Hunted: The Demon's Forge Review

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hunted: The Demon's Forge Review

This game should have been called Hot Elf Butt

Read Full Article

It's a nice game but it doesn't offer anything new and certainly isn't worth the money.

You can't have a problem, that would mean I have a problem too and I'm fine.

Strategically placed indeed!
But it does look like a normal, fun game. I'd like to try it out.

Just thought I should mention that you misspelled creepy ghost womans name. It's "Seraphine", not "Seraphim".

I'm playing co-op with a buddy on the PC and it's a blast. It's not perfect. But it's a fun dungeon romp.

Pretty generous score all round. That said, I'm enjoying it as a breather from The Witcher 2, flaws and all. Not sure why but I've known I'd get this game from the first time I saw it. I like my fantasy with a little anachronism. Not a triple A title but definitely not bargain bin either.

I would never guess that the best part of this game is it's story an writing.

That was a shocker.

She actually lampshades her outfit? Hey, that's gotta be worth a few points regardless of the game's merits.

Don't worry Greg, you'r not the only one who find E'lara hot. I've watched a play though of this and it seems to be a pretty good game to me.

I hadn't expected the strong point to be the story. Perhaps it's worth checking out after all.

Hot elf butt indeed lol.

I actually got this game cheap by buying it second handed, wow someone must have really hated it to sell it this quickly.

I was on the fence about this one... but I think I still want to check it out eventually.

I think I'll wait for a good deal on Steam first. I doubt it's worth $50... and I'm sure it won't take long to drop anyway.

It's an awesome game, despite the technical flaws and unpolished functionality. Any lover of coop play and/or fantasy settings should find it a treat.

My most pressing gripe, being a lover of bow and arrows, is that the arrow system is too easy to miss with. The arrows seem to be treated with a hitbox the size of a grain of sand, so you can miss allot, even if your cursor is red hot on top of the enemy at short range.

I'm still waiting for Yahtzee to tear this game a new......dozen.

I mean, story and banter are all well and good; until you realize this is a fantasy game, with chest high walls and a cover mechanic. For those of you unaware of this fact: Let that sink in. Then imagine Yahtzee's face when HE first found out, (hopefully after STARTING the game) XD

OT: Also, it bothers no one that the game is so dark and grimy? Why are people so ambivalent to attention to aesthetic design these days?

First two chapters were fun, unfortunately I got extremely bored during chapter three. My friend got bored even faster.
I was playing third chapter alone, I couldn't force myself through that and overwhelming boredom of long repetitive enemy waves non stop with very little variation.

Good news, I was able to exchange this game for Red Faction: Armageddon which my friend's PC refused to run. Deal of the year!

It's nice to see a more level-headed review of Hunted. Though I think it gets faulted for not meeting up to a certain, arguably arbitrary, expectation a lot rather unfairly. It's by no means perfect but it's not deserving of these terrible review scores out there that I've seen it get.

In my opinion, it's in the genre of games like Resident Evil 5, and by no means deserving of less a (arbitrary) score than that.

Hot Elf Butt would encompass 50% of why I bought the game. The other 50% looks decent enough so I'm pleased with my purchase.

No romance: Bonus
Getting tired of games shoe-horning love stories into every game in the grand tradition of Hollywood.

I got the pc version so it won't be an issue, but I will say that when it comes to split screens I'm generally a fan of top/bottom rather than left/right. Even with widescreen becoming the norm, there aren't many games with a really active vertical aspect.

So... it's as good as The Witcher 2 then? xD

It's a fun co-op game and they don't come that often, played 3 sessions of it so far with a friend and got to mid Chapter 4, nice Hacking and Slashing and secret finding but I wouldn't call the "story" anything to write home about... we had constant "Captain Obvious" moments from most of the cutscenes/conversations throughout the game.

Playing it on PC with X360 Pad and Ventrilo for voice on my TV (Online over GameSpy) and him on his and we didn't have any "Split-Screen" problems, just some bugs here and there like him falling through the floor twice xD.

I give the game a B, B- overall. The Caddoc/E'lara interactions really are quite enjoyable, and when Seraphim's in there a few times I've chuckled as well. I mean seriously:

Sera: "I want you to pick up the Deathstone."

Caddoc: "A... Deathstone. Seriously?"

Just Caddoc's blatant 'You gotta be joking...' tone and interaction during that bit had me chuckling aloud. And then E'lara's inclination to pick up the stone made it more funny.

yeah this game was ok
i liked the little side dungeons. the combat was pretty fun for a while too, it did get tedious though after a while. they should of done more things to level up with crystals though -_-. only 6 straight lines of skills each. 3 of them they both have in common.

like dexter111 i didnt think the story was all that exciting. i barely even remember it lol.

the setting was very hit and miss, but i loved the outside parts :3

"Not Slutty, strategically placed", huh that actually made me laugh. Good to see the developers poking a bit of fun at tradition of having women in fantasy games being half naked.

At least it's better than The Witcher 2.

Because it's "FUN".

RiouChan:

Because it's "FUN".

Shut up.

Dexter111:
So... it's as good as The Witcher 2 then? xD

It's a fun co-op game and they don't come that often, played 3 sessions of it so far with a friend and got to mid Chapter 4, nice Hacking and Slashing and secret finding but I wouldn't call the "story" anything to write home about... we had constant "Captain Obvious" moments from most of the cutscenes/conversations throughout the game.

Playing it on PC with X360 Pad and Ventrilo for voice on my TV (Online over GameSpy) and him on his and we didn't have any "Split-Screen" problems, just some bugs here and there like him falling through the floor twice xD.

