Dungeon Siege III Review

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Dungeon Siege III Review

Brainless hack and slash fun with more than a few flaws.

Read Full Article

I make the comment that it isn't just a defensive/offensive split between two skills; just two different paths you can mix/match from.

Edit: And uh... Not sure what else to say but; interesting review (With a lot of points I agree with, heh)?

Eh. The co-op thing isn't too bad...for me.

I've come to realize that I usually end up making two seperate characters for SP and MP in these kinda games, anyway. Or just end up very over-leveled/under-leveled.

As long as I still have fun, I should be good.

Gather:
I make the comment that it isn't just a defensive/offensive split between two skills; just two different paths you can mix/match from.

Edit: And uh... Not sure what else to say but; interesting review (With a lot of points I agree with, heh)?

Ah, yes, that is kind of misleading as I put it. They usually boil down to that split, but you're right, not always. Reworded for clarity. Thanks!

Kinda sucks that you can't see your characters face during the cut scenes.

BUT the BIGGEST beef I have with this game... NO CREATE A CHARACTER.

environments look fantastic, atleast from the 3 feet of them i can see... can't freaking look up at all

Was the game buggy at all? Obsidian games tend to be that way, I'm wondering if their bug-free promise is fulfilled.

As a fan of the dungeon crawler I was very dissapointed by this game, 2 hours in and I sent it back and started playing Fate again, which in my mind is a much more fun game.

I actually went into looking at this review thinking dungeon siege looked horrible from the trailers.

after seeing this review i thought dungeon siege looks good.

And Susan this isn't meant as a personal bash but your video review was full of alot of spoken game review cliches which kind of made me grind teeth a few times.

Mmm... I had noticed the camera doesn't give you near enough room to see everything when playing a ranged character... here's hoping they patch up the glaring multiplayer issue at least.

So the Co-op is like Fable 2's, where you can't bring your own character, and you're stuck playing as a henchman? That sucks, especially when the older Dungeon Siege games had eight man online parties.

Yet another 3D world limited to an isometric view. There's a demo.

i am really disappointed, i was looking forward to this but the fucked up co-op, not being able to create my own character and that the game lasts only 10 hours(it's an hack&slash those should last longer) really spoiled this one for me.

Irridium:
Was the game buggy at all? Obsidian games tend to be that way, I'm wondering if their bug-free promise is fulfilled.

Rock solid, at least what I played.

Soviet Heavy:
So the Co-op is like Fable 2's, where you can't bring your own character, and you're stuck playing as a henchman? That sucks, especially when the older Dungeon Siege games had eight man online parties.

Hell, even Fable gave them GOLD. As useless as that actually is in Fable 2.

Like I said at the top, though. Doesn't matter to me.

Irridium:

I haven't encountered any bugs in the time I played either. From a purely technical standpoint, this is easily the most stable and bug-free game Obsidian has ever been involved with. The bad and/or annoying design decisions are still par for the course though.

Susan Arendt:
Dungeon Siege III Review

Read Full Article

how about split screen? can player 2 still advance and save stuff if its split screen co-op?

The game lasts about 10-20 hours depending on what difficulty level you are playing, do you read lore, go after sidequests and whether or not you skip dialogue. It took me about 15 hours to finish the game. Now on my co-op run we've spent about 10 already and we've still got plenty to do.

Oh Susan, you always make me want to shake something!

Is it better than Dungeon Hunter: Alliance and Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale?

Hmm.. I was really in the mood for a game like this, but sounds like it won't do much to scratch that itch until the price is at least a bit lower.

RabbidKuriboh:

Susan Arendt:
Dungeon Siege III Review

Read Full Article

how about split screen? can player 2 still advance and save stuff if its split screen co-op?

Nope. You're playing as your buddy's NPC, and when that game switches off, that's it - you don't take anything with you. Now, any changes you make to the NPC you're controlling will stick, but that's it.

It's definitely fun, but I agree that the flaws are glaring and annoying

Irridium:

The game was remarkably bug free unless you count getting stuck 1-2 times in scenery(I had to walk back such a pain compared to getting stuck and forced to reload).I was really surprised by this.To be frank I didn't feel like I was playing an Obsidian game until I got to the Automatons.Those were a riot and the writing was amazing on their lines.

I can only say, that hers review of the game, are spot on. So many good this there are being hold down by a handful of bad things, where the really annoying camera was the main annoyance for me.

I thought Obsidian's cup of tea was making "Not-necessarily-too-FUN-to-play" Story driven games? I guess they're allowed to shake things up, but this does not interest me in the slightest.

Sorry you don't got nuthin' to shake Susan.

Susan Arendt:

Rock solid, at least what I played.

Virgil:
I haven't encountered any bugs in the time I played either. From a purely technical standpoint, this is easily the most stable and bug-free game Obsidian has ever been involved with. The bad and/or annoying design decisions are still par for the course though.

Hristo Tzonkov:

The game was remarkably bug free unless you count getting stuck 1-2 times in scenery(I had to walk back such a pain compared to getting stuck and forced to reload).I was really surprised by this.To be frank I didn't feel like I was playing an Obsidian game until I got to the Automatons.Those were a riot and the writing was amazing on their lines.

Well, guess I got to buy it. Twice. I did say I would if they got out a (reasonable)bug-free game after all...

Good to hear it's bug free, and that the game isn't as crappy as the demo.

Not sure why someone would play this on PC, with so many superior options out there. Nice that consoles finally have a Diablo-clone though. (I know x360 has Torchlight, but beyond that?...)

Susan, you completely echoed what I thought here. No, seriously- everything. Despite all its flaws, I enjoyed Dungeon Siege 3. With just a little bit more development time, the camera could've been fixed (the voice acting... less so. I agree with you about the clockwork constables being a riot, though. Reinhart is also a hoot).

UUuuuuuuugggghhhhhhhhhhh ................. Ya know as good as the combat parts look (camera parts aside) ........ how exactly is this a Dungeon Siege game again? I dont know what it is about the game but it just doesn't feel like anything i was expecting from a DS game, interesting yes, but not what i was looking for.

What I want to know is why the previous Dungeon Siege games on Steam are more expensive than Dungeon Siege III. You know 'cause I figured since I have never played a Dungeon Siege game before I'd go back and play the previous one first, before trying this one.

Levethian:
Not sure why someone would play this on PC, with so many superior options out there. Nice that consoles finally have a Diablo-clone though. (I know x360 has Torchlight, but beyond that?...)

This is very far from a diablo clone.

great review.
Perfect sums up my own experiences with this game..

The thing that actually upset me about the game was how broken the multiplayer is..

I played the entirety of the first dungeon siege multiplayer..
So the fact it isn't good is disappointing..

But other than that it is a fun hack and slash..

canadamus_prime:
What I want to know is why the previous Dungeon Siege games on Steam are more expensive than Dungeon Siege III. You know 'cause I figured since I have never played a Dungeon Siege game before I'd go back and play the previous one first, before trying this one.

I loved the first to games, but they dated very quickly..
In the almost 10 years since the first one came out things have charged significantly in games..
I'd recomend you just play the latest..
They game play, abilities and story is completely different from the first two..
So they wont really tell you anything about the experience of the third..
Just saying

Luke Cartner:

canadamus_prime:

I loved the first to games, but they dated very quickly..
In the almost 10 years since the first one came out things have charged significantly in games..
I'd recomend you just play the latest..
They game play, abilities and story is completely different from the first two..
So they wont really tell you anything about the experience of the third..
Just saying

It's really rather mute at this point since I can't afford either of them.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here