Trailers: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm: Gameplay

Pages 1 2 NEXT

StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm: Gameplay

Sarah Kerrigan and the Zerg feature in StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm.

Watch Video

SOOOOO

MAAAANNNNYYYY

BBAAAAANNNNNEEEEELLLIIINNNGGGGGGSSSS!

Too bad I stopped played SCII. Oh well.

The way her evolution stuff is set up is so much above and beyond what I expected. Blizzard is amazing.

They should have saved Zerg for last; I might not buy the Protoss one.

Hmmmmmm, is it just me or does it largely seem a lot of Zerg on Zerg in this, maybe it's because it's advertising the Heart of the Swarm or possibly because she's not going to revert back to being the Queen of Blades and instead help the Terrans and Protoss out with some Zerglings.

Looks to be set up pretty much how the terran campaign was. Complete worlds in whatever order you want, gain upgrades and unlock research, rinse and repeat. I hope it's not too similar though, otherwise it will just feel like a re-skinned Wings of Liberty.

Does anyone know how much they're going to expand the multiplayer? It would be lame if they didn't at least unlock a few new units for each race. I know it will be harder to balance, but then again they're selling each of these as a full retail game, so it better stand up on its own.

Cool tweaks and interface. The upgrades and unlocks looks a lot better than liberty. Still didn't see anything worth full price.
Go Greed Go.

Holy shit, it's just how I pictured it. Seems to be coming along nicely, now how about a release date?

Sweet tea. So is she evil again, or just running from all the peeps trying to kill her?

Article http://wellplayed.org/forum/114/thread/3805016/show

Gameplay Trailer
It's safe to say that this is what everyone has been waiting for. This is our first glimpse at the actual gameplay of Heart of the Swarm. As usual, Blizzard keeps things simple and mysterious, but there's plenty on display in this trailer that's worth getting excited about.

A Swarm Divided
In the initial mission briefing, we learn that the Zerg swarm has splintered after the loss of the Queen of Blades and that Kerrigan is determined to get everything back under her control. Subjugating these rogue Queens will surely play a large role in the story of the campaign, and defeating these foes will likely serve as the way to unlock new units and continuously expand your army.

Survival of the Fittest
Perhaps the most unique aspect of Heart of the Swarm campaign is the way that Zerg units can evolve to yield improvements or even all-new units. Blizzard offered the Zergling as an example; they can gain the ability to split into Broodlings when killed as a basic upgrade. They can also further evolve into either Swarmlings, which spawn as three units instead of two, or Raptors, which are stronger and can leap at an enemy (Broodlings can be seen at 00:55, Raptors around 2:25). Expect to see your favorite Zerg units change in new and exciting ways throughout the campaign.

Heroic Endeavors
As one of the Blizzard devs remarked during the Q&A, "Kerrigan doesn't have a lot of friends," and this is reflected in the style of the campaign. Kerrigan doesn't have a Battlecruiser filled with allies waiting to help her; she has to regain control of the Swarm on her own. Thus Kerrigan will be a hero unit used throughout the campaign, and her evolution will be just as important as that of her units. As Kerrigan becomes stronger, more abilities and powers will be unlocked, transforming her from a typical Ghost unit into a much more powerful creature. Kerrigan's motivations are open for speculation; based on this trailer she is clearly hell-bent on uniting the Zerg under her rule, but how she plans to use this army is entirely unknown.

technoted:
Hmmmmmm, is it just me or does it largely seem a lot of Zerg on Zerg in this, maybe it's because it's advertising the Heart of the Swarm or possibly because she's not going to revert back to being the Queen of Blades and instead help the Terrans and Protoss out with some Zerglings.

Kerrigan is no longer the way she used to be.
As in, she's neither the Kerrigan she was when she was human, nor the Queen of Blades.
She's kind of a mix of both.

She doesn't have a lot of friends.
She's still Zerg, so most Terrans want to kill her, some want to capture and use her, and the Protoss wants her dead too.
Her only hope to survive is to build her own swarm, but as she's lost most of her power she had as the queen of blades, the broods she once commanded have abandoned her.
So she have to subjugate them to regain control.
Hence the ZvZ action.

Squad evolution and specific terrain troops, always seems to be the way. Looks fun on the bun, I still need to play number 2 though, its hard when your poor.

It just seems like a lot of ZvZ because of the video. The actual playthrough that people were shown had a choice between two worlds at the start, one was a ZvZ match the other was a ZvP match.

Also it actually seems quite a bit different in subtle ways. Kerrigan's a hero unit and while you had "hero" units in WoL, this seems quite a bit different. She is always present, she has extra abilities that a normal unit of her type wouldnt have (based off the video it looked like she chucked a grenade and used snipe), and if she dies she eventually comes back later on (though this hasn't been explained as to how that makes sense so it may be scrapped before it goes live).

