Zero Punctuation: L.A. Noire

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

L.A. Noire

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews L.A. Confiden... err sorry L.A. Noire.

Watch Video

"Discarded fag-packet"

How delightfully British!

It is kind of hard to keep motivation in a case that will move on regardless of your decisions.

great review. I personally love the story of the game and find myself not wanting to stop in the middle of a case :)

Interesting review of this I do believe its funny. I would like to try this game even if the ending is very very absurd using a flamethrower. -Imagines that- Hmm actually sounds kinda fun.

Well he didnt rip the game a new one. which means he liked it. so yeah

I hate to be 'that guy', but Noire is the feminine form of the work, Noir being the masculine (he brought it up in the credit comments).

There are many times, watching these videos, that I like the joke but don't get how Yahtzee found some issue or decided something was bad. But the glasses comment on the early mission is exactly the same thing I thought.

Your character clearly states that the glasses had been repaired on home. The wife says they are new. I go "Gotcha! LIAR!" and the character starts accusing her of being at the crime scene! I'm sitting there going "Whoh whoh whoh! I'm just working the glasses angle man! Why are you calling her the murderer?!"

Well, I can honestly say I knew all the jokes he was gonna make before I pressed play, mostly because I had already made most of them myself. But he said them in a vaguely british and or australian accent, so they're funnier now!

-Dragmire-:
It is kind of hard to keep motivation in a case that will move on regardless of your decisions.

Agreed... while I understand it, it would be nice to see the game take that sort of thing into account as you move forward and let your abilities in the puzzle/detective side guide your final ending...

Ie: If you do really well with those aspects, you'll get better information giving you a different finale than someone who wings the interviews but aces the shootouts.

Preferably something less flamethrower-y.

I kind of expected this. The crime scene analysis always tends to be an interesting balance between what you can let the player analyze and making sure they don't waste hours looking at the wrong thing.

The notion that the case seems to go on with or without me is a big discouragement point, though. Pity, because Noire seems for the most part a very positive step but it would have been nice if it had taken a few more.

One thing i found myself thinking on was during the interviews if I get like 4 questions in and fuck up the fifth one, or worse get every question wrong, it had to have been the most disappointing feeling I've ever felt. In games like red dead and fallout and a whole truck load of other games, I have the option to save before I piss away 1000 bucks at a gambling table. In Noire it auto saves before you go into the house so not only do you have to go through the unskippable talking and banter beforehand but you also lose out on the experience you would get for getting the interrogation right the first time.

I don't know if that's bad or good.

Fantastic, per usual.

Best review in ages, worth the wait.
Also i think that Noire having an e on the end was because La is male, and so the e goes on the end of the word to make it male too. Otherwise it would be L.E. Noir... but unfortunatly its not Los Engeles so L.E. wouldnt make sense

still getting it

Didn't insult it too much.
I'm buying.

After I saw "Brink" last week I knew it'll be L.A. Noire this one... but you're going to do Witcher 2 next week... right... right? It's not going to be some special E3 episode again? Or you're going to do both, amirite?

New drinking game.

Every time Yatzhee mentioned hitler in this review, take a shot.

I had a feeling that interogation system was going to have that exact same problem, what's wrong with just telling the player what his own character is going to say exactly?

Quite frankly, I think a car mounted on top of another car would be the greatest form of transportation ever concieved by man.

So the game would be better if they sprang some less cash on mocap and a bit more on changing interogation with every person so you can know what reaction is gonna be produced, like "Lie" into "I think you're lying, why don't you tell me what really happened Miss" being different from "God damn it, if you don't tell me truth I'm gonna take these broken glasses I found next to a garbage can near the crime scene and stuff them up where the sun don't shine, you digg?!".
It's kind of a big miss in the whole gameplay part of the game...still, thumbs up for a different kind of gameplay in the mainstream.

The bodies might be rigid, but to me the hats are even creepier...and boy, are there a lot of hats.

