Meta.

Espsychologist:
Jim fails at funny again.

I agree whole heartedly. I believe there was even a poll that asked the escapist if they wanted to keep this feature, and the highest vote was "NO".

And here we are, so poll = petition, and no one takes internet petitions seriously.

I think he is just jealous of Duke Nukem...

don't agree, Duke is already a parity on himself, It's just that in his world he is a hero, so he is taken very seriously. If he was self deprecating, it would take away from what people love about that character. Duke is not an idiot, but he a shovanistic jackass who save the world, so everyone just roles with what he dose.

BTW the game has yet to come out, so we don't exactly know where the comedy will go.

A man who likes to get sucked off by 2 school girls? If we're talking legal here, then he isn't an Icon... he's a legend!

Besides, I think (as some above have pointed out) you're missing the point. It's not just the Duke who's a (supposed) parody, but the entire world of Duke Nukem. Everyone in the game follows duke like he's some sort of messiah, yet we as the observers see them worshipping a Macho moron. Compare to all those other games were you play as some sort of unstoppable badass who saves the world or kills enemies in legendary numbers, but at no point do you get recognition for it (Gears of War, Call of Duty [any "realistic" war game really] generic shooter A and generic shooter B). In Dukes world, the complete opposite happened and everyone reveres him as a living Deity. It's part of the parody.

The bad jokes are just an old aesthetic they carry over... in a sense it's almost parodying itself by doing so.

I don't mind Jim. I agree frequently, and disagree with him in reasonable ways the rest of the time. And I would agree with his idea about coolness...but seriously, you think that Duke Nukem is played straight? No, not a chance. The point was brought up about Pitchford saying that Duke was supposed to be taken seriously, but I believe I remember that statement, and that was not what Pitchford was saying. He was saying that the game you are playing is basically from the perspective of a loudmouthed, arrogant, testosterone overdosed, arrogant meathead, so naturally, that's how you, the player sees him. Your looking at the world through this egomaniacs eyes. But the player sees the satire...well, maybe Jim doesn't. And you know that's fine, I'm sure there's an interpretation I believe of something that is downright stupid, I won't fault Jim for missing one example of the obvious. But I do have to point out that what Jim is saying is hurt by the absence of irony and self-mocking is positively dripping irony and self-mocking out of every pore.

Of course, if Duke were being played straight, it would be a pretty terrible game, ill give you that.

::Edit:: it just occurred to me...Jim doesn't see the satire behind a person acting like an arrogant idiot in self-parody? The irony of that is almost enough to make me think that this entire episode is just an excersize in meta-humor. Maybe he does see the irony in Duke Nukem, and this is all just a clever joke.

I respect the show is getting better. Hell even this ep is not bad. I pretty much disagree with it, but doesnt make it bad.

I think what you have to consider about Duke is the epoch from which it came from. Back then it was social commentary. There was a distinct thread of emasculation and Duke to some degree stood to remind people of what masculine traits were. It did so by over exaggerating it, because part of the problem was that men had became too diminished as it was and far too long had been ignored.. Its sort of what culminated at the end of the 1990s with the film Fight Club, which was the testament of railing against emasculation.

This is a big reason why Duke nowadays seems so comical. Hell even in the 90s his over the top antics were in fact comical, but in this day and age there is no possibility it will play off to the same type of response. This is because society in the decade since the last installment has vastly changed. Specifically we are in a society that both accepts and applauds emasculation. Every day we come a step closer to the point when men and women are (at least mentally, though some guys are trying real hard to look like flat chested women for some reason) indistinguishable. In a society that cheers faux enlightenment and blind acceptance, Duke seems little more than an unevolved knuckle dragging troglodyte relic of a bygone age. Its a shame that people dont realize the point of Duke was to try to steer masculinity back onto the proper course and avoid exactly what society has since become.

Either that or we can stop trying to apply relevance and symbolism to video games, and take Duke for what he was always supposed to be... a caricature, and remember, ITS JUST A GAME!

ShadowKatt:
I agree whole heartedly. I believe there was even a poll that asked the escapist if they wanted to keep this feature, and the highest vote was "NO".

And here we are, so poll = petition, and no one takes internet petitions seriously.

