The Big Picture: Going Green: Part I

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Going Green: Part I

With only two weeks left until the movie, MovieBob sheds (mostly green) light on The Green Lantern.

Watch Video

Wow green lantern has a pretty confusing story? How the hell do people keep up with all that. One video and I'm confused

Another great episode... Cant wait for the Superman one!

What a cliffhanger, can't wait til next week.

Thanks for shedding some

light

on this subject.

Wow... the fact that fanboys won DOES scare me. I must know how they did it now!

Yeah, this is fucked. Every time I get excited about it I read about it for 10 min and realize that everything there is fucked up. RAINBOW RINGS FTW.

Not so much a big picture as much as a f.y.i. about the situation but still, I like this.

Could someone explain to me how this buisness with the colors really works?
I mean with superman it is like "Here is Cryptonite!" "Blarg" is it the same way with the green guy and a yellow shirt?

I would love to know how HEAT got started considering that there was no internet at the time.

While I did know about Hal history (including that Alan Scott snippet) although I didn't know how the fanboys won (that probably explain what happen to Hal after he killed himself) so I will checking part 2 for sure.

Damn. I mean, I preferred Hal to Kyle as well, but not to that degree. Hell, I kinda like Kyle. Also, for some lulz, please at some point mention to "woman in the refrigerator." Nice to see a good bit of elaboration before the new movie comes out.

holy freaky deaky dude!
and I thought I encountered some hard core fanboys/girls!

and here i was thinking doctor strange was weird. nah i love green lantern... and green arrow. Actually my favorite color is green and when i was introduced to comics as a small child my small child mind naturally gravitated toward heroes using my favorite color. actually looking foward to next week.

*head asplodes*
Um... I'm confused... like, REALLY confused...
But I'm pretty sure the GL/Alien crossover was much more confusing.

This shit is fascinating. I really like the way Bob tells it.

lol with a title like "Going Green" I though for sure youd bring up the Stan Lee rendition of the Green Lantern. The one that was powered by the earth spirit and was therefore a literally "Green" Hero.

I don't quite get the problem with the longtime hero going nuts/genocidal for fairly well-justified reasons,

Seemed like clingy fans seeing too much of themselves in a story with no relation to them. Possible lesson here: egotism is not your friend. (forgive the wording)

I would've made a good Comic fanboy

HankMan:
Thanks for shedding some light on this subject.

Wrong color...

Well, you can color me interested, I want to see what happenes next.

dex-dex:
holy freaky deaky dude!

Ain't no fanboys like right wing fanboys dex.

WanderingFool:

HankMan:

Wrong color...

Light's real color is white
And that doesn't show up very well against this background as you can see.

HankMan:

dex-dex:
holy freaky deaky dude!

Ain't no fanboys like right wing fanboys dex.

and there is a reason why I don't live in America.

HankMan:

WanderingFool:

HankMan:

Wrong color...

Light's real color is white
And that doesn't show up very well against this background as you can see.

I meant this color...

I've been watching to much Linkara. When you said the 90's and flashed a comic page before going to the Wrestler pic, I immediately thought "Oh no, Linefeldt!"

Yay! A comics are weird episode.
What a treat :D

And another one upcoming; wheeee!

I'm beginning to think Bob needs to stop doing movie reviews and start doing comic book commentary more regularly. This stuff is deliciously insane.

Ok, HEAT may explain why Hal was brought back at all. Cause seriously, i hate that guy, Kyle is so much more interesting.

Oh, cliffhanger Bob! Cliffhanger! How can ya do that to us!?

What the. How the...

This episode made my brain hurt. Paid advertisements to protest a fictional storyline?
Ive stood up for my beliefs, hobbys, etc. but thats just taking it to a whole new level. I mean, seriously.

Good episode. Now I really want to see part 2.

Exterminas:
I mean with superman it is like "Here is Cryptonite!" "Blarg" is it the same way with the green guy and a yellow shirt?

The green ring is powered by "will power" and the yellow ring powered by fear. When someone is afraid they loose control of their will since they are forced to respond to the fear and the fear alone. That's the modern day explanation, the original reason is that the power rings contain a "yellow" impurity which stops them working against yellow things.

I've read the majority of modern day stories, the one's after the Emerald twilight mentioned in the video (Rebirth to Blackest Night) and personally I do find Hal Jordon the best of the green lanterns. A personal highlight is when he punches Batman in the face.

I LOVE this episode mainly because I've been reading Green Lantern since I was little. XD Also...Hal is awesome. But HEAT is scary...=3

Exterminas:

Ok, to my cursory knowledge of the Green Lantern continuity, it all begin with this race of near-omnipotent beings that could access a special energy based around emotional state from within themselves. There were 7 emotional "spectrums" that mirrored that of the visible light spectrum. Red- rage/anger, orange- avarice/greed, yellow- fear, green- willpower, blue- hope, indigo- compassion, violet- love. There are several qualities of the specific spectrums, such as Red and Violet being the most unstable because their closest to the edge, etc. etc. but I'm not getting in to that. Later there's also black and white parts of the spectrum, mirroring death and life but that's a story for another day. Each one of the spectrum works differently in conjunction with another part of the spectrum. For example, green light is boosted by that of blue light, and weakened by yellow. Because of this, Hal Jordan was susceptible to Yellow Lanterns, like Sinestro.

I grew up a Kyle fan, as I wanted to be an artist as a kid. He was really the only DC character I read (over Batman, really. Knightfall was happening around the same time, I think - that's another episode).

I don't think HEAT really won. Kyle was around for a decade, and he's still around now and kept interesting in his own right. And Hal took a back step to John Stewart for awhile before, so a different torchbearer wasn't that different.

What DC really got out of it was lots of publicity and Geoff Johns's knack for putting broken continuity back together while making it relevant. I liked Rebirth, but The Sinestro Corps War was so much better. Didn't get into Blackest Night though, but you know, comics are weird.

I know it's the nature of this show, but I really don't see this fanboy stuff as part of any "Big Picture" at all, and yet I watch this from time to time to see who's complaining about what.

No. It's not trolling try.

I must be coming from wrong part of the world (Europe) because each time there
is a "Comics are ... (something)" episode my:

I...
DON'T...
CARE...

sign pops up.
I'm not criticising material or something. It's just a statement of lack of interest.
Anyone feels the same or... It is I who needs help? :)
BTW... Funny enough I still enjoy watching the show even if topic doesn't float my boat.

Also...
I must give one thing to comic books. I don't know what authors are smoking but I want it too.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here