E3: Serious Sam 3: BFE

E3: Serious Sam 3: BFE

Serious Sam 3 might look way better than previous games in the series, but it's still Serious Sam through and through.

Serious Sam 3: BFE is still in alpha, but publisher Devolver brought a sweet demo of the game to E3 anyway. Basically, Serious Sam 3 is an incredibly gorgeous version of the previous Serious Sam titles with new enemies, new attacks, tweaked/new weapons, and destructible environments. Story-wise, it's a prequel to the entire franchise.

Serious Sam has always looked good thanks to Croteam's underlying tech, and Serious Sam 3 is no different. I was shown both a ruined city environment and a desert, and both were as detailed as can be. This includes the game's effects, with sandstorms in the desert that blocked Sam's view of advancing enemies and reflective oases.

If enemies get in close, Sam will be far from powerless at melee range this time. The new sledge hammer not only bashes in skulls with ease, but can perform a spin attack to take out all nearby foes. If the sledge isn't handy, or you just want to get your hands dirty, Sam has new melee attacks specific to each enemy. One features Sam pulling the eyeball out of a cyclops monster, while another features him ripping off a rocket-launching ogre's face. There's lots of over-the-top killing in Serious Sam 3, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Many of the game's weapons will be familiar, such as the shotguns (of single and double barrel variety), the rocket launcher, the pistol, the chaingun, and the powerful-as-hell cannon. There are some new additions like the tweaked assault rifle and the shotgun with explosive rounds. I wasn't shown the entire weapon selection, but those that I experienced worked pretty well. It felt great to rip through hordes of enemies with the chain gun while still getting hit in the back by kamikazes I didn't think about despite their incredibly noticeable screams.

Calling Serious Sam 3 hectic is like calling a time machine neat. Enemies begin to pop up before you know it, and if you move on before killing all of them you only have more on your plate. This is what Serious Sam has always been, and it's what it still is with Serious Sam 3. The big difference is that even while behind four walls in Serious Sam 3, you're not safe. Werebulls will smash right through the bricks this time if you're in a destructible building. There won't be many places to hide from the enemy hordes. You can also smash through destructible objects with the sledge hammer, or cause the environment to crumble in the process of blowing up kamikaze soldiers.

If you don't want to go it alone, Serious Sam 3 is going to feature up to 16-player co-op through the single-player storyline. Enemies will scale depending on how many players get involved, leading to what Devolver called "total chaos" at the highest level. I don't think this is PR talk, as Serious Sam 3 already features quite a lot of enemies.

Serious Sam 3: BFE will launch on the PC as a digital download, and will come to consoles later. It's not currently planned for a brick-and-mortar retail release.

See all our coverage directly from the show floor.

sounds like serious sam is what we wanted from duke nukem, Im hip, Ill buy it

This is what we all need. Serious Sam has my money.
Note: it may just be me, but the images aren't coming up.

Sounds alright. Sounds older school than many actual old school FPSes. Sounds like what people thought DNF would have been, but never actually was going to be from the start. Sounds like alot of stuff, really.

But does it sound like something I'd buy? Depends on how my computer runs it, if it has a demo, and how much it costs.

Oh YES! I've been playing Serious Sam TFE on 360 recently and thinking about buying TSE and also enjoyed Serious Sam 2

I eat resistance for breakfast!

Man, The First Encounter was the first game where I surpassed my old man in terms of playing still at. Ever since those days of LAN playthroughs with him I've loved this series! So hyped for this next one.

I hope it's really, really, really hard. I'm downloading TSE trial right now to see if it kicks my ass, if it does, SS3 might just get my cash.
I'll edit this post when I finish the trial.

Ah, I remember playing Serious Sam first and second encounter. Fun times!

Will be buying this!

My nostalgia pressure valve failed! Explosion in 3... 2... 1...

ALL YOUR MONIES ARE BELONG TO US!!!

Your eye belongs to me, Cyclops!

16 player co op?! Seriously!? Well played Sam... well played...

Not that that was the thing that sold me, everything about this game looks like pure gold

THEJORRRG:
I hope it's really, really, really hard. I'm downloading TSE trial right now to see if it kicks my ass, if it does, SS3 might just get my cash.

