Trailers: Silent Hill: Downpour

Silent Hill: Downpour

Murphy Pendleton gets stranded in Silent Hill when his prison transport crashes.

Watch Video

Doesn't look too bad.

I kinda gotta run now, so I can't watch the trailer, but lemme know how Korn was, 'kay Escapists? OKTHNXBAI.

9_6:
Doesn't look too bad.

My sentiments exactly. So long as the creeps are aspects of his psyche and not someone elses (Nurse and P.Head I'm looking at you) this may be a good one.

Hectinc and confusing trailer. I believe Silent Hill should be more subtle. It looks like it might be good, but I have to see some gameplay before I make up my mind.

It seems iffy. It looks good, but I'm not sure how well it will capture the feel of Silent Hill, especially after the string of bad ones. Shattered Memories was interesting, but couldn't deliver on everything.

First, I like that I didn't see pyramid head. Although he may have just been replaced by the hammer guy. Sometimes it seems they just like to throw him in there to try to repeat his success from Silent Hill 2 without any understanding of what he meant in SH2. I'm hoping one of those monsters wasn't a nurse either.

Second, I like that the character might be a murderer. This actually gives him a reason to go through Silent Hill. He has guilt, and there are some implications of Hell. Especially that one guy as he fell. If done right, they can create a whole new set of monsters feeding off his feelings regarding that murder. Guilt, anger, shame, etc. If this is what they're going for, then the hammer guy could make sense as a type of old style executioner.

Third, while lots of characters are usually bad for the series, I did like how disconnected to the world around them the people seem -especially that mailman. It could actually help to build atmosphere. And that scene where he was in the cart with a monster crawling towards him slowly, that could be really good. Hopefully they try to keep with suspense.

That Wilhelm Scream better be a one time thing, dammit. I don't want to have to hold back laughter in what is supposed to be a tense scene.

gCrusher:

9_6:
Doesn't look too bad.

My sentiments exactly. So long as the creeps are aspects of his psyche and not someone elses (Nurse and P.Head I'm looking at you) this may be a good one.

The Nurse is a Universal character I thought? Hell they were in 1 and 2. Both different characters :/

Captain Placeholder:

gCrusher:

9_6:
Doesn't look too bad.

The Nurse is a Universal character I thought? Hell they were in 1 and 2. Both different characters :/

The Nurse is a representation of a fear of hospitals in the first one and sexual frustration in the second. They've just rolled with it ever since without actually trying to link them. You could easily fit in things such as diseased patients in the hospital scenes to represent fears of disease, but, no, just nurses now.

Midnight Crossroads:

Captain Placeholder:

gCrusher:

The Nurse is a representation of a fear of hospitals in the first one and sexual frustration in the second. They've just rolled with it ever since without actually trying to link them. You could easily fit in things such as diseased patients in the hospital scenes to represent fears of disease, but, no, just nurses now.

Oh ok, I looked at pictures - they did seem to be a wee bit more busty and shorter skirted in the second.

I'm cautiously optimistic.. but I do like what I'm seeing so far.

Please don't tell me that prison-guard woman is going to be dedicating herself to catching the main character no matter what happens. I admire dedication to your work and I understand personal hatred, but when you're stuck in Creepyville with ghastly horrors wanting to eat your face, that's an excellent time to PUT THAT SHIT ASIDE.

Beyond that... mildly interested, from what little I could actually see through the ADHD-afflicted cuts.

Well it sure didn't dampen my interest.

Raiyan 1.0:
I kinda gotta run now, so I can't watch the trailer, but lemme know how Korn was, 'kay Escapists? OKTHNXBAI.

Not sure if it was Korn I heard, but the music was good.

Meh, it's not the same without Akira Yamaoka and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn. Most Silent Hills after the third (or fourth) weren't very good but at least the music was always awesome. Hell, I haven't even played Origins and Shattered Memories but I still have their soundtracks.

looks promising.

but then, so did Homecoming at first...

Regardless of the current state of the series, I am still really looking forwards to this game. This trailer only drives that anticipation further home. Mmmmmmm....

