Trailers: Dead Island: Begins

Dead Island: Begins

What will you do when the outbreak begins?

Watch Video

It looks fun. I also hope it's more than Dead rising meets Far Cry.

Ugh, gotta say I'm not a massive fan of the stereotypical black guy that swears every other word.

Other than than that, it looks interesting.

First non sequel I've gotten excited about in quite a while.

I felt let down after I heard there weren't going to be any children zombies. It's the least they could have done after the original trailer. Still looks pretty good though.

Daystar Clarion:
Ugh, gotta say I'm not a massive fan of the stereotypical black guy that swears every other word.

And a mean drunk to boot.

Team Hollywood:
Dead Island: Begins

What will you do when the outbreak begins?

Watch Video

Oh, come on. Why do we always have to ruin melee-oriented games by allowing every character to become an expert knife-thrower (or worse, machete-thrower)? It's one of the least practical uses of a weapon, even in the real world, and just being able to hit a target with the blade from a medium distance requires a lot of practice and training. It's not an improvised weapon.

But also... does anyone else think they maybe borrowed/bought a lot of art assets from Just Cause 2? It looks more like that than Far Cry, even.

(Oh, and probably a bad move, after the whole "hanging man" debacle, for their first featured black character to be such a raging stereotype.)

Well it does look nice.
But all that melee customization and weird weapons makes me think it'll be hard to focus on the drama (as the trailer showed, there was some in it). But I'm pretty sure the game is more violent and fun than dramatic and thought-provoking.
Anyways, I'm hoping it'll be a good game.

Daystar Clarion:

Wow, ninja'd. I'm not racist but I can already tell that I'll hate that character.

Anyone else think the gun animations looked horrible?
Aside from that the game looks pretty awesome.

@Senor Smoke21: I don't think there's been much emphasis placed on gun combat in this game, if I remember the developer comment vidoe correct.

Have to admit though, this is probably the first zombie game I've had any interest in for a long time (unless you count Dead Space)

It's nice to see the "timeline" of the marketing back on track. I was worried after the second trailer.

See, when the first trailer came out... well, I don't need to remind anyone here what happened. It was brilliant, it was a sensation, &c.

Then the second trailer came out, the one that was just some grainy postcard photos inter-cut with split-second shots of zombie stuff, and I was skeptical. Shouldn't they have come out with some actual gameplay footage for the next appetizer, instead of giving us more of the same? I was worried that they were out of ideas, that the game was going to be just another Resident Evil clone on a tropical island, and they just didn't want to admit it.

Apparently I wasn't the only one who thought so, because they next came out with the "walkthrough" trailer, which was fucking awesome. I appreciated the first trailer as an artistic achievement, but the narrated walkthrough actually made me want to play this game (which was astounding, since I am not exactly secretive about my disdain for zombie games and zombie movies and zombie comics and zombie EVERY FUCKING THING ELSE).

And now they come out with this trailer, which is basically (I assume) a super-enhanced version of one of the characters' opening cinematic, spliced with some "prettied-up" gameplay footage, right on schedule.

So maybe the second trailer was just a fluke, or they learned their lesson or something.

more excited about this as an evolution in story telling in video games than about the idea of another zombie shooter.

Well it's settled. I'm definitely sold on this one.

Although I will say this: This looks like the House of the Dead Ewe Boll wished he made.

This just looks like my last holiday in bennidorm.

Dastardly:

melee-oriented games

Is it just me, or do you feel like its not even melee oriented anymore? Every other bit of gameplay showed a gun of some sort. I feel let down by that. We were promised that guns would be a rarity, to up keep with the idea that we're on a beach resort gone bad. Why would there be shotguns and assault rifles lying around the place? Unless the army has been involved. But then, why would they suddenly be killed and we haven't been, but been able to steal their weapons...

Leave me to my ponderings...

Oh and incase anyone was wondering, September 6th, i'm gonna be in the shop buying this bad boy.

Andrew_Mac:

Dastardly:

melee-oriented games

Is it just me, or do you feel like its not even melee oriented anymore? Every other bit of gameplay showed a gun of some sort. I feel let down by that. We were promised that guns would be a rarity, to up keep with the idea that we're on a beach resort gone bad. Why would there be shotguns and assault rifles lying around the place? Unless the army has been involved. But then, why would they suddenly be killed and we haven't been, but been able to steal their weapons...

Oh and incase anyone was wondering, August 1st, i'm gonna be in the shop buying this bad boy.

It's starting to look more and more like a zombie hunting game, rather than zombie survival. That's disappointing.

Dastardly:

Andrew_Mac:

Dastardly:

melee-oriented games

Oh and incase anyone was wondering, September 6th, i'm gonna be in the shop buying this bad boy.

It's starting to look more and more like a zombie hunting game, rather than zombie survival. That's disappointing.

You know... you're right, it does. I was thinking it would be, oh, you are a lone survivor, everythings trying to kill you, you have 1 knife, go try and live. But it does seem more like a game like dead rising (which isn't a bad thing, just not what i expected)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here