Infamous 2 Review

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Infamous 2 Review

Come on baby, light my fire.

Read Full Article

Seriously a GOTY contender for me.

Playing good didn't make me feel weaker than Evil, unlike in inFamous 1. Plus the Blast Shard Sense makes getting a Plat much easier for trophy addicts like me.

And that Cole & Zeke scene you mentioned...yeah...that was fantastic.

My biggest gripe is that the User Generated Content is really confusing to make. The toolset needs a tutorial, for sure.

personally, i loved this game. Although i was a good guy. But i am currently playing through the first infamous as a jerk and then doing the same on infamous 2. Just cos i can. You mention the electric rockets you can use. Does anyone else feel that they were cheated because it wasn't in from the start, despite the fact he's supposed to have all the powers from the first game again?

Also, i loved the ice powers. I won't spoil it for anyone else who hasn't played it (GO AND BUY IT!!!) but they come in real useful. Going to have to try the other ones next time.

I thought the story was rather forgettable but the ending was great. Still, it was probably one of the best games I've played this year and I really like how they turned Zeke from the annoying sidekick to an actually pretty likeable sidekick.

Andrew_Mac:
personally, i loved this game. Although i was a good guy. But i am currently playing through the first infamous as a jerk and then doing the same on infamous 2. Just cos i can. You mention the electric rockets you can use. Does anyone else feel that they were cheated because it wasn't in from the start, despite the fact he's supposed to have all the powers from the first game again?

Also, i loved the ice powers. I won't spoil it for anyone else who hasn't played it (GO AND BUY IT!!!) but they come in real useful. Going to have to try the other ones next time.

Freeze Rocket >>>>> All for combat

Ice Launch >>>>>>>>>> All for practicality and shard hunters

Still not done evil...yet.

Onyx Oblivion:

The mini-teleport you get from Nix is pretty damn awesome to get around though. Definitely one of my favorite powers.

Greg

Ok, about the game title. I know it spells out Infamous, but doesn't the capital F in the middle of "inFamous" seperate between the 2 words "Famous" and "Infamous"? I'm sure they were trying to point out the moral choice system in the game that way. And it would look weird if they put in parentheses in "in" like this: (in)famous. I'm just saying that they must have made it that way for a reason. Anyways, the game looks awesome and Zeke's still a douche. :D

Greg Tito:
The mini-teleport you get from Nix is pretty damn awesome to get around though. Definitely one of my favorite powers.

Greg

OHHH

I gotta play Evil soon, then. Sounds fantastic.

Andrew_Mac:

Onyx Oblivion:

Ice launch is an awesome power, once I got it I never switched it out for anything.

I thought it was good, but still falling short of greatness. The missions don't feel imaginative enough and can get a bit tedious later on.

Loved the new actor playing Cole though, some great voice work - it felt really nuanced at times. The writing was better too, Cole felt more like the character should be (he's a bit of a loser in his mid-20s with super powers, he should behave as such - he seemed too weathered before, even from the beginning of the first game) and definitely had a sense of humour about himself that was lacking in the first.

The morality system was better, although I felt the "ultimate choice" was constrained by it. When the options were being discussed by the characters, it actually felt pretty grey to me, until they slapped the good/bad tags in front of you (literally).

Greg Tito:

Greg

Gah, I was hoping to get that from Kuo considering she does it too, but nada.

It's a great game, and like you said, the only thing really keeping it back is the narrative, mechanically, the game is sound.

Also, I <3 Ice Launch. Combined with Static Lhrust, it makes getting around so much more fun.

Onyx Oblivion:

I've played through both Good and Evil, And I have to say that the Good path is the way to go. The Evil powers just felt very flat to me, and the powers you receive from Nix aren't that much to write home about neither.

Where as the Good path gives you the Magnum Bolt, the Bolt Stream, the Ice Launch (FUCKING AWESOME), and the ability to recharge some of your energy after hitting an enemy with any Bolt attack.

However, the final mission as Evil Cole was pretty Goddamn sweet!

I do miss the ability to automatically recharge as you're skimming along power lines.

