E3: Kotick Casts Doubts on Battlefield 3 Console Cred

Pages 1 2 NEXT

E3: Kotick Casts Doubts on Battlefield 3 Console Cred

Activision boss Bobby Kotick thinks Battlefield 3 looks pretty good for a PC title but seems to have some doubts that it will be able to run with the big boys on consoles.

Battlefield 3 has been getting a lot of very positive preview press as its release later this year grows ever closer and Electronic Arts has made no secret of the fact that it's aiming for a head-to-head showdown between the DICE-developed military shooter and Activision's upcoming Modern Warfare 3. But there's one guy out there who's determined to be a wet blanket and of course it's Activision CEO Bobby Kotick, who made a point of expressing reservations about the game's console cred.

"So far I've only seen Battlefield 3 on a PC, I haven't seen it on a console where the bulk of our business is," he told CNBC. "If it's just a PC title, as it looks like today, that's just a small audience to participate."

"Modern Warfare 3 is the result of an enormous amount of audience research and it is what our tens of millions of players are saying they'd like to see in their next action experience," he added.

Kotick knows perfectly well that Battlefield 3 is not just a PC title but you can't really blame him for throwing a little cold water on the BF3 love-in. As a respectful and respectable CEO of the biggest videogame company on the planet he can't just come out and say that MW3 is going to stomp BF3's guts out, but a gentle zing, a nudge toward doubt, a little spear behind the play? That's just life in the big leagues, kiddo.

Battlefield 3 comes out on October 25 while Modern Warfare 3 hits on November 8, both for the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

via: Develop

See all our coverage directly from the show floor.

Wait a minute... The head of Activision says that Battlefield is mainly a PC game...?...

Yep im decided, Im getting this game in Limited edition now!

Says the man whose company makes most of its cash off the PC title World of Warcraft.

In all seriousness, Rock Paper Shotgun likely had it right when they said he's just trolling a bit, and trying to cast some doubt on the console versions. To implant in gamers minds a seed that the console versions of the game will be inferior, because of course he knows there will be console versions. He's not so willfully ignorant of the competition.

Ironically, as a PC gamer, this statement makes me want to buy BF3 more and MW3 less.

But I guess my money doesn't matter, since I'm in such a tiny part of the market.

Even as far as cross-corporate jabs. This one is pretty weak. Anyone with any interest in these games knows that they will be on all platforms.

Kotick does know his comapany is releasing the same game for the 5th time in a row, right?

Oh wow, the guys at activision are starting to realize that their bland, stale, overused FPS game isn't going to hold up to DICE's Flagship returning for the first time in 5 years, and are starting rumors like middleschool girls.

BF3 on whatever platform is going to far superior to MW3. I'm getting it on 360 and PC and skipping MW3.

Battlefield, or any other game for that matter, will never take down COD until it runs at 60FPS on consoles.

Devs need to stop mimicking COD's aesthetics and features and start mimicking it's responsiveness and tight control mechanics.

I'm guessing Respawn will be the team to do it, maybe on Id's sexy new Rage engine?

I guess we'll find out during that open beta they are doing. Although I can't think of any good that will come from that.

This is pathetic even for Kodick
He doesn't realize what he said. If a game is better than CoD on PC it will be better than CoD on consoles as well. Better graphics, bigger maps, more realistic, 32 players. I don't know why anyone would chose CoD over BF3 even on a console. But I'm sure Kodick will try to sabotage BF3 somehow.

Hey Bobby, remember that if it wasnt for PC gaming you wouldnt have had the cash cow COD series. But thats all well and good but thanks for letting me know that the next COD will be console crap and BF3 will be a PC title ported to consoles.

So you think that Consoles are more important than PC's to the Battlefield Series??

This is coming from a PS3 gamer, B3 WILL be better than MW3.

MiracleOfSound:
Battlefield, or any other game for that matter, will never take down COD until it runs at 60FPS on consoles.

Devs need to stop mimicking COD's aesthetics and features and start mimicking it's responsiveness and tight control mechanics.

I'm guessing Respawn will be the team to do it.

*While I'm all for tight response and controls, COD has gotten this way by playing it safe and doing the same thing over and over and over. This is the company that already has a Black ops 2, MW3, and sci fi Call of duty in the works.

Battlefield 3 will probably see fighting on a scale unseen on consoles... oh yeah, and A10 warthogs :D:D:D
Don't care if BF3 looked like piss on dirt, to have a decent FPS compared to the PC version, as long as it plays the same.
in fact maybe those bratty kids that are obsessed with graphics will steer clear of the game.

*Yes I realize this post is biased but I'm getting sick of COD and how popular it is when indie games get the shaft and are 1000% better.

Hehe, I didn't give him the "Dick of the week" award twice in a row for nothing.

Wow, Kotik...thanks for talking down to the PC gaming corwd once again..."If it's just a PC title, as it looks like today, that's just a small audience to participate."

