Extra Punctuation: The Big E3

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

The Big E3

Yahtzee wee's on the Big Three: Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo.

Read Full Article

Might I point out a slight problem with this dual screen idea (I hadn't heard about it 'til now so this just popped into my head). It's a great idea with just one problem. There doesn't seem to be many games with local multiplayer these days or perhaps there is and I just haven't noticed, been a while since I played on a console.... Mabye this idea will remedy this and we'll get lots of games with splitscreen again. Some people, like me, prefer not to play online.

Looking forward to next week's article. Sad that there's no E3 vid this year... :/

Yahtzee Croshaw:
And really, sometimes I get the impression that everyone's kind of down on me this time of year when we're all supposed to be full of hope and joy for the wondrous upcoming future and all I want to do is bring you all down to my dreary, pungent level. But I guess that's exactly why I have to do it. Hype is a destructive thing that gives you expectations that can't possibly be fulfilled.

And that's why I love the ZP E3 review. So I know I'm not the only one looking at the shamelessly insulting marketing in disgust. It's a nice contrast to the G4 coverage where "everything looks so amazing" and they have to uncomfortably praise even the things you know they're not at all interested in playing: it's kind of funny to watch Sessler squirm while fawning over FF13-2.
And yes as one of the few gamers who actually still plays games with friends (the oldschool way) on the same couch, I thought sony's 3D split screen (without the split) is very cool. I might get one if Starhawk ends up being as addictive as Warhawk.
Considering that Fallout 3 is probably my favorite game from this gen, I should be excited for Skyrim (also a lot of room for sophomoric humor in that title) but at this point, I'm never going to buy a Bethesda game at launch. And this one has a new engine so you know it's going to be a mess; they never even got the hang of working with the last one.

I was also hoping to see a cartoon of Mr Caffine getting impaled on a streetlamp while he's trying to imitate the least funny portion of an SNL movie from 20 years ago. Maybe next year they can have Carrie Fisher come on stage with a flamethrower and immolate him. Or maybe Al Frankin can shame him off the coke. Personally, I'm hoping that MacGruber just blows him up.

I sure hope that this week is a Duke Nukem Forever review since we Australians were first to get it.

I don't mind the bashing on Nintendo. It's a simple difference of opinion. But when comedy is the main selling point, and you know a good portion of the jokes that are going to happen, it's just not as funny. It's not that I hate that he bashes on Nintendo. It's that it just seems his jokes get lazy when he does. And every time, he spends 2 minutes of a 5 minute video going "And here's the joke calling motion controls a gimmick. And here's the joke about Nintendo always rehashing their games. And here's the joke about why it'd be better on other systems. And here's the joke about the Wii's graphics."

Anyway, as for the topic itself, considering he didn't talk about the games themselves, I don't have much else to say. I guess I'll be more on topic next week. But I'm hoping for him to say something bad about Skyrim so that I can have fun watching the Escapist get angry with him like they did in his Witcher 2 review. Also, please do a mailbag showdown with that review... please. Some of the material just writes itself.

Using voice commands is in theory more convenient than pressing buttons because it doesn't require moving your otherwise-occupied fingers to different places, which is something I think a buttonphile could get behind. It's not likely they'll get voice control right, though. There are not nearly enough attempts at implementing it to know which mistakes to look out for.

Less videos? That would be great considering their all the same.

Yer man o'er yonder:
Might I point out a slight problem with this dual screen idea (I hadn't heard about it 'til now so this just popped into my head). It's a great idea with just one problem. There doesn't seem to be many games with local multiplayer these days or perhaps there is and I just haven't noticed, been a while since I played on a console.... Mabye this idea will remedy this and we'll get lots of games with splitscreen again. Some people, like me, prefer not to play online.

it's not only meant for local multiplayer but also gaming while another person watches tv
i did know this technology since sony patented it(a year ago or so) so it wasn't much of a surprise for me at E3

and thanks yahtzee for pointing out this senselessness with voice control
it might be ok if you misplaced your controller when you just want to use the xbox menu but it's entirely unpractical in games
especially in a game like mass effect where there is a lot of talking
also i would feel very weird talking to my tv... i normally only do that when my buttons don't work^^

I'm not disappointed that you're not making a video for this, but I'm disappointed by how you didn't mention the PSVita. I guess there wasn't much to criticize for it.
Frankly, I'm pleased by the HD, launch lineup, the price, and even the back-touchscreen (it keeps fingers away from the screen). Between the honorable action Sony has done by making the system $250, the launch lineup, and the fact that I don't have a PS3 (and won't make space for one), I'm likely to buy a PlayStation Vita.

I don't like motion controls either. They're annoying, stupid, unnecessary, and just all around not very fun.

In the meantime I wonder if he's going to review the Halo Anniversary? He did say that he's never played the first two. I don't know if that's still accurate or not, but I don't really see him passing up another chance to piss off Halo fanboys.