Really? i kind of liked the story in infamous cause of 2 elements:

1. The knowledge of the beast's proximity added tension, like you said.

2. There were decent character arcs: Good Cole had to think harder about certain decisions and responsibilities and began to appreciate zeke and forgive him, zeke became more active in helping Cole in hopes of repairing their friendship (Although his technical knowledge skyrocketed in relation to the first game). Together the two had a kind of drinking buddies relationship that was kind of broken in the end of the last game and show signs of being repaired in this game. Kuo after being traumitized from experimentation and initially scared about her new powers began to relax and come to terms with them and it did not alter her philosophy of helping the citizens of New Marais. The final decision, while I understand the shock-value in it (you should know what I'm talking about if you play it), more demonstrated that it was another burden on her having powers and this time she couldn't take it.

Oh, also ICE POWERS RULE!

Casual Shinji:

Onyx Oblivion:

I've played through both Good and Evil, And I have to say that the Good path is the way to go. The Evil powers just felt very flat to me, and the powers you receive from Nix aren't that much to write home about neither.

Where as the Good path gives you the Magnum Bolt, the Bolt Stream, the Ice Launch (FUCKING AWESOME), and the ability to recharge some of your energy after hitting an enemy with any Bolt attack.

However, the final mission as Evil Cole was pretty Goddamn sweet!

I do miss the ability to automatically recharge as you're skimming along power lines.

Evil also gets EXP from killing civvies. So...that's a big point in it's favor, though.

I kinda miss not having infinite-basic-attack, though. Electricity is required for everything but a few R2 attacks, like KPulse and Frost Shield.

Also, does evil get a fire shield?

AlternatePFG:

Andrew_Mac:

Onyx Oblivion:

Ice launch is an awesome power, once I got it I never switched it out for anything.

I did. gotta throw a few cars at shit. Takes down a helicopter instantly.

Andrew_Mac:

AH HA, COMIC BOOK CONTINUALALITY WILL RAPE YOU WITH THE FACT THAT HE LOST SEVERAL POWERS WHEN FLOATING IN THE WATER IN THE BEGGING OF THE GAME!! No, I'm joking, but yeah, you lose your powers at the very beginning of the game.... AND WHAT ARE YOU PEOPLE DOING READING THIS, GO BUY THIS GAME, IT FUCKING RULES MAN!

I don't know, I thought the story was pretty damn awesome.

Anyone else really love that scene where it's just Cole and Zeke sitting around watching a movie?

I don't know why it worked so well, but it did. It really did.

Andrew_Mac:

AlternatePFG:

Andrew_Mac:

Oh my god! Why didn't I think of that?! It's such a pain downing helicopters before you get the missiles. Cars + helicoptors = awesome.

Greg

Onyx Oblivion:
Evil also gets EXP from killing civvies. So...that's a big point in it's favor, though.

I kinda miss not having infinite-basic-attack, though. Electricity is required for everything but a few R2 attacks, like KPulse and Frost Shield.

Also, does evil get a fire shield?

Yeah, but killing civvies gets really boring really quick.

And no, there's no Ice Shield equivalent for Evil Cole, but I never acually used the Ice Shield myself. For me it was the fact that Evil Cole didn't have the Ice Launch; I was seriously fucking addicted to launching myself into the air with glee.

But I can say that after you've played both Good and Evil paths, the game opens up every power regardless of the state of karma you happen to be. So even if you're pure evil you can still buy ice powers.

Greg Tito:

Andrew_Mac:

AlternatePFG:

Oh my god! Why didn't I think of that?! It's such a pain downing helicopters before you get the missiles. Cars + helicoptors = awesome.

Greg

Oh my god! Greg Tito quoted me! This is honestly the highlight of my year. But yes, cars defeat helicopters with ease. And most other things as well. I must say, considering how much you mentioned the car throwing in the video review, I'm surprised you forgot about it.

Just jumping out of the shadows to add to the gushing over Ice Launch. I mean, seriously, the only letdown in the first game for me was the lack of a cool way to get around like in the Spiderman games or Prototype. When I first started playing this, I thought the parkour was a bit tighter and the tram lines were an improvement, but it still wasn't quite there. Then, half way through the game it was like "O BTW, ICE LAUNCH!!" and suddenly everything fit together.

