Trailers: Deus Ex: Human Revolution: E3 2011

Pages PREV 1 2

epikAXE:

Pssst. Its Square Enix, not Ubisoft.

Just so you know

When I saw their logo a thought crossed my mind: aren't these the guys who do the FF-series? The one I'm totally uninterested in?

So, I went and googled 'square enix games' just for kicks. I'm not particularly excited with their list of past and future products.

GuiltBlade:

frederichvon:

No offense, but did you play the first one? I think everyone forgets how silly that game was, karkian's, greasels and aliens were almost immersion breaking for me. Nothing in Deus Ex HR looks ridiculous compared to the first one and IW. The 'ground pound' thing? I think its called the Icarus Landing System and employs a shock absorber to reduce the impact of long falls. Being able to land from very high falls would be very useful.
As for the whole 'the prequel is more futuristic than the original', its intentional , the first DE was how they imagined the future, things like flat screen tv's werent featured in the game for example, and the cyborgs were big clunking monsters. DE:HR is trying to imagine the future in a more contempory view point, which is why it looks a great deal more futuristic than the original and i think it makes a great deal more sense.

I understand that its the style and views from both a different team as well as a different period.

And yes Deus Ex is incredibly dated, so it is in need of some revamping (cyborgs especially with their strange blue metal augments).

I'm not sure where it ties into anything in DE, unless the evil cooperation/illuminati (probably) is developing its nanotech/perfect race plans in which case this will just turn into the same damned arguments and plots covered in Invisible war about destiny, free will and whats best for people.

I prefer this game if I look at it as its own unique title rather than part of DE.
The tone seems different, the stylisation is definitely different, plot that we've been shown is ridiculously wacky while its predecessors has wacky elements (like JC's ice fortress, the over-abundance of mad men with power) but the plot was reasonably sound and you can follow its logic.

It's not that I hate what I see. Its looks great, gameplay could be very interesting (although I would like to see more of things other than explosions and murder), plot I'll leave out to hang. But this looks like Square's take on the near future, not DE.

EDIT: Just went and found the 3 paths video, very action heavy in adaptive as well as in aggressive.

Stealth didn't look too bad, although I hope they don't rely on those instant take down cutscenes. A couple of gameplay trailers showed small environments with ridiculously stupid AI though, hopefully that's just demo material.

I think adaptive needs a lot of work, as it stands it looks like aggressive but with tech instead of guns.

Aggressive looks great for killing lots of people, and perhaps that's the new focus but as thief showed, its a poor agent/thief who kills everyone on their path to the objective.

I think the most likely flaw will be balancing, 1 trailer shows a fight with a large mech and the only option they showed was to blow it up with rockets. It needs to avoid the same mistake Alpha Protocol made.

well, reading the journalists impressions of the beta version (which was the first 10-12 hours) and they said that it succesfully captures the deus ex theme, is a lot more mature and better written and that the stealth was organic and very good and that non-lethal walkthroughs are activley encouraged. Athlough having said that they all agree that the cutscenes are god awful and not needed which is probably why there is a fair bit of negative reactions.

Telperion:

epikAXE:

Just so you know

When I saw their logo a thought crossed my mind: aren't these the guys who do the FF-series? The one I'm totally uninterested in?

So, I went and googled 'square enix games' just for kicks. I'm not particularly excited with their list of past and future products.

technically its mainly Eidos, Square Enix have bought out and merged Eidos. Square Enix are only really involved with the cutscenes

cke:
Why is it so yellowish-brown?
Remember how the firs game had more then three colours? What's the point of making hi-def textures and then covering them with a brown filter? This baffles me.

I do believe The gold and black vibe is meant to represent the best and worst of transhumanism and human augmentation.

frederichvon:

Telperion:

epikAXE:

Just so you know

technically its mainly Eidos, Square Enix have bought out and merged Eidos. Square Enix are only really involved with the cutscenes

I hope that you are right about that:

mad825:

frederichvon:

Telperion:

I hope that you are right about that:

actually that could of been a lot worse, the fact that it is FF 27 (the same year the games set in) ties it in with the fiction, as well as the fact it is designed to fit in with the cyber-renaisance vibe Eidos Montreal were going for. If it had the latest one in, i would be worried. But for what it is its a quite nod to square enix

I have a horrible knot in my stomach, just a feeling that this game will suck ass and i'll have to smother my copy of Deus Ex so it doesn't have to live with even more shame thanks to its children.

Irridium:
I really hope the final game doesn't have all the damn outlines on everything you can interact with.

It'd kill any and all form of exploration and discovery if it does.

They already confermed that those outlines are now optional.

OT: Im very exited... (I would include a picture of the SS officer from Inglorious Basterd, but I cant find it right now...)

I agree with the colour scheme comment.
An artistic stylisation is definitely important, but the world is not two toned.
An aesthetic theme needs to support the content not overwhelm it.
Its definitely providing a unified appearance but its overuse will eventually make it bland and unappealing.
Of course this is just what we've been shown so maybe there's more variety later.

As for Square? I am no fan of there games so I should probably hold my tongue, but I was never good at following my own advice. Having purchased a Western/European developer Square should learn to adapt and compromise on products they release otherwise they may as well have broken up Eidos and renamed all the assets to Squaresoft.
Please Square, you can be smart sometimes. Avoid the story, avoid the dialogue and for the love of the gods don't stretch it out too long.

(also nice little poster Easter Egg, I hope there's a few of Eidos's games in there too)

Mike-O:
GAAHHHHHHHH

That trailer destroyed my ever hope for the game. I, for one, don't give a shit about graphics, but they did seem sub-par.

Oh, a wall with outlines, I WONDER if it'll be able... oh it did blow up!

Gun fights, really many gun fights!

Fuck this game and fuck Ubisoft for ruining the DE name.

What...? If you want to blame someone, point fingers at Square Enix or Eidos Montreal. I recommend pointing at no one yet.

Also, you haven't seen shit yet. I think the game looks gorgeous. And how about you wait until you actually play the game and then judge whether Deus Ex has been ruined?

I for one didnt think much of the original DE anyway. It was fun but no the god of all games as some make it out to be. Also DE2 was great to play as well. I swear if we let fan boys make game choices we would still be playing versions of Pong as anything diffrent would be shit.

Unimpressed by the trailer, it just feels like all flash no substance.
Not a bad trailer really, couple nice things in there, but way too much action, in the original i barely ever got shot at, i could either talk, bribe or sneak my way past almost anything, or kill/incapacitate enemies before being noticed.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here