Really this campaign seems a bit more like WC3 than SC style, which is appropriate considerin the story. Sure Raynor is a badass, but he aint no queen bitch of the universe. Errr...former queen bitch.

shintakie10:
It just seems like a lot of ZvZ because of the video. The actual playthrough that people were shown had a choice between two worlds at the start, one was a ZvZ match the other was a ZvP match.

Also it actually seems quite a bit different in subtle ways. Kerrigan's a hero unit and while you had "hero" units in WoL, this seems quite a bit different. She is always present, she has extra abilities that a normal unit of her type wouldnt have (based off the video it looked like she chucked a grenade and used snipe), and if she dies she eventually comes back later on (though this hasn't been explained as to how that makes sense so it may be scrapped before it goes live).

Really this campaign seems a bit more like WC3 than SC style, which is appropriate considerin the story. Sure Raynor is a badass, but he aint no queen bitch of the universe. Errr...former queen bitch.

I would imagine it would be similar to Age of Mythology or the SCII:WoL level where you take out the Nydus Canals, which claim they are just "knocked out" or something similar.

Where they fighting giant yeti things?

WOW! I think the next race to be played in Starcraft II is the Zerg, according to teaser and trailer. Why even publish a non-descript minute of video if it's not gonna show anything special or new? Just a waste of bandwith...

SFMB:
WOW! I think the next race to be played in Starcraft II is the Zerg, according to teaser and trailer. Why even publish a non-descript minute of video if it's not gonna show anything special or new? Just a waste of bandwith...

So the fact that upgradin units can change them into completely different units with new abilities instead of just addin a passive stat to them isn't new? Showin a hero unit that would always be around wasn't new? Havin upgradeable armor/stats/abilities for your main hero unit wasn't new?

Either you didn't actually watch the gameplay trailer or you didn't actually pay attention to what happened in the trailer.

Sean951:

shintakie10:

I would imagine it would be similar to Age of Mythology or the SCII:WoL level where you take out the Nydus Canals, which claim they are just "knocked out" or something similar.

I'd be a bit disappointed if thats all that happens when she gets taken out. Considerin the fact that she is basically the only thing that controls her zerg forces if she were to be knocked out it'd take one helluva hand wave to explain why her zerg don't just go crazy and eat everythin.

Though that does bring me to a new question. Who are we supposed to be in HotS? In SC and SC:BW you always knew what you were and why you were controllin all this stuff. In WoL you can kind maybe guess at who you are and why everyone is listenin to your commands. However in HotS there's no such link. You're most definitely not a cerebrate since they're all dead (though the fate of the BW cerebrate wasn't ever really told) and the idea that you're Kerrigan is a bit..far fetched.

shintakie10:

SFMB:

So the fact that upgradin units can change them into completely different units with new abilities instead of just addin a passive stat to them isn't new? Showin a hero unit that would always be around wasn't new? Havin upgradeable armor/stats/abilities for your main hero unit wasn't new?

Either you didn't actually watch the gameplay trailer or you didn't actually pay attention to what happened in the trailer.

Sean951:

shintakie10:

I'd be a bit disappointed if thats all that happens when she gets taken out. Considerin the fact that she is basically the only thing that controls her zerg forces if she were to be knocked out it'd take one helluva hand wave to explain why her zerg don't just go crazy and eat everythin.

Though that does bring me to a new question. Who are we supposed to be in HotS? In SC and SC:BW you always knew what you were and why you were controllin all this stuff. In WoL you can kind maybe guess at who you are and why everyone is listenin to your commands. However in HotS there's no such link. You're most definitely not a cerebrate since they're all dead (though the fate of the BW cerebrate wasn't ever really told) and the idea that you're Kerrigan is a bit..far fetched.

Well, you were more or less Raynor in Wings, so I would say playing as Kerrigan wouldn't be much of a stretch, and I imagine we will be Zeratul for the Protoss.

Sean951:
-snip-
Well, you were more or less Raynor in Wings, so I would say playing as Kerrigan wouldn't be much of a stretch, and I imagine we will be Zeratul for the Protoss.

I guess I just find the difference to be that there were times you had Raynor as a character and times when you didn't. It gave the illusion that you were someone else on the battlecruiser tossin down orders from above. Perhaps I'm totally off though and they explained somewhere that you're not actually supposed to be someone unlike in SC and BW, but I haven't seen it if they have.

Perhaps I'm just readin into it far too much. Far as I can tell most RTS games just sorta hand wave the entire idea away about who the player is.

shintakie10:

Sean951:
-snip-

I guess I just find the difference to be that there were times you had Raynor as a character and times when you didn't. It gave the illusion that you were someone else on the battlecruiser tossin down orders from above. Perhaps I'm totally off though and they explained somewhere that you're not actually supposed to be someone unlike in SC and BW, but I haven't seen it if they have.

Perhaps I'm just readin into it far too much. Far as I can tell most RTS games just sorta hand wave the entire idea away about who the player is.