Remember back when it was about running away was your best bet, and attacking the creatures was signing a death wish?
I miss that...
This looks like a Resident Evil game....

Hrm... looks like it could turn out okay... of course I've never really followed the games but I respect the mythology of the better ones.

all i could think about while watching was "The Suffering" - is this game going to be ripping that off?... probably. and "graphics look good" but as we all realise by now good graphics=shit story and naff acting/voices.
if i had to go by the look, i'm going to say "NAAH! PASS!"
and i don't know about you lot, but i'm getting sick of SH turning into a beat-em-up/action game!! where's the subtle terror!? the creeping paranoia!? that feeling that EVERYTHING is out to get you!? (even when most of it isn't)...
silent hill went downhill from 4 and i think it's reach past hell by now...

(that's another thing that annoys me, the blantent christian religion/refrences shoved in your face! -no longer is it a subtle hint lurking in the background (past, characters, monster mythos etc), now it's just THERE with no real reason for being so....

to sum up=
i'm remaining disappointed and well away from the game till i see evidence that it's not like the others (think it could be an SH5 "sequel"? - when i say sequel i don't mean continuing on from that crap but using alot of bits from it, i.e. the combat, irrelavent plot/characters and monsters that made no-sense P.Head..sorry "boogey man"/nurses and that banana-split-headed creep, good/bad moral *cough* choice system *cough* (honestly all the "will you forgive me?" in 5 was ANNOYING!))

Not sure if this is really a Silent Hill game anymore (too many trademark stuff missing), but then again I don't see any reason why a series can't evolve. If nothing else, it looks appealing as a horror game, and I haven't played one of those in a long time. I'll be keeping an eye on this. :)

REZNoR_greed:
looks promising.

but then, so did Homecoming at first...

My thoughts exactly. :)

I really look forward to each release of SH hoping that they'll improve (or even continue) on the awesomeness that was the first 2 and each time I'm sadly disappointed :/

Btw was that Morgan Freeman I heard at 0:47?

daxterx2005:
Remember back when it was about running away was your best bet, and attacking the creatures was signing a death wish?
I miss that...
This looks like a Resident Evil game....

Umm, no? I don't.

The only one in the series like that was Shattered Memories (and Silent Hill 3 on harder difficulty settigns). In SH1 & 2 you had shitloads of ammo and health if you wasn't stupid enough to go blasting every monster in the streets, not to mention that you could get past most encounters with melee, especially in SH1. And in SH4 running away usually meant getting your ass bitten.

This one actually seems to at least attempt making running the smartest option at times, since they've limited the amount of weaponry you can carry drastically and they've brought back the running away, looking behind your back -thing from SH:SM.

I heard about this earlier in OXM. Seems good.

Also i've heard that how safe silent hill is is judged by how weighed down your conscience is. If you have alot of stuff on your mind like murder and lust, well, it's not a pleasant place.

Sonicron:
Not sure if this is really a Silent Hill game anymore (too many trademark stuff missing), but then again I don't see any reason why a series can't evolve. If nothing else, it looks appealing as a horror game, and I haven't played one of those in a long time. I'll be keeping an eye on this. :)

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about. This looks like the most silent hill, silent hill game in ages.

this looks great. I had doubts about homecoming from the beginning but this one seems like it could be something special. I hope they make silent hill games forever

Not the best graphic around... but dosent look half bad eighter... sure look better than Shattered Memories

This actually looks like it might be good. Plus it does look like he is running away from most creatures and getting owned when they catch him.

I wasn't sure on this but i'm sold now.

Korn? KORN?!
For God's sake, Jonathan Davis is consistently proving he can't write lyrics with any subtlety or nuance for ten years now.

Sorry for the rant but Korn haven't done anything original since their first album.

The scariest part was at the very end...when all I heard was bright happy music while the screen yelled KONAMI at me.

I kind of want it to suck. Then the fanboy in me can keep ranting about how terrible all sequels after Silent Hill 2 are...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here