Extra Punctuation: The Big E3

Pages PREV 1 2 3

LTK_70:
Using voice commands is in theory more convenient than pressing buttons because it doesn't require moving your otherwise-occupied fingers to different places, which is something I think a buttonphile could get behind. It's not likely they'll get voice control right, though. There are not nearly enough attempts at implementing it to know which mistakes to look out for.

SOCOM and EndWar would like to have a word with you. At least with those failed attempts, the mic was in your face. I don't see how it being across the room will remedy the situation at all.

I personally don't see the big deal with switching from a small, close screen to a far, big one, but I guess I'm used to doing the equivalent when drawing. Looking from the far away, big model to the close, small drawing is something you do constantly without thinking of it. So I definitely think it's something people should be able to get the hang of.

I was never interested in motion controls anyway, they were only good when at a drunken house party I think.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Snip

I don't know about you, but I haven't played competitive split screen in years, *thinks back to the N64 Goldeneye days*. So I don't see much use for the 'Hardcore' gamer here, as most of us have the internet. I guess I'm even less optimistic than you Yahtzee.

voice control is the worst invention yet in gaming technology.
and nintendo deserves all the bash it gets and more. you cant be seriuos thinking that wee could rival either of the other two any time soon. not that i like any gaming console, mind you, ill stick to pc till it dies out.

Heh, using "irregular" product names as a publicity stunt is anything but new. Check this out (trust me: it's not a "rickroll" or a "nyan", always trying not to fall into the trendy territory).

Do you think the French Revolution was started by a whole bunch of really satisfied and emotionally well-adjusted people?

Has got to be my favorite Yahtzee quote thus far.

You know I can be a very cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic bastard, but Yahtzee just drips of derision constantly, but then that's why everyone seems to like him so I guess he's only giving the people what they want.

Yhatzee, you silly hat stand!

You don't need imagination to see what Nintendo can do with their new controller... it's been in development for years, with a great deal of consumer feedback! Think of the Wii U as another DS upgrade!

Disappointed? The Kinect was the center of attention. E3 was disappointing. Please be pessimistic as possible so hopefully the developers will be discouraged when trying to fool us into waisting money on a fucking gimmick. Mass effect 3 had to be the only game that got it right. The presentation of Fable 4 and Starwars is proof of how far motion technology has to go before it becomes playable. The only thing that excited me during E3 were Mass effect 3, The Elder Scrolls 5, and Far Cry 3.

Lordofthesuplex:

I love when people say all I do is bash Nintendo. Look around, smart guy, I've got bashes for everybody, if you only notice it when I do it to one company then surprise! A fanboy is you. There's just more to say about Ninty because they're the only ones bringing out major new hardware; for Sony and Microsoft it's largely business as usual, pushing the already-outdated motion controls and what exclusives they could swing.

Wow. What a flimsy, elitist, self-righteous argument that is. Putting the fanrage aside, let me offer a different take on this topic: It doesn't matter how much more ammo Nintendo gives you in your critiques Ben, it's getting old, it's not funny anymore and it's just done to deliberately piss people off while beating a dead horse. Running gags must die and that's a problem you haven't gotten into your beer-fueled brain.

This is another reason I don't like Yahtzee anymore. Not only does he not man-up to his own critism, he's starting to sound like a broken record.

Maybe I just lack the imagination to see its applications but all I know is that a screen stops feeling like my proxy eyes for looking into a magical new world if I have to swap it out for another, smaller set of eyes every now and again.

Oh but when a handheld does it, it's actually a good idea, right? Seriously, I don't care how close to each other the DS/DSI/3DS's dual screens are, I'm still pretty much looking from one screen to another when I play games on it. The Wii U, isn't really doing anything to convince me that same scenario won't happen with it's controller.

I'm a gadget freak, so I feel an unwholesome lust for Nintendo's new system. It's perverted really.

Motion controls, I was sort of indifferent too until I actually had to use them, and then I mostly learned to hate them.

This "Wii U" though? It's like chocolate fudge covered in chocolate frosting then dipped in chocolate syrup. You know, the kind of the the decadent Caligula (or Hedonism-bot for you Futurama fans) would eat. I can't decide whether it's the greatest thing ever or not but... I want one.

I don't understand Yahtzee, except I think he's being a bit of an old, fuddy-duddy along the lines of Grandpa Simpson, "In my day we didn't have tablet controllers, consarn-it!"

Yahtzee seemed kinda ...relaxed in this review. I got that feeling that instead of laboriously throwing out his usual concentrated, hi-octane criticism, he rather just sat comfortably in his recliner and lazily dispensed some off-hand pessimism, like one would smoke from a pipe stuffed with leaves from the world's last tree. He speaks out about what he doesn't like, and doesn't give a damn about the world.

This is by no means a complaint, though. In fact, what this column reminded me of is why I took a liking to ZP to begin with - which was seeing games and game industry trying to meet Yahtzee's exceptionally high standards, and not just listening to indiscriminate, if carefully constructed swearing, which I think was being more and more noticeable recently. Part of the charm, at least for me, used to be wondering that maybe this week's game will receive some faint praise, like watching a particularly morbid Dare TV show or whatever they are called. You know, the "build a tower of cards while being zapped by a taser" kinda thing. Tough but fair. Yahtzee was the Man to whom the participants tried to stick it, and the later "I will bash it anyway" premise sort of ruined this for me. But, getting off topic.

What I wanted to say is this slow-paced episode that doesn't really try that hard makes for a nice counter-balance to the usual constant verbal assault. Shows there's more to Yahtzee than the deadly spiral of high-brow judgement and fan-rage rebuttals, of subjective facts and God-given opinions. That he too is human, and needs sometimes to unwind, sit back. Ponder the big picture. Express a sliver of hope.

Reload the shotgun.

I forgot where I was going with this.

I'm glad someone else thought that the Wii U's controller looked like an Etch-A-Sketch. When I made that comment while watching the conference, most people looked at me like I was crazy and it made me feel old. Anyway, I just find it odd that Nintendo seems to be trying to sell their controller rather than their console. Hell, this year they came up on stage and said "we're not going to show you the console or really talk about it at all, BUT CHECK OUT THIS CONTROLLER". I found the whole thing odd and backwards.

The problem with 3D TV and anything to do with it is that the technology is not standardised yet. Standards are important for many reasons and this is a prime example.

What does that mean?

It means do not bother buying a 3D TV yet. It's truly a waste of money right now and is nothing more than a gimmick.

Unless 3D TV technology gets standardised appropriately I can't forsee the technology lasting that long.

Nfritzappa:

Jesper Christiansen:
The voice command for ME3 is a ripoff that fells forced upon the game.
If they wanted us to experience that "squad commander" feeling, they would have made it so we could use our headset on the xbox. No reason they couldn't have used that instead.

Newsflash: ITS OPTIONAL!

Right... i got that from watching the demo... Your "answer" really doesn't tell me, why they couldn't have made the same feature, with the mike that everybody already has?

Jesper Christiansen:

Nfritzappa:

Jesper Christiansen:
The voice command for ME3 is a ripoff that fells forced upon the game.
If they wanted us to experience that "squad commander" feeling, they would have made it so we could use our headset on the xbox. No reason they couldn't have used that instead.

Newsflash: ITS OPTIONAL!

Right... i got that from watching the demo... Your "answer" really doesn't tell me, why they couldn't have made the same feature, with the mike that everybody already has?

I would guess because the xbox itself can't handle the tech? I don't know, I'm not buying it for kinect, I just think whining and questioning the motives about it is pointless.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
"It's hard to have a Gaytime on your own."

Heh heh. They said "hard".

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook