Escapist Podcast: 006: E3, Sequels and Duke Nukem PR Fallout

006: E3, Sequels and Duke Nukem PR Fallout

This week, we discuss what we saw at and thought of E3, talk about the Duke Nukem PR incident and finish with your questions and what we've been playing recently.

Watch Video

Great episode. Probably my favorite so far. I loved the insight about the reviewer-developer relationship and those more obscure titles at E3 that I hadn't even heard of yet.

The question that's burning in my mind though is: what can be done to encourage new IP, and then actually have that be popular? Is there anything that can be done to bring the CoD/Halo/WoW people into new franchises so that they're profitable enough for developers to feel comfortable taking chances on new ideas?

Oh, and I just wouldn't be me without a tiny complaint. Sound leveling. Sometimes when you're talking about a subject, you tend to get pretty quiet. So I turn the volume up, and then the theme music will come in make me slightly more deaf than I already am. Not a huge deal, but something worth looking into. Thanks.

Game designers who want to be film directors? WASN'T ONE WING COMMANDER MOVIE ENOUGH?

What was the name of that game about the Boy, the monster, and the robot?

I replayed that bit a couple times and tried to google it, but I couldn't find the game. Probably spelling issues.

Nice episode. Thanks for the discussion of game journalism. I was also glad to hear Ms. Arendt stick up for the well-made, well-placed cutscene. I agree that games need to deliver good gameplay, but I choose the games I play for the narrative as well as the play mechanics, so I appreciate a good cutscene. I would hate to see developers back away from them entirely even if they need to continue experimenting with the implementation.

Wickerton:

Papo & Yo. (EDIT: Thanks to mcnally86 for the correction. Now if the blog I read would just fix it, I'd be less confused.)

Rehash of my PubClub post on the same topic:

And to anyone who doesn't get the "beacuase" joke:

Original audio.

From a review of this game.

The audio makes obvious something about the original review: The 'reviewer' never uses words of more than two syllables. (Unless you count "twenty-six" and "beacuase", for some strange reason.

Who was that dork that watches wrestling critically, he sounds lame.

You know, I too liked how Ms. Arendt stuck up for cut-scenes. I have been playing Mass Effect for the cut scenes. I also like to know I'm not the only that likes playing to good options in video games.

bdcjacko:
You know, I too liked how Ms. Arendt suck up for cut-scenes.

Errrr... "stuck" perhaps?

Formica Archonis:

bdcjacko:
You know, I too liked how Ms. Arendt suck up for cut-scenes.

Errrr... "stuck" perhaps?

Yeah...stuck. Stupid dyslexia.

Oh, I did remember it correctly. Blur Studios is responsible for a lot of the recent and best looking game cinematics. DC Universe, Batman Arkham City, The Force Unleashed I & II, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Dante's Inferno, Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2 & Infinite, Brink, Dragon Age, Fable II & III, Warhammer Online and the list goes on. That's all these guys.

Wickerton:

I replayed that bit a couple times and tried to google it, but I couldn't find the game. Probably spelling issues.

"Papo and yo" is the game. It looks like it is interesting. Also I have to thank Susan Arendt for the DS recommendations. I have a road trip coming up and this was just good timing.

Most importantly though I have been quoted 3 episodes in a row. I believe I get a job on the escapist now, like in the deal. Don't make me get quoted 3 times in the next podcast! I'm crazy I'll make you do it.

Slycne:
Oh, I did remember it correctly. Blur Studios is responsible for a lot of the recent and best looking game cinematics. DC Universe, Batman Arkham City, The Force Unleashed I & II, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Dante's Inferno, Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2 & Infinite, Brink, Dragon Age, Fable II & III, Warhammer Online and the list goes on. That's all these guys.

Then I like Blur studio's work.

I would like to comment on the use of cutscenes. I agree with the idea that I don't like seeing my character do things in a cutscene that I can't do in the game; however, cutscenes are really valuable for making me care about the story. I think one of the best uses is Red Dead Redemption because the cutscenes were all about story exposition. There were other parts of the story that occurred without cutscenes but you could easily have not paid attention to it.

I think cutscenes should be used when the story simply needs to take control over the character so that you don't miss what someone is saying or something that is happening.

Even though you only mentioned it at the end, I'm really looking forward to dead island. Amongst other things. This year and next are gonna be HUGE drains on my money.

Also, my parents are going on holiday on friday for 2 weeks. I need a game that will keep me entertained for them 2 weeks. Any suggestions?

Andrew_Mac:
Even though you only mentioned it at the end, I'm really looking forward to dead island. Amongst other things. This year and next are gonna be HUGE drains on my money.

Also, my parents are going on holiday on friday for 2 weeks. I need a game that will keep me entertained for them 2 weeks. Any suggestions?

Well, what platform do you have and what genres do you like?

Susan Arendt:

Andrew_Mac:

I have a PS3 and a DS (lite, not 3D) and i don't have a fave genre exactly. I like games that interest me, they don't have to be specific genres. So, if it can entertain me for a while, its a good game. If i get bored to fast, it's a bad game to me. Also, the more addictive, the better.