I believe I will now completely wipe my hands of the CoD franchise and not even bother to rent the games anymore.

I can't take Kotick seriously anymore. I have to laugh at all the stupid crap that pours from his pie hole or face the alternative...raging over the shit he spews forth. So I choose to laugh at him and his delusions of grandeur.

Typical PC Gamer response: "LOLOL THAT IS GREAT BECAUSE PC GAMING AND PC GAMERS ARE BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY WAY! CONSOLE GAMING IS FOR FAGS AND BF3 IS THE BEST GAME EVER BECAUSE IT FOCUSES ON THE TRUE, BETTER GAMERS...PC GAMERS!"

Serious answer: I'm not even a PC Gamer and I think that's not really a knock. I prefered BFBC2 on the PS3, but if my piece of crap laptop can handle it, I might get BF3. I just generally prefer the Battlefield series to Modern Warfare, and BC3 might be the first game since TF2 and Minecraft that I'll actually go out of my way to get on PC. So the fact that it'll be better just makes me more comfortable in that decision.

I am buying battlefield 3 just because it isn't another COD. I hope they mop the floor with COD and force Activision to actually consider innovation. Then I want COD mop the floor with battlefield next year forcing Dice to do the same. This endless loop of progress and not cloning a franchise would be heaven to me.

So a guy, who is the head of a competing title, of a competing company, released at a competing time. Who's sole claim to fame is being a massive evil douche bag. Is throwing hate on another game?

To say I am not surprised would be beyond an understatement. I hope mw3 fails. I hope it fails hard.

Mr. Omega:
Typical PC Console Gamer response: "LOLOL THAT IS GREAT BECAUSE PC CONSOLE GAMING AND PC CONSOLE GAMERS ARE BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY WAY! CONSOLE PC GAMING IS FOR FAGS AND BF3 MW3 IS THE BEST GAME EVER BECAUSE IT FOCUSES ON THE TRUE, BETTER GAMERS...PC CONSOLE GAMERS!"

Fixed that for you, jeez you had a lot of typos. What tipped me off is generally PC gamers don't type in all caps and say "FAGS"

Wow Kotick, we can smell your fear from here. Last year, he wouldn't even say "battle" and "field" in the same sentence, let alone acknowledge any other modern shooter in the FPS genre
oh and the

"Modern Warfare 3 is the result of an enormous amount of audience research and it is what our tens of millions of players are saying they'd like to see in their next action experience,"

really amounts to removing the tactical nuke, and add destructible environs. Next thing, he;ll add jeeps tanks and heli's and call it innovation
professional troll? = professional

Coming from the guy who stated that Bungie was the only indie developer in the industry which can develop high quality games.

That man is a twit.

I don't know Kotick. Battlfield has 4 player campaign co-op (right?). That's something Call of Duty could have used in Modern Warfare 3. It's not like you need to worry though. MW3 will still make an insane amount of money, and sixty dollars of it will be from me. However, Dice will be getting sixty dollars first, since their game comes out first. They beat you on that one. Still, it just means two things:

1) I'm going to have a lot of things to play this holiday season.
2) I'm going to be broke this holiday season.

heres a thought:
Maybe Kotick actually hates Activision and is trying to drive it into the ground or something. I dont know but what I do know is (though I've not really been into Battlefield franchise) the more time that passes the more I want BF3 more than MW3

Okay, Activision, you were coming close to getting off my black list, you were nice a for a moment, but no, why would you keep it up, let's release the Kotick! And to think i considered buying MW3.

People have to remember: this is a Battlefield game; it's home-ground is PC, but DICE did specifically say they wanted Battlefield to compete directly with Modern Warfare. MW3's main audience is the console market, so if they want to compete for that audience, then their main focus should be on consoles.

Hey, not that I'm saying they should; that's just retarded. Most of Modern Warfare's audience are brainwashed teens who'll buy anything with the word "Modern", followed by "Warfare" on the front cover, and defend it to the death, regardless of content. I'm just saying that that is the angle that Kotick is arguing from, and he's dead on the money.

QQ more activison. Fact is, PC gaming snubbed your pathetic useless gaming series :p just because you can't top ~1m sales on PC doesn't mean bc2 couldn't top 3m sales on PC alone, and that was just a console spin off. Imagine how much BF3 is going to sell on PC, at 4x more profit a pop too on PC due to digital.

DICE are still going to be laughing all the way to the bank even if they only sell a couple thousand console copies. But they won't, they'll sell millions on all platforms because bf3 > mw3 in all ways on all platforms.

Ossian:

Mr. Omega:
Typical PC Gamer response: "LOLOL THAT IS GREAT BECAUSE PC GAMING AND PC GAMERS ARE BETTER THAN YOU IN EVERY WAY! CONSOLE GAMING IS FOR FAGS RETARDS AND BF3 IS THE BEST GAME EVER BECAUSE IT FOCUSES ON THE TRUE, BETTER GAMERS... PC CONSOLE GAMERS!" (Basic translation, but instead is written in a more snarky, arrogant, sarcastic manner, with 50% more of a poster's-head-up-his-ass attitude)

Fixed that for you, jeez you had a lot of typos. What tipped me off is generally PC gamers don't type in all caps and say "FAGS"

I corrected your corrections. And how could I forget that PC Gamers say "retards" instead of "fags"? I must be slipping in my old age...

Anyway, to add more to the thread discussion: Kotick is knocking the competition, in way that doesn't really work, making himself seem like an ass. Is there anything new here? Anyway, hyped up for BF3. And with CoD: Elite, that pretty much confirms that BF3 is only multiplayer-focused modern shooter I'm getting this year...

Phwwwf~!

Oh wait you're serious...

Ah Kotick you amuse yet irritate the hell out of me

MiracleOfSound:

I'm guessing Respawn will be the team to do it, maybe on Id's sexy new Rage engine?

Gotta agree with this statement.
When I ask myself why I have spent so much time playing the Modern warfares I often have a hard time coming up with a good reason. I don't care much about the leveling and the perks, the community is pretty horrid and the game has several features that are simply hopeless (Marathon, Lightweight, Commando comes to mind).
However, the game just feels right. It's crisp and responsive in a way that I hardly consciously notice.
That's a mark of perfection I guess. It's understated. I didn't even think about it until I tried playing Crysis and found myself longing for a more manouverable and agile tool between my hands.

I didn't know it ran at 60 fps though. Guess that explains why Forza feels so good too.

I'm pretty sure it's just because the game looks prettier on the PC. They're trying to put their best foot forward and top of the line PC graphics are breath taking. It really could be that simple.

kotick is in a very different position to the guys at dice. kotick will have to be able to make sure the cod franchise is still selling bugger tons whilst not being particularly good or bad whilst the dice guys seem to be aiming for both quality and the big bucks. i hope dice gets both and hopefully companies will start following there lead rather then activisions.

Remember when Activision "thanked" EA for drumming up sales of COD by talking about it all the time?

... and now Activision is talking about Battlefield?

EA should totally thank them. :D

'OMFG the word 'Kotick' is in the name! I must make sarcastic comments and pledge to buy whatever game he's not involved with!'

Did anyone even read what Kotick just said? His doubt comes from the lack of console footage. Given that EA higher ups have been shouting from the rooftops that they're going to take down COD (at least twice now, and failed) they might want to provide footage for the main audience COD targets, i.e. console gamers. The Battlefield footage could be broadcasted on the most powerful PC in the world but how would that translate to the current gen console hardware (i.e. the position COD draws in the most profits)? We don't know and thats why he's questioning it.

If he wanted to piss on everyone's bonfire he'd have just said that regardless of any effort from DICE/EA, COD would beat BF3. Here, it sounds more he made like a sensible judgement; that BF3 is currently targeting (whether you like it or not) a small portion of the overall audience, and hasn't demonstrated how it performs for the larger audience (360 and PS3). When the xbox and PS3 footage comes out, then he'll shout his claims and then you can express you disdain for the man.

I currently have both BF3 and MW3 pre-ordered for PC, of all frigging platforms. You can start calling me a biased numbskull now.

ImprovizoR:
This is pathetic even for Kodick
He doesn't realize what he said. If a game is better than CoD on PC it will be better than CoD on consoles as well. Better graphics, bigger maps, more realistic, 32 players.

Better graphics: No. Transfer a DX11 game back to DX9 (xbox hardware) and then whatever version of OpenGL the PS3 is running, and making sure their hardware can run it. It will not look exactly the same simply because the PC is the lead platform. What does make the graphics better is optimisation, and how the team handles it.

Bigger Maps: Thats on a concept level; Theres not reason why a console (esp. today) can't run BF2142 sized maps (and they are fucking huge). It depends on the hardware and how well optimised the map is.

More realistic: Concept. Theres no reason why a piece of hardware makes the game 'more realistic' aside from varying graphical fidelity. It is dependant on the style and feel of the game.

32: Concept. Also, more does not mean better; 32 sure works on BF because its huge, but try even 18 players on maps that aren't designed for this, like Rust, any Arena map in TF2, even Nuketown becomes a mess. Also depends on the services that Xbox Live and PSN provide.

I don't know why anyone would chose CoD over BF3 even on a console. But I'm sure Kodick will try to sabotage BF3 somehow.

Because people have varying tastes? Because one is focused on tactics and strategy, the other is simple and fueled by adrenaline? Neither game is terrible and they both fit popular tastes so what exactly is the problem? Do you consider yourself more intelligent because you play a certain game? Consider other people retards because they play a certain game?

I've yet to see reports of Kotick sabotaging anything related to any battlefield game. Whilst this is an open opportunity, I've yet to imagine a feasible plan he could go with to demolish the success of BF3.

Get one, get the other, get both, or STFU.

What a dipshit, but it's not like I ever pay attention anything this corporate goon says. We'll see soon...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here