Trailers: Star Wars: The Old Republic: Eternity Vault

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Eternity Vault

Sith forces raid a huge prison as part of the war against the Republic in Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Watch Video

This reminds me of a raid from that other well known MMORPG.

This must be one of the high level Dungeons.Theu could have atleast showed us the boss fight.

So who is that ancient race that built all that stuff? I never heard of any precursors or something in Star Wars...

EDIT: The Rakatans, I was told enough times now. Shame on me for not remembering Knights of the Old Republic. It's been eight freaking years, I don't feel like memorizing stuff from the Star Wars extended universe that long.

GrimSheeper:
So who is that ancient race that built all that stuff? I never heard of any precursors or something in Star Wars...

the ratacens (not spelt right) from KOTOR where originally a large empire building race

GrimSheeper:

The Infinite Empire: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Infinite_Empire

Nice vid. I'm really looking forward to this game, I hope it can attract enough people to be commercially viable. I hope it doesn't try to topple WoW.

Quite a crappy trailer. Especially if you consider the last trailer, Return, which was really amazing.

That is a shitty trailer. Just compare that to Trion's "Waves of Madness" video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqa8_7JowcA&feature=player_embedded

Ya, HUGE difference. Trion's video looks epic and makes the enemy look deadly. Bioware's video for TOR looks lame and like they just oversized normally small droids for players to fight.

I'm confused... Is this just a Dark Side dungeon raid or is this an introduction for some overarching enemy that the Dark Side and Light Side must work together to overcome? I just don't see that happening.

jonyboy13:
Quite a crappy trailer. Especially if you consider the last trailer, Return, which was really amazing.

Yeah, that's because this was mostly gameplay instead of a FMV cinematic. The gameplay just doesn't hold up well on its own yet. Maybe when they finish polishing it post-alpha it'll look better.

2xDouble:
I'm confused... Is this just a Dark Side dungeon raid or is this an introduction for the overarching enemy that the Dark Side and Light Side must work together to overcome?

jonyboy13:

Yeah, that's because this was mostly gameplay instead of a FMV cinematic. The gameplay just doesn't hold up well on its own yet. Maybe when they finish polishing it post-alpha it'll look better.

Not because it's gameplay, because we didn't get any info or see anything special. All we saw are some Dark Side running and attacking random mobs while they say there is a prison with strong enemies.

Deathfish15:
That is a shitty trailer. Just compare that to Trion's "Waves of Madness" video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqa8_7JowcA&feature=player_embedded

Ya, HUGE difference. Trion's video looks epic and makes the enemy look deadly. Bioware's video for TOR looks lame and like they just oversized normally small droids for players to fight.

You're being a bit unfair here. They haven't released any other information on "Operations" yet, what we're seeing is only a small piece of the content.

Spacewolf:

GrimSheeper:

the ratacens (not spelt right) from KOTOR where originally a large empire building race

Fappy:

GrimSheeper:

You know, I thought the Rakatan Empire build their prisons to be these boxes in which a person's ego/mind is stored, turning their bodies into vegetables. The naming does sound like it's theirs, though....

2xDouble:
Maybe when they finish polishing it post-alpha it'll look better.

The game has been out of alpha for a long time now. In fact, there's been multiple closed beta runs now.

This video is just more of the same boring clunky gameplay all the gameplay videos have shown.

fundayz:

2xDouble:

The game has been out of alpha for a long time now. In fact, there's been multiple closed beta runs now.

This video is just more of the same boring clunky gameplay all the gameplay videos have shown.

... that makes me sad. Oh well, there's still post-beta polishing to look forward to, right?

2xDouble:

fundayz:

2xDouble:

... that makes me sad. Oh well, there's still post-beta polishing to look forward to, right?

the gameplay isn't clunky at all. I played the demo they had up at Pax East and it flowed very smoothly and and it was very polished.

2xDouble:

fundayz:

2xDouble:

Nope, that's pretty much how it's going to look for the forseeable future. Not amazing is it?

animehermit:

the gameplay isn't clunky at all. I played the demo they had up at Pax East and it flowed very smoothly and and it was very polished.

I can agree with that. "Clunky" isn't the right word. The controls seem pretty tight and the animations make sense for what they do. Maybe "static" or "mechanical" are better words. The combat looks pretty, but just doesn't feel organic/alive to me.

Still, I saw that 1h30min video of leaked gameplay (I'm sure most fans have seen by now), and in spite of some obvious flaws it looked like a lot of fun.

Hang on... so did the sith want to recruit these prisoners or steal their tech or something? I mean surely a prison system advanced enough to contain such entities could strip them of their tech and destroy it...

Nocta-Aeterna:

Spacewolf:

GrimSheeper:

Fappy:

GrimSheeper:

You know, I thought the Rakatan Empire build their prisons to be these boxes in which a person's ego/mind is stored, turning their bodies into vegetables. The naming does sound like it's theirs, though....

One of those boxes from Kotor II you mentioned should totally be a drop off the last boss imo. Could start a special high level quest or something.

animehermit:

Deathfish15:

You're being a bit unfair here. They haven't released any other information on "Operations" yet, what we're seeing is only a small piece of the content.

Unfair? Really?!

It doesn't matter if it's just a small piece or whatever. This is content of their game. This video is a marketing tool to get the consumer to purchase the product. And no, it's not wanting me to do that.

From the video I perceived this much information:

-It's an Empire raid.

-It's for at least 20 people.

-Droids are a main focus of the fight going into it.

-It's at a prison.

-There's a boss at the very end that somehow only now is able to break his/her restraints (for some crazy reason he/she couldn't do it for the longest time that he/she was locked down there?).

