The Escapist's Favorite Games of E3 2011

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Escapist's Favorite Games of E3 2011

From Asura to Zelda, we pick our favorite games from the show.

Read Full Article

I mostly can't wait for Arkham City at the moment.

I want whatever comes out first. So that's probably Arkham City.

Time to perfect me ultimate Batman zen... again! I couldn't be happier!

Saints Row: The Third.

it will be the most underrated game of the year thanks to Cash-In of Duty (which i'm glad to see didn't get a mention... HA!)

Rocksmith? Never heard of it. Sounds like just another... wait... is he...?

OH. MY. GOD.

EDIT: With The Elder Scrolls V on the way, I didn't think I had room to be excited about anything else. I might just burst.

Dark Souls and Skyrim are my two most anticipated games, im getting a ton of new hardware for my PC for Skyrim[1] and probably going to get a new PS3 for Dark Souls as im moving out of my Dads house and therefor will lose the use of my brothers one.

[1] My PC has been needing an upgrade for a while now, Skyrim just happens to be the game that pushes that need over the precipice

I really liked Space Marine. The demo levels were pretty tame in their scope but the combat was awesome and visceral.

The Old Republic was a big highlight for me as well and I think TERA might be a solid title whenever it comes out.

I can't wait for Bioshock: Infinite.

Gunfights and rollercoasters in the sky, oh my!

I disappoint at the lack pf Space Marine. Besides that, a wonderful list. Can't wait for Battlefield 3 as well!

I could see why people who actually attended E3 would be so impressed by BF3. Apparently, there was some really good hands-on stuff.

However, the gameplay footage they showed at the EA press conference was just tanks. And, you know what, I like tanks. But that didn't look exciting, fun, hell, it didn't look like anything. Were we supposed to marvel over the technicalities or something? Boo-hoo.

Azaraxzealot:

it will be the most underrated game of the year thanks to Cash-In of Duty (which i'm glad to see didn't get a mention... HA!)

I have no idea how you did it, but you managed to encompass most of the things I hate about this community in two measly sentences. Bravo, sir.

I bet you felt really proud of yourself when you came up with Cash-In of Duty. Tell me, do you by any chance still spell Microsoft like "M$"?

What was that thing you typed even supposed to mean? Underrated? They don't compete in the same field, they are different fucking genres. Nobody compares Saints Row to Call of Duty.

Was Saints Row 2 by any chance underrated? Do you even know what that means? Did you see what the Escapist thinks of SR2, especially in comparison with GTA IV.

I'm guessing you meant that because of CoD: MW3, SR3 will underperform in sales, but I guess I'll probably never know and I really don't want to.

I've got my hype on for Bioshock Infinite and Mass Effect 3. Vaguely interested in Skyrim.

As for the rest... meh. A few mildly promising morsels, but nothing memorable.

JourneyThroughHell:
I could see why people who actually attended E3 would be so impressed by BF3. Apparently, there was some really good hands-on stuff.

However, the gameplay footage they showed at the EA press conference was just tanks. And, you know what, I like tanks. But that didn't look exciting, fun, hell, it didn't look like anything. Were we supposed to marvel over the technicalities or something? Boo-hoo.

Azaraxzealot:

I have no idea how you did it, but you managed to encompass most of the things I hate about this community in two measly sentences. Bravo, sir.

I bet you felt really proud of yourself when you came up with Cash-In of Duty. Tell me, do you by any chance still spell Microsoft like "M$"?

What was that thing you typed even supposed to mean? Underrated? They don't compete in the same field, they are different fucking genres. Nobody compares Saints Row to Call of Duty.

Was Saints Row 2 by any chance underrated? Do you even know what that means? Did you see what the Escapist thinks of SR2, especially in comparison with GTA IV.

I'm guessing you meant that because of CoD: MW3, SR3 will underperform in sales, but I guess I'll probably never know and I really don't want to.

actually, i love microsoft, i see them as an innovative company of consumer friendly individuals. i just hate cash-in of duty because sometimes games get delayed or otherwise suffer from its success. it's also put the industry into a state of creative bankruptcy due to the massive piles of money it makes.

and by underrated, i mean it won't sell as well as it should. GTA 4 is one of the best-selling games of all time. Saints Row is only above a million sales and suffers from lower review scores.

