Zero Punctuation: L.A. Noire

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I did that EXACT same thing with the guy's broken old glasses and the wife saying he just got a new pair. So I hit lie and now Cole is saying she killed her husband. What?! At least you can back out of a lie accusation if Cole starts spouting off about something you didn't want (and like it says in the video, you do eventually learn to pick lie first every time just to see if the person you're talking to changes the subject to a piece of evidence he's sure you don't have but you do). But if he does it for doubt, you're screwed. And then sometimes you pick "truth" and he accuses them of not being completely honest anyway! Why even label the options as "truth", "doubt", and "lie" if Cole's reaction is just going to be whatever he feels like doing?

And yeah, those cases where you have enough evidence to say that two different suspects might have done it but you know they both probably didn't suck. But too was surprised when I got chewed out for picking the wrong one, especially since the "wrong" one had slightly stronger evidence against him even though you know neither guy did it, so it makes more sense to pick him and then you get chewed out. And then of course, you do find out later than you were right about neither of them doing it. Yay.

Good game, but certainly room for improvement if they make an LA Noire 2.

Yay for the Space Quest box Yahtzee! Man, I grew up with those games. Though if anything LA Noire reminds me a bit of Gabriel Knight, being a detective thing and all.
I liked the game, but yeah RoboPhelps certainly needs to get a grip on his anger management, like when he yells at the landlady and calls her a old hag!

Akalabeth:

Thrashgrinder:
Well he didnt rip the game a new one. which means he liked it. so yeah

Were we watching the same review? He gave it a passing grade at best.

Regardless of what he says I won't be bothering with this game either. Rockstar games are pretty boring and the "story" aspects of the games are pretty weak.

Well if that's what you think, then that's what you think.

And i would recommend this game to you.

DragonLord Seth:
Now I need to watch a LP of it :/
And it's about fucking time Yahtzee! I've had to wait 3 damn hours for this video!

Here ya go!

robot_slipper:
I liked the game, but yeah RoboPhelps certainly needs to get a grip on his anger management, like when he yells at the landlady and calls her a old hag!

That part was funny, especially so because the answer that involved calling her and old hag was the right one. And then your partner makes a couple comments about that outburst as the case goes on.

E-Penguin:

DragonLord Seth:
And it's about fucking time Yahtzee! I've had to wait 3 damn hours for this video!

Here ya go!

You're doing it wrong. It's "{youtube=video ID only}". But with the proper brackets (why does this forum not support noparse?).

So like this:

I agree with this review in many ways. Though the game itself is beautifully rendered, and the overarching story is definitely a catcher, I did notice the very similar plot from L.A. Confidential (incidentally being one of my favorite movies).
Still, R* made a good game and one I thoroughly have enjoyed. Hopefully DLC for it will be worth getting, maybe even GTA4-style side-stories.

floppylobster:

-Dragmire-:

floppylobster:

Please don't become a real detective then.

(Recaptcha was 'uzerep COPLAND'!)

Don't worry, the paperwork is too much of a turn off for me to consider it anyway... and I'm not a people person.

That, and every case you encounter moves on regardless of your decisions and it's very hard to keep motivated as cases pile up.

When I use the words 'move on' I'm not referring to the progression of time. What I am referring to is the progression of an interactive story that does not require any specific path to progress.

It's like playing Super Mario Bros where falling down a hole results in mario jumping back out commenting on how he shouldn't have jumped down in the first place.

I find failure less threatening in a game when you don't lose anything or get set back in any way. Why should I care about decisions I make if they progress the story in a similar way regardless of which ones I pick?

Well, even if the ending is completely insane, I can at least enjoy the trip to get there. (waiting for payday so I can buy this game.)

Ha! lol at the pictionary ballsack xD

Thrashgrinder:

Akalabeth:

Thrashgrinder:
Well he didnt rip the game a new one. which means he liked it. so yeah

Were we watching the same review? He gave it a passing grade at best.

