Zero Punctuation: Hunted: The Demon's Forge

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Why does anyone want Yahtzee to do DNF? We all know it sucks, we all know exactly why it sucks, and besides a few colourful analogies what more could he add to the pile? DNF is probably the most reviewed game this whole year, there is no need for someone else to do another review of it. Reviewers have reviewed it, gamers have reviewed it, online movie critics have reviewed it, there is enough text and video about Duke Nukem to bury Gearbox Studios in paper and celluloid. No more says I.

Nice review though. I do like it when he does a review of a game that was simply bland, rather that truly terrible, so he does a couple of extra minutes on something largely unrelated to make up the time.

HankMan2.0:
I bet that first boss fight really bugged you, eh Yahtzee?

What, Did you think I was gone forever?

Wait, I thought you only got suspended for two weeks.

Also, did you have to use a different email address when signing up again?

MelasZepheos:
Why does anyone want Yahtzee to do DNF? We all know it sucks, we all know exactly why it sucks, and besides a few colourful analogies what more could he add to the pile? DNF is probably the most reviewed game this whole year, there is no need for someone else to do another review of it. Reviewers have reviewed it, gamers have reviewed it, online movie critics have reviewed it, there is enough text and video about Duke Nukem to bury Gearbox Studios in paper and celluloid. No more says I.

Nice review though. I do like it when he does a review of a game that was simply bland, rather that truly terrible, so he does a couple of extra minutes on something largely unrelated to make up the time.

Yahtzee has that special flare the makes even the most suck even worst.

It gets rather worrying when you can tell a game is bad on first glance.
When I saw this game pop up in an advertisement a few months back I instantly thought "Yep, that'll be crap." Just from the splash screen.
Call it presumptuous, but I haven't been wrong in years.

Also has the added bonus of knowing when a game is good... thank you GameSpot for that one The World Ends With You banner you put up years ago <3

Two Angels:

woodaba:
Can't say im suprised. Hunted is one of the worst games ive had the displeasure of playing in a LONG time.

Try out Mindjack and you'll see what a truly bad game is and realise how Hunted isn't that bad.

IMO this game isn't that bad. I enjoyed it more than I did Homefront, DNF and a couple of the other releases this year. The Online co-op was very bad but playing co-op is a good laugh and when I didn't have someone to play with I never had any problems with the AI. Actually on the flip side I found the AI to be quite good as it saved my bacon a number of times during boss fights when I was playing as Caddoc.

Pretty much agreed, I had a lot of fun with it in solo play and think it will be pretty awesome for playing through with my Fiance.

Granted midway through the game you become pretty much unstoppable but sometimes it's fun to just mow things down. I'm going back for an Oldschool playthrough to see if that makes any differenc on the difficulty, I hear enemies get a 60% buff on health and damage and you get a -10% debuff on health.

People seriously need to loosen up, drink some beer and just enjoy something rather than try to pick it apart just because it isn't the same as something else.

MelasZepheos:

You're forgetting that most don't watch Yahtzee for the criticism, but to see him bash a potentially bad game.

And given the whole "most popular review ever" thing, Yahtzee personally hoping that DNF would carry the spirit of old FPS gaming, which it didn't, and the fact that the game itself is so vulgar that it would probably offend even him, people have a lot of reasons to look forward to this review despite its probable lack of anything new to say.

Personally, I've already made up my mind regarding DNF(as I'm sure everyone else has), and I'm just waiting for the wall tits to hit the fan.

3:30 this

I was hoping for an E3 paddling. But seeing as you explained how your system works, it now makes sense.

Look at it this way. Technically you already reviewed Duke Nukem Forever, so there's no sense in reviewing it again. Now you have loads of free time to review anything you like

:D your welcome.

Please, DON'T do DNF. Then we can all keep your image of what the game should be like and hide from the giant, wrinkly wang of truth.

Does Yahtzee have dementia? He already reviewed DNF ages ago. He basically said it's the best game of all time. So I'm off to the store to buy 10 copies because I trust that a man of his moral integrity would never lie to his audience.

"Not trying to operate a fucking forklift" got me so hard. Haha so simple but yet so funny

Don't worry Yahtzee, I'm very much aware of how long it must take to make a video, and that's disregarding all the other stuff you do.