How cash-in of duty affects Saints Row even though they are not in the same fields? simple. the media blitz for cash-in of duty completely eclipses that of saints row: the third, causing less sales and maybe even a delay just so it doesn't have to compete with cash-in of duty's launch window.

Azaraxzealot:

actually, i love microsoft, i see them as an innovative company of consumer friendly individuals. i just hate cash-in of duty because sometimes games get delayed or otherwise suffer from its success. it's also put the industry into a state of creative bankruptcy due to the massive piles of money it makes.

Oh, so your hatred for it has nothing to do with the actual games. It's just that it "hurts the industry!!11!1111". 'kay then.

Azaraxzealot:

and by underrated, i mean it won't sell as well as it should. GTA 4 is one of the best-selling games of all time. Saints Row is only above a million sales and suffers from lower review scores.

Wait... so? The review scores are determined by sales? Or the sales are determin... what?!

What. does CoD. have to do. with SR2 review scores? If nothing, then it has NOTHING to do with it being underrated.

Also, 83 on Metacritic works fine for SR2, thank you very much.

Azaraxzealot:

How cash-in of duty affects Saints Row even though they are not in the same fields? simple. the media blitz for cash-in of duty completely eclipses that of saints row: the third, causing less sales and maybe even a delay just so it doesn't have to compete with cash-in of duty's launch window.

You know what other game you could say that about? SKYRIM. BF3. ME3.

Face it, there's nothing wrong about the apparent lack of exposure SR3 gets, provided it's a game from a series you enjoy.

Also...

Azaraxzealot:

Do I sense someone trying too hard?

If you're trying to troll me, it's not working. Maybe you can make a post in lieu with your previous one, that seemed to get me more riled up. If you're trying to be funny... I think you've guessed what I think of that.

Azaraxzealot:

I don't really understand why people feel the need to do this. The Call of Duty games are by all respects (including numerous articles in gaming journals and entertainment journals extolling the virtues of the game), considered very well made games. You don't like the COD series, we get it. Why do you feel the need to bash it every chance you get? Because it is popular? This makes no sense to me.

Also, Saints Row the Third won't be underrated by any means. I'm fairly certain anything with a 3 after it's title, is selling well enough to be considered mainstream.

Okay, wait, you respond to these things, let's see...

Azaraxzealot:
i just hate cash-in of duty because sometimes games get delayed or otherwise suffer from its success. it's also put the industry into a state of creative bankruptcy due to the massive piles of money it makes.

You really should back up your baseless accusations with some citations.

I have 2 other problems with this statement.

1. Any game can suffer from the success of a big franchise. In business, if you make the decision to go up against a juggernaut of a series, say something like Elder Scrolls, then you have to know your game is going to be eclipsed. In my opinion, the game industry is suffering more from the archaic idea that games are like toys and thus must be released in the fall to get into the Christmas season because the only people who buy games are parents who get them for their children. This is a ridiculous model. Games are just like movies and more blockbusters should be released all year round. If the developers were smarter with their release schedules, I don't think they'd have as big a problem. But they are stuck in this mindset, and have been for as long as I have been gaming.

2. Have you seen the game slate for this year? Maybe we aren't looking at the same E3, but I fail to see how the gaming industry is in a "state of creative bankruptcy." Really now? Ubisoft could have been the only company coming out with new games and I'd still doubt this proclamation that gaming innovation is dying.

Lower review scores are warranted. I love Saint's Row 2, but it is a buggy fucking mess. I pretty much counted on at least one crash every 1.5 hours. That is unacceptable. GTA4 didn't have that problem at all. There is also something to be said about the depth of GTA4's general storytelling. While SR2 was funny fluff, it was still fluff. Most of the reviews I read admitted that. They also still suggested people buy it.

If they delay it, that would be a smart move. I plan to buy both. I know I'm not the only one. Some people might have difficulty buying all the games they want to this fall. Spreading them out to get the most sales is not showing how much your game will fail, it's smart business sense.

meganmeave:

Azaraxzealot:

I don't really understand why people feel the need to do this. The Call of Duty games are by all respects (including numerous articles in gaming journals and entertainment journals extolling the virtues of the game), considered very well made games. You don't like the COD series, we get it. Why do you feel the need to bash it every chance you get? Because it is popular? This makes no sense to me.

