Trailers: Ace Combat: Assault Horizon: E3 2011

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon: E3 2011

Revolution, conspiracy, and revenge feature in this trailer for Ace Combat: Assault Horizon.

Watch Video

It's nice to see that you can pilot helicopters, and that it's set in the real world vs. bizarro world.

Although I'm wondering how much they're going to make things like being a door gunner or an AC-130 gunner happen versus just flying planes.

I like my ace combat games but this just seems too call of duty. Ace Combat is supposed to be poetic, thought provoking, and doesn't need the creative limits of the real world. I am less then thrilled but i'll guess we'll see how it turns out.

hope none of those in the cut scenes are supposed to be the player I kinda liked being the silent guy of awsome.

Well I'm sold. Looks sick.

ryo02:
hope none of those in the cut scenes are supposed to be the player I kinda liked being the silent guy of awsome.

well in Ace Combat 5 the player character went through Pre-school enough to say "yes and no"

OT: wish it was in the Ace Combat world but whatever, it stays truer to the series than Duke Nukem...

Call of Ace Combat: Modern War Against Russians!

I know the old Ace Combat formula needed changing, but I really feel that this is a step in the wrong direction. Usea versus Belka was an excusable if thinly veiled allusion to most war scenarios, but once you start naming names it just becomes more of the same.

The fictional aspect was part of the charm, after all. "I'm flying an F-4 against F-22s and dominating them by the dozens, but that's okay; this is a fictional setting in an alternate universe where decades-apart aircraft are comparable to one another and missiles can be summoned out of thin air!"

You can either have mostly fictional or mostly nonfictional, and now that the setting aims to be more realistic I don't see how people will be able to look past the glaring inconsistencies.

dmase:
I like my ace combat games but this just seems too call of duty. Ace Combat is supposed to be poetic, thought provoking, and doesn't need the creative limits of the real world. I am less then thrilled but i'll guess we'll see how it turns out.

Yup, not really impressed by this. I didn't mind the over the top super-weapons, as the plot and characters made up for it. But this... playing as an AC130 gunner made me think "I wonder if they've been playing CoD MW too much". But seeing the (British accented?) skull mask guy made it reallyobvious.

Call of Combat:Modern Assault Duty Ace. Horizon seems like a more fitting title for this...

You know what they say? "You can take the game out of the Japanese Quirkyness, But you can't take the Japanese Quirkyness out of the game." Who says that, you ask? Shut up, I say.

Also: Suddenly, Stereotypes! THOUSANDS of them!!!

I really don't mind the change of setting. I was getting sick of defending fictional country A against fictional country B then going on the offensive and realizing everything was organized by old enemy C. Not that the mercenary is a jackass route is any less overdone.

I can't wait for this, the level of combat looks insane. To be honest, I don't care that it's set in the real world, though this may be because I only played one game in the Ace Combat fictional world (6: Fires of Liberation), though the 'copy/paste/name swapping' of the nations there weren't exactly inspiring in creativity.

MadMechanic:

dmase:

Yup, not really impressed by this. I didn't mind the over the top super-weapons, as the plot and characters made up for it. But this... playing as an AC130 gunner made me think "I wonder if they've been playing CoD MW too much". But seeing the (British accented?) skull mask guy made it reallyobvious.

Call of Combat:Modern Assault Duty Ace. Horizon seems like a more fitting title for this...

Not really. I've played this franchise since Ace Combat 4 came out. They've always had a fictional Russian antagonist (although it never seemed like it, that was the case), or even a German antagonist (Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War). They had AC-130s before, just not like that. There's also missions with B2 bombers. If they wanted to make a COD game, they would have made one. It's different. You actually fly the AC-130, rather than control the gunner. You actually can have control over the chopper gunner instead of shooting the gun. So it's not a COD copier. I've been waiting for them to put a chopper gunner for a few years. I hope this release is amazing, and the trailers look like so. :P

Trailer looks impressive, but any coherent/constructive thought in me is immediatly silenced by a loud "Mathildaaaaaaaaaaa!"

GrizzlerBorno:
You know what they say? "You can take the game out of the Japanese Quirkyness, But you can't take the Japanese Quirkyness out of the game." Who says that, you ask? Shut up, I say.

Also: Suddenly, Stereotypes! THOUSANDS of them!!!

