Escape to the Movies: Super 8

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

My computer froze immediately after you cleared your throat (after getting rid of the lens flare). I sat there for a good minute waiting for you to continue, and then I tried to move my mouse to check the time.

You have power over my computer.

I think Super 8 is one of those movies that different generations are going to react to in very different ways. I keep hearing that it's blatant pandering to 80s Summer Movie nostalgia and that presents some sort of obstacle to enjoying it.

But I was born in 1987 and for that reason have either never seen any of the movies it's supposed to be paying homage to or only watched them long after they came out. If someone hadn't pointed out the whole 80s homage thing I probably wouldn't have even noticed.

This is kind of a different topic, but what was the problem with Cloverfield Bob mentioned near the end? Whenever that movie gets brought up there's always a certain amount of eye-rolling as if there was some huge gaping flaw in it, but after watching it twice I'm still trying to figure out what that might have been.

I dunno, maybe I'm just not as picky as most people.

JJ Abrams is, in my opinion, more suited to advertising than film making. The guy knows how to get people interested in something but his lack of followthrough is becoming more and more noticable.

Also he has a love-affair with lens flares, apparently Star Trek wasn't enough of a lesson for him.

I love Kung Pow, too.

It sounds like a movie about a motel chain.

wooo Im 90% sure I started the kung pow joke cause the second they announced the wiiu name I posted that joke everywhere it was the first thing it made me think of god I love that movie

Did anyone else check if his monitor was still alright when the lens flare thing happened?

DYin01:
Did anyone else check if his monitor was still alright when the lens flare thing happened?

In the first page only, DaxStrife, SoopaSte123, Ralen-Sharr, Sonic Doctor, MowDownJoe, Hungry Donner and Allgoodnamesareused thought they were having computer issues, and The_root_of_all_evil thought there was something wrong with their sight. So, the answer is yes, definitely.

that was the first time i heard that joke, but thank you for helping me feel like i wasn't the only person to have seen that movie. i'm gonna see if it's on netflix cause i wanna go watch it now.

as for the review, i'll watch it when it comes to netflix, why waste money when i've got my friend's netflix account :D yay for not paying for shit

I thought the movie was pretty good, but yea there wasn't a great flow. This happened which lead to that happening and then thi...wait what? Where are we now?

I didn't even notice the lens flare however.

Penguin_Factory:
I think Super 8 is one of those movies that different generations are going to react to in very different ways. I keep hearing that it's blatant pandering to 80s Summer Movie nostalgia and that presents some sort of obstacle to enjoying it.

But I was born in 1987 and for that reason have either never seen any of the movies it's supposed to be paying homage to or only watched them long after they came out. If someone hadn't pointed out the whole 80s homage thing I probably wouldn't have even noticed.

This is kind of a different topic, but what was the problem with Cloverfield Bob mentioned near the end? Whenever that movie gets brought up there's always a certain amount of eye-rolling as if there was some huge gaping flaw in it, but after watching it twice I'm still trying to figure out what that might have been.

I dunno, maybe I'm just not as picky as most people.

Weird people around me love cloverfield but I just didn't like it. The one thing I hate about action movies is they give the camera to a monkey with Parkinson and then they made a movie out of it.

from a story aspect I thought it was alright. Nothing overtly wrong with it except the massive wtf ending. Like going from 60-0 in 2 seconds and my head banged on the windshield.

Glad I'm not the only one to think of Ling and her father when they announced the WiiU

I'm still going to see it because I decided on that after I played through the interactive teaser in Portal 2.

I AM A GREAT MAGICIAN!!!!

Your clothes are red.

Reminds me a bit of 20th Century Boys for some reason, I honestly don't know why.

Marc van Meel:
Reminds me a bit of 20th Century Boys for some reason, I honestly don't know why.

Probably the "group of kids doing kid stuff" thing, which was very well done in 20th Century Boys too, I thought. And 20th Century Boys ALSO has the dark sci-fi aspect to it, so I guess they have a few similarities.

Ahhh! Kung Pow reference and used to extra comical effect. What. A. Film.

I want to see this film and to be honest not bad gives me enough of an excuse to do so. Having seen most of JJ Abrahams films, and actually quite enjoyed them (Star Trek is a guilty pleasure of mine), can't agree more about the lens flare. Its getting rediculous. However a lot of directors seem to be implementing it which is annoying. Michael Bay anyone?

Unfortunately, I have to agree. There is pretty much nothing original about the monster. The trailers seemed to be hinting that the little white cubes were the monster (somehow) an idea which intrigued me, but sadly that's not the case.

That said, it's still a very good movie, and I'm glad I saw it.

I'm surprised that the reviews are so poor. I just saw this today and absolutely loved it... but then again, I'm the kind of guy that likes M Night Shyamalan movies.

the movie doesnt work? that coming from a guy who thought Scott Pilgrim was the best film of last year?

sorry Bob, you are more than wrong. It was refreshing to see a movie that was made in an older style, a less CGI way. In all honesty its the best film ive seen this year

Just watched this the other day, and I have to say I rather enjoyed it. The lens flares aren't too bad either - having watched J.J Abrams movies before, I expected them, and you stop noticing after a while so really they just subtly set the tone in the background. Well, foreground, but you get the point.

If you look at the movie as having two narrative tracks (the kid and his father), then the father's story is comparatively weak and unsatisfying. If, however, you look at the kid's story as the main one and his father's story as a complementing narrative, then it works well enough. I guess you could say it's just a matter of perspective.

What I really liked, though, is how it exclusively follows the children for the better part of the movie. In "Act 2" as Bob would say (or is it Act 3? I can never understand his implicit compartmentalisations), when the whole town turns into a war zone of sorts with tanks rolling everywhere, I found myself appreciating how the camera stuck to what the children where doing instead of trying to show what was going on on the larger scale. Much like E.T. did, I guess. But it separates the film from other 'alien invasion movies' like Battle LA or Transformers (not that those movies have much in common anyway).
And those kids can act, I'll give them that.
So any rushing over seemingly crucial plot details like "What the hell are those cube thingies?" can be attributed to the fact that it was mostly irrelevant to the children. The only reason we get some of that is because Joe picks such a cube to keep, and because that scientist who supposedly "understood" the alien was their school teacher.

One final note - the whole military cover-up which Bob claims was a big letdown - I don't see how that's a problem. Sure, anyone could have guessed that the whole dodgy military operation was covering up the alien's existence. It's not an original concept, and it doesn't need to be. In this day and age it is nigh impossible to create something entirely original - that's a fact of life. What matters is how it's presented and how compellingly the story is told.
In this regard, Super 8 is an excellent movie.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here