Also, Saints Row the Third won't be underrated by any means. I'm fairly certain anything with a 3 after it's title, is selling well enough to be considered mainstream.

Okay, wait, you respond to these things, let's see...

Azaraxzealot:
i just hate cash-in of duty because sometimes games get delayed or otherwise suffer from its success. it's also put the industry into a state of creative bankruptcy due to the massive piles of money it makes.

You really should back up your baseless accusations with some citations.

I have 2 other problems with this statement.

1. Any game can suffer from the success of a big franchise. In business, if you make the decision to go up against a juggernaut of a series, say something like Elder Scrolls, then you have to know your game is going to be eclipsed. In my opinion, the game industry is suffering more from the archaic idea that games are like toys and thus must be released in the fall to get into the Christmas season because the only people who buy games are parents who get them for their children. This is a ridiculous model. Games are just like movies and more blockbusters should be released all year round. If the developers were smarter with their release schedules, I don't think they'd have as big a problem. But they are stuck in this mindset, and have been for as long as I have been gaming.

2. Have you seen the game slate for this year? Maybe we aren't looking at the same E3, but I fail to see how the gaming industry is in a "state of creative bankruptcy." Really now? Ubisoft could have been the only company coming out with new games and I'd still doubt this proclamation that gaming innovation is dying.

Lower review scores are warranted. I love Saint's Row 2, but it is a buggy fucking mess. I pretty much counted on at least one crash every 1.5 hours. That is unacceptable. GTA4 didn't have that problem at all. There is also something to be said about the depth of GTA4's general storytelling. While SR2 was funny fluff, it was still fluff. Most of the reviews I read admitted that. They also still suggested people buy it.

If they delay it, that would be a smart move. I plan to buy both. I know I'm not the only one. Some people might have difficulty buying all the games they want to this fall. Spreading them out to get the most sales is not showing how much your game will fail, it's smart business sense.

but i'd rather not wait to hit people with giant purple dildos and shoot people into skyscrapers just so all the high school kids can go "heh heh, DOOD! i totally knifed that guy what was about to kill me, yo!"

and if saints row 2 was crashing every 1.5 hours you must have had a bad copy or a bad port, because my xbox version never crashed.

Azaraxzealot:

but i'd rather not wait to hit people with giant purple dildos and shoot people into skyscrapers just so all the high school kids can go "heh heh, DOOD! i totally knifed that guy what was about to kill me, yo!"

This here, this is a prime example of "What is this? I don't even?"

In the same sentence you sing the praises of bashing people with dildos you belittle the COD audience by calling them teenagers.

But since you wrote this sentence, perhaps you need it's ridiculousness explained to you:

1. Bashing people with dildos is apparently not appealing to the teen demographic. Really?

2. For some reason, teenagers speak in a mixture of English cockney, Prinny speak, Beavis and Butthead laugh and... I believe that is early 90s ghetto vernacular. Nice.

3. I am about as far from being a high school kid as one on the Escapist gets. I know at least a dozen people who play the COD series who aren't "high school kids."

and if saints row 2 was crashing every 1.5 hours you must have had a bad copy or a bad port, because my xbox version never crashed.

Because if it didn't happen to you, then your experience is the only one that matters?

Sorry, but the game was buggy. as. hell. I played it on Xbox, as did my older brother. We both had identical problems.

meganmeave:

Azaraxzealot:

This here, this is a prime example of "What is this? I don't even?"

In the same sentence you sing the praises of bashing people with dildos you belittle the COD audience by calling them teenagers.

But since you wrote this sentence, perhaps you need it's ridiculousness explained to you:

1. Bashing people with dildos is apparently not appealing to the teen demographic. Really?

2. For some reason, teenagers speak in a mixture of English cockney, Prinny speak, Beavis and Butthead laugh and... I believe that is early 90s ghetto vernacular. Nice.

3. I am about as far from being a high school kid as one on the Escapist gets. I know at least a dozen people who play the COD series who aren't "high school kids."

Because if it didn't happen to you, then your experience is the only one that matters?

