311: We Don't Need No Education

We Don't Need No Education

Media Molecule's John Beech shows that to be a game developer, sometimes all you need is a PS3 and a lot of creativity

Read Full Article

TL;DR version
This guy is living the dream.

This reminds me of the guy who was working on World of Starcraft, that got brought to the Blizzard studios...
Not sure what exactly happened to him after that, but I'm sure WoS will be out sometime in 2050.

I'll just leave this here...

Who ever said that sitting around playing video games all day never got you a job?

"We Don't Need No Education".

Yes you do, you've just used a double negative. =D

Wow that is one hell of a story, see kids you don't need school at all :P
Just need to win a lottery...

Anyone has a list of those levels?

Mr.K.:
Wow that is one hell of a story, see kids you don't need school at all :P
Just need to win a lottery...

Anyone has a list of those levels?

this!

and, now that he has been corrupted, just how long can he dazzle and win the approval of his peers? sure enough he's gonna learn and maybe do some code or whatthefuckever game devs need to know. but then, wouldn't he be just another part of the dev team?

enough with the pessimistic view tho, i for one am happy about the fucker.

I feel inadequate once again. John Beech, you have my deepest respect, and if I owned a PS3 with LBP, I would now hurridly download all your levels.

That's just damn amazing. I'm glad this guy got his dream job. I tip my hat off to you!

Heartwarming story. This article could be tv news material.

Sweet story, and great work writing it.

"...From not having any experience to be working at one of the best game companies in the world, it was such a quantum leap for me. It absolutely blew my mind."

So, a smallest possible leap, then?

itezel2:

News?!!!! FOX NEWS perhaps?

As someone who also did work on a game mod (NWN) and got contacted by the company for a job opportunity (BioWare), I can echo his actions, however I did go to a 2y comp.gfx course, as opposed to a game development one.

Going to a school isn't as important as actually making use of available mod tools and making your own stuff. A piece of paper doesn't mean much unless you can actually show you can do the job and show creativity in this industry.

Wilko316:

Guess what?!

Nobody cares.
This story is full of awesome! It even makes me inspired.

The Stonker:

Wilko316:

Guess what?!

Nobody cares.

It was a joke from The I.T. Crowd ... I'm not even sure what else to say, your comment made me laugh alot.

Torrasque:
TL;DR version
This guy is living the dream.

This reminds me of the guy who was working on World of Starcraft, that got brought to the Blizzard studios...
Not sure what exactly happened to him after that, but I'm sure WoS will be out sometime in 2050.

This reminds me of this illustrator that did fanart for Star Wars all his life and got hired by Lucas Arts as a concept artist

Wanna know something else about this guy?

He almost got killed right befor he got the jobb. He was crushed under a pile of dirt.
And that was just one of the many times he was close to die.

Pontus Hashis:
Wanna know something else about this guy?

He almost got killed right befor he got the jobb. He was crushed under a pile of dirt.
And that was just one of the many times he was close to die.

Well, luckily Baron Munchausen got a job at Media Molecule.

Seriously though, awesome story. I remember seeing some postings on MM and thinking how awesome it would be to work there. Glad to see someone from the community made it.

Wilko316:

Really?... Really?

Wilko316:

The Stonker:

Wilko316:

Guess what?!

Nobody cares.

It was a joke from The I.T. Crowd ... I'm not even sure what else to say, your comment made me laugh alot.

The IT crowd? Isn't that show new? I remember that double negative joke existing usually tied down to some angry hispanic guy with a knife (or perhaps that's just my mind playing games with me)

Swifteye:

Wilko316:

The Stonker:

Guess what?!

Nobody cares.

The IT crowd? Isn't that show new? I remember that double negative joke existing usually tied down to some angry hispanic guy with a knife (or perhaps that's just my mind playing games with me)

It's relatively new yeah, but I don't remember that part. XD

Brandchan:

Wilko316:

Really?... Really?

... Yeah man really, it's a joke from a t.v. programme called The IT Crowd. XD

Wilko316:

Good someone made the obvious IT crowd joke, I am not needed here *flies away on a horse on fire with tits*

K V MAN:

itezel2:

News?!!!! FOX NEWS perhaps?

its not about how video games make people murder the shit out of people, Fox wouldnt run it.
OT: good for him. if you have a talent, it can help people in different industries. what will he be doing? helping work on physics engines while learning code.

Great story. Little Big Planet has gotten tons of recognition, and I still don't feel like it's gotten the recognition it deserves.

Wilko316:

Well actually, there is a difference between "We don't need no education" and saying "We do need education". The first means that an education doesn't exclude you, whereas the second is saying that you need an education to be included.

OT: I loved the story of him going in for the interview. It was just one of those hilarious, feel-good stories where it just lights up my day.

EDIT: Okay, it was a reference ... I stand by my words.

Biosophilogical:

Wilko316:

Well actually, there is a difference between "We don't need no education" and saying "We do need education". The first means that an education doesn't exclude you, whereas the second is saying that you need an education to be included.

OT: I loved the story of him going in for the interview. It was just one of those hilarious, feel-good stories where it just lights up my day.

EDIT: Okay, it was a reference ... I stand by my words.

Thanks for actually checking before you had a go at me, that's more than some people managed.
If you have a problem with it, go talk to whoever writes for The IT Crowd.

Wilko316:

Thats the first thing I thought when I saw the title. Then I come on here see you've made it, and see half the board shouting at you for it....thanks for being quicker than I! lol
...I love Moss.
Anyways O.P. its a good story and inspiring, until you realize its a one in a million chance, then it's a little depressing. lol

While education is of course important, so long as someone has the basic math and english, I've never really understood demanding '5 C grades or above at GCSE Level', so I'm applying for a job in insurance with your company, and I've passed exams in Maths, English, Religious Studies, Geography, History, and Art. There's six, only the two basics I stated above have any real relevance.

For many jobs, I think a simple sit down test for half an hour designed around the job would be more useful.

(Yes, I buggered up school, but I know a fair bit of stuff :) )

All I'm suggesting, is, like the tale here, surely someone who's interested in your job and can bring some unique skills, insight and creativity to it, despite not having many 'qualifications' is going to be a better hire than someone who needs something to pay the bill, but left school with ten A's in irrelevant subjects?

(Yes, I understand good grades show a health attitude to hard work, but still there's hard working kids who fail, and kids who breeze thru exams without really trying. I rarely scored under 97% in maths, yet I couldn't write creatively so dropped out of english, despite understand grammar, spelling punctuation and all the 'technical' aspects of English. When does writing stories become useful in most jobs? Unless you're in a call centre having to make up reasons why your company fucked up :D

Amazing story! Love reading positive new like this, makes life that much more enjoyable.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here