Trailers: Soul Calibur V: E3 2011

Soul Calibur V: E3 2011

The tale of the two swords continues in Soul Calibur V.

Watch Video

...Wow... The title announcer wasn't into it.

Other note*"goodbye mother"? Will we have someone with mommy issues now?

"Transcending quality and taste, a tale of swords and sequels, eternally re-sold."

I played the last Soul Calibur....Why do I need to buy this one with an annoying female and girly JRPG male (ManSonya)

The Soul Edge (whatever its a fighting game not here for story) looks all bad ass w/ that newly added skull

Was I the only one who thought "SHORYUKEN!!" during the finishing move?

Looks promising, if it's a lot more like Soul Calibur 3 in it's core design it's definitely worth a look.

Kind of sad that I'm more interested to see who the cameo characters are than anything else.

I hope that slowcam shit is just for promotional purposes and not actually part of the gameplay. It annoys me so much when devs put in stuff that messes up the pacing in fighting games.

That might as well be SC 4 footage as far as I can tell...

So other then SF4 style ultra combo attacks, what is to be excited about? It looks almost identical to SC4?

It does look almost identical to what SC4 looked like. so its not like they updated the graphics engine. STill I hope that their character creation, which I assume will return, will be more extensive this time and have more downloadable packs. I know they could have done more last time but they were lazy.

That looked exactly like Soul Calibur 4. Like, without that new character, I would have thought it was Soul Calibur 4 in an instant. And then be surprised when they said it was Soul Calibur 5.

Siege_TF:
Kind of sad that I'm more interested to see who the cameo characters are than anything else.

Same here. That was my first thought actually.

If there is one change I want in this new Soul Calibur, just one, it would be a weapon system more like Soul Calibur 2. It used to be so simple: Soul Edge (Will drain health, do 3x damage, give health back for each hit). Job done.
Soul Calibur 4 made choosing a different weapon such a chore, as you had to create duplicate characters, equip armour that could allow the weapon, thereby ensuring the character designs got ruined. Is it so much to ask that I just pick my character, pick my weapon and go?

here's hoping it won't suck

That was some terrible sound design in that trailer - it seemed like the music was chopping and changing all the time and the announcer couldn't care less. More like stuck together clips from gameplay of a modded SC4 than a trailer for SC5.

Well, that looked awful.

In every asepct.

Flashy scripted moves?

Are they ruining my beloved game even more??

How the announcer said 'Soul Calibur...' made me lol, as if he was saying:

"Soul Calibur... GET OFF THE DAMN TABLE NOW YOU STUPID CAT"

So is Soul Edge is like the new Ganon. It seems no matter how much it claims that Soul Edge get destroyed from the last game, it appear again in the next.

I do not like the insinuation that there will be Street Fighter esque Ultra moves, I felt Soul Calibur IV was pushing it with Critical Finishes.

If anything, my initial excitement that a fifth was afoot has been completely dashed by this trailer. No engine update, shocking writing still present (Goodbye Mother -.-) and "me too" mentality with SF and MK (X Ray) tested script moves.

I'm hoping it really impresses when proper gameplay videos kick in.

Who cares about new characters? Mitsurugi will be op as always and everyone will make a custom character with his fighting style anyway ;>

Ill probably still get it after the first price drop anyway because I love how fluid the combat in SC/Tekken is compared to the SF/MK combat, and the always cool rpg elements and customization they put into the game. No one can make fighting games like namco.

That was probably the most underwhelming trailer I've ever seen...

I played the crap out of SC4, and I really liked the character creation.

As long as Zasalamel and Amy are in the game, I'll be happy.

Does anyone really need another Soul Calibur?

Still a great fighting engine even if half the characters are unlikable soulless anime monstrosities. But it did give the option to create you're own, infinitely better characters so I'm still lookin' forward to this game.

Hate to say it, but not interested from the last couple trailers.

No Ivy, let alone in pre-SC3 glory and appearance (I hated her boobification and increasingly stripperific costumes in 3 and 4); not much improvement graphically and an obvious design towards style more than solid mechanics. Looks like more of the degradation of the series that's been continual since 2, and unless I see something that definitively displays otherwise before launch, I'll continue to stay uninterested.

Hmm...looks like Sohpitia's daughter and son are the main protagonist/antagonist this time around.

Wow, looks like the Escapist is really looking forward to this game. What an amazing group of positive and helpful comments collected here on the first page!

Seriously people, if you hate it that much, #1 why did you bother watching the trailer and #2 Disregard #1 and just leave. Honestly, I'm excited as hell for this game. The Soul Calibur series was never perfect, but it was always unique and I've emjoyed following the story of the two swords for the last....decade? Longer if you go back to the Soul Edge game.

Scarim Coral:
So is Soul Edge is like the new Ganon. It seems no matter how much it claims that Soul Edge get destroyed from the last game, it appear again in the next.

Exactly how it's always been! Soul Edge is enchanted with pure metaphysical plot magic bullshit, that allows it to fade in and out of existence/memory whenever it is convenient for not getting permanently destroyed and for surprising the complacent Disney-like peace of the world after it is gone... And I wouldn't have it any other way. :P just kidding.

Aside from that, story is irrelevant in fighting games, because their game-play style demands that the developers spend as much time as possible trying to balance the fighters techniques against each other, while still holding their own sense of individuality, which makes anything but the most extensive play-testing endeavors fail. Having spent their entire budget and schedule on this, they have to cobble together a cheap setting and motivation for their characters, that often reads like a fanfic, and may in fact be a total ripoff from a quick Google search.

But that's just me talking, I know jackshit about game development, so don't take my word for it! Lol!

Irridium:
That looked exactly like Soul Calibur 4. Like, without that new character, I would have thought it was Soul Calibur 4 in an instant. And then be surprised when they said it was Soul Calibur 5.

Siege_TF:

Ditto...mostly because I wonder what sort of crossover they are going to come up with this time in some thinly veiled attempt to rip off Capcom's need to cross over with everything.

Let's see...we've had Link, Heihachi, Spawn, Kratos, and the Star Wars peeps. I wonder who...?

*suddenly gets an image of a spiky haired RPG protagonist with a really big sword*

Oh GOD no...

Irridium:

Siege_TF:

Well to be honest it has not really evolved since Soul Blade. The only thing they have added is create a character and those Soul Crush things. Anyway they are still solid games if you like that gameplay.

Meh, severely underwhelming trailer. Needed more nightmare.

Anyway, I'm still going to look into it. It's been far too long since I've played a soul title.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here