Regardless of what he says I won't be bothering with this game either. Rockstar games are pretty boring and the "story" aspects of the games are pretty weak.

Well if that's what you think, then that's what you think.

And i would recommend this game to you.

I might buy this game when it drops to 20 dollars. But not before.

The final case was massively dissapointing. I was expecting an exciting fighting with the flame thrower guy. But it ended with basically a cutscene. That was really weak ending.

I have rather lost interest in this game. I'm about halfway through, and got bored enough to start watching netflix instead. For a "sandbox" game, I haven't felt any real urge to go exploring. I just found myself plowing through, and letting other people drive the whole time. This city just feels monotonous.

Aww, no Witcher 2? Hopefully next week then! :)

When I first heard of this game and who was behind it (or at least partially behind it), I was expecting it to just be GTA, set in the 40's. Now having actually seen footage from the game I can say that I was pleasantly surprised.

I didn't accuse the wife of lying about the glasses because there's a difference between lying and simply not knowing the truth.

I really think the point of the lying accusation going over-the-top is simply to show what a mistake you made in your assumption. It's too easy to let you off with calmly telling her you found the old glasses and her explaining that she didn't know - that gives you your answer still despite choosing the wrong option. So, you choose the wrong option and Cole makes a wrong assumption, which leads to a horribly wrong course of action that hinders his case; this more accurately portrays a mistake I think.

Best Review thus-far! encore!

way more analysis this time, or perhaps i'm just fast enough to pick up on it by now, lol
it would be unfitting to skim review a detective game though wouldn't it :D

I got yelled at too for arresting the wrong Guy on that case. Pissed me off when I learned it was someone else too... feels bad man....

Nice Bill Hicks reference at the end, Yahtzee.

Now I'm going to be calling people who act like robots like Yahtzee did - by fusing numbers and letters in their last name. However, that's going to invite some particularly difficult challenges, especially if they're last names are longer than ten letters.

The entire time I watched the review I envisioned Yahtzee as inspector gadget because of his hat color.

WanderingFool:
I cant help but feel that Yahtzee will never find a game he loves... besides Saints Row 2...

What about Portal? What about Silent Hill 2? What about Prince of Persia: Sands of Time? What about Shadow of the Colossus, Batman: Arkham Asylum, BioShock, Psychonauts, Painkiller, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Thief: The Dark Project, or Fallout 3?

...Granted, most of those are games he grudgingly admitted to liking, but still, they're pretty much on the same level as Saints Row 2.

Im glad im not the only one who noticed how creepy the realistic faces look on not-so realistic bodies. The game itself is very nice.

Note to self: never watch a yahtzee review if I haven't completed the game yet. thank you for that flamethrower spoiler, I might have been pleasantly surprised.

If I have any complaint about the game, it's the street crime. When I'm cruzing around hollywood when suddenly I get a dispatch call for, say, shots fired, and the only way to respond is to drive for like 10 minutes all the way to the other side of the massive, samey map...

oh, or when I cap a suspect in the head, but the investigation afterwords shows bullet holes all over him. with no head wound. mfw.

Yahtzee... This is the absolute best review you ever did. You are absolutely right about the whole freaking flawed game mechanics. It's a stupid egg hunt show. It's nothing more than a freaking rock paper scissors game. It's nothing more than those stupid CSI games from a few years back, except with fancy graphics, great facework, and some pointless city driving. I find the most entertaining thing about the whole freaking game to ram my car into other cars and see the damage and see the other fuck step out of the car so I might get the pleasure of running them over. It's a mediocre game. It's nothing special. Fuck LA Noire and the marketeers who should have brought it out as an expansion pack to GTA. Fuck them and their mothers. Best review you ever did. Respect.

The fucking dagger of amon ra was better than this.

Nautical Honors Society:
Uh spoiler alert? Thanks...

Anyway decent review it seems like you actually really liked it.

By the way Noire is spelt with an "e" for the game because it is play on words. "Noire" is the feminine form of "noir", so it's supposed to be like La Noire and L.A. Noire.