I've always assumed I'm the all powerful deity of my people, controlling their action to fulfill my every whim. Especially when the story gets rid of anyone higher than the character you are controlling, such as in Age of Mythology where Arktanos sets out as the Supreme Commander of Atlantean forces, and you gain control of the other Kings.

shintakie10:

Sean951:
-snip-

In the first game you take the roll of a nameless Magistrate/Cerebrate/Executor. The characters even talk directly to the player during briefings and the like. However in Wings of Liberty it seems that Raynor is the one giving all the orders, and there isn't any indication of a nameless commander hiding in the shadows.

So you're essentially playing as Raynor... at least that's how it came across to me.

Hoping for lockdown, hoping for lockdown.

It was the only reason I ever used Kerrigan in the campaign.

I guess I'm going to have to learn to stop missing larvae injects though :( Zerg is the hardest to learn.

Avaholic03:
Looks to be set up pretty much how the terran campaign was. Complete worlds in whatever order you want, gain upgrades and unlock research, rinse and repeat. I hope it's not too similar though, otherwise it will just feel like a re-skinned Wings of Liberty.

Does anyone know how much they're going to expand the multiplayer? It would be lame if they didn't at least unlock a few new units for each race. I know it will be harder to balance, but then again they're selling each of these as a full retail game, so it better stand up on its own.

in the Q and A they said new maps and units so I'm guessing more stuff like in brood war

Denamic:
She's still Zerg, so most Terrans want to kill her, some want to capture and use her, and the Protoss wants her dead too.

Wouldn't the majority of the protoss want to support her, and a minority of the terrans. Zeratul has a quite sizable influence among the protoss and believes that she's essential to dealing with the hybrid creatures.

Eponet:

Denamic:

Wouldn't the majority of the protoss want to support her, and a minority of the terrans. Zeratul has a quite sizable influence among the protoss and believes that she's essential to dealing with the hybrid creatures.

Yes, but there really isn't any proof that she is different, and I am sure they remember the events of the Brood Wars all too well...

So long as Blizzard gives me a level where I have to mass banelings, all shall be forgiven.

Eponet:

Denamic:

She's killed billions of people, Terran and Protoss. Billions.
Saying she's changed and that we need her because Jim saw a vision isn't going to convince a whole lot of people.
And it doesn't help that the Protoss makes cleansing Zerg with fire a national passtime.
She also has a history of manipulating and infesting Protoss leaders.

Because it's far too many quotes to click on then trim down. You guys are seriously questioning how Kerrigan always being in the action is going to work out when she goes down? Did you not play the last level in WoL? She gets too injured to fight and has to take the time to recover, the zerg do have the ability to uhhh hyper regenerate? yeah hyper regenerate that sounds cool.

technoted:

Did the Zeratul side missions help you get to that conclusion? Because, I agree. I think she is going to help save us all from the Xel'naga.

I made the decision to buy all the parts when Wings of Liberty came out and this trailer showed that I made the right choice :)

And people thought online was hell to balance now...

I wish they'd hurry up and just start selling this game as an action RPG. Stop trying to pretend its an RTS.

-SPOILERS FOR SC2-

Also, I still wish Kerrigan had died at the end of SC2. That woulda been a balls tighteningly awesome ending and left you wondering how the universe is going to get out of this now. It'd also help Mengsk become even more awesome.

Ah, cool! You get to evolve Kerrigan as well. Sweet <3
Feared we'd be stuck with that fucking boring human Sarah.

Hey, it's that Ice environment from SC1! And the hero development looks almost action-RPG-ish from the 1.5 seconds I saw of that screen. Looks alright, actually. Hopefully they add some cool new units/research/upgrades to the Multiplayer as well, or bring back old favorites. Either way, looks like the Zerg campaign won't be "skimped on" thankfully. And if the Hero thing goes well, the Protoss one might have a similar element in a couple years.

NameIsRobertPaulson:
SOOOOO

MAAAANNNNYYYY

BBAAAAANNNNNEEEEELLLIIINNNGGGGGGSSSS!

Too bad I stopped played SCII. Oh well.

I went up against about as many Banelings as in the video in a late macro game where the opponent had lost all his mutas, all his roaches and all his hydras. I saw the Banelings rolling towards one of my expansions and I was like "OH SHI-", then my PC locked up for about two minutes, and after that, two of my expansions were obliterated, but I then went Void Rays and Colossi and won after quite a long time with fending off Banelings.

Ontopic: I can't wait for this game :D

Does it trouble anyone else that Warcraft and Starcraft stories are pretty much identical? I mean, after playing SC1 and then playing WC3 I saw blatant similarities left and right. A hero who fell into darkness and takes control of the hive-minded army, and then the other races have to band together to defeat it. And, what's this? Said fallen hero is losing their mind controlled grip on their armies and now there's a splinter group they have to take care of!

That and the fact that you can always tell who will win based on which race's campaign is last.

OT: I love the Zerg. I passed on SCII until this point so I could buy the Zerg campaign and nothing else.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here