And you wanna hear the pathetic bit? They have included this 'Optimum' control feature where the players can't even fucking roll the aircraft themselves. They're really nerfing it for the CoD kiddies, so to speak.

And I'm guessing there'll be no fictional experimental aircrafts.

Edit: How about featuring an Su-47 or a PAKFA T50?

Raiyan 1.0:

depends on if there's one in development. the F22 probably got included in the last game as it was either just coming into service or just announced so looks good as a futuristic fighter. Whereas now designers are looking more at UCAVs than manned fighters so there might not be as much of a choice unless they want to go down that route in the game of remote piloting (which i think wouldn't be as good).

OT: looks good, as long as they keep the aircraft choices as open as before i'm happy, been looking to get the last one again but now i think i'll just wait till this ones out.

Yeah; these games always seem to try wayyy too hard with their stories. Oh well, as long as they keep up the awesome gameplay, I'll keep buying them.

Karma168:

Raiyan 1.0:

depends on if there's one in development. the F22 probably got included in the last game as it was either just coming into service or just announced so looks good as a futuristic fighter. Whereas now designers are looking more at UCAVs than manned fighters so there might not be as much of a choice unless they want to go down that route in the game of remote piloting (which i think wouldn't be as good).

OT: looks good, as long as they keep the aircraft choices as open as before i'm happy, been looking to get the last one again but now i think i'll just wait till this ones out.

What are you talking about? The F-22 has been included in the Ace Combat series since the time it was called 'Air Combat' back in '95. They also included experimental aircrafts that never went into service - like the the YF-23 and Su-47.

And the keyword of my post was 'fictional'. AC always had fictional aircrafts in their titles - like the Falken, Cariburn, Sepia, Wyvern, Night Raven, etc. I'm not sure that you've actually played any of the previous AC titles...

Ace Combat goes COD.

Still excited for this though. AC 4, 5, and Zero are all amazing games.

I like it! First off it still has that unmistakable emotive soundtrack that's present in the previous Ace Combat games and that sets the mood a plenty.

Plus Ace Combat Joint Assault was set in our "reality" but it still managed a quirky storyline with the usual "super weapon" plot point. Co-op was a boon to it too and I dunno if I should hold my breath for it to be included with this 'un but regardless..it would be nice to follow the story through with a friend online.

And finally in regard to it being akin to COD...well I've found the stories in Ace Combat were that; actual stories with proper characters and twisting story lines instead of insisting on itself like the MW series with it's twists randomly thrown in for the shock effect alone with a means-to-an-end mentality. I still don't feel like playing the airport level and will skip it.

I'm in two minds about this.

First off, i'm squeeing all over the place over a new Ace Combat, and one that looks so fast and action packed.

On the other hand, i already miss Strangereal with all it's super weapons and awesome plane tech.

Don't get me wrong, i've already pre-ordered it but it'll make me have a little pang of sadness that everything has changed.

I can forgive all these changes just as long as it's better than 6. Seriously.

4, 5, and Zero were all amazing games during my PS2 days and I was really burning for a nex-gen iteration. Then, BAM. AC 6 is XBOX only! Why? Because. That's why.

I was quite peeved, to put it charitably.

Then I finally get a 360 a few months ago and realized I can FINALLY play the long awaited (for me) AC 6. And lo and behold that game was one of the most bland things I've ever experienced (and I've eaten military food, mind you). One of my biggest gaming letdowns. So this time I'm not getting my hopes up, but if this game can bring back the same kind of pacing, depth, and passion of the PS2 games, then all will be forgiven (mostly).

Oh god no... I have a bad feeling this is going to ruin the franchise, almost the same way HAWX2 was a disappointment by copying Modern Warfare.

AC gunner? Check
Chopper gunning section? Check
Nuclear explosion killing choppers? Check

...All thats left is that section in HAWX2 where you have to control a stupid drone, and avoid being shot down while controlling said drone, whilst having nearly no control over your aircraft (not the drone).

Yeah I'll Stick with Call of Combat:Modern Assault Duty Ace Horizon .

I am disappoint.

The last flight sim i played was Chuck Yeager's Air Combat, back in '91 haha

The last flight sim i played was Chuck Yeager's Air Combat, back in '91 haha

Hopefully they can (still) get the combat right, I hope :D

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook