The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Review

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So, it's still a great game, but now it looks better?

Sounds perfect to me!

Normally, when it comes to the Ocarina of Time, I would think that a game review wouldn't be necessary, but now I think of those poor kids that were born after the game came out...

Sounds fair, but I can't help but wondering how you're holding your 3DS if you find pressing the L button to be such a huge pain. That part of the review is really, really weird.

...Oh and it was saria song.

Spoiler man strike again!

(I was joking, please see my agent for all of my posts)

The Z-targeting system with the original was a breakthrough using Nintendo 64 controller's trigger button to lock onto a target, but trying to defeat monsters and especially bosses using the shoulder button of the 3DS is not fun for anyone who isn't double-jointed.

I actually have double-jointed thumbs (annoying in most cases as I can't hold a pen in the normal way), so this is a plus, if you were being serious?

JoJoDeathunter:

The Z-targeting system with the original was a breakthrough using Nintendo 64 controller's trigger button to lock onto a target, but trying to defeat monsters and especially bosses using the shoulder button of the 3DS is not fun for anyone who isn't double-jointed.

I actually have double-jointed thumbs (annoying in most cases as I can't hold a pen in the normal way), so this is a plus, if you were being serious?

See, the way I (and I thought everyone else) hold it, you would have your thumb on the circle pad and hit L with your left index finger. I can't see why a double jointed thumb would help push L when your thumb shouldn't be going anywhere near L.

mjc0961:

JoJoDeathunter:

See, the way I (and I thought everyone else) hold it, you would have your thumb on the circle pad and hit L with your left index finger. I can't see why a double jointed thumb would help push L when your thumb shouldn't be going anywhere near L.

The thumb itself wouldn't push L but the extra-bending ability of the thumb could mean that it would be easily to simutaleously control the pad and press L with the index finger. At-least that's I what I assume they meant, this is all conjecture as I don't actually own a 3DS yet and the traditional DS lacks the circle pad to test my theory on.

Yeah, I think I'm going to go ahead and just plug in my 64 and save me some cash. Nothing in the 3DS launch has convinced me I must own it. Plus, there's always my crap eyesight which may or may not work with 3D... who knows, I don't.

Besides, I think Majora's Mask is a superior game to Ocarina of Time. If that had been a lineup game I might have given it a second thought.

Some of my fondest memories come from playing ocarina of time but playing it 8 1/2 times is enough for me. I still might consider buying it but only after I buy a 3DS which at this point doesn't seem worth it by a longshot (no pun intended). Thanks for all the points in the review.

Every gamer over the age of 18 i think remember the godliness that was Ocarina of Time

I'm 19 and I have have fond memories of it too...

mjc0961:
Sounds fair, but I can't help but wondering how you're holding your 3DS if you find pressing the L button to be such a huge pain. That part of the review is really, really weird.

Did they add a big metal spike to the L button on the 3DS' design or something? Because I thought it was pretty much the exact same as the DSi line and that's just fine.

JoJoDeathunter:

mjc0961:

JoJoDeathunter:

The thumb itself wouldn't push L but the extra-bending ability of the thumb could mean that it would be easily to simutaleously control the pad and press L with the index finger. At-least that's I what I assume they meant, this is all conjecture as I don't actually own a 3DS yet and the traditional DS lacks the circle pad to test my theory on.

That's hitchhiker's thumb, and I'm pretty sure that's not what he meant, as I have the same thumb. I think what he meant was a thumb that could bend from the first joint (knuckle, or whatever it's called) a bit further so it wouldn't be awkward to move all around and always have your finger ready on the l-button (or maybe you hold it, haven't played OoT in a long time).

OT: It's Ocarina of Time on a handheld. That's about it.

this is one of the reasons I got a 3ds at launch so woo

You forgot that the reason that people want this on a handheld is because they can play it anywhere, so yes, they would rather have this than the n64 version if they are going on a plane or a bus trip and want to play a fun game.

Andothul:
Every gamer over the age of 18 i think remember the godliness that was Ocarina of Time

I'm 18, and I have never ever played OoT.
Luckily i'm getting my copy on the 27th day (My birthday :3)

JBGigas:

Andothul:

I'm 18, and I have never ever played OoT.
Luckily i'm getting my copy on the 27th day (My birthday :3)

Don't feel bad, I'm way over 18 and I've never finished it. I even bought it for the virtual console and couldn't bring myself to play past the bit with the goros. (And this is from someone who has played through Twilight Princess 3 times.)

Master Quest actually revamped all of the dungeons in a "We're kicking you in the balls with steel toed boots" kind of way with Game Cube version, I can't imagine that not being the case in the 3DS version. Just reversing the old dungeons doesn't even make the puzzles more difficult, just slightly disorienting until you're used to it.

JoJoDeathunter:

The circle pad on the 3DS is in the same place as the d-pad on a DSi or DS Lite. If you have no problem with those, there should be no problem with a 3DS either.

Jumwa:
Did they add a big metal spike to the L button on the 3DS' design or something? Because I thought it was pretty much the exact same as the DSi line and that's just fine.

Nope. This is my confusion. I know that holding down a button for a while can hurt your finger, that part makes sense. The part about having to move your hand in ways previously not thought possible is what's confusing as all hell for me. Unless I'm misunderstanding something about how this game is going to work, it's easy.

I have only ever beaton the game once so Ill go replay it, even though I could play it on the N64 with the red blood, and original mirror shield and chanting, or on my gamecube with my windwaker pre-order disc, I have been waiting to replay it on my DS.

Aerograt:
Master Quest actually revamped all of the dungeons in a "We're kicking you in the balls with steel toed boots" kind of way with Game Cube version, I can't imagine that not being the case in the 3DS version. Just reversing the old dungeons doesn't even make the puzzles more difficult, just slightly disorienting until you're used to it.

Ya, the original Master Quest was a Wind Waker pre-order reward. I imagine they just ported it over for the 3DS instead of making an entirely new set of dungeons.

My preorder is waiting at Gamestop as I type this... too bad it doesn't come out till Sunday for me ;3;

oh man, this must be the guy from the burger king commercial if hes complaining about hitting the L button on a handheld.

Thanks, but no thanks... I'll probably never understand the Zelda phenomenon. I played original OoT, and there wasn't a single thing (gameplay, world, plot, graphic, sound, characters, ANYTHING) that would draw me in enough to finish it, and the so often thrown 'best game ever' title baffles me every single time I hear about it. I also doubt that making it 3D will change anything in my point of view. It would be nice though if Nintendo would stop making all those re-mixes of their classics and started putting some valuable stuff on the handheld.

Wind Waker used L targeting and I don't recall anyone complaining about that.

mjc0961:
Nope. This is my confusion. I know that holding down a button for a while can hurt your finger, that part makes sense. The part about having to move your hand in ways previously not thought possible is what's confusing as all hell for me. Unless I'm misunderstanding something about how this game is going to work, it's easy.

I'm finding more and more these days I can't read a review anywhere that doesn't contain some complaint that completely baffles me. Like when someone complains about a lack of a feature that is indeed in the game, or complains about something that doesn't exist in another. Or in this case, complaining about the placement of a button on the system--not the game itself being reviewed--that's in a completely standard and unproblematic position.

I've been playing OOT since 9am, it's awesome. Hopefully it'll sell well, that way they can release Majora's Mask!

I don't get the thing about the L targeting. I just tried it and I didn't have a problem. You guys must have some big ass sausage fingers.

So buying this game. I mean I have the original, but I never got round to completing it. Even if the controls can be a bit dodgy, PORTABLE OoT? Well, seeing as a fair few consider it the best game of all time, consider me SOLD!

Got it yesterday and instantly fell in love with the land of Hyrule all over again. Brilliant remake (although im annoyed they changed the sound a Goron makes when he/she wakes up)

I understand what the reviewer is getting at, but you can't blame the game for having weird shoulder buttons, that's a fault with the hardware.

majoras mask is better but if i ever get a 3ds might consider buying this. but first the 3ds must have a good line up of games and remakes/rehashes of past game are excluded from the list.

It looks absolutely fantastic. Like they took the original and smoothed out the odd little point graphics here and there of the original and added a bit more detail. Add a Majora's Mask 3DS and you got me sold. The graphics were a good choice...unlike Skyward Sword that looks like after they perfected the graphics of the universe in Twilight Princess they fell over, bumped their head, and discovered some Claymation CGI Abominable Hybrid.

OoT 3D [x]
Skyward Sword [ ]

It's a sad day when someone says that the N64 controller is better than something else. I'm just glad my fingers were long enough to be able to hold it the way I did.

I'll wait until they release this version on a home console. It's not the kind of a game I want to play on a handheld.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here