Trailers: Star Trek: E3 2011

Star Trek: E3 2011

Young Spock and Kirk fight together to beat the odds in Star Trek

Watch Video

Why do I keep getting the impression Star Trek really really wants to be Star Wars? Or maybe Mass Effect.

Ifthis... game... is not the-greatest sci-fi... action adventure to... ever-grace consoles, It-will be a... total KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

I am sure it will be terrible - but the trekkie in me hopes

Looks a bit too whizz-bang-shooty-explosions to be a Star Trek game. Seems like it's trying to be Mass Effect with Spock and Kirk. I swear if this game has writing one drop less high quality than Mass Effect though, it's not going to hear the end of it. It is a Star Trek game, after all.

That said, it is only the first trailer so they could just be wanting to show off the fancy bits first to get people interested. Can't really show off good writing in a one minute teaser.

It's Dead Space... IN SPA..oh wait.

Star Trek as a gaming license is officially the new Sonic the Hedgehog.

Double post of doom......

Ukomba:
Why do I keep getting the impression Star Trek really really wants to be Star Wars? Or maybe Mass Effect.

Yeah, totally looks like Mass Effect on the Enterprise.

When I think of old Star Trek, first gen, I think of space ship battles and lizard fighting. Not fast paced cover shooting.

explosions and special effects are not what made star trek great.

I think Star Trek has lost it's way. And I imagine Gene Rodenberry is spinning in his grave.

It might be terrible and a total letdown of the franchise... I dunno... but damn me if that isn't one of the best soundtracks ever. I watched it twice just for the soundtrack!

As much as I love Star Trek, it looks like the developers just saw how successful Mass Effect was and decided to paste a ST skin over it.

Yeah... no. Just, no. Bad Crytek!

A Star Trek game should be about space combat with occasional on-foot missions or ship's interior defenses, not the other way around.

NO NO NONONONONONO. This is not Star Trek. To explore strange new worlds, new aliens and new civilizations, to boldly go were no man has gone before,that is Star Trek. It is not 3rd person shooter #234567.

I wonder if you'll have to exchange thermal clips in your phaser?

Using the Mass Effect style COULD still work for a Star Trek if they did this right. Assemble an away team with a cross-section of skills (Medical Staff, Research, Engineers, Security, etc), explore unknown situations that don't necessarily have to end in combat if you can determine what the situation is before things go out of control.

ME 1 had planetary exploration, afterall. If the Star Trek game's approach was to have encounters with aliens be potentially something other than "shoot somebody in the face" and "a cow steals your money", you could remain true to Roddenberry's vision. Of course, it might not always be POSSIBLE to end certain encounters peacefully. If I had a say in the development, there'd be at least one time where two possible dialogue options would be "We come in peace" and "Shoot to kill".

You could also modify the Paragon/Renegade meters to determine how much or how little your captain piddles all over the Prime Directive. Do you follow the Prime Directive or save that infant who's about to burned alive as a sacrifice? What happens if a crew member says "Screw the Prime Directive, they can damn well court martial me!" and intervenes against your orders?

Heck, imagine, instead of Paragon and Renegade, they had Starfleet Integrity and Crew Integrity? Order your crew to let the infant be burned, and kill the mutinous crew member, and your Starfleet Integrity goes up while Crew Integrity drops. Some decisions could gain points in both, and other decisions could lose points in both. Flout Starfleet directives too much and you could get relieved of command. Infuriate your crew too much, and their stray shots might get steadily closer to your back during a firefight...

Of course, this is almost certainly going to be an action game where the developers will feel that the Star Trek label means that they don't need to break new ground (or do any substantial QA testing), but there's always a CHANCE that this could be good.

Hopefully the developers will forgive me if I don't pre-order this one, though.

huzzar, a star trekgame that looks like a moive tie game for the next star trek moive....

A Star Trek game by Crytek.....interested, but wary.

Its based on the new film universe.

Oh, that's a shame.

Wake me up when they make a new Bridge Commander.

canadamus_prime:
And I imagine Gene Rodenberry is spinning in his grave.

I think Gene Rodenberry's been spinning ever since Rick Berman took over after his death.

This seems pretty bland TBH. Just looks like another cover based shooter trying to cash in on the Star Trek brand. When is a company going to make a great in depth RPG set in the Star Trek universe?

Adzma:

canadamus_prime:

I think Gene Rodenberry's been spinning ever since Rick Berman took over after his death.

No doubt about it. Although it hasn't been all bad, Rodenberry's original vision has certainly been lost somewhere along the line. And with J.J. Abram's film (and consequently this upcoming game) I think they found it again and then took it out back and shot it, beat it, and left it for dead.

So it's basically a licensed Mass Effect?

I'll give it a look when it comes out, I'm a little interested, especially if it has split screen co-op, hopefully. I think it has potential.

Delta Force was an ok 1st person shooter, so 3rd person shouldn't be that much of a streach right?

SouthpawFencer:
I wonder if you'll have to exchange thermal clips in your phaser?

Using the Mass Effect style COULD still work for a Star Trek if they did this right. Assemble an away team with a cross-section of skills (Medical Staff, Research, Engineers, Security, etc), explore unknown situations that don't necessarily have to end in combat if you can determine what the situation is before things go out of control.

ME 1 had planetary exploration, afterall. If the Star Trek game's approach was to have encounters with aliens be potentially something other than "shoot somebody in the face" and "a cow steals your money", you could remain true to Roddenberry's vision. Of course, it might not always be POSSIBLE to end certain encounters peacefully. If I had a say in the development, there'd be at least one time where two possible dialogue options would be "We come in peace" and "Shoot to kill".

You could also modify the Paragon/Renegade meters to determine how much or how little your captain piddles all over the Prime Directive. Do you follow the Prime Directive or save that infant who's about to burned alive as a sacrifice? What happens if a crew member says "Screw the Prime Directive, they can damn well court martial me!" and intervenes against your orders?

Heck, imagine, instead of Paragon and Renegade, they had Starfleet Integrity and Crew Integrity? Order your crew to let the infant be burned, and kill the mutinous crew member, and your Starfleet Integrity goes up while Crew Integrity drops. Some decisions could gain points in both, and other decisions could lose points in both. Flout Starfleet directives too much and you could get relieved of command. Infuriate your crew too much, and their stray shots might get steadily closer to your back during a firefight...

Of course, this is almost certainly going to be an action game where the developers will feel that the Star Trek label means that they don't need to break new ground (or do any substantial QA testing), but there's always a CHANCE that this could be good.

Hopefully the developers will forgive me if I don't pre-order this one, though.

The more I read this, the more I think "Shit, Mass Effect IS Star Trek in space, I mean, in some other space."

If you ignore the Star Trek logos and such it looks like a DLC "new people" campaign for Mass Effect

>_> Don't shoot me, it just looked like that to me.

SouthpawFencer:

maybe you could get more missions by having more starfleet integrity or get better officers but crew integrity could give you a crew more willing to take a bullet (literally) for you or more willing to volunteer for dangerous missions and dissagree with you less

perhaps there could even be an ending where you and your crew do something amazingly brave but completely against starfleet orders (save a planet or something) and an ending where you get decorated by starfleet for outstanding service for following starfleet orders

To be honest, it looks like it's trying to be like Mass Effect too much. And clearly they've had to make the game much more action packed than the series otherwise you would die of boredom.

I'd have to see the final product to really have a proper opinion, but from the trailer, Mass Effect 1 and 2 both look more complex and more enjoyable to play. And, Mass Effect 3 comes out late this year OR next year, not sure which yet but I think it will be 2012. So if they release not too far apart, Star Trek will be crushed unless the fanboys pull together.

We'll see though, a mainstream game coming out to represent such a huge franchise is a risk. They will need to pull it off otherwise it could be one of the final nails in the coffin for Star Trek.

Or it could turn into Star Wars, which throw out tons of games, at a reasonable level. Nothing breathtaking though.

canadamus_prime:

Adzma:

canadamus_prime:

No doubt about it. Although it hasn't been all bad, Rodenberry's original vision has certainly been lost somewhere along the line. And with J.J. Abram's film (and consequently this upcoming game) I think they found it again and then took it out back and shot it, beat it, and left it for dead.

Okay, totally false. DS9 was easily the best Star Trek and that was after Rodenberry. Seriously though, if there was a Star Trek game actually based off of the things established in series, I would cry tears of joy. It's a solid game concept too, to bad they won't use it...

BackwardsO:

canadamus_prime:

Adzma:

Okay, totally false. DS9 was easily the best Star Trek and that was after Rodenberry. Seriously though, if there was a Star Trek game actually based off of the things established in series, I would cry tears of joy. It's a solid game concept too, to bad they won't use it...

Ok if you'd been paying attention you'd have noticed the part where I said "Although it hasn't been all bad..." Perhaps you should read my post before jumping down my throat.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here