An order of magnitude better than the first game.

Greg Tito:

There has to be a German word for that. Not throwing cars at helicopters specifically, although maybe they have one for that too, but when you love to do something but never realize it can be used to take care of something you hate.

Hungry Donner:

Greg Tito:

There has to be a German word for that. Not throwing cars at helicopters specifically, although maybe they have one for that too, but when you love to do something but never realize it can be used to take care of something you hate.

There is.

I call it.

Helikopteronkeineautmobilerenkaboozken

Just rolls off the tongue.

Hungry Donner:

Greg Tito:

Why would it need to be German?

The word you're looking for is "epiphany."

Sounds a lot like the first. Luckily the first game was awesome. All I really think the game really needed was more places to act like a hero (At least in Spider-man 2 you could stop random muggings in Infamous you make a few choices then all you can do is shock to life people to be a good guy... boring). I was going to get this game anyways but at least now I know Greg Tito likes it too. (Even if he is a big dick in the game).

Shjade:
Why would it need to be German?

I was thinking of something along the lines of schadenfreude and gotterdammerung - a lengthy German word for a very specific concept that is used in English.

This is the biggest reason why I would get a PS3... once I have time and space for it.

Oh yeah, the lightning tether was pretty badass as well, too bad you had to pause the game to switch between that and the ice launch if you wanted to use them together, otherwise that would have been an awesome combo.

Onyx Oblivion:

I played thru as good first go round and finished my evil play thru on monday... it broke my heart did the evil ending (but maybe I'm too soft for my own good!)

GOTY so far for me and will remain that way till the influx of games in November

The one things I was a little bummed about was that I was trying to go all evil, but when you have the chance to merge with someone I really wanted them ice powers.

I made sure to read everything on screen a few times looking to see if it would switch my karma because I assumed they would tell you so as not to screw your path over. After not seeing anything I picked ice and bam! instantly good.

I ended up finishing the game as a good guy just cause I was already halfway there, but I just wish it would have been more clear.

And yes I'm aware that it seems pretty obvious that Kuo is good and Nix is evil and that picking either one would affect karma, but I think Sucker Punch would have made a good design decision by either making it obvious that this will screw your karma if you go opposite, or not having it effect your karma at all.

I mean come one, Ice Launch is AMAZING but being evil is such a fun way to play. Why make it more difficult for the player to customize their character to their liking?

One of the most memorable endings I've ever played, and the new ice and fire powers are a great addition to mix up gameplay. One of the many, many, MANY great games coming out this year.

inFamous 2, Uncharted 3, Resistance 3, Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite, AC: Revelations, Batman: Arkham City and Battlefield 3.

I have no doubt that inFamous will remain in my top games of all time. Sly Cooper is my fave game series, and inFamous came very close to topping that. SuckerPunch is eternal

Andrew_Mac:
Oh my god! Greg Tito quoted me! This is honestly the highlight of my year. But yes, cars defeat helicopters with ease. And most other things as well. I must say, considering how much you mentioned the car throwing in the video review, I'm surprised you forgot about it.

I know, that's what makes it even more frustrating. I used cars constantly in the boss bug battles but totally blanked when I was fighting something in the air.

Glad I could be the highlight of your year. :)

Greg

Greg Tito:
Infamous 2 Review

Come on baby, light my fire.

Read Full Article

Jim Approves.
I'm glad this game turned out well, and I'm hoping the world doesn't feel as dry of content.
I say this because upon playing Infamous 1, I completed all the side missions I could find before progressing the story (Which could have been the wrong approach).

Andrew_Mac:

Onyx Oblivion:

Good to know I'm not alone in my love for Ice Launch. That was the best power in the whole game! It was just fun to do. Useful for traveling, avoiding enemies, being awesome. You name it. I just wish Lightning Tether was easier to use in conjunction. They could have been an epic combination.

Just started an evil play-through. Can't wait to see what I get from Nix.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here