Andrew_Mac:

Susan Arendt:

Andrew_Mac:

I have a PS3 and a DS (lite, not 3D) and i don't have a fave genre exactly. I like games that interest me, they don't have to be specific genres. So, if it can entertain me for a while, its a good game. If i get bored to fast, it's a bad game to me. Also, the more addictive, the better.

Hmmm, well, ok, let me see. I'd recommend Viva Pinata (DS), or any Dragon Quest (DS) for a good time sink, or Disgaea (PS3). I also really loved Folklore on PS3, though you may have trouble finding it. Of course, if you haven't already played Oblivion, that's your two weeks right there.

Susan Arendt:

Andrew_Mac:

Susan Arendt:

Hmmm, well, ok, let me see. I'd recommend Viva Pinata (DS), or any Dragon Quest (DS) for a good time sink, or Disgaea (PS3). I also really loved Folklore on PS3, though you may have trouble finding it. Of course, if you haven't already played Oblivion, that's your two weeks right there.

Thanks very much. I'll look into them. And as for oblivion, i think i played it for half an hour at a friends once, but apart from that, never played it. So i may look into that as well.

The DS games, i shall probably purchase. I've been in need of good games on my DS that aren't pokemon.
And i've never even heard of Disgaea...

Thanks again for your help.

Susan Arendt:

Andrew_Mac:

Susan Arendt:

Wait, is Dragon Quest the same as the old school Dragon Warrior? I loved that game as a kid.

bdcjacko:

Susan Arendt:

Andrew_Mac:

Wait, is Dragon Quest the same as the old school Dragon Warrior? I loved that game as a kid.

Yup, same thing. They changed the name when it came Stateside. I personally prefer VI to IX, but that's just a matter of personal preference.

Susan Arendt:

bdcjacko:

Susan Arendt:

Yup, same thing. They changed the name when it came Stateside. I personally prefer VI to IX, but that's just a matter of personal preference.

I only played the first one for summers on end.

brb, I am going to fight a slime.

Freaking lol'd at Call of Pinata. "Tango Down, get your candy! Weeeeeeeee!" xD

I am really enjoying these pod casts, but please turn Russ's mic up.

Galaxy613:
Freaking lol'd at Call of Pinata. "Tango Down, get your candy! Weeeeeeeee!" xD

I am really enjoying these pod casts, but please turn Russ's mic up.

Yeah, not to be a rusty wheel, but the only person I can clearly hear 99% of the time is Susan. I have a heard time hearing the dudes, all of them. I don't really recognize whose voice is whose yet. But I have to keep turning the volume up.

Rockstar, I just want you to know that I will buy L.A. Noire when it's available on Steam. I'm very interested in the game, but I don't own a PS3 or 360, and your game alone isn't enough to make me want to buy one.

"Dude Lost his Shit"...I like it. Concise, not very succinct but still awesome.

Great podcast guys!

Thanks for clearing up some of the PR/Reviewer stuff, I think you guys do an excellent job when it comes to your reviews!

I aslo think the majority of us understand it's a difficult position to be in.

@RussPitts
and his speech in regards to Sony handling the security issue at E3:

I see what you did thar ;) Well put.

I was thinking about the general complaint that everything seems static at E3. I had two thoughts on this. First is that gaming isn't static, just big brand name console based gaming. I'm constantly finding games on Steam that I've never heard of before and that are really exploring what games can be. The other thought I had about this relates to the current state of the gaming industry. In 2006, 2007 and 2008, the industry as a whole saw nothing but gains. Each year the net spent on gaming increased. Since then, however, it's been a different story. The industry has been losing money and this puts them in a position where they don't have the same freedom to try out new things. I'd bet that when the economy picks up, there will be more new IPs coming into development. As it stands, there just isn't the investment capital available for new stuff.

Well, I would call this a very entertaining podcast. I was enjoying myself quite a bit, with the humor and and all that.

This is the obligatory Left 4 dead had infected, not zombies comment. Okay, enough about that now.

I think E3 was pretty much a bust this year in terms of well, anything.

Hey!I thoroughly enjoyed this and I also felt like a part of the group(as in I understood most of the references and genuinely giggled at some shit).You also make fine points that I've always wondered about.Think you nailed it this time.

Oh god, im going crazy, when Susan Arendt said "Bea-cua-se" (because) like that, what was she referring too? I cant remember and its so frustrating, aarrrrrr

The Escapist Staff:
006: E3, Sequels and Duke Nukem PR Fallout

This week, we discuss what we saw at and thought of E3, talk about the Duke Nukem PR incident and finish with your questions and what we've been playing recently.

Watch Video

Hi, I'm the guy who claims to be able to watch wrestling critically. And I can tell you how CM Punk's "shoot" interview from Monday June 27, 2011 is both a good interview but full of cheap heat. Just in case anyone wonders how to possibly watch wrestling critically.

Awesome reference, Susan! I loved that "beacoase~" impression! xD

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here