Jimquisition: Too Cool To Be Cool

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Keava:

Hristo Tzonkov:

Well there's a difference between schoolgirl and women dressed as schoolgirls which was something I might've missed :P.

The point of Jims video was that.The world treating the character.Which is most important for an over the top character.I personally don't find the intrigue in Duke being himself and people being glad about him being himself.It's a really warped reality and you lose the satire and interesting likability about the character being flawed despite perfect.It slowly turns into a wank fantasy.

I really have to disagree. I see it as a satire on wank fantasy actually. Whatever Mary Sue fanfics can achieve Duke just does more of, in more 'cool' ways. That's the point. To find the boundaries and push them even further.

Satire gained it's 'funny' part only in modern times, but books like Orwell's Animal Farm, 1984, Burgess's Clockwork Orange or even Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 and American Psycho by Ellis are in fact satire. Neither of those books is really 'funny', some of them are disgusting, cruel, extremely violent or simply terrifying.

Thanks for snipping my quote :D.

I guess I'm used to certain types of those overly cool characters.And they usually fail despite being so cool(already mentioned Bravo and Slater,might as well throw in Ash from Evil Dead).I find it hard to imagine a world where everyone agrees with you.If they did it would be quite boring.

You seem very learned on the subject...I've just heard about those books and watched the movie on the last one.

Balobo:

ShadowKatt:

Balobo:

So you're basically an annoying protestor that won't shut up until they get their way?

Are these videos really hurting you? Why do you want this to be taken off so badly, it's not like you are being forced to watch it every time it comes out. It's not like it's restricting your abilities to enjoy this website or anything. You personally disliking it doesn't mean that it's ruining the whole site. Please just jump off your high horse for a second.

Ah, so now having a poor opinion of something is simply having a superiority complex(the "high horse") you refered to. I dislike the Jimquisition, but you offend me with your accusations.

No, I'm not being forced to watch it, but whether you like it or not(which I'm sure is heavily the 'not') I'm just as much a part of this community as you are and I have just as much a vested interest in this site maintaining a certain standard of excellence that I feel the Jimquisition does NOT stand up to. That's why I speak out against it, because when you compare it to other columns like Extra Credits and The Big Picture, it falls very short in terms of contant and presentation.

And I'm not alone. It's not one person that isn't satisfied with this kind of content on the site.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.287959-Poll-do-you-like-jimquisition

I'm aware that YOU think that it falls short in "contant" and presentation, that's pretty obvious. And yes, I know you're not alone. There are always at least two people in the world that will share the same opinion. Boo hoo, more people voted "No" than "Yes" on a poll that didn't receive much attention.

I never said weren't a part of the community, just remember that there's a part of this community that does enjoy the content Jim Sterling puts out. Look at this way: would it be better for members of the community to have the ability to watch the content on the site and the members that don't want to watch it to ignore it? Or should it just be removed entirely so only one camp is happy? The latter seems to be the way you function.

Yes, even when that one camp is the majority, we have to have EVERYTHING so EVERYONE is happy ALL the time. I find it amusing that you want to attack me for trying to deny a part of the escapist their Jimquisition, well the same could be said of the Jimquisition occupying the monday slot and taking up the space that could be used for something better.

You want to criticize me for having some kind of false moral high ground, my "high horse", and you're doing no better mocking the numbers of people that aren't satisfied with the content.

The escapist and its community deserve better being the best gaming site on the internet. I feel insulted that when the people that want to criticise and tear down gaming come here to look for more fuel to use against gaming as a hobby and a culture, the Jimquisition is right there on the front page to emphasise the same old arrogant, ignorant, immature stereotype.

ShadowKatt:

Balobo:

ShadowKatt:

Ah, so now having a poor opinion of something is simply having a superiority complex(the "high horse") you refered to. I dislike the Jimquisition, but you offend me with your accusations.

No, I'm not being forced to watch it, but whether you like it or not(which I'm sure is heavily the 'not') I'm just as much a part of this community as you are and I have just as much a vested interest in this site maintaining a certain standard of excellence that I feel the Jimquisition does NOT stand up to. That's why I speak out against it, because when you compare it to other columns like Extra Credits and The Big Picture, it falls very short in terms of contant and presentation.

And I'm not alone. It's not one person that isn't satisfied with this kind of content on the site.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.287959-Poll-do-you-like-jimquisition

I'm aware that YOU think that it falls short in "contant" and presentation, that's pretty obvious. And yes, I know you're not alone. There are always at least two people in the world that will share the same opinion. Boo hoo, more people voted "No" than "Yes" on a poll that didn't receive much attention.

I never said weren't a part of the community, just remember that there's a part of this community that does enjoy the content Jim Sterling puts out. Look at this way: would it be better for members of the community to have the ability to watch the content on the site and the members that don't want to watch it to ignore it? Or should it just be removed entirely so only one camp is happy? The latter seems to be the way you function.