Because a poll that not all viewers of the show will see and be able to vote in should be taken seriously, amirite? For example, I don't think I saw that poll. Where is it? I'd love to vote for keeping the show, because I've been enjoying it.

If you want it to go away, stop watching. Shows go away when they don't get enough views (I still miss you ENN [yes I know about Checkpoint already, no need for 50 people to quote this and link me kthx]), not when people who don't like it come together and complain. Watching it week after week to keep whining in the comments about how much you hate it is only helping keeping it alive because you're giving it more views.

Ya know, I think this is the point where I actually like his videos. Sure, they're somewhat trollish, and his attitude gets in the way, but it's a valid point to be made. And hell, whether you agree with it or not, at least it's something we don't hear most people talking about.

The 4th episode is where I didn't want to crush my skull in at the videos, because it started becoming more of a different view on lesser talked topics, rather than the same thing being ranted upon by everyone. You can't deny that at least the topics are new and interesting.

And as gamers, especially in the fight we're in now, sometimes having different perspectives like this give us an arguing point. Or at least someone to quote as different than us, because not all games are mindless kiddies killer simulators that will cause us to be rapists because we all think exactly the same

Wait, we're supposed to take Duke seriously? Huh?

Why would anyone take him seriously? I mean...your argument makes perfect sense, but I never took him seriously to begin with.

And I don't know about Sonic being more "lame" in Colors. I prefer the term "real". As in he's not a flawless superhero, he's the ADD ridden child-like totally-not-serious hero that we knew he always was. And that still makes him one of my favorite characters.

I feel as if his episodes are getting better.
His topics are more relevant and he actually has something to say unlike his first couple of episodes.

Fucks sake....you know Jim I might actually listen to what you say when you stop referencing yourself in every episode.

It's not funny, your not being self aware or clever, your just wasting your breath.

The subject matter and your opinions on them are not my biggest problem with your show. It's the fact that you are just completely fucking unfunny.

It's too painful to watch, this is the last time I am ever clicking the play button for a Jimquisition.

Compared to the other episodes, I liked this one far better. The obvious undertone of self-parody worked perfectly and I couldn't help but snicker at some of the comments.
Jim's... eh... unique style works really well here, underlining the (occasionally valid) points he makes.

If this series continues in the way that it's going, it'll end up being good. (I sense a hyperbole or possibly a bell curve here)

yesjam:
i think this series is leaps and bounds beyond what it was in the first few weeks.

I more-or-less agree with Jim, however, irrelevant 90s sonic in the 2010s? That's way too meta for Sonic's core demorgraphic.

this is still the first few weeks.

I don't see how duke nukem is played straight, the game isn't saying we should admire him, it's saying the whole world is stupid for following such a man. I honestly don't think duke is played straight, but whatever. I still don't think duke is a character that anyone would actively look up to.

As for sonic- what do you people expect? they're trying to reach the 8 year old market.

I agree, the forced coolness is getting old in this day and age. I loled at the self-targeted irony. And the calmer mood of the episode seems much more fitting to the series than the previous ranting.

I played Duke on N64 when I was just a kid, the world that duke lives in is ridiculous the whole thing seems pretty tongue-in-cheek to me. Duke's goal of 3d was to save babes, not the world just the good looking women.

I see the point Jim is making, that Duke while being this over the top character is taken seriously in his own world. but from the outside Duke's world looks just as ridiculous as it really is.

I agree with Sonic though, it's why the Ninja Turtles hasn't aged well since the 80's or 90's. but I've considered sonic dead since the 90's anyway.

viranimus:
I respect the show is getting better. Hell even this ep is not bad. I pretty much disagree with it, but doesnt make it bad.

I think what you have to consider about Duke is the epoch from which it came from. Back then it was social commentary. There was a distinct thread of emasculation and Duke to some degree stood to remind people of what masculine traits were. It did so by over exaggerating it, because part of the problem was that men had became too diminished as it was and far too long had been ignored.. Its sort of what culminated at the end of the 1990s with the film Fight Club, which was the testament of railing against emasculation.