Determining when a suspect was lying was just too easy. I agree when Yahtzee said that the final part should have been an extra hard interrogation, but I suppose it's got to remain playable not only for the intelligent gamer, but also for the dumbass 12 year olds who scream at their parents until they eventually give in and buy a game too old for them

Now I need to watch a LP of it :/
And it's about fucking time Yahtzee! I've had to wait 3 damn hours for this video!

ChildofGallifrey:
I hate to be 'that guy', but Noire is the feminine form of the work, Noir being the masculine (he brought it up in the credit comments).

Sounds reasonable. But does it make sense in the game title? I thought it was supposed to be a reference to "film noir."

I'm just happy Rockstar is trying something new with L.A Noire, focusing on story and investigation.

If one company does sandbox well it's Rockstar, but for those of us who consider 'Games as Art' I think L.A Noire is a step in the right direction even if that step is a wobbly one.

Jonci:
There are many times, watching these videos, that I like the joke but don't get how Yahtzee found some issue or decided something was bad. But the glasses comment on the early mission is exactly the same thing I thought.

Your character clearly states that the glasses had been repaired on home. The wife says they are new. I go "Gotcha! LIAR!" and the character starts accusing her of being at the crime scene! I'm sitting there going "Whoh whoh whoh! I'm just working the glasses angle man! Why are you calling her the murderer?!"

Lol.. yea.. that was very jarring. I also found myself wondering why my character is shouting at witnesses for what I thought was no apparent reason. But I figured it might have to do something with the whole Noir thing. Maybe that was the style back then?

Sooo... the "Big Sleep" ends with Marlowe losing it and going postal on the criminal underworld with a flamethrower? That's... really disappointing.

Imagine if Sherlock Holmes closed out the Resident Patient with a Rambo marathon... and now I've given Hollywood another bad idea to realise on celuloid...

Oh hello THread.
Here you are.
I was looking for you earlier when I was needlessly (it seems) making comments with my Facebook.
What a dummy.

I was kind of surprised how not-negative the critique was. To me, this is barely something you could consider a game but he seems pretty into it, the criticisms were not about the idea of NOIRE existing but more of little niggling things.
Are you softening in your old age?

Why was ZP so late today? It's a...
*puts on sunglasses*
mystery

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

Hal10k:
Quite frankly, I think a car mounted on top of another car would be the greatest form of transportation ever concieved by man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5xd97HeY70

enjoy

Limecake:
I'm just happy Rockstar is trying something new with L.A Noire, focusing on story and investigation.

If one company does sandbox well it's Rockstar, but for those of us who consider 'Games as Art' I think L.A Noire is a step in the right direction even if that step is a wobbly one.

Could have easily been another GTA.

OT: Challenging Hitler to pictionary? Hmm...

*scribbles down on list of game ideas*

DragonLord Seth:
Now I need to watch a LP of it :/

From what I understand/have heard, Rockstar does not take to kindly to LPs because they think that if people watch the game, they are less likely to buy it. I could be wrong on that though.

OT: This did look like a fun game, so I think I may get it later. But that glasses thing? Funny as hell.

plugav:

ChildofGallifrey:

Sounds reasonable. But does it make sense in the game title? I thought it was supposed to be a reference to "film noir."

I do not know how much truth there is to this but I recall that the extra "e" was just a programming error they just went with...

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/01/rumour-la-noires-development-more-of-a-mess-than-wed-imagined-rockstar/

And yet some people say that Yahtzee has no credibility as an actual game critic. That review pretty much lined up perfectly with not only my thoughts on the game but also touched upon the most common issues others had with the game.

Either way, it's really too bad that more people don't mention the impact the fancy new-fangled facial capture technology being stapled onto the same body models RockStar has been using since GTA3 has. It's such a blatantly obvious and extremely distracting visual break that so few people comment on.

Yahtzee seemed to have more mixed feelings about this one, but overall I'd think the game managed to hold up quite well in ZP. My copy is sitting beside me as I type this, I'll start playing on Monday. Can't wait.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here