E3: Halo Anniversary

Pages PREV 1 2 3

sounds nice, but i rather have halo 3 for the pc. its really unfair they never made a pc version of it. just 1 and 2 and thats it. the franchise just ends for the pc gamers with part 2 when it supposed to be a trilogy.

Personally, I think remakes should be of the other end of the scale.

Good games already made their mark and received its high praise, and living up to the original's stature, while attempting to be innovative with a classic iteration without alienating fans, is a challenge, so there's a reasonable margin for messing up. However, 343 isn't retelling or reshaping anything, it's just cosmetic.

I played Halo 1 on pc at least 12 times over (and it that doesn't say I enjoyed it, I don't know what will), and if the remake is slated for a PC release as well, I'll be playing that too (just put the cross-hair where it should be, please!) but I'd much rather like to see a bad game improved, like Quake 4 for example.

Better storyline; better atmosphere; more engaging boss fights; better enemy AI/designs/variations; less linear gameplay; less straight, empty corridors with no strategic gameplay other than to shoot for the head; less arbitrarily tacked on events; and a far better use of the engine they had access to...

Sure the studio would have a lot more work on their hands, but I think a bad game has more facets to improve on, and makes for a better investment than buying something that's THE SAME GAME with a cosmetic revamp and Halo Reach gameplay. Then they could simply make a free visual mod, akin to CinematicMod for Half-Life 2.

Hot damn now there is something to buy! A shame they did add a EX mode that updaes the game mode and stuff thats how a re relrease should be done not just redo the game. WOuld love halo 1 with halo 2 mechanics!

anyone else think this is just a cash grab? They are just running the game through a better graphics filter. BLAM mo' money mo' money mo' money.

Can someone explain to me how keeping the same AI and physics from Halo 1 is a good idea?

L3m0n_L1m3:
Can someone explain to me how keeping the same AI and physics from Halo 1 is a good idea?

If 343 Studios changed anything, anything, long-time fans of the series would bitch. They bitched when the pistol was toned down, they bitched when the assault rifle was removed, they bitched when the health system went into full 'regeneration mode' instead of 'shields and health bar', they bitched that the battle rifle was crap, they bitched that the Elites weren't as scary in later games, they bitched that the vehicles weren't as fun to drive...

In short, going back to a game as classic as Halo Combat Evolved, and doing anything other than an upgrade of the visuals, would have been an invitation for long-time fans to declare war on 343 Studios. And besides, the physics still hold up, and the AI is still serviceable.

On a more optimistic note: The Silent Cartogropher with updated visuals? Oh hells yes! That level was pure brilliance. As well as Assault On The Control Room. And The Maw. Fuck it, I'm excited for the whole damn game. Say what you will, the original Halo CE had one of the strongest campaigns of any shooter when it first came out.

I am definitely looking forward to this. A few months ago I decided to just replay a bunch of old games, which included a run through of the Halo games (co-op!). I specifically remember having discussions with my friends about a Halo 1 port and/or remake...with Achievements!

I never did get to have big LAN parties with Halo 1's multiplayer, so outside of Blood Gulch (and maybe Battle Creek) I'm not too bothered by it not including all the original game's maps (figures Microsoft would want to release them as DLC). I just hope the game's priced around $40 if they don't include more maps or something.

My fav game ever, looking forward to this

I might get it if it's like $10 and on the PC.

If not, I'll pass.

It's gonna be like ODST, new campaign with some maps for the previous game (this case Reach)

Why does no one see this?

Weren't Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo ODST, and Halo Reach essentially remakes of the first game with better graphics?

Azaraxzealot:

JeanLuc761:
Is it just me or does a mere 7 maps seem incredibly insubstantial, especially given that Halo PC was released with 19 maps? Maybe this is just the cynical side of me talking but this sounds like a very cheap ploy to sell map packs.

probably, actually i'll admit it just IS.
But as long as it has Blood Gulch, Forge, that Icy Multiplayer map (forget the name), Hang 'Em High, and the original AI for the enemies in Firefight, then i'm happy.

Indeed, Blood Gulch and Hang em High sniper only no shields ALL DAY ERYDAY MOFO!

Good old days...

Donnyp:
anyone else think this is just a cash grab? They are just running the game through a better graphics filter. BLAM mo' money mo' money mo' money.

Yeah, every other dev makes games just cause! No money involved! Oh wait...

The correct sub-heading would have been ": Halo Isn't One of Them."

Not2troll.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Donnyp:

Yeah, every other dev makes games just cause! No money involved! Oh wait...

But making a brand new game compared to remaking a game are 2 different things. While one is done to make a new story or something the other is to make money off of something that did well already.

I like the ability to switch graphics on the fly...it seems like an interesting gameplay choice :P

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here