This was a good review. Yahtzee really gets in shape after E3. Some of his previous reviews weren't as funny. They seemed kinda forced. This one felt natural and sincere.

Would people stop asking for Duke Nukem Forever. The game hasn't even been out a week and his reviews are developed before then. He'll he'll to it if he "cares". Despite having an article about it, I'd rather see another E3 review, those always slay a large number of games relatively swiftly.

As for this game, the only appeal I initially got was the cooperative aspect as the action adventure genre is really lacking in that department... at least legitimate action adventure games.

I don't know, maybe if I played a demo first then got it on budget.

Yahtzee:
Making videos takes longer than you may realize; I mean, all these questionably royalty-free images don't Google image-search themselves...

No. Actually, I do realize, in specific detail, how long it takes. And frankly, sir, I continue to be amazed by and have considerable respect for your ability to bodge together five minutes a week, every week (except Christmas week, of course).

Am I the only one who's not all that pumped to hear what Yahtzee has to say about Duke Nukem Forever? Even though I don't have this game (yet), it's still one of those games that you'll like or dislike.

And about Hunted, I had no interest in that game anyway. At least DNF is better than this game.

I wonderer when he'll admit that he was wrong about the skip-ability of cutscenes in the Witcher 2.

a little harsh on this i think, the game was fairly decent, single player is arse, but co-op was fun....oh well, still made me laugh tho ha

Cover based shooting's more fun than shooters balanced so that the player character's meaty and can survive enemy barrages without consequences. Cover-based shooting feels alot more intense as being exposed for a few seconds means you die. My guess is Yahtzee plays on lower difficulty settings b/c he sucks and so doesn't get this experience.

I like games such as half-life 2 and Doom 3 but a problem with each of them is it was always easy, even on the hardest difficulty setting. Most enemies can only kill you by attrition and it's easy enough to find caches of health/armor/energy under stairs that you usually come upon charging stations still maxed out. Only someone doing a speed-run (or stupid) taking no time to explore ever has to worry about health. Since, halo's recharging shields, and moreso since
GoW's cover, shooters have become not about surviving the level but about surviving the skirmish. You can die during any shootout and that's more fun b/c every encounter's somewhat threatening.

...so yeah, he never beat it. I can only imagine that his bartending vocation is going too well to leave yahtzee any time for actually playing games.

Choppaduel:
I wonderer when he'll admit that he was wrong about the skip-ability of cutscenes in the Witcher 2.

he wont, he's become part of the new age of gamers now weather he likes it or not and we all nerd-rage at the slightest hint of annoyance.

in fact it's probably worse for him because he plays so many games that he just constantly thinks
'amagawds why can't we just have x device with x context and x controls and build my triple $^&*$ hooker game and it would be the best thing EVAR in the history of the universe, you pathetic underachieving studio!'
just like everyone does, in their own less colourful fashion
when in reality, you would just mess something else up that people would flame you for.

so really i can forgive him that, even if he is factually inaccurate sometimes, he gets the point across, the cut-scenes are annoying as hell if you miss the skip button by being a moron
it's a fair comment, I did it myself a couple times

they do 'become' un-skipable if you let them run for more than a second or two
which is just plain annoying
i mean, it makes sense so you don't accidentally press the skip button half way through the scene.. but cant they just make it so you have to quadrupole tap it to make it go away?
or left mouse and a tiny banner comes up in the corner that says press y to skip
( which brings me back to my second point )

Arren Kae:
Cover based shooting's more fun than shooters balanced so that the player character's meaty and can survive enemy barrages without consequences. Cover-based shooting feels alot more intense as being exposed for a few seconds means you die. My guess is Yahtzee plays on lower difficulty settings b/c he sucks and so doesn't get this experience.

more likely he's a game reviewer and spends the majority of his time actually building his reviews and meeting deadlines, so running around on the first level of a game for more than 5 minutes is probably not an option

Of course we know there's a swear that rhymes with "hunt". Never knew anyone called Mike Hunt?

You know, sometimes, when watching Yahtzee's videos, I can't help but think that being a game reviewer/critic has to be a comprehensive exercise in masochism.

there has not been a single good game that had forced co-op

either the computer is too good (left 4 dead) and human players blow, or the computer is a moron you would be better of without (resident evil, every other game)

the best co-op was in halo 1, full single player campaign, same campaign co-op but re-balanced

He already Reviewed Duke Nukem Forever... no like a year ago...

