Escapist Podcast: 005: E3, Duke Nukem Forever and Your Questions

Pages 1 2 NEXT

005: E3, Duke Nukem Forever and Your Questions

This week, we prepare for E3, discuss the meaning of Duke Nukem Forever and answer your comments and questions.

Watch Video

While I respect the fact you guys want this podcast to seem really casual and fun, perhaps the intro went a bit far this week. I would actually like to think you all got a job at the Escapist because of some unique training, insight, etc. But after the first couple minutes, it sounded like just a random group of stoners talking. Not your finest hour.

Don't use a 2-weapon system.

Susan! I miss you, Susan Arendt. Please make some thisisthevideosampletoourreviewofwhateveridon'tcare!

Would be cool if you could get you guys and Yahtzee together.

Avaholic03:
While I respect the fact you guys want this podcast to seem really casual and fun, perhaps the intro went a bit far this week. I would actually like to think you all got a job at the Escapist because of some unique training, insight, etc. But after the first couple minutes, it sounded like just a random group of stoners talking. Not your finest hour.

Eh. It's possible that the "fun intro" wears long sometimes. I definitely used one of the longer of the outtake clips this time, but since Justin didn't have a mic, I wanted to include the fun we had with his clapping.

That said, if you're genuinely so put off by 2 minutes of whimsy that the remaining 70 minutes of insightful and erudite videogame commentary fail to register, then perhaps you need to lighten up a bit. ;)

Russ Pitts:

Avaholic03:

Eh. It's possible that the "fun intro" wears long sometimes. I definitely used one of the longer of the outtake clips this time, but since Justin didn't have a mic, I wanted to include the fun we had with his clapping.

That said, if you're genuinely so put off by 2 minutes of whimsy that the remaining 70 minutes of insightful and erudite videogame commentary fail to register, then perhaps you need to lighten up a bit. ;)

No, don't get me wrong. I've listened to every one of your podcasts from start to finish, and this is really the first complaint I've had. I just feel like on a site such as the Escapist, there's just a slightly higher standard than what I would hear in random conversation. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was horrible or tasteless or anything, I just wanted to say from a listener point of view that it was bordering on an area you should stay away from, lest you lose some credibility. And hopefully that kind of feedback will let you know where the line is. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Avaholic03:

Russ Pitts:

Avaholic03:

No, don't get me wrong. I've listened to every one of your podcasts from start to finish, and this is really the first complaint I've had. I just feel like on a site such as the Escapist, there's just a slightly higher standard than what I would hear in random conversation. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was horrible or tasteless or anything, I just wanted to say from a listener point of view that it was bordering on an area you should stay away from, lest you lose some credibility. And hopefully that kind of feedback will let you know where the line is. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Yeah, feedback is great. Definitely, thanks for sharing. You've just touched on a very old gripe I've always had with working at The Escapist (that all of us have had since Day One, in fact): This sentiment that you can't be serious and have fun.

This office is stuffed with genius-level IQs who have all, for some reason, decided to work on a videogaming website. These are honestly the smartest people I've ever worked with - and the goofiest.

I'm glad people enjoy our hard-hitting commentary and insightful perspectives, but if the cost of being taken seriously is to never be allowed to have fun, then that's a cost I'm not willing to pay. ;)

-R

Russ Pitts:

Avaholic03:

Russ Pitts:

Yeah, feedback is great. Definitely, thanks for sharing. You've just touched on a very old gripe I've always had with working at The Escapist (that all of us have had since Day One, in fact): This sentiment that you can't be serious and have fun.

This office is stuffed with genius-level IQs who have all, for some reason, decided to work on a videogaming website. These are honestly the smartest people I've ever worked with - and the goofiest.

I'm glad people enjoy our hard-hitting commentary and insightful perspectives, but if the cost of being taken seriously is to never be allowed to have fun, then that's a cost I'm not willing to pay. ;)

-R

Hey 'd have to agree with the dude.A small group of gamers being pals is a lot more glorified until an outside party hears them.A bit of fun isn't all bad but there was some insane laughter in the begining that didn't translate well to me.