Yes, even when that one camp is the majority, we have to have EVERYTHING so EVERYONE is happy ALL the time. I find it amusing that you want to attack me for trying to deny a part of the escapist their Jimquisition, well the same could be said of the Jimquisition occupying the monday slot and taking up the space that could be used for something better.

You want to criticize me for having some kind of false moral high ground, my "high horse", and you're doing no better mocking the numbers of people that aren't satisfied with the content.

The escapist and its community deserve better being the best gaming site on the internet. I feel insulted that when the people that want to criticise and tear down gaming come here to look for more fuel to use against gaming as a hobby and a culture, the Jimquisition is right there on the front page to emphasise the same old arrogant, ignorant, immature stereotype.

That one camp isn't even a huge majority anymore. It's starting to get closer and closer, whether you like it or not. And whether or not something is "better" is kind of subjective, of course I wouldn't expect you to address that or anything. I haven't noticed the same amount of foaming-in-the-mouth comments in this video as the previous videos.

I actually didn't mind this one. But going on about how he was essentially a parody? Ugh.

Show, don't tell. If I, a member of the general public, can't tell you're pretending to be annoying without you having to tell me, it isn't being done well enough

Balobo:

ShadowKatt:

Balobo:

That one camp isn't even a huge majority anymore. It's starting to get closer and closer, whether you like it or not. And whether or not something is "better" is kind of subjective, of course I wouldn't expect you to address that or anything. I haven't noticed the same amount of foaming-in-the-mouth comments in this video as the previous videos.

According to that poll that I liked that majority is still better than half the site and more than 1/5 the active community than those that actually like this. Liking or disliking may be subjective, but if you want to watch it so badly, go watch it somewhere else. This site as spoken and they don't want it. You tell me how the numbers are now suddenly subjective.

ShadowKatt:

Balobo:

ShadowKatt:

According to that poll that I liked that majority is still better than half the site and more than 1/5 the active community than those that actually like this. Liking or disliking may be subjective, but if you want to watch it so badly, go watch it somewhere else. This site as spoken and they don't want it. You tell me how the numbers are now suddenly subjective.

I didn't realize that every single user took that poll. Sorry.

I don't see how people hate him, he plays a "character" like colbert does... except for video games and more swearing

go back to not addressing the haters. this last one was terrible. your delivery for faux arrogance and conceit is a little off too. you failed in the same way you were talking about duke failing.

While I don't think there's anything wrong with this video such at is and the point, can't help to think that we are already bit overloading on the "Ironic looser hero" can't help but feel that it is somewhat asking to characterise characters by how good their franchise are doing overall.

Sonic isn't doing to well? well let's make him a loser in game! (I'm parodying a bit here since Jim does bring out the fact that Sonic attitude a bit a victim of Totally Racial! although I don't think its that bad)

Mike Laserbeam:
I liked it.
I certainly find Jimquisition MUCH easier to stomach than a lot of the stuff on this site. (Not ZP, Movie Bob or Extra Credits though)

This. Extra Credits is so pretentious it hurts to watch.

Macrobstar:

ezeroast:
I cant think of an icon i might have who would not like to have his knob sucked by 2 schoolgirls

So all your icons are pedophiles?

well only the good ones :P

dibblywibbles:
go back to not addressing the haters.

Of course, before this he was addressing the haters with cringe-worthy tweets haha. Man is really thin-skinned for some reason, which is really odd given his persona.

Seems Jim and Duke have a lot in common.

The joke of Duke is he's sort of the natural extrapolation of all those Cool Dude shows and video games of the late 80s and early 90s (instead of having the character dress and act super kewl, he's just treated as the coolest thing ever within the game world. The joke is always played extremely straight with no knowing wink to the audience, much like no one in South Park acknowledges that Terrance & Phillip is the dumbest show ever to appear on television. The audience is trusted to know that a womanizing meat-head who constantly cracks stupid jokes he cribbed from the equally stupid "They Live" is not to be taken seriously... much as Jim considers his entire persona as so far over the top to be taken as satire without him winking to the audience that it's all a big joke.

Loved the call out on the V for Vendetta comment about the background

You're doing well

+1 Fan

And internet cookies to you :D

Espsychologist:
Jim fails at funny again.

I keep watching, hoping that something funny will be said and yet every time I'm disappointed. I want to like this guy, I really do but I just don't. He may make some good points from time to time, but overall I'm just bored with this series.

Can Someone tell me the name of that song he uses?

GrimHeaper:
Can Someone tell me the name of that song he uses?

"Born Depressed" by Drill Queen

Ace IV:

Mike Laserbeam:
I liked it.
I certainly find Jimquisition MUCH easier to stomach than a lot of the stuff on this site. (Not ZP, Movie Bob or Extra Credits though)

This. Extra Credits is so pretentious it hurts to watch.

Wow I'm glad that's only you with that opinion during my lurking. And that includes the post you quoted. He was saying that he can stomach Extra Credits, not that it was so pretentious it hurts to watch. Not to mention they're technically not acting like they're more important than they actually are...which is the meaning of pretentious. I take it they said something you disagreed with? Was it the time they took a clip from Fox News that put them in a bad light on the Escapist?

