Escape to the Movies: Cars 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Mister Linton:

Tanfastic:
I loved cars, 3rd best in my book. How to Train your Dragon and Toy Story 3 still beat it though... Wasn't as big a fan of WallE... I don't get the hype for it :/

How to Train Your Dragon is Dreamworks, but I agree that it is better than Cars.

For fun, my pixar list goes:
1. Incredibles
2. Toy Story 3
3. Toy Story 2
4. Finding Nemo
5. Ratatuille
6. Cars
7. Toy Story
8. Up
9. Wall-E
10. A Bugs Life
11. Monsters Inc.

Really? I could've sworn it was Pixar... Well now my favorite is Toy Story 3.

Mine would be:
1. Toy Story 3
2. Cars
3. Up
4. Monsters Inc.
5. Toy Story 2
6. Finding Nemo
7. Incredibles
8. Ratatouille
9. A Bugs Life
10. Toy Story
11. Wall-E

But I still find all but Wall-E making it into what I call my "favorites" of any movie

Casual Shinji:
I remember If Looks Could Kill. A film famous for having the Mission Impossible movie rip off its explosive gum gadget.

And Pixar should really get Brad Bird back on board, he's responsible for the best movies in their stable.

You do know Brad Bird is working on a new Mission Impossible movie, right? Right? I mean, the irony is delicious here!

If Looks Could Kill is one of the greatest movies of all time, ever. At least, the parts that I remember from when I was 12 or so make it one of the greatest.

I think Bob lays out nicely why he is a poor reviewer for Cars in the beginning, which is fine. I don't listen to him because he doesn't have an opinion. But I'll take it with a Cars sized grain of salt.

After all I cried at the end of Cars. I dont feel it tried to do anything that be great - and was.

I know this may seem a bit off topic, but since Bob opened the video with the Green Lantern I figured I might as well post this little tidbit I found

OT:

1. Yes I remember "If Looks Could Kill", especially the scene with the scorpion.
2. You know I almost wanted to defend Cars, and all the racing references, but I don't want to give up my club ring.

Moeez:

Casual Shinji:
I remember If Looks Could Kill. A film famous for having the Mission Impossible movie rip off its explosive gum gadget.

And Pixar should really get Brad Bird back on board, he's responsible for the best movies in their stable.

You do know Brad Bird is working on a new Mission Impossible movie, right? Right? I mean, the irony is delicious here!

No shit!

I knew Brad was working on a live-action movie, but I didn't know it was M:I. Shame though, old Brad belongs in animation.

Well, that last part was genuinely frightening.

Moeez:

Casual Shinji:

That's not irony. That's coincidence. Sorry, but that always pisses me off.

Calbeck:
Myself, I was planning to give this film a pass, on basis of the trailer. It struck me as being a force-fed concept: Mater mistaken for an international spy and getting caught up in a huge international conspiracy? "The Tow Truck With One Red Tire", anyone?

Did you... Did you just refer to a French movie?
Oh, wait. I went to find the wikipedia article to link to, and saw there was an American remake, the title of which would match your reference. Aww.

On the subject of favourite Pixar films, I seem to be the only person who greatly preferred Toy Story to Toy Story 2. I remember going out of the theatre after seeing the second one and thinking "another sequel that doesn't live up to the original!" Still think it's okay, just not nearly as good in my opinion.
And yet, pretty much everyone else seems to like the second one not just better, but much better.

I know I've already been beaten to it (on the first page, nonetheless) but perhaps the Cars mmovies will go down as being the best Transformers prequels ever made, once Pixar announce that their next project will tell us that Mater is Optimus Prime's grandfather

Or perhaps we'll discover that the whole Cars world is just the product of the imagination of some kid, and all the cars are actually toys. Voila! Toy Story 4!

I'll stop now. Mainly because right now I can't think of a way to work Cars into another pre-existing Pixar property right now.

Wait a second here, the first Cars was panned by critics? ,:/ How did I miss this?

You say Mater's story is reminiscent of "If Looks Could Kill," but I thought it was more in line with "The Man Who Knew Too Little." If nothing else, it's a reference you don't have to feel ashamed of for understanding.

BrownGaijin:
I know this may seem a bit off topic, but since Bob opened the video with the Green Lantern I figured I might as well post this little tidbit I found

OT:

1. Yes I remember "If Looks Could Kill", especially the scene with the scorpion.
2. You know I almost wanted to defend Cars, and all the racing references, but I don't want to give up my club ring.

Ha! Love the "I'm a DC, and I'm a Marvel" videos. I am happy to hear the guy is still making them.

Cars and Cars 2 are pretty decent movies though like others have said they are kind of more exclusively for kids whereas the other Pixar movies are just as good for adults as well, so this to us makes it one of Pixars worst movies (which is fair enough) and its still a good movie (PIXAR DOES NO WRONG)

Onyx Oblivion:
Cars 2 is better?

Despite the focus on Mater?

*is confused*

I'll see it anyway.

NOW MAKE A FINDING NEMO 2!

Impossible, I'm afraid. Losing Nemo once is plausible, losing him twice just smacks of carelessness.

if you did recomend it i wouldn't go see it. no more kids movies at the cinema for me. ill wait for dvd. if only there was a cinema where they refused entry for mainstream audiences.

Ugh.....as much as I respect Pixar, Dreamworks and Disney for all the amazing stuff they have accomplished.....I just cannot get my head around why they need to use that goddamn stupid "face".

You know the one. Just look at the expressions of ALL the cars on the Escape To The Movies tag on the Escapist frontpage. Every single one of them is pulling that goddamn arrogant face with that stupid shit eating grin. Makes me want to puke every time I see it.

I never saw the first cars and im not going to break that tradition now.

LOL at the Furious5 at the end

shadowmagus:
I liked "Cars". I mean, it wasn't WallE or Toy Story, but it wasn't horrible. I'll likely not see this simply because I don't have kids, but I'll probably check it out after it releases On-Demand or something.

You pegged Cars perfectly. What's bothering me is that Cars gets a sequel when The Incredibles doesn't. Come on, Pixar, millions of people have got eight bucks for you, where's our super-sequel?

NewYork_Comedian:
But wait... Planes? Come on Pixar we know your better than that!

From what I understand Pixar is not the studio responsible for Planes. Which would make sense since I don't remember their logo being on the trailer. I believe its made by DisneyToon Studios

Bleeding Cool's article on it: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/07/20/scoop-it-isnt-pixar-making-the-cars-spin-off-planes/
Geek Dad: http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/06/new-from-pixar-er-disney-comes-planes/

SL33TBL1ND:

Great, another Futurama clip ruined by a bad post...

It IS irony. Bird is making a bad film(implied) when he is said to make some of Pixar's best films. That's non-literal intention if I ever saw one.

Avistew:
Did you... Did you just refer to a French movie?
Oh, wait. I went to find the wikipedia article to link to, and saw there was an American remake, the title of which would match your reference. Aww.

Yep, nice catch there. I liked both versions, actually, but most Americans will recognize the remake rather than the original, obviously. -:D

My problem here is that the concept's since been overdone in American comedy/spy films. It's a formula now, and I was not expecting "Cars" to do any better than any of its predecessors. Only Bob's verbal flailing has suggested otherwise to me.

On the subject of favourite Pixar films, I seem to be the only person who greatly preferred Toy Story to Toy Story 2. I remember going out of the theatre after seeing the second one and thinking "another sequel that doesn't live up to the original!" Still think it's okay, just not nearly as good in my opinion.
And yet, pretty much everyone else seems to like the second one not just better, but much better.

Hm. I honestly considered both to be about on par with each other, very enjoyable but nothing stood out as "better" between one to the other. In fact, it was the last film I couldn't understand people getting broken up over. It simply seemed like a natural evolution of the themes set up in the first two films --- humans grow up, but toys just fall apart over time and are ultimately relegated to the garbage heap. Memories of better times, and the fears of being rejected, forgotten and dying are themes throughout.

So I went and saw what I expected --- the same hopes and fears, writ larger, and with the Final End once again being ultimately postponed. It didn't shock or wring any tears of out me.

But I nonetheless recognize that it did, for a great many other people, and so credit where due.

JuggernautFox:
You say Mater's story is reminiscent of "If Looks Could Kill," but I thought it was more in line with "The Man Who Knew Too Little." If nothing else, it's a reference you don't have to feel ashamed of for understanding.

Heh, both of us pegged that one. -;)

fundayz:

SL33TBL1ND:

Great, another Futurama clip ruined by a bad post...

It IS irony. Bird is making a bad film(implied) when he is said to make some of Pixar's best films. That's non-literal intention if I ever saw one.

Sorry, Moez seemed to be implying that just the fact that Bird was making a film which is coincidentally referred to was irony, which isn't. So it can be interpreted both ways.

I go to the movies pretty much every weekend. Considering the things that are out that I haven't seen are Kung Fu Panda 2, POTC 4 and now Cars 2 and Bad Teacher...I think Cars 2 might be the most tempting, if only for my May/December crush on Michael Caine. I like Kung Fu Panda and all, but I'm supposed to see that with my cousin, and despite how much I adore Jason Segal, I have no desire to see Bad Teacher. And Pirates? Ugh. I'm done with it. So it's good to know this isn't terrible.

Also, that stinger at the end creeped me out. Thank you for that.

Towels:
Wow, Green Lantern was that bad, huh?
Oh Bob, Redneck NASCAR lovers are not Alpha Beta Jocks that hate nerds. Rednecks love nerds. After all, who's going to make all their meth?

That being said, I doubt I was ever going to consider seeing Cars 2 so I guess I just chimed in to waste your time!

I am so glad I'm not the only one who caught that reference.

NERDS. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZEdDMQZaCU

yeah!more toy story!!!

The moment he said cars 1 was the worst of all the movies Pixar has made I stopped the video...
Yes he clearly has his own opinion and I won't argue that, but I don't have to hear it either.

whoa...now that was a surprise! haha considering all the terrible awful stuff Cars 2 has been getting
but MovieBob pretty much hates all things southern America red states so I guess no surprise :p

anyway...he's right tho. the Cars world really is just Cybertron before the war......!

The more I watch Bob's reviews, the more I really dislike Bob. I get that you are going for the whole Zero Punctuation Ripoff thing here, but seriously, your supplemental review of Green Lantern was much better than your nerd rage laced rant from last week.

How was the pacing? Directing? Plot points? Overall Production. When you focus on those aspects, regardless of agreeing with you, I can make better viewing decisions, and thus find your show more entertaining and useful.

Personally, I still think you need to get over the wedgies and locker stuffing's and embrace the golden age or nerd/geekdom.

I think that the big problem with this movie is that it is neither a good movie for adults or a good movie for kids. The first cars was fairly shallow but it was right on the level for little kids. I don't think this movie is going to do very well.

I say this because I saw this movie in a theater packed with children and there wasn't any laughing going on, which is a real problem. My nephew got so bored that he asked his mom if he could leave halfway though, and he was one of those kids that loved the first cars, it was a daily watch for almost 5 months.

This might be the first Pixar movie to really fail. Word is going to get around fast that your kids wont like this movie and there is no other real reason to go.

Okay... So the original Cars was bad? Due to one dimensional characters? Boy, I bet Movie Bob really hated Avatar, with it's plethora of one-dimension canned stereotypes... Oh wait, he recommended Avatar didn't he?

Wow Bob seems so damn sure on this whole "No Green Lantern squeal will be made" thing

It might just take a lot of time, like between Batman And Robin and Batman Begins. That bit at the end makes me wonder why they dint' have Vin Deisel cameo as that black muscle car (assuming they don't).

I didn't pop Cars into the DVD player with high expectations, but it was actually a pretty decent movie. 'The Worst Pixar Film EVAR' still puts it well ahead of most of the films that get released every year.

Interesting to contrast this review with The AV Club's (they gave it a C-, while the reader ratings had initially been an F). Like Bob's point about Pixar geeks reflexively shunning a movie related to NASCAR, I get the feeling that the reviewer there was so negative because to do otherwise would have meant praising Larry the Cable Guy.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here