Sorry, but the game was buggy. as. hell. I played it on Xbox, as did my older brother. We both had identical problems.

oh you're talking about saints row 1? yeah, THAT one was a lot worse than saints row 2 (even though it was still pretty good, all things considered). plus, it tried to be a straight-up GTA clone, so the criticisms are justified. but in saints row 2? all the criticisms i hear are kinda drowned out when i'm skydiving naked out of a jet into the middle of a group of old ladies that i then slap into space with my giant foam hand flipping them off at the same time.

and as for the first response? i could always take the "moviebob" route and refer to the demographic as "douchebags".

it's a simple fact that most people who play cash-in of duty are between the ages of 12 and 18 (if statistics are to be believed)

I like how the only three things that weren't games were from Nintendo.

Azaraxzealot:

oh you're talking about saints row 1? yeah, THAT one was a lot worse than saints row 2 (even though it was still pretty good, all things considered). plus, it tried to be a straight-up GTA clone, so the criticisms are justified. but in saints row 2? all the criticisms i hear are kinda drowned out when i'm skydiving naked out of a jet into the middle of a group of old ladies that i then slap into space with my giant foam hand flipping them off at the same time.

No, I'm talking about both of them. Both Saint's Row games are buggy as hell. The freezing up issue is in particular reference to SR2. A simple google search will show you that I am indeed, not the only one who had this problem. Here, I'll help you out with that.

http://www.google.com/search?q=saints+row+2+freezing

and as for the first response? i could always take the "moviebob" route and refer to the demographic as "douchebags".

Yes, because Moviebob is so damned respectable on that front.

it's a simple fact that most people who play cash-in of duty are between the ages of 12 and 18 (if statistics are to be believed)

I might be inclined to be believe such statistics if you show them to me. Otherwise, I call shenanigans on this here statement. It is not a simple fact if you cannot back it up with sources. At this point, your assertion is pure conjecture. Conjecture I might add, based on no facts whatsoever, which makes you seem all the sillier and less reliable for making such assertions.

Even if the sales do trend steeply to a teenage demographic, which I doubt, if 30% of the millions of people who bought the game are over twenty, then that means that of the 7 million people who bought Black Ops on the first day(see here, this is a citation and how it's done.) then that means that roughly 2.1 million people who bought the game on launch day are not teenagers. That's an awful lot of people you are lumping in with your generalization, which again, is completely unfounded by any factual source.

meganmeave:

Azaraxzealot:

No, I'm talking about both of them. Both Saint's Row games are buggy as hell. The freezing up issue is in particular reference to SR2. A simple google search will show you that I am indeed, not the only one who had this problem. Here, I'll help you out with that.

Yes, because Moviebob is so damned respectable on that front.

I might be inclined to be believe such statistics if you show them to me. Otherwise, I call shenanigans on this here statement. It is not a simple fact if you cannot back it up with sources. At this point, your assertion is pure conjecture. Conjecture I might add, based on no facts whatsoever, which makes you seem all the sillier and less reliable for making such assertions.

Even if the sales do trend steeply to a teenage demographic, which I doubt, if 30% of the millions of people who bought the game are over twenty, then that means that of the 7 million people who bought Black Ops on the first day(see here, this is a citation and how it's done.) then that means that roughly 2.1 million people who bought the game on launch day are not teenagers. That's an awful lot of people you are lumping in with your generalization, which again, is completely unfounded by any factual source.

I believe this was it.

if you look at the trailer's statistics you'll see it's mostly watched by 13-17 year olds, so i can assume that mostly 13-17 year olds like (and therefore play) cash-in of duty. also, in a survey i conducted at my little brother's high school juxtaposed with the results of surveying those at my college it's safe to say that in high school, the kids are playing cash-in of duty, and in college, the people are playing battlefield.

i can't provide links on those (and i'm sure you'll call shenanigans on that too just to troll me) but i can tell you the numbers speak for themselves. Plus whenever my brother plays online whenever anyone talks they're high-pitched and insulting people's mothers non-stop.

Well there is my list hidden in yours...strange that your thought van passed my house.

3. Mass effect 3 360

2. Saints row the third pc or 360

1. Skyrim PC

And thus my life will be lost to those games as well as the older ones I still play.

Azaraxzealot:

I looked through the list praying it wouldn't be mentioned.