Nurb:
I don't see how people hate him, he plays a "character" like colbert does... except for video games and more swearing

We get that. It's a bad character. It's derivative and not funny.

I consider this episode a disaster. Sterling must be the only person on the planet who thinks Duke Nukem is played straight and meant to be taken seriously. If he had ever played a Duke Nukem game, read any article, or just watched a fucking trailer, he would know different. Why didn't he learn something about this subject before writing this episode? Why does the escapist provide a platform for this junk?

Sterling's bad criticism of Duke Nukem is really just a bad criticism of satire in general. I don't mean to be cruel, but I wonder if he even understands what satire is.

Is it just me or Dante became more badass after he shed his seriousness?
But ofcourse there is nothing else that can be done to change duke now (he has already been changed drastically in terms of personality)

Is it just me or Dante became more badass after he shed his seriousness?
But ofcourse there is nothing else that can be done to change duke now (he has already been changed drastically in terms of personality)

Error, sorry.

Duke himself is clearly an over-the-top satirical character. But that isn't the same as being used in a satirical way. Take Duke Nudem for example; they made a crappy flash game that lets you see naked women if you win. But they didn't mock it. There was no humour about how stupidly pseudo-macho that is. People were apparently expected to find that genuinely cool. Which it wasn't.

I've been fair and given this series a chance, but no, it just sucks. I could forgive the appalling production value if Jim wasn't an annoying gobshite, but he is, so I'm going to point out it looks and sounds like it's recorded on a mobile phone. Jim is insulting, over-opinionated and vulgar like Yahtzee, but totally lacking Yahtzee's razor wit and word-smith talents. Sure I don't mind people having other options to me, but it has come to the point where I think the Escapist is trolling us with some of the stupid shit Jim dribbles out of his fat pie hole.

Ok show now if we only didn't have the narcissistic overweight British man who thinks he's just the buttered scones. I kid of course.

nifedj:
Duke himself is clearly an over-the-top satirical character. But that isn't the same as being used in a satirical way. Take Duke Nudem for example; they made a crappy flash game that lets you see naked women if you win. But they didn't mock it. There was no humour about how stupidly pseudo-macho that is. People were apparently expected to find that genuinely cool. Which it wasn't.

Duke Nukem hits the lowest common denominator so hard that I'm constantly wondering if I should be offended or not... and I find my indecision truly funny. If they winked at the audience, it simply wouldn't be funny any more. If they camped it up too much, it wouldn't be funny. But as long as it rides that white trash pro wrestling style for all its worth, I find myself oddly attracted to it.

And to see what happens when they do wink at the audience, check out Shadow Warrior. Which is funny in its own way, but didn't have the legs of Duke.

Tiger Sora:
Ok show now if we only didn't have the narcissistic overweight British man who thinks he's just the buttered scones. I kid of course.

Oh God, if he was American, this would be weaponized annoying.

The Canadian author Douglas Coupland is quoted as saying, "It turns out that only twenty percent of human beings have a sense of irony - which means that eighty percent of the world takes everything at face value." Based on some of the criticisms Jim continues to receive, I must agree that this is true. He tells us quite explicitly that he is being ironic and some people still don't get it.

Rooster Cogburn:

Nurb:

I consider this episode a disaster. Sterling must be the only person on the planet who thinks Duke Nukem is played straight and meant to be taken seriously. If he had ever played a Duke Nukem game, read any article, or just watched a fucking trailer, he would know different. Why didn't he learn something about this subject before writing this episode? Why does the escapist provide a platform for this junk?

Sterling's bad criticism of Duke Nukem is really just a bad criticism of satire in general. I don't mean to be cruel, but I wonder if he even understands what satire is.

How exactly is it derivitave?

While i like the style of Jimqusition i do feel that he is talking out of his a** most of the time.
I think Duke subscribes to a higher form of comedy than Serious "Sam" Stone, since Sam has to make himself obviously ridiculous and more or less wink at the camera. Duke can play the whole think straight and thus is the bigger joke.
It's like the difference between Scary movie and Airplane. One is always pointing out that it's a joke and the other is played totally serious, and Airplane is not only the funnier movie but it is also timeless.
If you are taking duke seriously you are doing it wrong!

Nurb:

Rooster Cogburn:

Nurb:

How exactly is it derivitave?

No, no. We're not going to argue over what is or isn't original, or about how everything is borrowed from somewhere. It's a waste of both our time. But in my opinion, its derivative.

And he finally explains the joke to the people that didn't get what he was trying to do. Ahh, good to see.

Someone named Jim Sterling on iTunes likes Tonetta. Therefore, I like this Jim Sterling by association.

Badass once again. Spot on with Sonic. If he became self-aware, he'd be so much better. But nope.

Honestly I never thought Duke Nukem was funny. My attachment to the series comes in the form of the awesome arcade gameplay. It was one of my first FPS games.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)