It would be totally epic if you guys could invite a feminist to join the podcast the next time you guys are discussing Duke Nukem.

I'm calling it now. Nintendo's next console is going to be named the Pii.

Hristo Tzonkov:
Hey 'd have to agree with the dude.A small group of gamers being pals is a lot more glorified until an outside party hears them.A bit of fun isn't all bad but there was some insane laughter in the begining that didn't translate well to me.

Fair point. I tend to prefer producing a podcast that's revealing of the casters' personalities as well as their opinions, but I agree that this can be taken too far. Feedback noted for the future ;)

-R

Russ Pitts:

Hristo Tzonkov:

Fair point. I tend to prefer producing a podcast that's revealing of the casters' personalities as well as their opinions, but I agree that this can be taken too far. Feedback noted for the future ;)

-R

I guess it's a common trait of overdoing it :D.

Russ, in all fairness you guys at the Escapist have done an outstanding job balancing professionalism with levity and personality. If anything this one instance of slightly oversteping the bounds of good taste is the exception that proves the rule. Sort of how one imperfection in an otherwise perfect game can make you notice how polished the rest of it is. But, it didn't help your case that later in the podcast you guys ripped DNF a new one for being so immature and out of place. Everyone has their own standards for what tone they are trying to go for, and I encourage you guys to not slip into a position of hypocrisy. Let me close by reiterating that the vast majority of times you do an excellent job, and obviously your success reflects that, so don't take this one gripe too personally.

Charmi the ninja:
It would be totally epic if you guys could invite a feminist to join the podcast the next time you guys are discussing Duke Nukem.

You mean an incredibly uptight priss? Because I think the average person who wants equality for females would just look at Duke and shrug. He's laddish hijinks in game form, the boy who chased girls around the playground holding a spider until the day his testicles kicked in. Railing against Duke feels to me like telling a teenage boy to stop thinking about girls as sex objects and instead think about the valuable contributions they will make in the workplace in a few years.

I think the podcast summarized about 75% of the game's buyers fairly well in their discussion: Nostaglic adults and people who want to get in on the joke of buying an iconic piece vaporware. And I'd wager most of the rest are just looking for a shooter and don't much care if it's Duke or Master Chief or Princess Kills-Your-Ass in the Land of Pink and Deadly.

Russ Pitts:

Hristo Tzonkov:

-R

<_> Hmmm...

That brings up an intriguing question. Can you have to much fun, and then by doing so ruin the fun of others observing your fun? I think that also relates to the question, "Can you have too much fun?"

:) Maybe you could ask at the next podcast; "Can a video game have too much "fun" in it, that it takes away from the other things a game needs to be great?" Me personally? I liked the chats you all have. It feels...real.

P.S. Nothing to do with the topic. I just wanted to state what I am always thinking when I comment(type/write).

I HATE SPELLING!!! You go to hell spelling! You go to hell and you DIE!! (In that order.)

Hristo Tzonkov:
I guess it's a common trait of overdoing it :D.

Too right.

Formica Archonis:

Charmi the ninja:

You mean an incredibly uptight priss? Because I think the average person who wants equality for females would just look at Duke and shrug. He's laddish hijinks in game form, the boy who chased girls around the playground holding a spider until the day his testicles kicked in. Railing against Duke feels to me like telling a teenage boy to stop thinking about girls as sex objects and instead think about the valuable contributions they will make in the workplace in a few years.

I think the podcast summarized about 75% of the game's buyers fairly well in their discussion: Nostaglic adults and people who want to get in on the joke of buying an iconic piece vaporware. And I'd wager most of the rest are just looking for a shooter and don't much care if it's Duke or Master Chief or Princess Kills-Your-Ass in the Land of Pink and Deadly.

<_> Princess Kills-Your-Ass in the Land of Pink and Deadly? Hmmmm....

Is it just me, or does that sound kind of awesome?

Also, since the game starts with Duke playing a video game about himself, while two girls give him a...."mouth hug", I do think trying to change how women are shown in Duke Nukem is kind of a hopeless cause.