This is a big reason why Duke nowadays seems so comical. Hell even in the 90s his over the top antics were in fact comical, but in this day and age there is no possibility it will play off to the same type of response. This is because society in the decade since the last installment has vastly changed. Specifically we are in a society that both accepts and applauds emasculation. Every day we come a step closer to the point when men and women are (at least mentally, though some guys are trying real hard to look like flat chested women for some reason) indistinguishable. In a society that cheers faux enlightenment and blind acceptance, Duke seems little more than an unevolved knuckle dragging troglodyte relic of a bygone age. Its a shame that people dont realize the point of Duke was to try to steer masculinity back onto the proper course and avoid exactly what society has since become.

Either that or we can stop trying to apply relevance and symbolism to video games, and take Duke for what he was always supposed to be... a caricature, and remember, ITS JUST A GAME!

Why do you not have your own show? That was so well worded and intelligent that you make Jim look even shitter by comparison.

Yeah I'm not his biggest fan. He annoys the hell out of me.

So the costume, the sunglasses, the background and all that... it's not your ego after all, it's a joke.
Let me tell you something: you're not funny, at all - to a point which people get confused about whether or not you're actually trying to be funny (you must get really frustrated for having a total lack of sense of humor, which is by the way the main problem of this specific video; you wouldn't call your audience "fucking idiots" otherwise) - being a joke makes even it worse.

Also: 'being ironic about being ironic' can easily be interpreted as being 'ironic about being ironic about being ironic'; I know speaking like that makes you a happy man, but maybe you should consider adding a fourth layer of irony; that way maybe you won't even know if you mean something or the exact opposite...
...or maybe both - right? that would make perfect sense; like saying "I'm the perfect life form".

And here I thought we were passed getting outraged by Duke Nukem till the game at least came out. Whine Whine, he's such a jerk, I don't like him, he isn't ironic enough, whine whine. If you take Duke seriously, you are mentally deficient. I have never seen or played a Duke Nukem game (and I've been playing them since the first ones came out) where I thought he was so bad ass. I mean, in the first games, he didn't even have a character really. By 3D he did, but at no point did anyone actually think he was cool. The character of Duke enhanced the gameplay experience, but it wasn't the end all be all of the game. I would imagine this is gonna be the same with DNF. Sonic Colours did well, not because Sonic all of the suddenly was less serious or idiotic, but because it's the first game in a while that didn't do 3D. It was a 3D world, but Sonic moved on a 2D plain. You should pick up a review because they all mentioned how great Sonic is on a 2D plain and that is why the game is fun.

I think you missed the point completely, games aren't movies or novels or any other medium where character is the primary focus. In games, the characters always hold second fiddle to the actual game play mechanics. Sonic failed for years because it didn't translate to 3D well at all. Duke is a character that will gladly punch the aliens in the balls to get a job done, but it's all about getting the job done and how fun it is to get it done. I remember the good old days when the only characterization was what you read about them in the game manual. That is not to say that better characterization hasn't enhanced games, but it's still not the primary focus.

Once again, if you take Duke seriously, you're a complete dumbass. Because, at no point was Duke ever actually cool. He did cool things and was mostly lucky not to get killed in the end.

I agree with your point, but not the example. Duke Nukem works because they play it straight. He becomes ironic because he acts like a total douche, and no one calls him out on it. He is the main character in his world and the fact that he is aloud to be that without "reality" calling him out on his ridiculousness is what makes him funny.
Otherwise, great episode.

Why do I feel that this episode is actually about himself and not Duke.

I agree with a bunch of his points here, but as a couple other people here have also said, I do not agree with his vision of Duke Nukem. I think by supposedly playing the character straight, they make a great satire of the genre he mocks.

I liked it.
I certainly find Jimquisition MUCH easier to stomach than a lot of the stuff on this site. (Not ZP, Movie Bob or Extra Credits though)

This is pretty much what I've been thinking for a while now. I really don't like Duke Nukem as a character, and it's not just because he's a misogynistic douchebag, but because he's a misogynistic douchebag who never receives and karmic backlash for being a misogynistic douchebag. If bad things were to happen to him for his bad behavior, a bit like a video game equivalent of Johnny Bravo, then I'd be fine with the idea of him being some sort of parody. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen, so all we're left with is an asshole who we're apparently supposed to admire for all the things that make him so horrible and it just doesn't work.

Leveling... Tbh I don't think Duke Nukem should be 'explained' and I don't think you should point out you're not 100% serious. I do agree that Dante in Devil May Cry 3 was spot on in this regard, although I somewhat doubt it was on purpose.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here