-There's a lack of story presented other than "we found a secret prison vault"

There's much more that's in the video, but I'm not going to go into it. Overall, it makes me less likely to buy the product. That's what it boils down to.

2xDouble:
I'm confused... Is this just a Dark Side dungeon raid or is this an introduction for the overarching enemy that the Dark Side and Light Side must work together to overcome?

It would appear to be a high-level Dark Side raid or dungeon. It's possible that they'll have the enemy wake up and make it co-op eventually, but it won't be co-op with the Sith raiding Republic space in an effort to prevent some ancient enemy from rising up.
Speaking in-universe, guided by recent novelizations... each side handles such things in their own way, and the Sith tend to learn of things earlier (due to ripping truths out of the Force rather than letting it guide them), but they rarely share information... even when they do share information, most Jedi simply see it as lies for the purpose of infiltration... which is usually the case. When the Sith are being genuine, no outsider can tell the difference. Much like "the boy who cried wolf".

Fappy:

Nocta-Aeterna:

One of those boxes from Kotor II you mentioned should totally be a drop off the last boss imo. Could start a special high level quest or something.

There's an interesting quest in KOTOR 1where you have to transport one of them When you open it, you get sucked in and find yourself in company of a Rakatan criminal's mind who's been locked up for a few millenia. Then you compete with him who gets to keep your body.

loc978:
It would appear to be a high-level Dark Side raid or dungeon. It's possible that they'll have the enemy wake up and make it co-op eventually, but it won't be co-op with the Sith raiding a Republic base in an effort to prevent some ancient enemy from rising up.
Speaking in-universe, guided by recent novelizations... each side handles such things in their own way, and the Sith tend to learn of things earlier (due to ripping truths out of the Force rather than letting it guide them), but they rarely share information... even when they do share information, most Jedi simply see it as lies for the purpose of infiltration... which is usually the case. When the Sith are being genuine, no outsider can tell the difference. Much like "the boy who cried wolf".

Exactly. It wouldn't make sense for the two sides to have a common enemy, let alone common goals. Yet the opening monologue implies the Sith can't handle the junk inside the prison by themselves... "if something isn't done".

I was hoping to get a reason.

Why do people bitch about this game so much? Bioware + Star Wars = Awesome. That is a scientific formula, hard fact.

Seriously, the idea of dozens of sith running around taking down high-level enemies just sounds awesome, no matter what. Frak the naysayers.

Nocta-Aeterna:

Fappy:

Nocta-Aeterna:

There's an interesting quest in KOTOR 1where you have to transport one of them When you open it, you get sucked in and find yourself in company of a Rakatan criminal's mind who's been locked up for a few millenia. Then you compete with him who gets to keep your body.

Yeah I was referencing that... though, I thought it was from Kotor II for some reason XP

I'm starting to get a particularly bad feeling about TOR... it was supposed to be different. It was supposed to be story focused. It was supposed to be based around playing multiple characters through differing storylines and starting a new toon for a new story each time you finished the game (with understandable limits) until they publish the next story expansion.

And now they're putting raids in??

You know, the thing you grind over and over and over at endgame trying for loot drops so that you're strong enough to farm the next raid over and over and over?

The thing that you do so often, if becomes a JOB, where you have to be online for the guild's weekly raid?

What happened to the vast storylines??

Not happy. Very disappointed.

Fappy:

Yeah I was referencing that... though, I thought it was from Kotor II for some reason XP

We all make mistakes =P

Lawyer105:
I'm starting to get a particularly bad feeling about TOR... it was supposed to be different. It was supposed to be story focused. It was supposed to be based around playing multiple characters through differing storylines and starting a new toon for a new story each time you finished the game (with understandable limits) until they publish the next story expansion.

And now they're putting raids in??

You know, the thing you grind over and over and over at endgame trying for loot drops so that you're strong enough to farm the next raid over and over and over?

The thing that you do so often, if becomes a JOB, where you have to be online for the guild's weekly raid?

What happened to the vast storylines??

Not happy. Very disappointed.

Both Guild Wars 2 and The Secret World are claiming to have branching personal story lines, you could take a look there. Wether or not they can fulfill these claims and which of the two will do it the best remains to be seen though.

What a disappointing trailer. It revealed nothing about what looks like a raid. The more of the ingame I see from TOR, the less excited I get about it. I'll probably end up reading reviews first and foremost, I know I have been burned by an MMO or two before.

Deathfish15:

animehermit:

Deathfish15:

Unfair? Really?!

It doesn't matter if it's just a small piece or whatever. This is content of their game. This video is a marketing tool to get the consumer to purchase the product. And no, it's not wanting me to do that.

From the video I perceived this much information:

-It's an Empire raid.

-It's for at least 20 people.

-Droids are a main focus of the fight going into it.

-It's at a prison.

-There's a boss at the very end that somehow only now is able to break his/her restraints (for some crazy reason he/she couldn't do it for the longest time that he/she was locked down there?).

-There's a lack of story presented other than "we found a secret prison vault"

There's much more that's in the video, but I'm not going to go into it. Overall, it makes me less likely to buy the product. That's what it boils down to.

Marketing at it's very worst, no doubt.

Was that Simon Templeman (Kain/Loghain etc) I heard narrating the begining of that?

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:
I was hoping to get a reason.

Cute comic, shame neither the artist or you ever watched a gameplay video though :)

So it's just WoW in Star Wars universe, with graphics that will get old really fast. Hopefully the gameplay will be story driven as promised, I might give it a shot then .

I've yet to see something original and good out of this game.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here