However, I also think Charmi the ninja just wants to "see something burn". Nothing too wrong with that.;)

1:01:00 or so - "... what spearmen do..."
OMG, you mean the Wario Land series, right? Talk about golden oldies.

FEELIES! I loved feelies. I still remember Caveman Ugh-Lympics which had the most amazing packaging I've ever seen. (How far you have fallen, EA.) While the game itself contained an opening cutscene with real credits, the box had a set of developer bios in 'caveman talk' like "Gerg bash computer with club." (Translation: "Greg is a programmer." Yes, the name was misspelled.) and it included a one-sheet newspaper that was quite funny IMHO. (Pardon the occasional transcription error, and imagine it with simply-drawn pictures for photos. Must get mine from storage and scan the darn thing.)

(LGoP also had that scratch and sniff panel. Those feelies were classic B-movie gimmick all the way.)

You guys should have the video-makers again.

I want James, Bob, and Yatzee, together in a podcast. That would be AMAZING.

Bit grumpy you didn't talk about the ngp guys... Not like its a new system or anything. Why does everyone think the psp is redundant. Also I really don't see how sony could possibly not mention the hack

Woo I've been mentioned in the podcast 2 times in a row. If I go for 3 can I get a job at the escapist?

Imp Emissary:
<_> Princess Kills-Your-Ass in the Land of Pink and Deadly? Hmmmm....

Is it just me, or does that sound kind of awesome?

Thank you.:)

Futurenerd:
You guys should have the video-makers again.

I want James, Bob, and Yatzee, together in a podcast. That would be AMAZING.

Only if it was at an event like PAX where they're in the same room. Otherwise scheduling and lightspeed delay would make for the most stilted discussion ever.

I don't know, Nintendo might be onto something with that new console name:

Edit: On another note: charge less, and they will come.

Unlike some people apparently, I quite enjoyed the random banter and talking. Why people want everything completely serious and think you'll somehow lose credibility is crazy. I wouldn't even want "credibility" from someone who thinks having fun with is a bad way to go.

Question - What software are you using for recording your podcast?

Man I love these podcasts. A bunch of people seem to dislike the kind of...casual nature of your arguments and conversations but I really enjoy them, scripted discussions seem to loose a lot of their personality to me. Very tempted to get Pub club membership PURELY so I can download these and listen to them while Im working.

Yay they addressed my email... at length... thanks guys. That was awesome, curiosity satisfied.

I... LIKED Leisure Suit Larry. I mean, sure, it was button pushing for the sake of button pushing. But, also, it was pretty funny. Funnier than Duke Nukem anyways...

Charmi the ninja:

Not all feminists have a problem with Duke Nukem, my friend. Like, for example, me.

Twad:
Question - What software are you using for recording your podcast?

Nothing currently, we are using hardware to record. The podcast is edited with Sound Forge and Premiere. If you are looking for audio recording software, I'd recommend checking out Audacity. It's free too.

Oi, is this podcast on Itunes?

just wanted to say thank you for answering my question at the end there and way to mention GoG.com which is one of my favorite sites on the internet. I have 25 games on GoG and counting, some good examples on how digital distribution should be and Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft should be taking notes from them and Steam

Susan Arendt:

Charmi the ninja:

Not all feminists have a problem with Duke Nukem, my friend. Like, for example, me.

I know,I know, thats why i posted the troll-face :P

But in all honesty, I do agree with some of the concerns addressed by women about the game. Especially the complaints about the "capture the babe" mode and the "smack on the butt" feature.

Look, it fits in with Duke's character and all, but at the same time it represents a lot that i can't find humourous. Basically it sounds like you're taking a woman against her will, and then silencing her using sexual harrasment when she protests. Then again, maybe I could be mis-translating the intentions behind this feature, and it will actually be funny when I get to play this. Who knows? :/

Other than that little issue, I can't wait for this game!!

EDIT:
Well, I played capture the babe mode, and had a good lol. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Totally different from what I expected it to be. Capture the babe mode was fun - My argument is invalid.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here