Oh the story gets really interesting towards the end.There's actually several endings based on your choices although it differs from good to bad ending.What was interesting was that the 2 main characters are really different(well a bit obviously different like polar opposites of what you expect of the human/elf combo) and there's a lot of sexual tension between them that doesn't end in a stupid love story.

I like how "elf ass" is an actual tag in the article. :D

As can best describe most gaming fare these days - a moronic game for morons.

I'm really starting to get annoyed by this, I'm 35 and while I reckon most men in my age group (late 20's to mid 30's) all play games and have heaps of disposable income, I find absolutely nothing worth spending any money on (with I admit, the rare exception of a title or two a year). It's not even the subject matter (I enjoy a good juvenile bit of humor) or even the T&A factor (hell, I wish there were more.. uh.. any? AO games), it's just the damn game play mechanics keep getting dumber and dumber every year. I swear the next big "innovation" in gaming is going to be along the lines of, "Play the entire game by pressing only the X button on your controller!"

The longevity of the current console cycle, combined with the complete and utter lack of innovation in user interface has pretty much raped every single last bit of creativity out of the bloody corpse of gaming. I actually feel bad for younger gamers, and it's not all nostalgia bullshit, it's just that they do not know what it's like to literally have something completely freaking new and awesome pop up on the radar every year. Entire genres of gaming were invented right before my bleeding eyes. I don't think that this will ever happen again, especially not with the gaming industry's merciless pursuit of homogonization in an effort to appeal to the broadest possible audience to justify their enormous production budgets and (of course!) to keep their stock prices up quarter to quarter.

At this rate I think I'm going to have to pick up another hobby, like buying sports cars or keeping mistresses. Hell, it'd probably be more socially acceptable at work to talk about and definately less soul crushing.

Anyway... sorry for the rant. I'm going to go troll the indie titles at steam for a bit and hope to find something other than "yet another tower defense game" that I haven't played yet...

Totally agree with the review though sad it didn't touch on the awesome crucible Map Creator which does add a lil something something to keep me interested after I had completed the story mode.

Not worth 40.... 25-30 would have been a more decent price range.

Yokai:
I hadn't expected the strong point to be the story. Perhaps it's worth checking out after all.

It has a very good story with well-written dialog, but it's concentrated on the characters and situation at hand or "in-game". Some backstory is clearly there, but the game isn't an rpg and doesn't focus on telling much of it, which is fine, although I enjoyed what the game offers and would like to see more. Gameplay is solid enough with decent replay value, and the logic of the controls and stats didn't bother me as much as it seems to have troubled the reviewer. I'd have rated Hunted a full four stars instead of 3.5, but I'd also enjoy more complex puzzles if InXile and Bethesda see fit to continue the franchise.

RiouChan:

Because it's "FUN".

Interestingly, it has the same rating as The Witcher 2. So you're clearly objectively wrong. :P

RiouChan:

Because it's "FUN".

Says you.

@RiouChan

Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I can't really agree with you. I think TW2 is the best WRPG I've played since its predecessor came out four years ago despite the fact that several excellent examples of the genre have been produced by other companies in the meantime. I'm also having a blast with Hunted: The Demon's Forge, but it's not really even the same sort of game, and I don't play it the quite same way or for the same reasons.

Hunted and TW2 share a gritty aesthetic and a sensibility for using but also overturning fantasy conventions, but the mechanics take them in different directions. It's relatively linear co-op combat that tolerates a bit of button mashing vs. an rpg with a branching storyline and a fighting system in which button mashing is the fastest way to a game-over screen. Hunted also doesn't have the benefit of five novels, two volumes of short stories, and another game behind its narrative, although as I suggested in my earlier post, I'd really like to see where InXile could take this franchise, especially if they continue to tweak the gameplay and graphics (the glitches, not the art direction). Props to the voice actors, too, for making solid writing sound really nice in-game.

I'm sorry you didn't like TW2, and it's great that you seem to like Hunted, but I'm not convinced that the comparison works very well.

kyogen:

Yokai:

It has a very good story with well-written dialog, but it's concentrated on the characters and situation at hand or "in-game". Some backstory is clearly there, but the game isn't an rpg and doesn't focus on telling much of it, which is fine, although I enjoyed what the game offers and would like to see more. Gameplay is solid enough with decent replay value, and the logic of the controls and stats didn't bother me as much as it seems to have troubled the reviewer. I'd have rated Hunted a full four stars instead of 3.5, but I'd also enjoy more complex puzzles if InXile and Bethesda see fit to continue the franchise.

That's great. It's like TF2 storytelling, and that's brilliant, done correctly. Definitely looking into it.

Yokai:

That's great. It's like TF2 storytelling, and that's brilliant, done correctly. Definitely looking into it.

It's at least worth it to check out some gameplay footage on Youtube or have a look at other reviews and user comments.

TF2 isn't really my cup of tea, so I haven't played it much. I prefer the aesthetics and story of games like Hunted, and that goes a long way toward making up for minor technical issues and such for a gamer like me. However, my sense is that TF2's level design is generally better because--even though it's not quite my thing--it's a very very well-made game. I'll give it its due. That's why I recommend doing exactly what you said and "looking into it" more. I'm really happy with my purchase, but I know it's not for everyone.

Hehehe that end conversation gave me a good chuckle.

If the Dialogue between the two of them is good throughout the game, then I may be inclined to at least rent this.

NewYork_Comedian:
Hehehe that end conversation gave me a good chuckle.

If the Dialogue between the two of them is good throughout the game, then I may be inclined to at least rent this.

It's all delivered well by veteran voice actors, but the writing varies from really funny to solid and serviceable--jokes are great but they have to get the exposition done as well. *shrug* I like listening to the two of them go back and forth. One of them hates bugs, the other one hates heights. They step on each others' feet, they argue about who has killed more enemies, etc.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here