He already Reviewed Duke Nukem Forever... no like a year ago...

DELETED

Two Angels:

woodaba:
Can't say im suprised. Hunted is one of the worst games ive had the displeasure of playing in a LONG time.

Try out Mindjack and you'll see what a truly bad game is and realise how Hunted isn't that bad.

IMO this game isn't that bad. I enjoyed it more than I did Homefront, DNF and a couple of the other releases this year. The Online co-op was very bad but playing co-op is a good laugh and when I didn't have someone to play with I never had any problems with the AI. Actually on the flip side I found the AI to be quite good as it saved my bacon a number of times during boss fights when I was playing as Caddoc.

But thats just it. Hunted bills itself as a GoW clone in fantasy land, but fails by making horribly unapeealing graphics, the exact same fucking encounter ripped from other games, and a completly uninteresting story, incredibly dissapointing from the creator of A bards tale. Its main selling point was online co-op, which DOES NOT EVEN FUCKING WORK. While I admit that my first comment was a bit exageratted, I had high hopes going into this game and I was severely dissapointed.

Not as bad as Mindjack though.

Rayne870:
Pretty much agreed, I had a lot of fun with it in solo play and think it will be pretty awesome for playing through with my Fiance.

Granted midway through the game you become pretty much unstoppable but sometimes it's fun to just mow things down. I'm going back for an Oldschool playthrough to see if that makes any differenc on the difficulty, I hear enemies get a 60% buff on health and damage and you get a -10% debuff on health.

People seriously need to loosen up, drink some beer and just enjoy something rather than try to pick it apart just because it isn't the same as something else.

Try playing it with one hit kills on and unlimited arrows, taking out everyone with rapid fire arrows (even bosses!) was an awesome feeling. It made getting the collection achievements a breeze which is what I wanted.

Yea Old School is a great time though I'm getting the most fun out of The Crucible, some of the user created maps are a blast in Co-Op.

nice one!
Have to agree, played ten minutes of this snooze fest... glad I wasn't the one who bought it!

can't wait for next week Yahtzee (taking bets on which game it'll be... wink wink!)

did his voice sound raspy or weird or was that just me?

Is it just me or does Yahtzee sound tired as hell this entire video? Too many late nights running a bar?

Also, it's taken him this long too address why he can't review a game the same week it comes out? I kinda figured all the not thick people had already figured that out.

woodaba:
But thats just it. Hunted bills itself as a GoW clone in fantasy land, but fails by making horribly unapeealing graphics, the exact same fucking encounter ripped from other games, and a completly uninteresting story, incredibly dissapointing from the creator of A bards tale. Its main selling point was online co-op, which DOES NOT EVEN FUCKING WORK. While I admit that my first comment was a bit exageratted, I had high hopes going into this game and I was severely dissapointed.

Not as bad as Mindjack though.

The graphics were not great but then again they're not bad. I'm not fussed by graphics, CoD looks great but plays like shit and thus I have yet to for out any cash on the series while games like this aren't the best looking but they're fun.

I think the whole GoW comparison has gone a little to far as I played the whole game without once using cover, I just didn't see the need to. It's great fun to play as E'lara and have Caddoc run forward, lift up the enemies while you pick them off with freeze arrows.

The story was boring and formulaic but I thought the character interaction, the lore behind the story and the actual writing were pretty decent and got a few laughs from me.

I'm not trying to say you are wrong in your opinion but I just think you're selling the game short. Granted it's not something I'll remember by the end of the year but at the time I totally believe it was worth the asking price especially as it's one of the few co-op games out there that has replay value in the Crucible section.

I for one want to see a sequel with a bit more open worldness to it.

ewhac:

Yahtzee:
Making videos takes longer than you may realize; I mean, all these questionably royalty-free images don't Google image-search themselves...

No. Actually, I do realize, in specific detail, how long it takes. And frankly, sir, I continue to be amazed by and have considerable respect for your ability to bodge together five minutes a week, every week (except Christmas week, of course).

Obviously, he saves the ones he uses more often than others somewhere (such as the Thomas Ruff picture).

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here