Beaten to the punch.

I studied linguistics and have a good grasp of french, so yeah, this makes sense. Except for the fact tha "Los Angeles" translates (from spanish, in french there's no "los", but "les") to "The Angels" in the male genre so basically the title only works as a play on words but not at all on a grammatical sense. It probably relied on an American audience ignorance on french or maybe it is just true that it was originally a misspell they liked to keep.

E-Penguin:

DragonLord Seth:

Here ya go!

MB202:

WanderingFool:
I cant help but feel that Yahtzee will never find a game he loves... besides Saints Row 2...

What about Portal? What about Silent Hill 2? What about Prince of Persia: Sands of Time? What about Shadow of the Colossus, Batman: Arkham Asylum, BioShock, Psychonauts, Painkiller, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Thief: The Dark Project, or Fallout 3?

...Granted, most of those are games he grudgingly admitted to liking, but still, they're pretty much on the same level as Saints Row 2.

Not to mention Dead Rising 2.

The real faces robot bodies thing was the first thing I noticed about this game and I thought it would put people off, forgetting of course that shit heads will buy table tennis from Rockstar games. So even though I'm not playing, my brother pre ordered the thing and is enjoying it, though he seems to dislike the central protagonist.

honestly I really wanted this game to be good but the further into it I get the more I hate the story

coldalarm:

Falseprophet:

I think Los Angeles/L.A. is feminine, as are all cities in the French language, IIRC.

I'm pretty sure Los Angeles is Spanish, not French.

Sure, but the game isn't called "L.A. Negra".

Great episode. Oh, and what is mogworld like, because I'm thinking about buying it?

So was the comb on a bit of string a reference to the old Yahtzee adventure game, or is there an adventure game in more recent memory that has a comb on a bit of string?

Because I'm pretty sure he is taking the piss out of his own game if thats the case.

The trials of Odysseus Kent.

Good vid, my exact thoughts on the game as well. Hate the hand holding aspect, how can you feel like a detective if you are pointed to every clue? The game would be hard if it was left up to you also. Not sure how this could be dealt with in future games unless they had two modes. But then now they have the tech and face stuff sorted, the can put more time in everything for the sequel.

I figured I had better not watch this review until I beat the game, just in case our favorite limey decided to let loose with the major spoilers. But he didn't do that bad of a job.

Anyway, Yahtzee, you have a great point about the "Adventure Game Logic" to this game. I had massive flashbacks of playing Indiana Jones & the Secret of Atlantis while making my way through this game. There were many times, especially in the later cases, where I was like "What do you want me to do?!" Particularly this one arson case where that game was going to stick me talking to that neighbor UNTIL THE END OF TIME!

Bottom line, no shame in the occasional perusing a strategy guide on this one, folks. Other than that, great game.

shame this game dint come out for the pc. but maybe after a year or so it might come out for it. at least the GTA titles always did. i just hope that the optimization will be good. not like with GTA 3 were you have to install patches just to get it work. thats why i never got my self GTA 4 because it was poorly optimized for the pc that it had even trouble with ATI cards.

You also get circumstances where the guy you are interrogating clearly says something that contradicted stuff I accepted as truth that he said before, why won't Cole call him out on that.

The structure of the game is just too tight, you aren't allowed to ask a new question, you aren't allowed to go back to a scene or a house in case you want to check something again, and you aren't allowed to continue investigating even when its clear that the guy you just locked up was innocent, and you clearly know that if you went back to X place you could prove it.

Other than that, it's a solid game, it's certainly better in my opinion that the last few rockstar games (GTA4 and RDR), but then again, thats 3 games from 3 different studios, and Team Bondi was mostly independent from Rockstar.

JustaGigolo:
New drinking game.

Every time Yatzhee mentioned hitler in this review, take a shot.

Game on... >.>

OT: I giggled at the end of this video :') definitely picking this up!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here