Trust me, it will kick your ass, although it depends on what difficult you choose. You can also costumize the health of the enemies and stuff like that so dont worry about difficulty

josemlopes:

THEJORRRG:

Trust me, it will kick your ass, although it depends on what difficult you choose. You can also costumize the health of the enemies and stuff like that so dont worry about difficulty

this is true, Serious Sam on Serious difficulty WILL kick your ass, encouraging you to choose wisely what weapon to use in each combat, especially since your own explosives hurt a lot when they hit you

Keith Reedy:
Oh YES! I've been playing Serious Sam TFE on 360 recently and thinking about buying TSE and also enjoyed Serious Sam 2

I eat resistance for breakfast!

do it, bro
it's basically the same as First Encounter, but with more weapons, enemies and level variety

and a personal tip, get it for PC, due to it's modding capabilities

I'm always in the mood for a new Serious Sam game and it's cool to see some of the enemies from the original game getting a new lick of paint. Those one eyed guys look a lot more vicious now. Let's see beheaded kamikazes too!

Nonetheless, call me old fashioned, but no retail release? I am disappointed.

As was said, if Duke Nukem Forever fails to capture the old-school aesthetic as many are claiming it does... The timing on this could hardly be better.

SIXTEEN PLAYER CO-OP?!!?

P.S. What does B.F.E stand for?

as long as they are still serving monster spam sandwiches, ill be hgappy

zombi2989:
SIXTEEN PLAYER CO-OP?!!?

P.S. What does B.F.E stand for?

Before First Encounter. Thus this being a prequel.

For those of you unfamiliar with this franchise, here are some quotes. >:)

"Sixteen players co-op? This is Madness!"

Madness? THIS. IS. SERIOUSLY SERIOUS!

There is just one word that fits Serious Sam. INTENSE. Seriously...

16-player co-op? Destruction? Explosive shotguns? Huge amounts of enemies? Sledgehammer?

This game is going to be seriously awesome.

I'm gonna have a hard time choosing between Revelations and this game,especially considering I already have like 3 shooting games from 2011.

A definite buy. I'd rather have the physical media in my hand, but I'll download this one anyway. PC is definitely the way to go. The level editor for the Serious 3 engine is already out with the HD version of the Second Encounter iirc. Time to run by the site, Seriously, and check up on things...

What DNF should have been, seriously looking forward to it!
But seriously, DNF wasn't bad, it just wasn't DNF.

I will buy this, although I wouldnt mind owning this in DVD form. It certanly deserves to sit on my gaming shelf next to my copy of the original game.

Let's see if this game can succeed where Duke Nukem Forever has failed- at unleashing the old-school CARNAGE!

Ahh, this takes me back.

Anybody else remember the moment in the first game where you reach this fairly large desert area, and in the distance you suddenly see a huge line of enemies appear. And they all start running at you, and you know that within just a few short seconds they'll all be right up on you.

And then what followed was some of the best FPS gameplay ever.

Duke, there's a new King to hail to, baby!
Serious Sam is Duke's badass uncle with an eyepatch and a cigar, who smacks him across the knuckles with a brick every time he whimpers. To me, Duke is just a Rugby player-physique'd player with a gun. And more proof that Sam is king, is the fact that there's a secret Duke skeleton in Serious Sam 2. OuO

I'm so getting this iteration of the series. Loved the old school madness Sam is famous for. And I'm happy if they, unlike that slacker Duke, don't forsake the oldschool gameplay for regenerative health and gun limitations. AND 16 PLAYER CO-OP = <3.

Croteam is a favourite.

Sound like what we wanted Duke nukem forever to be.

Serious Sam is the new king.
Bye-bye duke.

I'm playing First Encounter HD, and if it's an improval on that I don't even...

I got duke expecting something along Sam's lines, didn't get it, got Sam as well

BlamBlamBlam!

BIG QUESTION: With such a demanding graphics engine, how much will it reduce the amount of enemies on screen at the same time and reduce the size of environments?

If there's one thing that Serious Sam is good at, it's figuring out how to cram as many enemies on your screen as physically possible without destroying your computer.

Sam, however, will have his hands full.

Looks good. I've never played a Sam game before, but I might jump into it here.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here