Also, why did he seem to think he's the only one who prefers SR2 to GTAIV? On this site??? I mean I'm absolutely in fucking love with GTAIV and the only thing between it and my all time top 5 list is Vice City but here I thought I was a minority in this community for how outspoken people are in favor of SR2 comparred to GTA. In fact I think I've seen the term "The real GTA sequel" or some variation of it about 50 000 times.

Well, you got me excited for a few titles I hadn't even heard of, nice job!
For me, the big thing at E3 are always the press conferences, but there were some nice games as well. The fact that the first Bioshock would get bundled with Infinite on the PS3 sold me instantly, and while I'm scared Arkham City will be too big, I'm definitely interested. Also, Skyrim sold me on TES for the first time ever and I've started to look out for twisted metal and rayman, but will probably wait for a price drop.

Ai-Yi-Yi!

Definately want the new LoZ stuff.

My interest in ME was killed in ME2, and it seems that the power creep of ME is increasing exponentially if a machinegun will kill a fully grown reaper now.

Can't wait for Mass Effect 3 and Halo Anniversary here. Also, did Deus Ex: Human Revolution show up at E3? If so, that.

So the Escapist's Favorite Games of E3 2011, is every big budget title at E3?
Make a top 5 I dare you.

Mass Effect 3, Skyrim and Arkham City all look to be great games. Looking forward to them.

As a side note, no Assassin's Creed: Revelations? From what I saw, it looked pretty good.

Azaraxzealot:

I believe this was it.

if you look at the trailer's statistics you'll see it's mostly watched by 13-17 year olds, so i can assume that mostly 13-17 year olds like (and therefore play) cash-in of duty. also, in a survey i conducted at my little brother's high school juxtaposed with the results of surveying those at my college it's safe to say that in high school, the kids are playing cash-in of duty, and in college, the people are playing battlefield.

Oh dear, where to start.... First of all, the link you provided me goes nowhere. So it proves nothing. Second, even if it did, you cannot assume that just because 13-17 years old watch a trailer, they are the only ones buying a game. Try doing that when you get to college on your first research paper. Tell me how that works out for you.

Thirdly, I guess I'll just use your own words to refute your "survey."

Azaraxzealot:

i'm more inclined to agree with professionals in the gaming industry than some random person on the internet.

Just to be clear on this... you aren't a professional in the gaming industry? You are in fact, a random person on the internet, are you not? Why exactly would I believe the results of a survey you conducted?

i can't provide links on those (and i'm sure you'll call shenanigans on that too just to troll me) but i can tell you the numbers speak for themselves.

I call your bluff. You aren't going to link me, because you don't have them. If you had links, you would have already given them to me.

As for my being a troll, I'm not the one running around bashing a game series simply because... well, you've never really given a good reason for this. I am merely refuting your claims. If people who give you reasoned responses to your scurrilous accusations are trolls, then I think you are in for a harsh realization when you finally get to college, if that is indeed where you are headed. In the adult world, you can't just say, "X is true because I say so." unless you are Fox News and talking to people who don't care about actual facts.

Stating something and hoping people believe it simply on your word isn't going to happen with me. It is dreadfully ignorant of people to simply take a random post they saw on a forum and believe it as fact.

Plus whenever my brother plays online whenever anyone talks they're high-pitched and insulting people's mothers non-stop.

*sighs* Again, your random anecdote sounds like it was cut an pasted from another thread similarly bashing this franchise. Perhaps you're brother is mistaken, and really, you should be blaming women and not 12 year olds for the COD woes. After all, we have high pitched voices, and gaming women don't like mothers. In case you didn't realize, this was a joke intended to point out the ridiculousness of your assumption.

I could just as easily say that the reason you hear only high pitched "yo mamma" insults is because the vast majority of COD players are like me, in private parties not talking to the people we are in a match with. The only ones you are going to remember are the ones who talk the loudest.

At this point this is such a one sided debate it is really pity that is making me stop.

Azaraxzealot:

I believe this was it.

i can't provide links on those (and i'm sure you'll call shenanigans on that too just to troll me) but i can tell you the numbers speak for themselves. Plus whenever my brother plays online whenever anyone talks they're high-pitched and insulting people's mothers non-stop.

You still on here?

VERY WELL.

First of all, I'm pretty sure that if you look at statistics for any trailer (link for the one you're talking about, please, btw), you'll find out that a lot of young people watched it. Why? Because young people hang out on the Internet a lot and many older gamers don't really watch trailers.

But that's besides the point. Aside from your statement of "olololol, kids play it, kids SUCK", the only thing you brought up was the fact that there's a lot of trash-talking online. Yeah. It's not like we can see that in CS:S, Halo and every single popular online shooter ever made.

A game's quality has nothing to do with its fanbase. You might, of course, spin this and say that there are douchebags in CoD and, therefore, CoD is for douchebags. However, take this into account. The overwhelming majority of CoD players are silent. They don't trash-talk, they don't "insult people's mothers". Not that you would know that mind you, because judging by your posts your entire experience with CoD is seeing your brother play it a bunch of times.

And you know how the problem of the more loud, obnoxious people can be solved? I dunno. It's not like you can just not put on your microphone. It's not like party chat exists. It's not like there's a mute button.

Yeah, so. Good points there.

And on that list is two games that might buy when they have had a big drop in price a few years from now, but not a single game that I find to even remotely spark my interest.
It really sucks to have my taste in games...

linwolf:
And on that list is two games that might buy when they have had a big drop in price a few years from now, but not a single game that I find to even remotely spark my interest.
It really sucks to have my taste in games...

Huh, might I ask what that is? Not to start an argument or anything, I'm actually curious seeing as how this was a pretty diverse E3. Maybe you're a JRPG or RTS fan?

OT: Yea, Skyrim, ME3, and BF3 are already pre-ordered, so that should tell you how I feel about them, and Assassin's Creed Revelations will be getting the same honor next paycheck. Halo Anniversary might soon follow, as well as a certain game that I just cannot remember the name too, but I remember thinking it looked awesome. Over-strike? Over-load? Over-something or other, now I need to remember what it was called...

Sooo... no mention of Modern Warfare 3? :P

JourneyThroughHell:

To each his own, I guess, but I actually rather liked DICE's decision to show that bit. A lot of people complained that most of it was boring, but I just found it well-paced. The wait for them to hit the action was strangely thrilling. The MW3 demo, for example, was basically run, load, shoot, unexpected scripted event, etc. But it's much more intense if a fight doesn't start right over. This is why the B1's bombing run at the end juxtaposed so well with the rest of the trailer. Also, the bit with the tank operators rolling/falling out on fire was a bit of a hit to the stomach.

Well, that's why I at least liked the trailer. And if you felt you were missing out on the manshoot stuff, there was the Paris hands-on demo for that.

Anyway, no mention of DX3:HR? :/

meganmeave:

Huh, that's odd. I've played through both SR1 and 2 multiple times (on XBOX360) all the way to 100% completion, and they very rarely had issues on my system (I can remember only one time where SR2 froze, which given how many hours I put into those games is pretty good, IMO).

Of course, those two games I have installed on my drive rather than played from a disk. Could that be the difference? Are you playing from disk? Maybe try installing the game to your drive and see if that helps.

I've never heard of people having excessive freeze issues with those games. Not saying I don't believe you, it just seems weird for me to have no issues and other people to have it unplayable (one crash per 1.5 hours would be unplayable to me). I know people on PC had issues with SR2 (crappy port by a third party, here's to hoping Volition don't go down that route again), but this is really the first I've heard of issues on the XBOX with either game.

Could it be an overheating issue? Or low drive space on your system?

[EDIT: Apparently, clearing your memory cache fixes this problem for a lot of people. Give that a try. Hopefully that will help.]

Anyway, back OT: I am looking forward to SR:TT more than any other game on this list. Followed closely by Batman:AC. Oh, and Dead Island (although they aren't on this list, I guess they weren't at E3?).

All I know for sure is this:

I'm getting Far Cry 3.

For my silly consoles.

And praying it's not like Far Cry 1 with ridiculous AI. And not like 2, either.

Like...Far Cry 1 with Far Cry 2's more forgiving AI.

Really excited about Battlefield 3, but, I knew it would be awesome with everything they have been releasing, I am however really hyped now about the new ghost recon and Tomb Raider reboot.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here