Extra Punctuation: New Team Fortress 2 Classes

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

New Team Fortress 2 Classes

Yahtzee thinks Brink should have had more variety.

Read Full Article

Fascinating read as always.

Your description of the Pilot class is an especially glaring example of why an actually realistic modern war game would be extraordinarily boring, and necessarily unfair.

Altogether however, I have to say that a class based shooter that actually included all these classes would be balls-out exceptional.

Yeah, I wanna play as the Tiger and piss on the control point. So much.

Why Yahtzee, if I didn't know better I'd say you were taking the michael...

:P

Its funny I guess but it feels more like some comedy Extra Punctuation rather than a building off of the Brink review

Also, Yahtzee I feel its unneeded to continue the shot joke. Returning jokes are one thing but we don't need it to be a "Like god of war but" stamp. Also taking a shot just doesn't sound funny.

Though it would be fun to be able to humiliate some enemy soldier. Placing GIF's of the enemy getting T-bagged on the walls. Thanks for creating the artist class. Might I recommend the General class for RTSers? Or perhaps the Brawler for Fighters?

Having extra classes in TF2 would completely upset the balance of the classes. They all do their thing and have their weaknesses and strengths.

OH Yahtzee you silly person. Although i would like seeing these type of classes implemented, it'd be funny.

*sigh* I'll admit it. That first sentence made me think for a moment. >_>

Imagine the griefing that would come from this... Propaganda Artist makes heavy cry, heavy runs off to find Councillor, Councillor is in fact spy... Heavy dies while crying like a baby.

Take my money now!

I would definitely play this game if an optional class was, in fact, counseling other players to feel better about themselves. It would also be awesome to wield a stuffed animal, maybe Dead Rising 2 style.

The tiger could also deal more damage to those who are armed with a piece of fresh fruit.

I do agree with his hatred of having to unlock everything through repetitive playing. That turned me off about MW2 (amongst other things) in that I had to wait until like level 43 to be able to unlock the second chance move, while in Black Ops I could do it within like the first 5 levels, which was good because getting it early helped me build up my confidence and made me want to play more, unlike MW2 which just kept massacring me until I just lost interest. Some unlockables are okay, but don't force them upon us in order for us to get the full gaming experience.

idk. i think adding classes would simply upset the class balance. TF2 simply did it right, it is to online fps's what WoW is to MMO's.

Quick Question: Why hasn't anyone tried to hire Yahtzee as a game designer, or at least a person to look over the plot/gameplay/characters/ect. I mean if I were making a game, a few months before announcement I would try to get an expert opinion. And the idea of Yahtzee's improved Brink, I like. It would make a shooter much better.

I got some ideas

Cook: You can drop tasty treats over the battlefield, if your team eats them they regain health over time. However you can also drop poisoned treats and if the enemy eats them, they lose health, however you got to make sure your team doesn't eat them

Builder: You can build cover for your team to hide behind, not the best class as a lot of people would aim for you, but good for objective based gameplay

Yahtzee Croshaw:
'What the Tiger loses in long-distance attack ability it gains in the fact that it's a fucking tiger.'

As good an argument for the usage of vicious cats in games as I have ever heard...

On a more serious note, the points made about a need to allow customisation from the get-go in Brink do make a lot of sense - this was the one area in which it could make a better game to pick up anew instead of Team Fortress 2. Remember that when first playing TF2 there is also a steep learning curve, as you try and work out how to Rocket Jump whilst being continually dominated by more experienced players, and this would seem comparable to the difficulties involved in playing Brink.

However, TF2 requires money or a lot of graft to get any sort of customisation for your characters, particularly in terms of looks, and this is the weakness Brink could have exploited, especially if there was no plan to charge for hats anyway...

Just something to think about while you drink your required three shots!

SHOTGUN! CSI class!

Beware my yellow and black stripey tape and stern voice!

I guess this isn't one of the series-toned Extra Punctuation ^_^

All those classes are quite good, but I say there should be one more. You should get to play as a wall. You would stay down in the ground in a certain pathway waiting for someone to come by. When the enemy ahppens to run down the corridor, you spring up and they hit their face on you damaging them as they curse aloud at being blocked from their objective. You would also have an ability to randomly spawn in another corridor, but this would have a long cool-down. Of coarse, the Propaganda Artist can kill you by putting up grafiti on or near you. However, then you just spawn in another random location.

This class would be perfect for trolls :D

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Snip

In terms of online multiplayer, I still say a "less is more" attitude. It is is easier to balance and make unique fewer characters rather then make balance and more unique more characters. What is so great about Shogun 2 is that instead of hundreds of units who are all the same with slightly different stats, you have at most 40 units who all follow a very basic "rock, paper, sissors" formula. Spears beat horse, horse beats sword, sword beats spear, while ranged units can harm anybody at range they are useless in a melee. Brink just fails at both quality of uniqueness and quanity of classes.