Then again, he might have gotten tired of people misunderstanding his Reach review. Where did all the reach-around jokes for that game go, by the way? I didn't hear many...

Well at least you're not an opinion Nazi.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
It's just a shame they expect us to buy a whole new TV for it when there doesn't seem to be any reason you couldn't modify existing 3D TVs to do it, use some of that fucking technology for good for once.

Okay, there's been a bit of a miscommunication here. The technology works fine with existing 3D Tv's and Glasses. They were using the new $500 TV as an example because they were aware the majority of people don't own 3D TV's

I actually don't mind the WiiU, its not really aimed at me as an audience, but I think its pretty cool that I can play a game on the toilet via my tablet, and it have all the power and functionality and power of a sit down system.

ultimasupersaiyan:
I sure hope that this week is a Duke Nukem Forever review since we Australians were first to get it.

This. I'm ok with no E3 video, just really really hoping to see you tear DNF apart.

I love when people say all I do is bash Nintendo. Look around, smart guy, I've got bashes for everybody, if you only notice it when I do it to one company then surprise! A fanboy is you. There's just more to say about Ninty because they're the only ones bringing out major new hardware; for Sony and Microsoft it's largely business as usual, pushing the already-outdated motion controls and what exclusives they could swing.

Wow. What a flimsy, elitist, self-righteous argument that is. Putting the fanrage aside, let me offer a different take on this topic: It doesn't matter how much more ammo Nintendo gives you in your critiques Ben, it's getting old, it's not funny anymore and it's just done to deliberately piss people off while beating a dead horse. Running gags must die and that's a problem you haven't gotten into your beer-fueled brain.

This is another reason I don't like Yahtzee anymore. Not only does he not man-up to his own critism, he's starting to sound like a broken record.

Maybe I just lack the imagination to see its applications but all I know is that a screen stops feeling like my proxy eyes for looking into a magical new world if I have to swap it out for another, smaller set of eyes every now and again.

Oh but when a handheld does it, it's actually a good idea, right? Seriously, I don't care how close to each other the DS/DSI/3DS's dual screens are, I'm still pretty much looking from one screen to another when I play games on it. The Wii U, isn't really doing anything to convince me that same scenario won't happen with it's controller.

GonzoGamer:
[quote="Yahtzee Croshaw" post="6.291541.11583206"]
Considering that Fallout 3 is probably my favorite game from this gen, I should be excited for Skyrim (also a lot of room for sophomoric humor in that title) but at this point, I'm never going to buy a Bethesda game at launch. And this one has a new engine so you know it's going to be a mess; they never even got the hang of working with the last one.

If you're refering to Fallout: New Vegas, it was made by Obsidion not Bethesda.

It's good to know that no matter what, I can always come here and find someone who thought the exact thing I did, but worded it in a way that was clear, concise, and interesting.

They all seemed to be pulling things out of their ass this year, even though I worship ME3 just because. Sony's TV looked cool and would be a great thing to implement. I just wonder how it would work with 4 player battles. Does everyone have to sit stock still in their seats in order to see their screen? Does it come with the glasses? So many questions....

And I really don't like Nintendo's controller. It's not something I would be comfortable with, I can tell already. I'll still try it at the Best Buy kiosks though. No promises. I'm ignoring the name for now, because I feel like I lost years of adult maturity just saying it.

Microsoft...well, they really look like they want to make Kinect work. Good luck with that, because the games they showed for it didn't look all that interesting. They're trying though...if that counts. It worked for the DNF review right? It got pity stars.

See. I knew it the instant I heard the name that someone would call it "Pii U", and while it wasn't spelled that way in the article, there it was. Won't be too long now before fanboys start throwing it around as much as they throw around stupid crap like "Xbot".

Xman490:
I'm not disappointed that you're not making a video for this, but I'm disappointed by how you didn't mention the PSVita. I guess there wasn't much to criticize for it.

There's really just one big thing it failed at, and that's that Sony is making a proprietary memory stick format for us to save or PSN purchases or other things that aren't gave saves and game DLC on (the game cards themselves have space reserved for that game's saves and DLC on them already). And that alone is enough for them not to see a dime of my money until they learn what an SD card is and put a slot for one in a future revision of the Vita. I am not paying an arm and a leg for storage space like I did on the PSP.

ultimasupersaiyan:

You only got it last Friday. That's not enough time for him to play the game, write the script, read the script, and make the animations. Hope for next week. ;)

I quite enjoyed most of the games you bash.

For a video game enthusiast it's hard to imagine your entire library is basically comprised of Portal, Painkiller, Limbo and Shadow Of The Colossus.

I find it hard to believe that you really feel the way you about most games that you review, otherwise you'd be left with absolutely nothing to play. Yeah I know a lot of it is a joke, but it's hard to tell when you jump between humorously offensive to thought provoking.

Well, you know how it is, looking at your games objectively and enjoying them are two different things sometimes.

ooh, let me guess what he'll say before I even read this.
1. probably trash on Microsoft for all the Kinect stuff
2. probably call Nintendo's new console gimmicky
3. pointlessly whine about Nintendo making mario and zelda,etc.
4. possibly undeserved praise to vita
5. nitpick about Sony and 3d

I forgot:
ooh, let me guess what he'll say before I even read this.
1. probably trash on Microsoft for all the Kinect stuff
2. probably call Nintendo's new console gimmicky
3. pointlessly whine about Nintendo making mario and zelda,etc.
4. possibly undeserved praise to vita
5. nitpick about Sony and 3d

I'm surprised. Nowhere near as pointlessly negative as I thought. I almost feel bad now.

Maybe I'm kinda weird, but I liked the wiimote + nun-chuck.
Somehow it just seemed to fit into my sitting style well having both hands on the controller, but both hands still able to wander.
I could have both arms resting calmly on the padded armrests of my throne rather than crossed over to a single spot.

I realize some stuff on the WiiU looks like it'll use wiimotes anyway, but regardless I kinda liked the setup.

The WiiU controller.....just doesn't seem comfortable.

I certainly agree that the dual shock and modern incarnations thereof are pretty well set up.

Holding a rectangle just doesn't seem like it'ld work as well, especially when you are needing to hold it out in front of you so that you can see both screens.

Functionally, it might still be cool, maybe make for a faster inventory management system, just ergonomically it seems off.

I love how when anyone DARES to say something negative about Nintendo the fanboys come out of the woodworks. Tears. Delicious. B'awwwww!

Anyway. Yeah the TV was the most exciting thing for me too. But like mentioned it was meant as an entry level tv to get people started. The technology should spread to other (bigger) tvs too. I had hoped to hold off for glasses free 3D to land, but this is giving glasses an extra perk.

The ME3 voice commands looked retarded. Let's think about this. I can press a few buttons, like i have been for 25 years. -OR- I can break my immersion by yelling out at the TV and then feel completely ridiculous.

I want to give MS the benefit of the doubt. But it honestly does feel like they're giving up on their user base to chase the casual market. I can't blame them given the money involved, but ow.

Sony: "$2--motherfucking-49!" They actually had some decent games in there too, like Dust and Ruin.

Nintendo's controller lacks dual analogs. Good grief.

I'm surprised Nintendo didn't collaborate with apple and call it the iWii. Then the controller would be an iphone or ipad. I wouldn't have put it past them.

ultimasupersaiyan:

DNF didn't come out until last Friday. He will only have started writing the script yesterday, and that's assuming he was done with the game by then - we'll see it next week at the earliest, I'd say.

jyork89:
I'm surprised Nintendo didn't collaborate with apple and call it the iWii. Then the controller would be an iphone or ipad. I wouldn't have put it past them.

Except Nintendo has said previously that Apple is currently their main rival, and that they don't consider Microsoft and Sony a threat.

Yahtzee Croshaw:

Maybe I just lack the imagination to see its applications but all I know is that a screen stops feeling like my proxy eyes for looking into a magical new world if I have to swap it out for another, smaller set of eyes every now and again.

There's already some good ideas coming in. Ubisoft has announced a game with an interesting element to the multiplayer. 1-2 players will use wii-remotes to fight off enemies sent in by the player with the touch screen. Basically, it sounds like it will be an FPS with one controller and an RTS with the other.

Just running with that idea, why not make Battlefront 3 (c'mon LucasArts, you know we want it) an FPSRTS--command troops with the touch screen while continuing to play the much more skilled solider yourself. Shooters are going to be a bit more interesting in the upcoming generation.

Here's a couple more ideas--fighters with a quick-reference move list on your controller, instant weapon swap in any action game, multiple perspectives during gameplay, touch screen puzzles, camera games (a new Fatal Frame-like game where you can only see anything supernatural when you look through the camera would be interesting), super guides that don't interrupt gameplay, maps, inventories, and other menus that can be accessed instantly without pausing the game. And I'm sure professionals are better at thinking up this stuff than I.

Dude, you're trying to hard to bash on stuff.
STFU and try enjoying games... o wait, you earn money by bashing on games.

Please continue.

On a serious note, lately I'm getting the feeling that you (Yahtzee) have forgotten why you (probable) started to like games. To have fun. Go back to the old times and try having fun.

You dismiss every new innovation without a second though.
I think you dismissed the Wii even before it was announced. Some psychic powers of your warned you "Shit, this could be fun, CODE RED, CODE RED!!!"
Same goes for Kinetic and Move. Yeah, they maybe aren't the future of gaming, but they ARE fun.
What's the main point of games again? Oh yeah, to entertain us. We play games to have fun, that's the core aspect of gaming.

Same goes for the 3D. Yeah we get it, it's not real 3D, no one is retarded enough to think so. But still, it is fun, jet again. I'm not a big fan of 3D my self, but I truly enjoy watching a movie when the effects are done good. Same goes for games.

Wii U... wow, great. You degraded your self to a kindergarten level. Pee You, We pee You.... any more stupid jokes? Well... go on.
And yes, you lack imagination if you can't find any useful things that can be done by the controller.

Oh well, you got Voice control right and praised Sony for the nice idea of Dual TV. I really like the concept.
The only problem with this and gaming is that I can't remember when was the last time a played a game with split screen. I think it was on my N64, Conker's bad fur day. And I think that the split screen improves the gameplay in this case.

Yahtzee, if you keep playing games for the shake of finding things that annoy you, then stop playing. If you play for the shake of entertainment, then stop being such a depressive guy and instead of searching for all the bad stuff, try thinking about all the good stuff that can be done with those new things.

I understand that you have to point out the bad sides, but then at least don't ignore all the good sides.

I go back playing Mincraft. Gonna fight some Creepers.

I'm surprised that as a game designer, Yahtzee doesn't see the value in something like the Wii U controller. It does everything every other standard controller does (two analogs, four face buttons, triggers, shoulders, etc) but adds functionality that doesn't impede on anything already in place, something he states is a plus mere paragraphs later.

Also, one of Yahtzee's most recurring criticims is the sequelization and stagnation that is so ever present in games, and yet when the companies do things to encourage creativity (Kinect, Move, 3D, Wii, Wii U) it's routinely slammed as not being the standard gaming experience.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
t's just a shame they expect us to buy a whole new TV for it when there doesn't seem to be any reason you couldn't modify existing 3D TVs to do it, use some of that fucking technology for good for once.

I'm not much of a Nintendo fanboy (I skipped the N64 and Wii entirely and only got a Gamecube about a year ago due to them giving them away for practically nothing) but I'm actually a bit excited by the Wii U. For one thing, it doesn't look like they've really sacrificed anything for their gimmick this time around; while the Wiimote was, in many cases, an inferior controller to the standard gamepads it was replacing, the Wii U's controller has the same controls you'd expect from any current console, just with a screen added in. The graphical/processing capabilities also look like they'll be at least on par with the PS3 and 360, so we'll almost certainly see most of the major third-party cross-platform games ported to it.

Plus, I can see a lot of uses for that extra screen. Aside from the obvious uses of having menus always available I think it solves one of the major issues that games tend to have when dealing with object that are both near and far from the character. Traditionally, the game's main camera would give a fairly wide view of the action, with its focus being on distant objects. This is great when you're dealing with combat, movement and platforming, but is less than ideal when you need to closely examine your immediate surroundings or interact with a held object. For those situations, the player is usually given a control that allows them to switch to another camera view which certainly does the job (after all, it's been the standard approach for years) but isn't without its drawbacks. Switching from one view to another always breaks immersion since it highlights the artificiality of what you're seeing, and if you suddenly need to go back to the wide view (say, if you're being attacked) it can be awkward to switch back and forth.

With the Wii U's setup, developers can simply display the wide view on the TV screen and the close-up view on the controller (and with the controller's motion controls you can have it work as a movable window into the game-world, which would seem to me to be a much more natural way of adjusting your POV than by wiggling a thumbstick) and allow the player to just look up or down depending on what they want to focus on, as they would in the real world. Plus, with the touch screen the player can interact with objects directly in a way that isn't possible with more traditional controls.

Finally, as I mentioned above its very likely that the Wii U will receive ports of the mainstream, "hardcore" games that used to be exclusive to the PS3 and 360 (at least until Microsoft and Sony release their next iteration of their hardware and pull ahead again.) For me this is a big deal because, while both the HD consoles and the Wii had a few games I was interested in, neither of them really offered me enough to justify spending hundreds of dollars on a new console when I still had a sizable backlog of PS2 games that I was eager to try. With the Wii U being backward-compatible with the Wii (and possibly with the Gamecube; not sure what the final word is on that) I finally have a good enough reason to upgrade, conveniently just as I'm starting to run out of PS2 games that I'm interested in.

Yeah sure the name is weird but Golden Gaytimes are delicious!!! I could go for a gaytime right now...mmmmmm, gaytime.

OT: I agree, it seems like Nintendo are purposely trying to make their consoles sound stupid.

I always feel awkward when I have to do something like give voice commands for a game. It was OK for Hey You Pikachu cause I was little and didn't know the difference between T.V. people and not-T.V. people.

Now that I have firmly established that there is a difference, voice commands don't hold any merit for me.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here