One quick thing, Yatzhee - you can blame all the unlocks on Call of Duty, which seems to have made it popular to have to unlock classes and guns. In its multiplayer, you start with five basic classes and can't even customize one of them until you've killed a couple of bad mouthed 12-year olds turds online. And when you can customize a few, you've only got a few guns and perks unlocked.

I know you don't play much multiplayer, I thought I'd just point out another reason for you to dislike CoD.

But all this unlocking does get kind of addicting, in the WoW sort of way. Why are you still playing? Because I want to unlock the next gun. Why do you want that gun? Because I want to keep playing and unlock the next one.

Damn it, now I want a class-based multiplayer game where you can control a tiger...preferably a mechanical one...

Yahtzee Croshaw:
So. Brink, besides being what a racist caricature of an Oriental person would say is their favorite Doctor Who episode, is also a disappointing game.

Yahtzee is credit to team!

I really, seriously want to be able to play a tiger in these games now. In fact, the ability to play as a tiger is one of the few things that could ever convince me to play an online shooter again. The others were more than a bit silly, but I imagine the tiger could actually be made interesting and relevant in gameplay.

Why aren't game developers paying you bucket loads of money to come up with simple ideas? And why are you just throwing them out for free?

V8 Ninja:
Damn it, now I want a class-based multiplayer game where you can control a tiger...preferably a mechanical one...

Voltron anyone?

Not G. Ivingname:

In terms of online multiplayer, I still say a "less is more" attitude. It is is easier to balance and make unique fewer characters rather then make balance and more unique more characters. What is so great about Shogun 2 is that instead of hundreds of units who are all the same with slightly different stats, you have at most 40 units who all follow a very basic "rock, paper, sissors" formula. Spears beat horse, horse beats sword, sword beats spear, while ranged units can harm anybody at range they are useless in a melee. Brink just fails at both quality of uniqueness and quanity of classes.

If balance were the only factor to a fun game, then you would all be playing TF2 with just a single class, it would be the most balanced game in existence, and u'd be hard pressed to find some1 to play it.

Sometimes, sacrificing a bit of balance to add depth, variety, flavor, and by extension longer-lasting entertainment is well worth it. A game designer that can expand the cast while keeping balance stable is tons better at his job than one that just makes a handful and leaves it like that.

... So basically, you propose Peter Molyneux's "Evil Genius: FPS Edition"?

Team Fortress 2 is way better than Brink, because in TF2 I can buy all my items, in stead of having to earn them by actually playing the game :')

I'm guessing you either didn't read the article or are intent on starting an off topic debate?

Even though I didn't like Brink, I didn't have a problem with unlocking stuff. For appearance, I mostly sticked with a skull face painting, sleevles shirt w/ a jacket and jeans look (Resistance). That is until I finally unlocked the hoodie and clown face paint, I decided to not cahnge it anymore. The abilities, I just went with most of the ones for Soilder since that was the best class in my gaming experience. And for the guns, I only hated that most of the upgrades can only be unlocked by playing single player. So what is the point for adding multiplayer for challenges?

The part where he talks about the classes were humorous choices. I would choice the Propagenda Artist because it's almost similar to Bioshock 2's multiplayer and I remember how I would always take pictures of my falling victims to get better kills.

Good article this week, but I laughed hard at the first sentence.

i want to see a propaganda artist vs conusler fight.

Well, the tiger could work, not neccecerily as a tiger, but just as a dedicated melee class.

The prpopaganda artist would really work actually. Give players a camera, have them take snapshots of specific situations (a friendly sniper after a succesfull kill, a dead enemy, a captured point) or put grafiti in specific places(the enemy's spawn) and give bonuses (damage boost, an extra wave of npc's, slower enemy respawn...). I'd actually play that.

I wouldn't mind civilian for VIP maps, and some class that can build cover. I actually like the propaganda artist idea where morale boosts/losses would affect damage done.

And of course the tiger. Which would be awesome.

While it was all pretty silly, that propaganda artist idea is rather brilliant. I wouldn't mind seeing a support class like that in a game.

I'm going to to go ahead and deliberately take these suggestions at face value. The Propaganda artist and Counselor COULD work, if "morale" counts as a temporary boost in strength and/or endurance. The pilot, instead of instantly beating the other time, could only be taken down by a sniper, or solider, or someone with a really powerful long-range weapon. The tiger could also be cool.

The Crime Scene Investigator, however, I don't see him fitting into this game at all.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here